Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink

14 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2007-11-15 14:02:04.0Z
Herman Miller Posted on 2007-10-31 07:37:36.0Z
Sender: 5b4e.47283e44.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman MIller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <47283ed0.5b5a.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 31 Oct 2007 00:37:36 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1193819856 10.22.241.41 (31 Oct 2007 00:37:36 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Oct 2007 00:37:36 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 6
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6501
Article PK: 3114

Current we have upload synchronization only using Mobilink.
In the future we would like to use the Mobilink Process to
restore a remote database from the consolidated incase of
disaster, is there a way to turn on 2-way synchronization
from the consolidated to a remote database for one
particular ml_user?


Kory Hodgson <khodgson Posted on 2007-11-01 11:35:32.0Z
From: Kory Hodgson <khodgson@nospam_sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Windows/20070728)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink
References: <47283ed0.5b5a.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <47283ed0.5b5a.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: khodgson-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: khodgson-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4729c814$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Nov 2007 04:35:32 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1193920532 10.25.98.119 (1 Nov 2007 04:35:32 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Nov 2007 04:35:32 -0700, khodgson-pc.sybase.com
Lines: 25
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6508
Article PK: 3116

There are two ideas that come to mind here:

1. You create a secondary publication for the user that needs two way
synchronization - this publication could be both upload and download or
just download only

2. You create a publication that is both download and upload but use the
dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on" or -uo to achieve upload only
synchronization and then remove this parameter when you need to perform
the download as well

Maybe if you describe why you think this might be needed and the
scenario a bit more we could offer some more suggestions.

Kory Hodgson
Sybase iAnywhere

Herman MIller wrote:
> Current we have upload synchronization only using Mobilink.
> In the future we would like to use the Mobilink Process to
> restore a remote database from the consolidated incase of
> disaster, is there a way to turn on 2-way synchronization
> from the consolidated to a remote database for one
> particular ml_user?


Herman Miller Posted on 2007-11-01 12:29:18.0Z
Sender: 5b8.4729d406.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman Miller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4729d4ae.5cf.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4729c814$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 1 Nov 2007 05:29:18 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1193923758 10.22.241.41 (1 Nov 2007 05:29:18 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Nov 2007 05:29:18 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6511
Article PK: 3118

We are looking to be able to use the consolidated database
as a backup for a remote site. If the remote site needs to
be restored we want to use the consolidated to restore the
data once the database structure has been created at the
remote site. Hope this makes sense. Is there anything else I
might be missing?

> There are two ideas that come to mind here:
>
> 1. You create a secondary publication for the user that
> needs two way synchronization - this publication could be
> both upload and download or just download only
>
> 2. You create a publication that is both download and
> upload but use the dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on" or
> -uo to achieve upload only synchronization and then
> remove this parameter when you need to perform the
> download as well
>
> Maybe if you describe why you think this might be needed
> and the scenario a bit more we could offer some more
> suggestions.
>
> Kory Hodgson
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
>
> Herman MIller wrote:
> > Current we have upload synchronization only using
> > Mobilink. In the future we would like to use the
> > Mobilink Process to restore a remote database from the
> > consolidated incase of disaster, is there a way to turn
> > on 2-way synchronization from the consolidated to a
> > remote database for one particular ml_user?


Kory Hodgson <khodgson Posted on 2007-11-01 12:36:19.0Z
From: Kory Hodgson <khodgson@nospam_sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.6 (Windows/20070728)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink
References: <4729c814$1@forums-1-dub> <4729d4ae.5cf.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4729d4ae.5cf.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: khodgson-pc.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: khodgson-pc.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4729d653$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Nov 2007 05:36:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1193924179 10.25.98.119 (1 Nov 2007 05:36:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Nov 2007 05:36:19 -0700, khodgson-pc.sybase.com
Lines: 53
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6512
Article PK: 4791

Herman,

I would probably do this:

You create a publication that is both download and upload but use the
dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on" or -uo to achieve upload only
synchronization and then remove this parameter when you need to perform
the download to restore the database

Note: you will need to reset the synchronization user by deleting and
recreating his subscription to force a full synchronization.

Kory Hodgson
Sybase iAnywhere

Herman Miller wrote:
> We are looking to be able to use the consolidated database
> as a backup for a remote site. If the remote site needs to
> be restored we want to use the consolidated to restore the
> data once the database structure has been created at the
> remote site. Hope this makes sense. Is there anything else I
> might be missing?
>
>
>> There are two ideas that come to mind here:
>>
>> 1. You create a secondary publication for the user that
>> needs two way synchronization - this publication could be
>> both upload and download or just download only
>>
>> 2. You create a publication that is both download and
>> upload but use the dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on" or
>> -uo to achieve upload only synchronization and then
>> remove this parameter when you need to perform the
>> download as well
>>
>> Maybe if you describe why you think this might be needed
>> and the scenario a bit more we could offer some more
>> suggestions.
>>
>> Kory Hodgson
>> Sybase iAnywhere
>>
>>
>> Herman MIller wrote:
>>> Current we have upload synchronization only using
>>> Mobilink. In the future we would like to use the
>>> Mobilink Process to restore a remote database from the
>>> consolidated incase of disaster, is there a way to turn
>>> on 2-way synchronization from the consolidated to a
>>> remote database for one particular ml_user?


Herman Miller Posted on 2007-11-01 14:20:25.0Z
Sender: 5b8.4729d406.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman Miller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Temporary 2-Way Synchronization Mobilink
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4729eeb9.884.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4729d653$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 1 Nov 2007 07:20:25 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1193930425 10.22.241.41 (1 Nov 2007 07:20:25 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Nov 2007 07:20:25 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 64
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:6521
Article PK: 4797

You are saying to create the publication on the consolidated
db with the user of the remote center I wish to restore.
Have that remote center subscribe to the publication and
then use dbmlsync on the server with the switches you
indicate below? Is this correct?

FYI: Currently the remote center is the Publisher and
consolidated db is the subscriber in our situation.

> Herman,
>
> I would probably do this:
>
> You create a publication that is both download and upload
> but use the dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on" or -uo to
> achieve upload only synchronization and then remove this
> parameter when you need to perform the download to
> restore the database
>
> Note: you will need to reset the synchronization user by
> deleting and recreating his subscription to force a full
> synchronization.
>
> Kory Hodgson
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
>
>
> Herman Miller wrote:
> > We are looking to be able to use the consolidated
> > database as a backup for a remote site. If the remote
> > site needs to be restored we want to use the
> > consolidated to restore the data once the database
> > structure has been created at the remote site. Hope this
> > makes sense. Is there anything else I might be missing?
> >
> >
> >> There are two ideas that come to mind here:
> >>
> >> 1. You create a secondary publication for the user that
> >> needs two way synchronization - this publication could
> be >> both upload and download or just download only
> >>
> >> 2. You create a publication that is both download and
> >> upload but use the dbmlsync options -e "UploadOnly=on"
> or >> -uo to achieve upload only synchronization and then
> >> remove this parameter when you need to perform the
> >> download as well
> >>
> >> Maybe if you describe why you think this might be
> needed >> and the scenario a bit more we could offer some
> more >> suggestions.
> >>
> >> Kory Hodgson
> >> Sybase iAnywhere
> >>
> >>
> >> Herman MIller wrote:
> >>> Current we have upload synchronization only using
> >>> Mobilink. In the future we would like to use the
> >>> Mobilink Process to restore a remote database from the
> >>> consolidated incase of disaster, is there a way to
> turn >>> on 2-way synchronization from the consolidated to
> a >>> remote database for one particular ml_user?