Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Creating a service

4 posts in Visual Basic Last posting was on 2006-12-06 20:10:42.0Z
Kyle Flavell Posted on 2006-12-05 17:23:47.0Z
Reply-To: "Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com>
From: "Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com>
Newsgroups: advantage.visual_basic
Subject: Creating a service
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 09:23:47 -0800
Lines: 7
Organization: Riverside Physician Network
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.203.64.98
Message-ID: <4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 5 Dec 2006 10:19:36 -0700, 209.203.64.98
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!209.203.64.98
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Visual_Basic:1120
Article PK: 1137913

I have created a VB6 application that I would like to convert to a windows
service. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation that
would show me what I need to do? Thanks!

Kyle


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2006-12-05 22:17:17.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.visual_basic
References: <4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Creating a service
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 15:17:17 -0700
Lines: 27
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <4575eef2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 5 Dec 2006 15:13:06 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Visual_Basic:1121
Article PK: 1137915

I don't have any experience with that, but I have one Mr. Google as my
advisor :) The top hit for "turn vb6 application into service" was the
following URL. A 30 second glance makes me think it would be worth reading
(or at least investing a couple minutes worth of scanning). It must be
pretty old since it talks about VB 3 through 5 and Win95 and NT, but maybe
it is still applicable.

http://vbwire.com/advanced/howto/service.asp

On the other hand it appears Microsoft strongly recommends against doing any
such thing:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175948

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D

"Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com> wrote in message
news:4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>I have created a VB6 application that I would like to convert to a windows
>service. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation that
>would show me what I need to do? Thanks!
>
> Kyle
>


Kyle Flavell Posted on 2006-12-06 18:35:42.0Z
Reply-To: "Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com>
From: "Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com>
Newsgroups: advantage.visual_basic
References: <4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4575eef2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Creating a service
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:35:42 -0800
Lines: 35
Organization: Riverside Physician Network
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 209.203.64.98
Message-ID: <45770c84@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 6 Dec 2006 11:31:32 -0700, 209.203.64.98
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!209.203.64.98
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Visual_Basic:1122
Article PK: 1137914

This doesn't sound like the direction I should be going. Do you know what
is normally used to create a windows service? C++ maybe?

"Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email> wrote in message
news:4575eef2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>I don't have any experience with that, but I have one Mr. Google as my
>advisor :) The top hit for "turn vb6 application into service" was the
>following URL. A 30 second glance makes me think it would be worth reading
>(or at least investing a couple minutes worth of scanning). It must be
>pretty old since it talks about VB 3 through 5 and Win95 and NT, but maybe
>it is still applicable.
>
> http://vbwire.com/advanced/howto/service.asp
>
> On the other hand it appears Microsoft strongly recommends against doing
> any such thing:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/175948
>
> Mark Wilkins
> Advantage R&D
>
> "Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com> wrote in message
> news:4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
>>I have created a VB6 application that I would like to convert to a windows
>>service. Can anyone point me in the direction of some documentation that
>>would show me what I need to do? Thanks!
>>
>> Kyle
>>
>
>


Mark Wilkins Posted on 2006-12-06 20:10:42.0Z
From: "Mark Wilkins" <mark@no.email>
Newsgroups: advantage.visual_basic
References: <4575aa28@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4575eef2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <45770c84@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Creating a service
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 13:10:42 -0700
Lines: 15
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2869
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.228
Message-ID: <457722c7@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 6 Dec 2006 13:06:31 -0700, 10.24.38.228
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.228
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Visual_Basic:1123
Article PK: 1137916

I suspect (with no evidence) that most services are written in C/C++.
However, I believe it is possible to create a service using the .NET
framework through C# or VB.NET. If so, that would probably be the simplest
route. I think Delphi would also be an option.

Mark Wilkins
Advantage R&D

"Kyle Flavell" <kflavell@rpndocs.com> wrote in message
news:45770c84@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> This doesn't sound like the direction I should be going. Do you know what
> is normally used to create a windows service? C++ maybe?
>