Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Open DBF + NTX

5 posts in OLEDB Last posting was on 2006-12-03 20:15:58.0Z
Jos? M. C. Quintas Posted on 2006-11-28 20:05:24.0Z
From: "Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br>
Newsgroups: advantage.oledb
Subject: Open DBF + NTX
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 18:05:24 -0200
Lines: 7
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200.171.65.91
Message-ID: <456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 28 Nov 2006 13:01:27 -0700, 200.171.65.91
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!200.171.65.91
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.OLEDB:1185
Article PK: 1133706

What is needed to open DBF + NTX in a select?
Is needed a dictionary?
If needed, How I can do this?

Jos? M. C. Quintas


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2006-11-29 16:03:43.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.oledb
References: <456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Open DBF + NTX
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 09:03:43 -0700
Lines: 25
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <456dae65@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 29 Nov 2006 08:59:33 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.OLEDB:1187
Article PK: 1133708

Hi,

Yes - you are correct. In order for NTX files to be opened and used by SQL
statements, you need to use a data dictionary. Probably the simplest way to
do this is to use Advantage Data Architect to create a dictionary. Then add
the tables and indexes to it. In your application, connect to the data
dictionary (\\server\path\thedd.add). Then SQL statements will open (and
maintain) the NTX files that you associated with the DBF. Note that the
optimization capabilities with NTX indexes are limited, so the performance
may not be as good as if you are using CDX indexes.

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D

"Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br> wrote in message
news:456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> What is needed to open DBF + NTX in a select?
> Is needed a dictionary?
> If needed, How I can do this?
>
> Jos? M. C. Quintas
>


Jos? M. C. Quintas Posted on 2006-11-29 23:51:06.0Z
From: "Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br>
Newsgroups: advantage.oledb
References: <456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456dae65@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Open DBF + NTX
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 21:51:06 -0200
Lines: 39
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200.171.65.91
Message-ID: <456e1c13@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 29 Nov 2006 16:47:31 -0700, 200.171.65.91
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!200.171.65.91
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.OLEDB:1188
Article PK: 1133709

Thank You.
I am studying about all EXEs that work in databases.
Some EXEs works with more than one folder at a time.
Some DBFs have more than 1 million records.
A wrong work will be dangerous.

Jos? M. C. Quintas



"Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email> escreveu na mensagem
news:456dae65@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...

> Hi,
>
> Yes - you are correct. In order for NTX files to be opened and used by
> SQL statements, you need to use a data dictionary. Probably the simplest
> way to do this is to use Advantage Data Architect to create a dictionary.
> Then add the tables and indexes to it. In your application, connect to
> the data dictionary (\\server\path\thedd.add). Then SQL statements will
> open (and maintain) the NTX files that you associated with the DBF. Note
> that the optimization capabilities with NTX indexes are limited, so the
> performance may not be as good as if you are using CDX indexes.
>
> Mark Wilkins
> Advantage R&D
>
>
> "Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br> wrote in message
> news:456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>> What is needed to open DBF + NTX in a select?
>> Is needed a dictionary?
>> If needed, How I can do this?
>>
>> Jos? M. C. Quintas
>>
>
>


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2006-11-30 15:36:09.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.oledb
References: <456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456dae65@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456e1c13@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Open DBF + NTX
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 08:36:09 -0700
Lines: 23
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <456ef96e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 30 Nov 2006 08:31:58 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.OLEDB:1189
Article PK: 1133710


"Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br> wrote in message
news:456e1c13@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> Thank You.
> I am studying about all EXEs that work in databases.
> Some EXEs works with more than one folder at a time.

I think that works fine with a data dictionary.

> Some DBFs have more than 1 million records.

That shouldn't be a problem. Although for optimization purposes, you may
want to change to the ADS_CDX table type (FoxPro style tables).

> A wrong work will be dangerous.

I'm not sure I understand the question/statement.

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D


Jos? M. C. Quintas Posted on 2006-12-03 20:15:58.0Z
From: "Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br>
Newsgroups: advantage.oledb
References: <456c9597@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456dae65@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456e1c13@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <456ef96e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Open DBF + NTX
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 18:15:58 -0200
Lines: 40
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 200.171.65.91
Message-ID: <45732f89@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 3 Dec 2006 13:11:53 -0700, 200.171.65.91
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!200.171.65.91
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.OLEDB:1194
Article PK: 1133714

After delete some text parts, I delete more than needed.
Correct text is:
"I will change to CDX later.
I am studying about all EXEs that work in databases.
Some EXEs works with more than one folder at a time.
Some DBFs have more than 1 million records.
There are several locals using Clipper+Ntx that transfer data to a
centralized version using ADS.
A wrong work will be dangerous."

Jos? M. C. Quintas


"Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email> escreveu na mensagem
news:456ef96e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...

>
> "Jos? M. C. Quintas" <josedonews@mandic.com.br> wrote in message
> news:456e1c13@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>> Thank You.
>> I am studying about all EXEs that work in databases.
>> Some EXEs works with more than one folder at a time.
>
> I think that works fine with a data dictionary.
>
>> Some DBFs have more than 1 million records.
>
> That shouldn't be a problem. Although for optimization purposes, you may
> want to change to the ADS_CDX table type (FoxPro style tables).
>
>> A wrong work will be dangerous.
>
> I'm not sure I understand the question/statement.
>
> Mark Wilkins
> Advantage R&D
>
>
>