Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Collecting payment

11 posts in Commercial ISV's Last posting was on 2008-07-17 15:15:12.0Z
Ken Judkins Posted on 2008-07-12 18:25:41.0Z
From: "Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Collecting payment
Lines: 16
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1215887141 10.22.241.152 (12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:144
Article PK: 103862

Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
company offers other benefits, too.
1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
has done?
3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should avoid?
4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?

Thanks!

Ken Judkins


Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com] Posted on 2008-07-12 21:42:34.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com>
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 12 Jul 2008 14:42:34 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1215898954 10.22.241.152 (12 Jul 2008 14:42:34 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Jul 2008 14:42:34 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 27
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:145
Article PK: 103863

I chose Payloadz. It looks good in testing but I haven't had any
production experience with it yet.

On 12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700, "Ken Judkins"

<nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote:

>Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
>something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
>application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
>company offers other benefits, too.
>1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
>has done?
>3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should avoid?
>4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>
>Thanks!
>
>Ken Judkins
>

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com


Ken Judkins Posted on 2008-07-16 16:43:41.0Z
From: "Ken Judkins" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 48
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487e253d$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Jul 2008 09:43:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216226621 10.22.241.152 (16 Jul 2008 09:43:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jul 2008 09:43:41 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:149
Article PK: 103870

Breck,

I like the Basic option! If I cannot generate $100 in a 30 day period, I
certainly would not want to pay for the service! I'll run the numbers to
see how the costs compare to Roland's suggestion once the money starts
rolling in, of course.

The thing that could my eye is the Product Key Delivery and Registration
System. Do you use this? Is it better than managing it yourself?

Thanks for the ideas!

Ken



"Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>

wrote in message news:c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com...
>I chose Payloadz. It looks good in testing but I haven't had any
> production experience with it yet.
>
> On 12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700, "Ken Judkins"
> <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote:
>
>>Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
>>something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
>>application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
>>company offers other benefits, too.
>>1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>>2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>>software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
>>has done?
>>3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
>>avoid?
>>4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>>
>>Thanks!
>>
>>Ken Judkins
>>
>
> --
> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> breck.carter@risingroad.com


Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com] Posted on 2008-07-17 10:36:54.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <lp6u74hh6qtsgkkc2kek1k9jc3q9h5ejkh@4ax.com>
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com> <487e253d$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 17 Jul 2008 03:36:54 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216291014 10.22.241.152 (17 Jul 2008 03:36:54 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Jul 2008 03:36:54 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 102
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:152
Article PK: 103869

I generate the keys myself, and the product requests a key when it
starts up, after installation; i.e., the setup requires no key. The
product contains a reasonable number of hashed key values for
comparison, and it deletes them all when registration is successful.
The input registration key is not stored either; instead, a serial
number is calculated, containing the hashed version of the successful
registration key, and that serial number (very long) is used for
customer support and is displayed in the Help About. GUIDs and SHA256
play a big part in this, and 100% of the code is written in Watcom
SQL.

The technique does *not* protect against installed software being
copied as-is to another machine. Also, it does not prevent a single
registration key from being used more than once, but the generated
serial numbers would allow detection at the time of customer service
contact because the same hashed key value would appear inside more
than one serial number.

The technique does absolutely require a valid registration key to run.
Plus, if a fresh new copy of the software is downloaded, and an old
registration key is used, it won't work because the matching hashed
value won't be found inside it any more.

The most important assumption and requirement are these:

- Most customers are mostly honest.

- Activation must be very easy for the customer.

...with "easy" implying "absolutely bulletproof". Microsoft can afford
to implement a centralized activation process that is 100% reliable, I
cannot... i.e., I will not require an interaction with my server to be
part of the activation process. It might be possible to use a third
party service to do this, but I am not intellectually capable of
figuring out how to do that without spending huge amounts of money. I
spent too much time already, investigating such services.

The whole idea of uniquely identifying the installed machine (cpu id,
disk id, yadda yadda) is just so nauseatingly unreliable and complex
and fraught with end user grief that I haven't even considered it.

Breck




On 16 Jul 2008 09:43:41 -0700, "Ken Judkins" <nospam@nospam.com>

wrote:

>Breck,
>
>I like the Basic option! If I cannot generate $100 in a 30 day period, I
>certainly would not want to pay for the service! I'll run the numbers to
>see how the costs compare to Roland's suggestion once the money starts
>rolling in, of course.
>
>The thing that could my eye is the Product Key Delivery and Registration
>System. Do you use this? Is it better than managing it yourself?
>
>Thanks for the ideas!
>
>Ken
>
>
>
>"Breck Carter [sqlanywhere.blogspot.com]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
>wrote in message news:c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com...
>>I chose Payloadz. It looks good in testing but I haven't had any
>> production experience with it yet.
>>
>> On 12 Jul 2008 11:25:41 -0700, "Ken Judkins"
>> <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
>>>something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
>>>application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
>>>company offers other benefits, too.
>>>1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>>>2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>>>software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
>>>has done?
>>>3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
>>>avoid?
>>>4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>>Ken Judkins
>>>
>>
>> --
>> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>>
>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
>> breck.carter@risingroad.com
>

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com


Roland Smith [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-07-17 13:06:44.0Z
From: "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com> <487e253d$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 30
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487f43e4$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Jul 2008 06:06:44 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216300004 10.22.241.152 (17 Jul 2008 06:06:44 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Jul 2008 06:06:44 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:153
Article PK: 103871

Are you looking to lock your application to particular machines like
PowerBuilder 11?

I haven't tried this in a real program but it works in small demos.

The GetURL function can be used to execute a .asp script on your website.
What you can do is get the hard drive serial number or network card MAC
address and pass it as an argument.

Example URL:

http://www.mywebsite.com/registration.asp?id=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd

If you pass this URL into GetURL, the webserver will execute the .asp
script. All the .asp has to return is a code to indicate the status of the
registration. Classic .ASP uses VBScript so is easy to learn.

All you have to do is create a .asp file and have a website that runs on IIS
and allows you to have a database. My website has examples of how to get the
MAC address (example Adapter) and hard drive serial number (example
Filesys).

http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode_adapter.html

Then you would need a way to access the web hosted database in order to
maintain the user registration information. You could create more .asp
scripts and run them via GetURL as well. The GetURL function can be used as
a web database connection.


Ken Judkins Posted on 2008-07-17 15:15:12.0Z
From: "Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <c79i741s2t4nnsp7l4fqpmbh95vvcrid9f@4ax.com> <487e253d$1@forums-1-dub> <487f43e4$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 60
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487f6200@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Jul 2008 08:15:12 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216307712 10.22.241.152 (17 Jul 2008 08:15:12 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Jul 2008 08:15:12 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:154
Article PK: 103872

Actually, the PB11 solution would be great, but I've programmed FlexNET into
an application and it is very, very expensive. The general concept is good,
though. Wish they had the "poor programmer just starting out" package!

I kind of agree with Breck on the "easy" part, though. As somebody who goes
through multiple hard drives and PCs as I'm upgrading, I can understand how
having to reacquire a serial number each time might be irritating. That's
one of the main PB11 licensing complaints. However, I'm really nervous
about the complete lack of concern for copyright law nowadays, so the MAC/HD
number method is really appealling.

When I get a quiet moment, maybe I'll see if I can find a happy medium
between your method and Breck's method.

And your free examples have been very helpful over the years, so thank you
for that by the way!

Ken

"Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
news:487f43e4$1@forums-1-dub...
> Are you looking to lock your application to particular machines like
> PowerBuilder 11?
>
> I haven't tried this in a real program but it works in small demos.
>
> The GetURL function can be used to execute a .asp script on your website.
> What you can do is get the hard drive serial number or network card MAC
> address and pass it as an argument.
>
> Example URL:
>
> http://www.mywebsite.com/registration.asp?id=aaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd
>
> If you pass this URL into GetURL, the webserver will execute the .asp
> script. All the .asp has to return is a code to indicate the status of the
> registration. Classic .ASP uses VBScript so is easy to learn.
>
> All you have to do is create a .asp file and have a website that runs on
> IIS and allows you to have a database. My website has examples of how to
> get the MAC address (example Adapter) and hard drive serial number
> (example Filesys).
>
> http://www.topwizprogramming.com/freecode_adapter.html
>
> Then you would need a way to access the web hosted database in order to
> maintain the user registration information. You could create more .asp
> scripts and run them via GetURL as well. The GetURL function can be used
> as a web database connection.
>
>


Roland Smith [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-07-14 14:09:47.0Z
From: "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 25
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487b5e2b$2@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Jul 2008 07:09:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216044587 10.22.241.152 (14 Jul 2008 07:09:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jul 2008 07:09:47 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:146
Article PK: 103864

I am using this company:

http://www.nstarsolutions.com/

"Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:4878f725$1@forums-1-dub...
> Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
> something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
> application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
> company offers other benefits, too.
> 1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
> 2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
> software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
> has done?
> 3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
> avoid?
> 4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken Judkins
>
>


Ken Judkins Posted on 2008-07-16 16:34:56.0Z
From: "Ken Judkins" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <487b5e2b$2@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 40
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487e2330@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Jul 2008 09:34:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216226096 10.22.241.152 (16 Jul 2008 09:34:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jul 2008 09:34:56 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:148
Article PK: 103865

Roland,

This looks like a pretty good company. Do you use the Post Sale Download
feature, or manage all that yourself? I'm curious about how that works with
a key-based system.

Thanks!

Ken

"Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
news:487b5e2b$2@forums-1-dub...
>I am using this company:
>
> http://www.nstarsolutions.com/
>
> "Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:4878f725$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
>> something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
>> application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
>> company offers other benefits, too.
>> 1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>> 2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>> software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
>> has done?
>> 3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
>> avoid?
>> 4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ken Judkins
>>
>>
>
>


Roland Smith [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-07-16 18:28:46.0Z
From: "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <487b5e2b$2@forums-1-dub> <487e2330@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 57
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487e3dde$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Jul 2008 11:28:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216232926 10.22.241.152 (16 Jul 2008 11:28:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jul 2008 11:28:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:151
Article PK: 103867

I'm not using that feature.

When someone places an order, they send me an email. When I get home in the
evening I add the customer info to a simple database and then email them a
registration key or the url and password for a zipfile that they download.

They pay by check which can be slow. They process checks twice a month. You
only get a check if the balance is over $100.

I have thought about creating a customer tracking app that can read the
incoming email and automatically add the customer & product order into the
database. Then I could sell it to other developers using their service.

"Ken Judkins" <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in message
news:487e2330@forums-1-dub...
> Roland,
>
> This looks like a pretty good company. Do you use the Post Sale Download
> feature, or manage all that yourself? I'm curious about how that works
> with a key-based system.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken
>
>
> "Roland Smith [TeamSybase]" <rsmith_at_trusthss_dot_com> wrote in message
> news:487b5e2b$2@forums-1-dub...
>>I am using this company:
>>
>> http://www.nstarsolutions.com/
>>
>> "Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote in message
>> news:4878f725$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I
>>> envision something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a
>>> PB-powered application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment,
>>> and that company offers other benefits, too.
>>> 1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>>> 2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>>> software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web
>>> site has done?
>>> 3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
>>> avoid?
>>> 4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Ken Judkins
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


Yoyo Young Posted on 2008-07-14 14:34:59.0Z
Reply-To: "Yoyo Young" <young@public1.wx.js.cn>
From: "Yoyo Young" <young@public1.wx.js.cn>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 26
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.3790.3959
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.3790.4073
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487b6413@forums-1-dub>
Date: 14 Jul 2008 07:34:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216046099 10.22.241.152 (14 Jul 2008 07:34:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Jul 2008 07:34:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:147
Article PK: 103866

In my option, I will check if they provide web service interface. That's the
first priority. What about you?

Yoyo

"Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote in message
news:4878f725$1@forums-1-dub...
> Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
> something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
> application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
> company offers other benefits, too.
> 1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
> 2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
> software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
> has done?
> 3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
> avoid?
> 4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ken Judkins
>
>


Ken Judkins Posted on 2008-07-16 16:44:58.0Z
From: "Ken Judkins" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <4878f725$1@forums-1-dub> <487b6413@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Collecting payment
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <487e258a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Jul 2008 09:44:58 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216226698 10.22.241.152 (16 Jul 2008 09:44:58 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Jul 2008 09:44:58 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:150
Article PK: 103868

Yoyo,

What kind of web service interface should they provide? I'm new to this, so
if you've found some features very beneficial, I'd love to know about them!

Thanks,

Ken

"Yoyo Young" <young@public1.wx.js.cn> wrote in message
news:487b6413@forums-1-dub...
> In my option, I will check if they provide web service interface. That's
> the first priority. What about you?
>
> Yoyo
>
> "Ken Judkins" <nospamplease@somewhere.com> wrote in message
> news:4878f725$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Once I have something worth selling, how do I manage payment? I envision
>> something like I see on www.myx10.com/index.asp, which is a PB-powered
>> application. This site uses RegSoft.com to collect payment, and that
>> company offers other benefits, too.
>> 1. Is this billing company good, or are there better options?
>> 2. Are there "packages" available from web hosts for companies selling
>> software, not physical products, or do I "roll my own" like this web site
>> has done?
>> 3. What are some things (restrictions, legal entanglements) I should
>> avoid?
>> 4. Any other words of wisdom related to collecting payment?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Ken Judkins
>>
>>
>
>