Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Version Control

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2008-07-01 16:50:15.0Z
Remoteware Group Posted on 2008-06-17 16:00:16.0Z
From: "Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
Subject: Version Control
Lines: 10
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4857df90@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Jun 2008 09:00:16 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1213718416 10.22.241.152 (17 Jun 2008 09:00:16 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Jun 2008 09:00:16 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:5
Article PK: 18722

Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are handling version control
with their Sessions, Workobjects and scripts?

I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain version control with any
changes on Remoteware but haven't found anything that works the way we would
like.

I appreciate any advice.


Christopher Heeter Posted on 2008-06-23 13:42:06.0Z
Reply-To: "Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com>
From: "Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
References: <4857df90@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Version Control
Lines: 23
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Jun 2008 06:42:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1214228526 10.22.241.152 (23 Jun 2008 06:42:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Jun 2008 06:42:06 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:7
Article PK: 9854

You mentioned that you could not find any solution that works the way you
like, what are your requirements?

A few customers over the years have approached this differently, and rather
than try to explain their various methods/solutions in a long drawn-out
reply, I would like to better understand your requirements first.

Thanks,
Chris

"Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
news:4857df90@forums-1-dub...
> Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are handling version
> control with their Sessions, Workobjects and scripts?
>
> I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain version control with any
> changes on Remoteware but haven't found anything that works the way we
> would like.
>
> I appreciate any advice.
>


Will Escaba Posted on 2008-06-24 20:33:38.0Z
From: "Will Escaba" <escabaw@booksamillion.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
References: <4857df90@forums-1-dub> <485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Version Control
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48615a22@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Jun 2008 13:33:38 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1214339618 10.22.241.152 (24 Jun 2008 13:33:38 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Jun 2008 13:33:38 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:8
Article PK: 18724

Well, we really don't many requirements other than being able to track the
changes made to Remoteware WorkObjects or Sessions.

Currently we are unaware of a way to import a work object or session object
into version control software ( we use PERFORCE) and be able to
review/compare the changes
made or previous changes. Basically we would just like to be track any
changes made to Remoteware's work objects, session objects, groups or
clients and be able to review the changes or any previous changes.

I would be open to receiving the long drawn-out reply in an email. At this
point we are open to any possible solution.

"Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com> wrote in message
news:485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub...
> You mentioned that you could not find any solution that works the way you
> like, what are your requirements?
>
> A few customers over the years have approached this differently, and
> rather than try to explain their various methods/solutions in a long
> drawn-out reply, I would like to better understand your requirements
> first.
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
> "Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
> news:4857df90@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are handling version
>> control with their Sessions, Workobjects and scripts?
>>
>> I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain version control with any
>> changes on Remoteware but haven't found anything that works the way we
>> would like.
>>
>> I appreciate any advice.
>>
>
>


Christopher Heeter Posted on 2008-06-26 18:31:15.0Z
Reply-To: "Christopher Heeter" <SybaseiAnywhere@Live.com>
From: "Christopher Heeter" <SybaseiAnywhere@Live.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
References: <4857df90@forums-1-dub> <485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub> <48615a22@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Version Control
Lines: 82
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4863e073@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Jun 2008 11:31:15 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1214505075 10.22.241.152 (26 Jun 2008 11:31:15 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Jun 2008 11:31:15 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:9
Article PK: 18725

Will,
A few items that you may want to consider:

Source Code control:
1) The GENALL utility will export 95% of all the common configuration
data of a RemoteWare System. The GENALL exports the configuration data to
text based files called External Configuration Files (ECF). The GENALL
includes a copy of all the objects (such as Client records, Client Groups
records, Work Objects, Worklist events, Sessions, and related Assignments
information) and system configuration settings. You will want to keep in
mind that the events files (.wrk, .bef, .aft, or .evf) are binary files that
are in a proprietary format that can only be read with the Work Object
Editor or Worklist Editor modules within RemoteWare.

1a) You can setup a Process Only Session that kicks off a GENALL on a
Daily basis. You will then want to check-in the entire contents of the
GENALL export into your PERFORCE application. You may be able to automate
the check-in, but that I won't be able to help you with as I am not familiar
PERFORCE.

System Auditing:
2) The RemoteWare Server Message Logs will contain a good deal of
information regarding changes as they happen to the system. For example a
message is logged any time an object is changed, added, or deleted. The
logs will also capture most any change made to other configuration setting
within the system.

2a)You can create SQL Queries to extract the Messages that you want to
capture and then generate a report based on that. You would create what
would amount to a Daily Changes Summary Report that would be based upon the
RemoteWare's Server Message logs.


Thanks,
Chris

"Will Escaba" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
news:48615a22@forums-1-dub...
> Well, we really don't many requirements other than being able to track the
> changes made to Remoteware WorkObjects or Sessions.
>
> Currently we are unaware of a way to import a work object or session
> object into version control software ( we use PERFORCE) and be able to
> review/compare the changes
> made or previous changes. Basically we would just like to be track any
> changes made to Remoteware's work objects, session objects, groups or
> clients and be able to review the changes or any previous changes.
>
> I would be open to receiving the long drawn-out reply in an email. At
> this point we are open to any possible solution.
>
> "Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub...
>> You mentioned that you could not find any solution that works the way you
>> like, what are your requirements?
>>
>> A few customers over the years have approached this differently, and
>> rather than try to explain their various methods/solutions in a long
>> drawn-out reply, I would like to better understand your requirements
>> first.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>
>> "Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
>> news:4857df90@forums-1-dub...
>>> Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are handling version
>>> control with their Sessions, Workobjects and scripts?
>>>
>>> I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain version control with any
>>> changes on Remoteware but haven't found anything that works the way we
>>> would like.
>>>
>>> I appreciate any advice.
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


Winston Snider Posted on 2008-06-27 14:11:52.0Z
Sender: 34d7.4864f3c3.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Winston Snider
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
Subject: Re: Version Control
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4864f528.3524.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4863e073@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 27 Jun 2008 07:11:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1214575912 10.22.241.41 (27 Jun 2008 07:11:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Jun 2008 07:11:52 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 99
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:10
Article PK: 18726

In addition to that, you could use the report manager
program rpt_swo.exe to generate a text file of the work
object events since the genall only exports the binary
versions.

Another approach may be to lock down the remoteware system
so that changes can't be made using the remoteware gui. All
changes could then be forced through ECF files which are
logged when processed in the server message table and the
copies of the ECFs could be saved in source control.

> Will,
> A few items that you may want to consider:
>
> Source Code control:
> 1) The GENALL utility will export 95% of all the
> common configuration data of a RemoteWare System. The
> GENALL exports the configuration data to text based files
> called External Configuration Files (ECF). The GENALL
> includes a copy of all the objects (such as Client records
> , Client Groups records, Work Objects, Worklist events,
> Sessions, and related Assignments information) and system
> configuration settings. You will want to keep in mind
> that the events files (.wrk, .bef, .aft, or .evf) are
> binary files that are in a proprietary format that can
> only be read with the Work Object Editor or Worklist
> Editor modules within RemoteWare.
>
> 1a) You can setup a Process Only Session that kicks
> off a GENALL on a Daily basis. You will then want to
> check-in the entire contents of the GENALL export into
> your PERFORCE application. You may be able to automate
> the check-in, but that I won't be able to help you with as
> I am not familiar PERFORCE.
>
> System Auditing:
> 2) The RemoteWare Server Message Logs will contain a
> good deal of information regarding changes as they happen
> to the system. For example a message is logged any time
> an object is changed, added, or deleted. The logs will
> also capture most any change made to other configuration
> setting within the system.
>
> 2a)You can create SQL Queries to extract the Messages
> that you want to capture and then generate a report based
> on that. You would create what would amount to a Daily
> Changes Summary Report that would be based upon the
> RemoteWare's Server Message logs.
>
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
>
> "Will Escaba" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
> news:48615a22@forums-1-dub...
> > Well, we really don't many requirements other than being
> > able to track the changes made to Remoteware
> WorkObjects or Sessions. >
> > Currently we are unaware of a way to import a work
> > object or session object into version control software
> > ( we use PERFORCE) and be able to review/compare the
> > changes made or previous changes. Basically we would
> > just like to be track any changes made to Remoteware's
> > work objects, session objects, groups or clients and be
> able to review the changes or any previous changes. >
> > I would be open to receiving the long drawn-out reply in
> > an email. At this point we are open to any possible
> solution. >
> > "Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com> wrote in
> > message news:485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub...
> >> You mentioned that you could not find any solution that
> works the way you >> like, what are your requirements?
> >>
> >> A few customers over the years have approached this
> differently, and >> rather than try to explain their
> various methods/solutions in a long >> drawn-out reply, I
> would like to better understand your requirements >>
> first. >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Chris
> >>
> >> "Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in
> message >> news:4857df90@forums-1-dub...
> >>> Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are
> handling version >>> control with their Sessions,
> Workobjects and scripts? >>>
> >>> I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain
> version control with any >>> changes on Remoteware but
> haven't found anything that works the way we >>> would
> like. >>>
> >>> I appreciate any advice.
> >>>
> >>
> >>
> >
> >
>
>


Christopher Heeter Posted on 2008-06-27 15:27:00.0Z
Reply-To: "Christopher Heeter" <SybaseiAnywhere@Live.com>
From: "Christopher Heeter" <SybaseiAnywhere@Live.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.remoteware.general
References: <4863e073@forums-1-dub> <4864f528.3524.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Version Control
Lines: 120
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <486506c4$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 Jun 2008 08:27:00 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1214580420 10.22.241.152 (27 Jun 2008 08:27:00 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Jun 2008 08:27:00 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.remoteware.general:11
Article PK: 18727

Very good points Winston!.

Any of the stock reports in Report Manager can be run from the command line,
in a batch file, or event in a Work Object (there is a stock Reports Work
Object included in RW, but it does not run ALL the reports available)

There is a command line utility for each of the stock reports. Look in the
\RWS\System directory for all the application that have the name rpt*.exe.
To get the command line parameters available for each report program run the
report program with the /? switch. If you want to filter on specific items
you can create filters files. Most of the report programs accept a filter
file as a parameter.

Chris

<Winston Snider> wrote in message
news:4864f528.3524.1681692777@sybase.com...
> In addition to that, you could use the report manager
> program rpt_swo.exe to generate a text file of the work
> object events since the genall only exports the binary
> versions.
>
> Another approach may be to lock down the remoteware system
> so that changes can't be made using the remoteware gui. All
> changes could then be forced through ECF files which are
> logged when processed in the server message table and the
> copies of the ECFs could be saved in source control.
>
>> Will,
>> A few items that you may want to consider:
>>
>> Source Code control:
>> 1) The GENALL utility will export 95% of all the
>> common configuration data of a RemoteWare System. The
>> GENALL exports the configuration data to text based files
>> called External Configuration Files (ECF). The GENALL
>> includes a copy of all the objects (such as Client records
>> , Client Groups records, Work Objects, Worklist events,
>> Sessions, and related Assignments information) and system
>> configuration settings. You will want to keep in mind
>> that the events files (.wrk, .bef, .aft, or .evf) are
>> binary files that are in a proprietary format that can
>> only be read with the Work Object Editor or Worklist
>> Editor modules within RemoteWare.
>>
>> 1a) You can setup a Process Only Session that kicks
>> off a GENALL on a Daily basis. You will then want to
>> check-in the entire contents of the GENALL export into
>> your PERFORCE application. You may be able to automate
>> the check-in, but that I won't be able to help you with as
>> I am not familiar PERFORCE.
>>
>> System Auditing:
>> 2) The RemoteWare Server Message Logs will contain a
>> good deal of information regarding changes as they happen
>> to the system. For example a message is logged any time
>> an object is changed, added, or deleted. The logs will
>> also capture most any change made to other configuration
>> setting within the system.
>>
>> 2a)You can create SQL Queries to extract the Messages
>> that you want to capture and then generate a report based
>> on that. You would create what would amount to a Daily
>> Changes Summary Report that would be based upon the
>> RemoteWare's Server Message logs.
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Chris
>>
>>
>> "Will Escaba" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in message
>> news:48615a22@forums-1-dub...
>> > Well, we really don't many requirements other than being
>> > able to track the changes made to Remoteware
>> WorkObjects or Sessions. >
>> > Currently we are unaware of a way to import a work
>> > object or session object into version control software
>> > ( we use PERFORCE) and be able to review/compare the
>> > changes made or previous changes. Basically we would
>> > just like to be track any changes made to Remoteware's
>> > work objects, session objects, groups or clients and be
>> able to review the changes or any previous changes. >
>> > I would be open to receiving the long drawn-out reply in
>> > an email. At this point we are open to any possible
>> solution. >
>> > "Christopher Heeter" <Chris.Heeter@Sybase.com> wrote in
>> > message news:485fa82e$1@forums-1-dub...
>> >> You mentioned that you could not find any solution that
>> works the way you >> like, what are your requirements?
>> >>
>> >> A few customers over the years have approached this
>> differently, and >> rather than try to explain their
>> various methods/solutions in a long >> drawn-out reply, I
>> would like to better understand your requirements >>
>> first. >>
>> >> Thanks,
>> >> Chris
>> >>
>> >> "Remoteware Group" <escabaw@booksamillion.com> wrote in
>> message >> news:4857df90@forums-1-dub...
>> >>> Hi, I was wondering how other Remoteware users are
>> handling version >>> control with their Sessions,
>> Workobjects and scripts? >>>
>> >>> I've been tasked with finding a way to maintain
>> version control with any >>> changes on Remoteware but
>> haven't found anything that works the way we >>> would
>> like. >>>
>> >>> I appreciate any advice.
>> >>>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >
>> >
>>
>>