Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

JSF Web Application Deployment

8 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2007-02-09 18:50:30.0Z
Steve Drahus Posted on 2007-02-07 19:34:51.0Z
Reply-To: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
From: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: JSF Web Application Deployment
Lines: 18
Organization: ING
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1896
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
Message-ID: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Feb 2007 12:34:51 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1170880491 204.86.34.1 (7 Feb 2007 12:34:51 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Feb 2007 12:34:51 -0700, 204.86.34.1
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:318
Article PK: 1088002

Hi,



Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something other
then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work on
Weblogic and WebSphere.



Any insight would be appreciated.



Steve


"Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak Posted on 2007-02-08 14:38:06.0Z
From: "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
Lines: 36
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-048.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-048.sybase.com
Message-ID: <45cb43de@forums-1-dub>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 07:38:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1170949086 10.22.120.48 (8 Feb 2007 07:38:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Feb 2007 07:38:06 -0700, vpn-dub-048.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:319
Article PK: 1088003

Steve,

The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
production.

the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like weblogic, you
will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have a
server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...


jeff

"Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi,
>
>
>
> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
> other
> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work on
> Weblogic and WebSphere.
>
>
>
> Any insight would be appreciated.
>
>
>
> Steve
>
>


Steve Drahus Posted on 2007-02-08 16:47:25.0Z
Reply-To: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
From: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
Lines: 49
Organization: ING
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
Message-ID: <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 09:47:25 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1170956845 204.86.34.1 (8 Feb 2007 09:47:25 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Feb 2007 09:47:25 -0700, 204.86.34.1
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:320
Article PK: 1088004

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available in
future releases of Workspace?

Steve

"Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
> Steve,
>
> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
> production.
>
> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like weblogic,
you
> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have a
> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
>
>
> jeff
>
>
> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
> > Hi,
> >
> >
> >
> > Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
> > other
> > then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
> > application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work on
> > Weblogic and WebSphere.
> >
> >
> >
> > Any insight would be appreciated.
> >
> >
> >
> > Steve
> >
> >
>
>


Jonathan Baker [Sybase] Posted on 2007-02-08 20:52:24.0Z
From: "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 (Windows/20061207)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub> <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-159.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-159.sybase.com
Message-ID: <45cb9b98@forums-1-dub>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 13:52:24 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1170971544 10.22.120.159 (8 Feb 2007 13:52:24 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Feb 2007 13:52:24 -0700, vpn-dub-159.sybase.com
Lines: 59
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:321
Article PK: 1088005

Unfortunately, no.

The web application toolkit is currently in "maintenance mode" so we
aren't adding any new functionality. That means no additional servers
either. Sorry.


Jonathan

Steve Drahus wrote:
> Hi Jeff,
>
> Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
> question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available in
> future releases of Workspace?
>
> Steve
>
> "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
> news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
>> Steve,
>>
>> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
>> production.
>>
>> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like weblogic,
> you
>> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have a
>> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
>>
>>
>> jeff
>>
>>
>> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
>> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
>>> other
>>> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
>>> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work on
>>> Weblogic and WebSphere.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Any insight would be appreciated.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>>
>>
>
>


Steve Drahus Posted on 2007-02-09 12:42:08.0Z
Reply-To: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
From: "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub> <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb9b98@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
Lines: 95
Organization: ING
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1807
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1807
NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 204.86.34.1
Message-ID: <45cc6c20$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Feb 2007 04:42:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1171024928 204.86.34.1 (9 Feb 2007 04:42:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2007 04:42:08 -0800, 204.86.34.1
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:322
Article PK: 1088007

Hi Jonathan,



Unfortunate is the correct word. The JSF Datawindow is without question a
powerful object. I have worked in a number of PB shops looking to migrate
their legacy PB applications to a Java (non-EAServer) web platform. Having
the JSF Datawindow available would dramatically reduce the time and cost
associated with migrating the applications. Even non-PB shops would benefit
from the ease of developing a web interface. Trying to code even a small
portion of the functionality available in the JSF Datawindow using straight
JSP/Struts or other available JSF components would take significantly
longer.



For all its benefits, I can't recommend this product to my company because
it doesn't support our corporate enterprise web solution. Limiting the
deployment to EAServer is incredibly short sighted. I am sure sales of
Workspace would dramatically increase if it was available for more popular
enterprise Java containers.



Steve

"Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:45cb9b98@forums-1-dub...
> Unfortunately, no.
>
> The web application toolkit is currently in "maintenance mode" so we
> aren't adding any new functionality. That means no additional servers
> either. Sorry.
>
>
> Jonathan
>
>
> Steve Drahus wrote:
> > Hi Jeff,
> >
> > Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
> > question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available
in
> > future releases of Workspace?
> >
> > Steve
> >
> > "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
> > news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
> >> Steve,
> >>
> >> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
> >> production.
> >>
> >> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like
weblogic,
> > you
> >> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have
a
> >> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
> >>
> >>
> >> jeff
> >>
> >>
> >> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
> >> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
> >>> Hi,
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
> >>> other
> >>> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
> >>> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work
on
> >>> Weblogic and WebSphere.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Any insight would be appreciated.
> >>>
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> Steve
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >
> >


Jonathan Baker [Sybase] Posted on 2007-02-09 14:32:39.0Z
From: "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 (Windows/20061207)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub> <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb9b98@forums-1-dub> <45cc6c20$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <45cc6c20$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: c-69-255-248-154.hsd1.va.comcast.net
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: c-69-255-248-154.hsd1.va.comcast.net
Message-ID: <45cc8607$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Feb 2007 06:32:39 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1171031559 69.255.248.154 (9 Feb 2007 06:32:39 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2007 06:32:39 -0800, c-69-255-248-154.hsd1.va.comcast.net
Lines: 119
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:324
Article PK: 1088010

Steve -

Ah, if only I could guarantee revenue "would dramatically increase" for
this product. Unfortunately, with our options, I don't think that would
be the case.

There are options to solve your problem that don't need the JSF
datawindow controller. The best option is to use PowerBuilder, and
deploy the datawindows in NVO's to the new PowerBuilder Application
Server Plug-in. That plug-in allows you to deploy PB components to
other application servers (IBM, BEA, & JBoss are the first). Then you
can use the full-blown datawindow in any Java technology you prefer.

The plug-in is due for release any week now, but you should be able to
get a beta copy for testing by contacting your sales person or calling
Sybase sales directly (our tele-sales group are good at finding that
kind of thing).

Let me know if that solves your problem...



Jonathan

Steve Drahus wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
>
>
>
> Unfortunate is the correct word. The JSF Datawindow is without question a
> powerful object. I have worked in a number of PB shops looking to migrate
> their legacy PB applications to a Java (non-EAServer) web platform. Having
> the JSF Datawindow available would dramatically reduce the time and cost
> associated with migrating the applications. Even non-PB shops would benefit
> from the ease of developing a web interface. Trying to code even a small
> portion of the functionality available in the JSF Datawindow using straight
> JSP/Struts or other available JSF components would take significantly
> longer.
>
>
>
> For all its benefits, I can't recommend this product to my company because
> it doesn't support our corporate enterprise web solution. Limiting the
> deployment to EAServer is incredibly short sighted. I am sure sales of
> Workspace would dramatically increase if it was available for more popular
> enterprise Java containers.
>
>
>
> Steve
>
>
>
> "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:45cb9b98@forums-1-dub...
>> Unfortunately, no.
>>
>> The web application toolkit is currently in "maintenance mode" so we
>> aren't adding any new functionality. That means no additional servers
>> either. Sorry.
>>
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>>
>> Steve Drahus wrote:
>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>
>>> Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
>>> question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available
> in
>>> future releases of Workspace?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>> "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
>>> news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
>>>> Steve,
>>>>
>>>> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
>>>> production.
>>>>
>>>> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like
> weblogic,
>>> you
>>>> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have
> a
>>>> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> jeff
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
>>>> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
>>>>> other
>>>>> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
>>>>> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work
> on
>>>>> Weblogic and WebSphere.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Any insight would be appreciated.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> Steve
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>
>
>


"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_ Posted on 2007-02-09 16:27:04.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_@_sybase_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
Message-ID: <077ps2t9oifkolbln5pribeefgj0r9j30g@4ax.com>
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub> <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb9b98@forums-1-dub> <45cc6c20$1@forums-1-dub> <45cc8607$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 3.3/32.846
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilxp.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilxp.sybase.com
Date: 9 Feb 2007 08:27:04 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1171038424 10.18.62.216 (9 Feb 2007 08:27:04 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2007 08:27:04 -0800, joneilxp.sybase.com
Lines: 129
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:325
Article PK: 1088009

Actually, the plug-in is available and shipping now - with a discount
on Sybase's e-shop through March! We're a little behind in getting an
eval up and running on the web, but that should be imminent.

Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want further
information.

On 9 Feb 2007 06:32:39 -0800, "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]"

<lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote:

>Steve -
>
>Ah, if only I could guarantee revenue "would dramatically increase" for
>this product. Unfortunately, with our options, I don't think that would
>be the case.
>
>There are options to solve your problem that don't need the JSF
>datawindow controller. The best option is to use PowerBuilder, and
>deploy the datawindows in NVO's to the new PowerBuilder Application
>Server Plug-in. That plug-in allows you to deploy PB components to
>other application servers (IBM, BEA, & JBoss are the first). Then you
>can use the full-blown datawindow in any Java technology you prefer.
>
>The plug-in is due for release any week now, but you should be able to
>get a beta copy for testing by contacting your sales person or calling
>Sybase sales directly (our tele-sales group are good at finding that
>kind of thing).
>
>Let me know if that solves your problem...
>
>
>
>Jonathan
>
>
>Steve Drahus wrote:
>> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>>
>>
>> Unfortunate is the correct word. The JSF Datawindow is without question a
>> powerful object. I have worked in a number of PB shops looking to migrate
>> their legacy PB applications to a Java (non-EAServer) web platform. Having
>> the JSF Datawindow available would dramatically reduce the time and cost
>> associated with migrating the applications. Even non-PB shops would benefit
>> from the ease of developing a web interface. Trying to code even a small
>> portion of the functionality available in the JSF Datawindow using straight
>> JSP/Struts or other available JSF components would take significantly
>> longer.
>>
>>
>>
>> For all its benefits, I can't recommend this product to my company because
>> it doesn't support our corporate enterprise web solution. Limiting the
>> deployment to EAServer is incredibly short sighted. I am sure sales of
>> Workspace would dramatically increase if it was available for more popular
>> enterprise Java containers.
>>
>>
>>
>> Steve
>>
>>
>>
>> "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> news:45cb9b98@forums-1-dub...
>>> Unfortunately, no.
>>>
>>> The web application toolkit is currently in "maintenance mode" so we
>>> aren't adding any new functionality. That means no additional servers
>>> either. Sorry.
>>>
>>>
>>> Jonathan
>>>
>>>
>>> Steve Drahus wrote:
>>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
>>>> question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available
>> in
>>>> future releases of Workspace?
>>>>
>>>> Steve
>>>>
>>>> "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
>>>> news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
>>>>> Steve,
>>>>>
>>>>> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
>>>>> production.
>>>>>
>>>>> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like
>> weblogic,
>>>> you
>>>>> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have
>> a
>>>>> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> jeff
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
>>>>> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
>>>>>> other
>>>>>> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
>>>>>> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work
>> on
>>>>>> Weblogic and WebSphere.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Any insight would be appreciated.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Steve
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>
>>
>>


Jonathan Baker [Sybase] Posted on 2007-02-09 18:50:30.0Z
From: "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.9 (Windows/20061207)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: JSF Web Application Deployment
References: <45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb43de@forums-1-dub> <45cb622d$1@forums-1-dub> <45cb9b98@forums-1-dub> <45cc6c20$1@forums-1-dub> <45cc8607$1@forums-1-dub> <077ps2t9oifkolbln5pribeefgj0r9j30g@4ax.com>
In-Reply-To: <077ps2t9oifkolbln5pribeefgj0r9j30g@4ax.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-087.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-087.sybase.com
Message-ID: <45ccc276$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Feb 2007 10:50:30 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1171047030 10.22.120.87 (9 Feb 2007 10:50:30 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Feb 2007 10:50:30 -0800, vpn-dub-087.sybase.com
Lines: 134
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:326
Article PK: 1088008

Excellent. Thanks Jim.


Jonathan

Jim O'Neil [Sybase] wrote:
> Actually, the plug-in is available and shipping now - with a discount
> on Sybase's e-shop through March! We're a little behind in getting an
> eval up and running on the web, but that should be imminent.
>
> Please feel free to e-mail me directly if you want further
> information.
>
> On 9 Feb 2007 06:32:39 -0800, "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]"
> <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote:
>
>> Steve -
>>
>> Ah, if only I could guarantee revenue "would dramatically increase" for
>> this product. Unfortunately, with our options, I don't think that would
>> be the case.
>>
>> There are options to solve your problem that don't need the JSF
>> datawindow controller. The best option is to use PowerBuilder, and
>> deploy the datawindows in NVO's to the new PowerBuilder Application
>> Server Plug-in. That plug-in allows you to deploy PB components to
>> other application servers (IBM, BEA, & JBoss are the first). Then you
>> can use the full-blown datawindow in any Java technology you prefer.
>>
>> The plug-in is due for release any week now, but you should be able to
>> get a beta copy for testing by contacting your sales person or calling
>> Sybase sales directly (our tele-sales group are good at finding that
>> kind of thing).
>>
>> Let me know if that solves your problem...
>>
>>
>>
>> Jonathan
>>
>>
>> Steve Drahus wrote:
>>> Hi Jonathan,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Unfortunate is the correct word. The JSF Datawindow is without question a
>>> powerful object. I have worked in a number of PB shops looking to migrate
>>> their legacy PB applications to a Java (non-EAServer) web platform. Having
>>> the JSF Datawindow available would dramatically reduce the time and cost
>>> associated with migrating the applications. Even non-PB shops would benefit
>>> from the ease of developing a web interface. Trying to code even a small
>>> portion of the functionality available in the JSF Datawindow using straight
>>> JSP/Struts or other available JSF components would take significantly
>>> longer.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> For all its benefits, I can't recommend this product to my company because
>>> it doesn't support our corporate enterprise web solution. Limiting the
>>> deployment to EAServer is incredibly short sighted. I am sure sales of
>>> Workspace would dramatically increase if it was available for more popular
>>> enterprise Java containers.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> "Jonathan Baker [Sybase]" <lastnamefirstinitial@sybase.com> wrote in message
>>> news:45cb9b98@forums-1-dub...
>>>> Unfortunately, no.
>>>>
>>>> The web application toolkit is currently in "maintenance mode" so we
>>>> aren't adding any new functionality. That means no additional servers
>>>> either. Sorry.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Jonathan
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Steve Drahus wrote:
>>>>> Hi Jeff,
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks for the information. Do you know (or know where I could direct my
>>>>> question) if a plugin to support Weblogic or WebSphere will be available
>>> in
>>>>> future releases of Workspace?
>>>>>
>>>>> Steve
>>>>>
>>>>> "Jeff Pryslak" <jeff.pryslak@sybase.com_nospam> wrote in message
>>>>> news:45cb43de@forums-1-dub...
>>>>>> Steve,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> The plugin is only supported on tomcat and EAS, and really only EAS for
>>>>>> production.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> the JNI libraries are doing local lookup, so for a server like
>>> weblogic,
>>>>> you
>>>>>> will have to place the PB dll's in the proper lib directory. dont have
>>> a
>>>>>> server available to me, so will have to leave it at that...
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> jeff
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> "Steve Drahus" <Steve.Drahus@us.ing.com> wrote in message
>>>>>> news:45ca37eb$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>>>>> Hi,
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Can a JSF web application built in Workspace be deployed on something
>>>>>>> other
>>>>>>> then EAServer? I was able to successfully install my test JSF web
>>>>>>> application on Tomcat, but I am having difficulty getting it to work
>>> on
>>>>>>> Weblogic and WebSphere.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Any insight would be appreciated.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Steve
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>