Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data

5 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2008-05-06 08:29:46.0Z
Jason Posted on 2008-04-29 14:44:33.0Z
From: "Jason" <jbays@wynada.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Organization: 12.164.15.4
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.50 (JodoHost)
Subject: Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48173451$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Apr 2008 07:44:33 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1209480273 10.22.241.152 (29 Apr 2008 07:44:33 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Apr 2008 07:44:33 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 14
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86742
Article PK: 416002

I use nested datawindows when doing reports quite a bit, but not that often when
it comes to datawindows being used to input data. I could have sworn that past
versions of PB allowed allowed me to place a nested datawindow in another
datawindow (we'll call it the primary dw) and still allow the user to input and
save data in the primary datawindow.

I'm trying to do that now in PB 10.5 and as soon as I add the nested datawindow,
I can no longer enter data in the primary datawindow. (Note: The primary
datawindow is tabular, not a composite.) As soon as I delete the nested
datawindow, I can enter data again.

Is it really supposed to work like this?
---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-04-29 15:40:05.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <48173451$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48174155$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Apr 2008 08:40:05 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1209483605 10.22.241.152 (29 Apr 2008 08:40:05 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Apr 2008 08:40:05 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86743
Article PK: 416001

Yes, it is. I can't seem to find it in the documentation right now (maybe I
need more caffeine?) but when you have a nested report or a composite, the
DW is always in print preview mode (notice the blue frame?) and cannot be
updated.

"Jason" <jbays@wynada.com> wrote in message news:48173451$1@forums-1-dub...
>I use nested datawindows when doing reports quite a bit, but not that often
>when
> it comes to datawindows being used to input data. I could have sworn that
> past
> versions of PB allowed allowed me to place a nested datawindow in another
> datawindow (we'll call it the primary dw) and still allow the user to
> input and
> save data in the primary datawindow.
>
> I'm trying to do that now in PB 10.5 and as soon as I add the nested
> datawindow,
> I can no longer enter data in the primary datawindow. (Note: The primary
> datawindow is tabular, not a composite.) As soon as I delete the nested
> datawindow, I can enter data again.
>
> Is it really supposed to work like this?
> ---== Posted via the PFCGuide Web Newsreader ==---
> http://www.pfcguide.com/_newsgroups/group_list.asp


Jason Posted on 2008-04-29 16:01:41.0Z
From: "Jason" <jason@wynada.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Organization: 12.164.15.4
References: <48173451$1@forums-1-dub> <48174155$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: AspNNTP 1.50 (JodoHost)
Subject: Re: Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48174665$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Apr 2008 09:01:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1209484901 10.22.241.152 (29 Apr 2008 09:01:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Apr 2008 09:01:41 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 11
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86744
Article PK: 416004

I must be getting old. I could have sworn an old version of PB allowed for
this. I pulled out the old 6.5 version I have and it didn't work there either.

The nested datawindow was doing is simplifying my joins and minimize the need to
get creative with grouping the returned rows. It would display some additional
information on a row by row basis to allow for more intuitive data entry. This
functionality would sure be nice to have.

Thanks,

Jason


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-04-29 16:42:56.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <48173451$1@forums-1-dub> <48174155$1@forums-1-dub> <48174665$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data
Lines: 24
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48175010$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 29 Apr 2008 09:42:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1209487376 10.22.241.152 (29 Apr 2008 09:42:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Apr 2008 09:42:56 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86745
Article PK: 416003

You don't ask ==> you don't get

http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm

http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement

"Jason" <jason@wynada.com> wrote in message news:48174665$1@forums-1-dub...
>I must be getting old. I could have sworn an old version of PB allowed for
> this. I pulled out the old 6.5 version I have and it didn't work there
> either.
>
> The nested datawindow was doing is simplifying my joins and minimize the
> need to
> get creative with grouping the returned rows. It would display some
> additional
> information on a row by row basis to allow for more intuitive data entry.
> This
> functionality would sure be nice to have.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jason


Dave Fish [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-05-06 08:29:46.0Z
From: "Dave Fish [TeamSybase]" <n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Added nested datawindow - can no longer enter data
Organization: TeamSybase
Reply-To: n0Spam__dfish@sybase.com
Message-ID: <an50245vrvhfkbiu1d6u8t1pqe6fbdlt9e@4ax.com>
References: <48173451$1@forums-1-dub> <48174155$1@forums-1-dub> <48174665$1@forums-1-dub> <48175010$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 4.2/32.1118
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 6 May 2008 01:29:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1210062586 10.22.241.152 (6 May 2008 01:29:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 May 2008 01:29:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 35
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86779
Article PK: 416039

It is a feature on the short list for the WPF DataWindow.

Regards,
Dave Fish
Sybase

PowerBuilder Blog:
http://powerbuilderevangelist.blogspot.com/

On 29 Apr 2008 09:42:56 -0700, "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]"

<jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com> wrote:

>You don't ask ==> you don't get
>
>http://casexpress.sybase.com/cx/cx.stm
>
>http://my.isug.com/cgi-bin/1/c/submit_enhancement
>
>"Jason" <jason@wynada.com> wrote in message news:48174665$1@forums-1-dub...
>>I must be getting old. I could have sworn an old version of PB allowed for
>> this. I pulled out the old 6.5 version I have and it didn't work there
>> either.
>>
>> The nested datawindow was doing is simplifying my joins and minimize the
>> need to
>> get creative with grouping the returned rows. It would display some
>> additional
>> information on a row by row basis to allow for more intuitive data entry.
>> This
>> functionality would sure be nice to have.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Jason
>