Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied

16 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2007-06-01 14:43:40.0Z
madhu Posted on 2007-05-29 19:27:13.0Z
From: "madhu" <madhu.sangam@mobiledataforce.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 16
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 May 2007 12:27:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180466833 71.36.27.125 (29 May 2007 12:27:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 May 2007 12:27:13 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6039
Article PK: 2498

Version - 10.0.1.3488

Hello,

I am starting dbsrv10 and mlsrv10 as services. mlsrv10 service is dependent
on dbsrv10 service. Things are working fine till i use an @datafile option
in the commandline to create the dbsrv10 service. From that point on, when
the mobilink service attempts to start, it gives me a -75 - request to start
or stop database denied.

I have done multiple tests to confirm that this will happen only when an
@datafile option is used to start the database server.

Priyesh


Jeff Albion (iAnywhere Solutions) Posted on 2007-05-29 19:31:47.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion (iAnywhere Solutions)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.0 (Windows/20070326)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: jalbion-d620.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: jalbion-d620.sybase.com
Message-ID: <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 May 2007 12:31:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180467107 10.25.98.166 (29 May 2007 12:31:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 May 2007 12:31:47 -0700, jalbion-d620.sybase.com
Lines: 31
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6040
Article PK: 2497

This sounds like a fairly solid reproducible. If you have the datafile
you're using, you can post it here for others to take a look at.

--
Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
iAnywhere Solutions

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0

madhu wrote:
> Version - 10.0.1.3488
>
> Hello,
>
> I am starting dbsrv10 and mlsrv10 as services. mlsrv10 service is dependent
> on dbsrv10 service. Things are working fine till i use an @datafile option
> in the commandline to create the dbsrv10 service. From that point on, when
> the mobilink service attempts to start, it gives me a -75 - request to start
> or stop database denied.
>
> I have done multiple tests to confirm that this will happen only when an
> @datafile option is used to start the database server.
>
> Priyesh
>
>


madhu Posted on 2007-05-29 23:35:10.0Z
From: "madhu" <madhu.sangam@mobiledataforce.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 63
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 May 2007 16:35:10 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180481710 71.36.27.125 (29 May 2007 16:35:10 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 May 2007 16:35:10 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6041
Article PK: 2499

The following is the mobilink datafile

-c "dsn=four_DELL02;uid=DBA;pwd=123;LINKS=tcpip" -o
"C:\Work\logs\Server_four.log" -os 5m -sl
dnet(-MLAutoLoadPath=C:\Work\Projects\DEVELO~1\bin\Debug\System\Data) -q -fr
-x tcpip(port=2439)



The following is the database server datafile

-x tcpip(port=2638) -n v14
"C:\Work\bin\Debug\System\Data\four_DELL02\PointSyncDB.db"


The following is the dsn creation


C:\Program Files\SQL Anywhere 10\win32\dbdsn.exe -ws "four_DELL02" -y -c
"
DBF=C:\Projects\bin\Debug\System\Data\four_DELL02\SyncDB;DBN=SyncDB;ENG=four_DELL02;START=C:\Program
Files\SQL Anywhere 10\win32\dbsrv10.exe;PWD=;UID= " -q


Thanks

"Jeff Albion (iAnywhere Solutions)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote
in message news:465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub...
> This sounds like a fairly solid reproducible. If you have the datafile
> you're using, you can post it here for others to take a look at.
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Product Support Analyst
> iAnywhere Solutions
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> ASA Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
>
> madhu wrote:
>> Version - 10.0.1.3488
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am starting dbsrv10 and mlsrv10 as services. mlsrv10 service is
>> dependent on dbsrv10 service. Things are working fine till i use an
>> @datafile option in the commandline to create the dbsrv10 service. From
>> that point on, when the mobilink service attempts to start, it gives me
>> a -75 - request to start or stop database denied.
>>
>> I have done multiple tests to confirm that this will happen only when an
>> @datafile option is used to start the database server.
>>
>> Priyesh
>
>


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-05-30 00:04:46.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 May 2007 17:04:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180483486 72.143.69.7 (29 May 2007 17:04:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 May 2007 17:04:46 -0700, cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 51
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6042
Article PK: 2501

I am not sure why you are getting the error that you are getting. The
engine configuration file starts a different database file on a
different database engine. Are you sure that this reflects accurately
the configuration that is being used?


Here are some observations that may help:

1) The server startup command uses an engine name of v14 and and
database name of PointSyncDb. The DBN is the default value. You may want
to specify the database name by using a -n after the database file

i.e., -n servername -x tcpip c:\dbfile.db -n databasename

2) The DSN uses an engine name of four_DELL02 and a database name of SyncDB.

3) The DSN is configured to start an engine and a database file. Is this
still required given that you plan to start a database server as a
service.

4) If you need to start a different database on the database running as
a service, the engine needs to be started with the -gk option and the
dsn must properly reference the correct engine name.




--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-05-30 17:25:42.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 77
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465db396$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 May 2007 10:25:42 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180545942 71.36.27.125 (30 May 2007 10:25:42 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 May 2007 10:25:42 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6044
Article PK: 2505

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. I see there could be some issues in the database name
/ engine name areas. I am in the process of isolating this issue by
completely doing it through batch files as oppposed to the application
interface we are developing. Once i have some results, i will post here.

I have a couple of questions for you in this regard.

One of the things we always struggled with is wrapping the command line
tools. dbsrv10 and all it's options for eg. Is there an API for this that we
can call into ? We are using .NET 1.1 (Visual Studio 2003) and C# as our
primary development tool.

Do we still have to use a DSN if we start the database service and connect
mobilink to it by name? Why does mobilink always complain datasource name
not found if i take away the DSN? The reason why i ask this is because with
@datafiles, we dont really see the need for creating a DSN.

Priyesh

"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub...
>I am not sure why you are getting the error that you are getting. The
>engine configuration file starts a different database file on a different
>database engine. Are you sure that this reflects accurately the
>configuration that is being used?
>
>
> Here are some observations that may help:
>
> 1) The server startup command uses an engine name of v14 and and database
> name of PointSyncDb. The DBN is the default value. You may want to specify
> the database name by using a -n after the database file
>
> i.e., -n servername -x tcpip c:\dbfile.db -n databasename
>
> 2) The DSN uses an engine name of four_DELL02 and a database name of
> SyncDB.
>
> 3) The DSN is configured to start an engine and a database file. Is this
> still required given that you plan to start a database server as a
> service.
>
> 4) If you need to start a different database on the database running as a
> service, the engine needs to be started with the -gk option and the dsn
> must properly reference the correct engine name.
>
>
>
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
> Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and
> small to medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> *****************************************************************************


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-05-30 20:29:07.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465db396$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
Message-ID: <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 May 2007 13:29:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180556947 10.25.99.119 (30 May 2007 13:29:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 May 2007 13:29:07 -0700, keating-dm20.sybase.com
Lines: 37
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6045
Article PK: 2503

Can you elaborate on your meaning of "wrapping the command line
tools. dbsrv10 and all it's options"

Mobilink can make a DSNLess connection if you want to avoid defining a
DSN. To do so, use DRIVER={..} in your connection string as in the
example below:


dbmlsrv9 -c "DRIVER={SQL Anywhere 10}; <connection string>"....

For readers who are not using SA10, simply replace the value provided in
Driver={...} with the desired ODBC driver name.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-05-30 20:39:35.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 18
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465de107@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 May 2007 13:39:35 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180557575 71.36.27.125 (30 May 2007 13:39:35 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 May 2007 13:39:35 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6047
Article PK: 2504


"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465dde93$1@forums-1-dub...
> Can you elaborate on your meaning of "wrapping the command line
> tools. dbsrv10 and all it's options"
>

Yes. To start the database server for eg, we use C# code to ultimately do a
CreateProcess for dbsrv10 with the commandline arguments like something as
-n 123 -x tcpip -ec
tls(tls_type=rsa;certificate=c:\123\server_cert.crt;certificate_password=mypwd123)
"C:\Documents and Settings\priyesh\PointSyncDB.db"

I am wondering if we could add an IAnywhere reference and do some api calls
instead of running command line tools.

Priyesh


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-05-31 01:13:06.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465de107@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 May 2007 18:13:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180573986 72.143.69.7 (30 May 2007 18:13:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 May 2007 18:13:06 -0700, cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 29
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6050
Article PK: 2507

Is there some reason you want to do this instead of configuring the
engine to start as a service. That said, you can, if needed, start an
engine as part of your connection. To do so, use the connection parm
START=<engine start line>.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-05-31 13:45:00.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 47
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 May 2007 06:45:00 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180619100 71.36.27.125 (31 May 2007 06:45:00 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 May 2007 06:45:00 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6053
Article PK: 2513

Chris,

We are starting the engine as a service. I was referring to dbsrv10 as an
example. The difficulty
in dealing with command line utilities is the disconnected nature of the
utility. If there is an issue while
executing the utility, we have to check a log file etc instead of calling an
API to do the same and getting a return value right away
or checking last error etc. To pass arguments to the utility, we have to
make strings from the existing arguments and pass them
etc.

Priyesh

"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465e2122$1@forums-1-dub...
> Is there some reason you want to do this instead of configuring the engine
> to start as a service. That said, you can, if needed, start an engine as
> part of your connection. To do so, use the connection parm START=<engine
> start line>.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
> Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and
> small to medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> *****************************************************************************


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-05-31 14:00:09.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: keating-dm20.sybase.com
Message-ID: <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 May 2007 07:00:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180620009 10.25.99.119 (31 May 2007 07:00:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 May 2007 07:00:09 -0700, keating-dm20.sybase.com
Lines: 28
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6054
Article PK: 2514

Depending on what "tools" you mean, the dbtools API may contain the
methods you need.


--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-05-31 16:50:54.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 May 2007 09:50:54 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180630254 71.36.27.125 (31 May 2007 09:50:54 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 May 2007 09:50:54 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6055
Article PK: 2516

Chris,

We have looked into the dbtools api. It does not cover all the command line
tools. dbsvc, mlsrv*, dbsrv* etc. Our IDE does things similar to Sybase
Central and we have always found it tedious to have to deal with command
line tools. The thing that makes development hard here is that the command
line tools run as a separate process and as i mentioned earlier, the
interaction / error / status gathering from them is difficult.

Priyesh

"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465ed4e9@forums-1-dub...
> Depending on what "tools" you mean, the dbtools API may contain the
> methods you need.
>
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
> Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and
> small to medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> *****************************************************************************


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-06-01 00:44:06.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub> <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 May 2007 17:44:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180658646 72.143.69.7 (31 May 2007 17:44:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 May 2007 17:44:06 -0700, cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 29
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6056
Article PK: 2512

dbsrvX and dbmlsrvX are not command line tools.

As for the service creation utility, you can implement this
functionality yourself using the Windows SDK.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-06-01 14:41:14.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub> <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub> <465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <4660300a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Jun 2007 07:41:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180708874 71.36.27.125 (1 Jun 2007 07:41:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Jun 2007 07:41:14 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6058
Article PK: 2515

Chris,

I think the reluctance towards dbtools api - atleast in our environment - is
that it's a C API and
that we develop in C#. This is not a problem at all, but compared with other
.NET assemblies from IAnywhere
for database access, etc it seemed there would be a .NET assembly wrapping
these tools. Reading your answer
makes me think that you encourage to use dbtools api. We will start looking
in that direction then.

Priyesh

"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub...
> dbsrvX and dbmlsrvX are not command line tools.
>
> As for the service creation utility, you can implement this functionality
> yourself using the Windows SDK.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
> Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and
> small to medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> *****************************************************************************


Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2007-06-01 00:47:31.0Z
From: "Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub> <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub> <465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <465f6ca3$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 May 2007 17:47:31 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180658851 72.143.69.7 (31 May 2007 17:47:31 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 May 2007 17:47:31 -0700, cpe001217e36468-cm0014e8868e10.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 31
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6057
Article PK: 2519

To clarify, the engines are not command line tools in the context that
we define command line tools.

You may want to consider running the servers as services rather than
processes in your application. Your application can stop and start the
service if you do not want them running continuously.

--

Chris Keating
Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8

*****************************************************************************

Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded
and small to medium sized business environments for free!

http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html

*****************************************************************************

iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com

** Please only post to the newsgroup

** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com

*****************************************************************************


Priyesh Posted on 2007-06-01 14:43:40.0Z
From: "Priyesh" <priyesh_do_not_reply>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub> <465c7fa3$1@forums-1-dub> <465cb8ae$1@forums-1-dub> <465cbf9e$1@forums-1-dub> <465db396$1@forums-1-dub> <465dde93$1@forums-1-dub> <465de107@forums-1-dub> <465e2122$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed15c$1@forums-1-dub> <465ed4e9@forums-1-dub> <465efcee$1@forums-1-dub> <465f6bd6$1@forums-1-dub> <465f6ca3$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3028
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3028
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.36.27.125
Message-ID: <4660309c$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Jun 2007 07:43:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180709020 71.36.27.125 (1 Jun 2007 07:43:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Jun 2007 07:43:40 -0700, 71.36.27.125
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6059
Article PK: 2517

Chris,
These are run as services. Although we started out using dbsvc, we are now
trying to migrate to using windows SDK for these.

Priyesh

"Chris Keating (Sybase iAnywhere)" <keating@iAnywhere.Dot.com> wrote in
message news:465f6ca3$1@forums-1-dub...
> To clarify, the engines are not command line tools in the context that we
> define command line tools.
>
> You may want to consider running the servers as services rather than
> processes in your application. Your application can stop and start the
> service if you do not want them running continuously.
>
> --
>
> Chris Keating
> Sybase Adaptive Server Anywhere Professional Version 8
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> Sign up today for your copy of the SQL Anywhere Studio 10 Developer
> Edition =and try out the market-leading database for mobile, embedded and
> small to medium sized business environments for free!
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/downloads/software/sql_anywhere_intro.html
>
> *****************************************************************************
>
> iAnywhere Solutions http://www.iAnywhere.com
>
> ** Please only post to the newsgroup
>
> ** Whitepapers can be found at http://www.iAnywhere.com/developer
> ** EBFs can be found at http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
> ** Use Case Express to report bugs http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> *****************************************************************************


nazir Posted on 2007-05-30 20:35:51.0Z
Reply-To: "nazir" <gian_lucien@yahoo.com>
From: "nazir" <gian_lucien@yahoo.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: mlsrv10 - request to start/stop database denied
Lines: 20
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2962
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: nyhqoutbound.unicef.org
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: nyhqoutbound.unicef.org
Message-ID: <465de027$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 30 May 2007 13:35:51 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1180557351 57.69.14.65 (30 May 2007 13:35:51 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 May 2007 13:35:51 -0700, nyhqoutbound.unicef.org
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6046
Article PK: 2506

test

"madhu" <madhu.sangam@mobiledataforce.com> wrote in message
news:465c7e91$1@forums-1-dub...
> Version - 10.0.1.3488
>
> Hello,
>
> I am starting dbsrv10 and mlsrv10 as services. mlsrv10 service is
> dependent on dbsrv10 service. Things are working fine till i use an
> @datafile option in the commandline to create the dbsrv10 service. From
> that point on, when the mobilink service attempts to start, it gives me
> a -75 - request to start or stop database denied.
>
> I have done multiple tests to confirm that this will happen only when an
> @datafile option is used to start the database server.
>
> Priyesh
>