Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?

6 posts in NT Last posting was on 2007-07-04 07:57:23.0Z
nss Posted on 2007-07-03 02:31:24.0Z
From: "nss" <lafdnss@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
Subject: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 19:31:24 -0700
Lines: 17
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.136.21.189
Message-ID: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Jul 2007 20:26:46 -0700, 71.136.21.189
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!71.136.21.189
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1647
Article PK: 1130671

Recently I updated from ADS 8.10.0.13 to 8.10.0.15, ADS service suddenly
stopped (Freezed up).
I checked the event viewer:

Application popup: Advantage Database Server : An exception occurred in
Advantage Database Server worker thread. See the NT event log for more
information on the exception. The ADS service will be stopped.

I've ever seen this before, what gives?

I noticed there's a new service update 8.10.0.17, will this fix this error.
It is extremely critical to us, I rely heavily on ADS being up 24/7/365. It
caused a major panic this morning.

Please advise.


nss Posted on 2007-07-03 04:49:41.0Z
From: "nss" <lafdnss@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
References: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <6c56a9222c9388c98b0fb48eb746@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 21:49:41 -0700
Lines: 61
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
NNTP-Posting-Host: 71.136.21.189
Message-ID: <4689d452@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 2 Jul 2007 22:45:06 -0700, 71.136.21.189
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!71.136.21.189
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1651
Article PK: 1130672

Thanks, Rodd!

>FWIW, Upgrading (or downgrading) can't hurt relative to your current
>problem.

I will use the latter, after more than 10 yrs of using ADS without major
problems, this one incident, compromised public safety for more than an
hour. It is unwise for me at this time to use any newer ADS further service
updates, I will downgrade it to 8.10.0.13 which I know it works. The
benefits might be gained from these upgrades cannot outweight the importance
of ADS being reliably operational at all times.

You know, all I had to do was to reboot the server and we would have been
back up in less than 4 minutes. Services still stated that advantage
service is started, the managment utility at the server console still showed
users on were still on, 148 of them (frozen screen, i think), new users were
getting 6420 error left and right, executing the application at the server
console gives 6097 error re: ads.ini not being set correctly, i know that's
not possible. We don't go rebooting the server for any error we encounter,
now that 2003 server is used, you have to give a reason to reboot. I tried
to restart the service, it hanged for more than 10 minutes on 'stopping
service' screen. Got extremely frustrated, rebooted the server and we were
back in service.

E


"Rodd Graham" <rgraham@grahamautomation.com> wrote in message
news:6c56a9222c9388c98b0fb48eb746@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
> Hello nss,
>
>> Recently I updated from ADS 8.10.0.13 to 8.10.0.15, ADS service
>> suddenly
>> stopped (Freezed up).
>> I checked the event viewer:
>> Application popup: Advantage Database Server : An exception occurred
>> in Advantage Database Server worker thread. See the NT event log for
>> more information on the exception. The ADS service will be stopped.
>>
>> I've ever seen this before, what gives?
>>
>> I noticed there's a new service update 8.10.0.17, will this fix this
>> error. It is extremely critical to us, I rely heavily on ADS being up
>> 24/7/365. It caused a major panic this morning.
>
> Read 8.10.0.17 release announcment of 6/29 to see if it applies. Link is
> as follows.
>
> news://DevZone.AdvantageDatabase.com/e96e9af22efc18c9888009f4caa4@devzone.advantagedatabase.com
>
> FWIW, Upgrading (or downgrading) can't hurt relative to your current
> problem.
>
> Regards,
>
> Rodd Graham, Consultant
> Graham Automation Systems, LLC
>
>


Lance Schmidt Posted on 2007-07-03 15:26:54.0Z
From: "Lance Schmidt" <LanceSc@ExtendSys.com>
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
References: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <6c56a9222c9388c98b0fb48eb746@devzone.advantagedatabase.com> <4689d452@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 09:26:54 -0600
Lines: 75
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.197
Message-ID: <468a699c@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 3 Jul 2007 09:22:04 -0700, 10.24.38.197
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.197
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1654
Article PK: 1130678

Hi,

Contact support and give them the dump file and error logs associated with
this crash. We will be able to quickly tell if they are the same problem.

Best Regards,

Lance Schmidt
Advantage R&D

"nss" <lafdnss@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:4689d452@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...
> Thanks, Rodd!
>
>>FWIW, Upgrading (or downgrading) can't hurt relative to your current
>>problem.
>
> I will use the latter, after more than 10 yrs of using ADS without major
> problems, this one incident, compromised public safety for more than an
> hour. It is unwise for me at this time to use any newer ADS further
> service updates, I will downgrade it to 8.10.0.13 which I know it works.
> The benefits might be gained from these upgrades cannot outweight the
> importance of ADS being reliably operational at all times.
>
> You know, all I had to do was to reboot the server and we would have been
> back up in less than 4 minutes. Services still stated that advantage
> service is started, the managment utility at the server console still
> showed users on were still on, 148 of them (frozen screen, i think), new
> users were getting 6420 error left and right, executing the application at
> the server console gives 6097 error re: ads.ini not being set correctly, i
> know that's not possible. We don't go rebooting the server for any error
> we encounter, now that 2003 server is used, you have to give a reason to
> reboot. I tried to restart the service, it hanged for more than 10
> minutes on 'stopping service' screen. Got extremely frustrated, rebooted
> the server and we were back in service.
>
> E
>
>
> "Rodd Graham" <rgraham@grahamautomation.com> wrote in message
> news:6c56a9222c9388c98b0fb48eb746@devzone.advantagedatabase.com...
>> Hello nss,
>>
>>> Recently I updated from ADS 8.10.0.13 to 8.10.0.15, ADS service
>>> suddenly
>>> stopped (Freezed up).
>>> I checked the event viewer:
>>> Application popup: Advantage Database Server : An exception occurred
>>> in Advantage Database Server worker thread. See the NT event log for
>>> more information on the exception. The ADS service will be stopped.
>>>
>>> I've ever seen this before, what gives?
>>>
>>> I noticed there's a new service update 8.10.0.17, will this fix this
>>> error. It is extremely critical to us, I rely heavily on ADS being up
>>> 24/7/365. It caused a major panic this morning.
>>
>> Read 8.10.0.17 release announcment of 6/29 to see if it applies. Link is
>> as follows.
>>
>> news://DevZone.AdvantageDatabase.com/e96e9af22efc18c9888009f4caa4@devzone.advantagedatabase.com
>>
>> FWIW, Upgrading (or downgrading) can't hurt relative to your current
>> problem.
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rodd Graham, Consultant
>> Graham Automation Systems, LLC
>>
>>
>
>


Joachim Duerr (ADS) Posted on 2007-07-03 08:00:46.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
References: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Organization: iAnywhere
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.18.1.2
X-Face: ,QMv7[luB)BpWAQ~:"kw6n%0ieY63.:g2K3n~8ky0;||5Xle*Xq+=~<Fy:0CVC2nx@8~vZ
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.56.66.176
Message-ID: <4689f41e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2007 01:00:46 -0700
X-Trace: 3 Jul 2007 01:00:46 -0700, 10.56.66.176
Lines: 19
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.56.66.176
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1652
Article PK: 1130677


nss wrote in <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>:

> Recently I updated from ADS 8.10.0.13 to 8.10.0.15, ADS service
> suddenly stopped (Freezed up). I checked the event viewer:
>
> Application popup: Advantage Database Server : An exception occurred
> in Advantage Database Server worker thread. See the NT event log for
> more information on the exception. The ADS service will be stopped.
>
> I've ever seen this before, what gives?

did you check data execution prevention? After an update, you need to
remove ads.exe from the exception list and add it back again.

--
Joachim Duerr
System Consultant (Advantage Database Server)
Sybase iAnywhere
advantagesupport[AT]ianywhere.com


"Stephan Leiwering, AdvanTex Software" Posted on 2007-07-03 16:18:24.0Z
From: "Stephan Leiwering, AdvanTex Software" <leiwering {at} advantex d-o-t de>
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
References: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4689f41e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Subject: Re: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2007 18:18:24 +0200
Lines: 32
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: 85.8.92.125
Message-ID: <468a75b2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 3 Jul 2007 10:13:38 -0700, 85.8.92.125
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!85.8.92.125
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1655
Article PK: 1130679

Joachim,

are you sure about this?
Even when the directory has not changed?
That would mean that I forgot quite a few servers I guess.

Stephan


"Joachim Duerr (ADS)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:4689f41e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com...

> nss wrote in <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>:
>
>> Recently I updated from ADS 8.10.0.13 to 8.10.0.15, ADS service
>> suddenly stopped (Freezed up). I checked the event viewer:
>>
>> Application popup: Advantage Database Server : An exception occurred
>> in Advantage Database Server worker thread. See the NT event log for
>> more information on the exception. The ADS service will be stopped.
>>
>> I've ever seen this before, what gives?
>
> did you check data execution prevention? After an update, you need to
> remove ads.exe from the exception list and add it back again.
>
> --
> Joachim Duerr
> System Consultant (Advantage Database Server)
> Sybase iAnywhere
> advantagesupport[AT]ianywhere.com


Joachim Duerr (ADS) Posted on 2007-07-04 07:57:23.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Critical ADS error associated with Version 8.10.0.15?
Newsgroups: Advantage.NT
References: <4689b3e6@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <4689f41e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <468a75b2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Organization: iAnywhere
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.18.1.2
X-Face: ,QMv7[luB)BpWAQ~:"kw6n%0ieY63.:g2K3n~8ky0;||5Xle*Xq+=~<Fy:0CVC2nx@8~vZ
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.56.66.176
Message-ID: <468b44d3@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 4 Jul 2007 00:57:23 -0700
X-Trace: 4 Jul 2007 00:57:23 -0700, 10.56.66.176
Lines: 18
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.56.66.176
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.NT:1656
Article PK: 1130682

Stephan Leiwering, AdvanTex Software wrote in
<468a75b2@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>:

> are you sure about this?
> Even when the directory has not changed?
> That would mean that I forgot quite a few servers I guess.

Old Bill's ways are unpredictable;)
When installing a new version and after stamping ads.exe has a
different hash which might cause DEP to think a virus changed the
software. We encountered this issue, but I can't tell for sure if
that's true for all instances.

--
Joachim Duerr
System Consultant (Advantage Database Server)
Sybase iAnywhere
advantagesupport[AT]ianywhere.com