Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

PDF file

13 posts in Objects Last posting was on 2006-08-01 21:21:01.0Z
Marina Posted on 2006-07-31 14:26:18.0Z
Sender: 7406.44ce109f.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Marina
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: PDF file
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <44ce111b.748c.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.42
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:18:03 -0700, 10.22.241.42
Lines: 7
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:18:04 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 31 Jul 2006 07:26:18 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1154355978 10.22.108.75 (31 Jul 2006 07:26:18 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:26:18 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8990
Article PK: 736197

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to open and view PDF file in the PB
application using
one of the PB objects, for example DataWindow ?

Thank You


John Strano Posted on 2006-07-31 14:35:47.0Z
Reply-To: "John Strano" <nichtspam_jstrano@csi.com>
From: "John Strano" <nichtspam_jstrano@csi.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <44ce111b.748c.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: PDF file
Lines: 30
Organization: Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-concord-032.sybase.com
Message-ID: <44ce1353$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:27:31 -0700, vpn-concord-032.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:27:32 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 31 Jul 2006 07:35:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1154356547 10.22.108.75 (31 Jul 2006 07:35:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:35:47 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8991
Article PK: 736188

You may want to consider the ShellExecute Windows API function,
or the ActiveX/OCX embedded in hte free Acrobat Reader.

Real Gagnon has provided these links...

"Use file association to start an application"
http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0008.html

or


"Display PDF into a Window"
http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0208.html
--

John Strano
Sybase Technology Evangelist

<Marina> wrote in message news:44ce111b.748c.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> Is it possible to open and view PDF file in the PB
> application using
> one of the PB objects, for example DataWindow ?
>
> Thank You


Marina Posted on 2006-07-31 14:49:51.0Z
Sender: 35e9.44ce1567.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Marina
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
Subject: Re: PDF file
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <44ce188f.3615.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <44ce1353$1@forums-2-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 31 Jul 2006 07:49:51 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1154357391 10.22.241.41 (31 Jul 2006 07:49:51 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 07:49:51 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 41
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8992
Article PK: 736191

Thank you for your response.
Since I never work with OLE before, I do not realy
understand how to "Insert the 'Adobe Acrobat ActiveX
control' OLE control on the window (from the second example
that you sent to me). As far as I understand OLE is a
non-visual object. Could you, please, explain to me in more
details. Also the ActiveX is also new to me.

Thanks a lot.

> You may want to consider the ShellExecute Windows API
> function, or the ActiveX/OCX embedded in hte free Acrobat
> Reader.
>
> Real Gagnon has provided these links...
>
> "Use file association to start an application"
> http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0008.html
>
> or
>
>
> "Display PDF into a Window"
> http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0208.html
> --
>
> John Strano
> Sybase Technology Evangelist
>
>
>
> <Marina> wrote in message
> > news:44ce111b.748c.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone,
> >
> > Is it possible to open and view PDF file in the PB
> > application using
> > one of the PB objects, for example DataWindow ?
> >
> > Thank You
>
>


John Strano Posted on 2006-07-31 17:20:06.0Z
Reply-To: "John Strano" <nichtspam_jstrano@csi.com>
From: "John Strano" <nichtspam_jstrano@csi.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects
References: <44ce1353$1@forums-2-dub> <44ce188f.3615.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: PDF file
Lines: 71
Organization: Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-concord-032.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-concord-032.sybase.com
Message-ID: <44ce3bc6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2006 10:20:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1154366406 158.159.8.32 (31 Jul 2006 10:20:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2006 10:20:06 -0700, vpn-concord-032.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.objects:8993
Article PK: 736201

You may do this for a custom visual user object, a tabpage, etc,
but for this example, we'll use a window class.

- Open a new (or inherited) window in the window painter.
- From the menu, choose Insert>Control>OLE...
- When the "Insert Object" response window appears, select the "Insert
Control" tabpage
- Choose the Adobe Acrobat Document item (If you have the Adobe Acrobat
Reader installed on your workstation, this should be a valid choice in this
list)
- Use ole_1.object.src = <string path\filename> to display the file

Some developers have been having the ActiveX embedded with Acrobat's free
reader
not comply with the OLE specification hteir version of PowerBuilder uses.

You may want to Google search for keywords pdf, activex, ocx, viewer
to find some other ActiveX/OCX products, shareware and otherwise, that may
be more up to snuff.

You may also want to frequent our ole-ocx-activex newsgroup.
--

John Strano
Sybase Technology Evangelist

<Marina> wrote in message news:44ce188f.3615.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Thank you for your response.
> Since I never work with OLE before, I do not realy
> understand how to "Insert the 'Adobe Acrobat ActiveX
> control' OLE control on the window (from the second example
> that you sent to me). As far as I understand OLE is a
> non-visual object. Could you, please, explain to me in more
> details. Also the ActiveX is also new to me.
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> > You may want to consider the ShellExecute Windows API
> > function, or the ActiveX/OCX embedded in hte free Acrobat
> > Reader.
> >
> > Real Gagnon has provided these links...
> >
> > "Use file association to start an application"
> > http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0008.html
> >
> > or
> >
> >
> > "Display PDF into a Window"
> > http://www.rgagnon.com/pbdetails/pb-0208.html
> > --
> >
> > John Strano
> > Sybase Technology Evangelist
> >
> >
> >
> > <Marina> wrote in message
> > > news:44ce111b.748c.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi everyone,
> > >
> > > Is it possible to open and view PDF file in the PB
> > > application using
> > > one of the PB objects, for example DataWindow ?
> > >
> > > Thank You
> >
> >