Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?

5 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2008-07-22 14:29:23.0Z
KL Posted on 2008-07-17 15:21:41.0Z
Sender: 12d.487b6bb7.1804289383@sybase.com
From: KL
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <487f6385.1b2b.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 17 Jul 2008 08:21:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216308101 10.22.241.41 (17 Jul 2008 08:21:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Jul 2008 08:21:41 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 6
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87409
Article PK: 416665

PB 10.5.2, Build 7662
If dw_1.SaveAs("", Excel!, True) fails,
is there a way to determine the exact error?
TIA

Ken


KL Posted on 2008-07-21 13:44:56.0Z
Sender: 67f5.48848a62.1804289383@sybase.com
From: KL
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <488492d8.68e8.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <487f6385.1b2b.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 21 Jul 2008 06:44:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216647896 10.22.241.41 (21 Jul 2008 06:44:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Jul 2008 06:44:56 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 24
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87423
Article PK: 416679


> PB 10.5.2, Build 7662
> If dw_1.SaveAs("", Excel!, True) fails,
> is there a way to determine the exact error?
> TIA
>
> Ken

Ok, added simple return code check to report when ftn does
not work.
User originally said: 'Saveas no longer works.' Found out
later that it 'works once, then quits.' Using the same
parms in the ide, I some found that the times it 'does not
work' is when the dw contains more than 65,536 rows -
Excel's (2003) limit. Excel 2007 will have an increased
limit, if we ever go to it.

I thought Saveas() just built a file, but it must either
connect to Excel to check the limit or have the limit
built-in to the ftn. Wonder if it will work properly with
Excel 2007?

HTH someone.

Ken


Terry Dykstra Posted on 2008-07-22 02:59:59.0Z
From: "Terry Dykstra" <dontreply_tddykstra@forestoil.ca.x>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <487f6385.1b2b.1681692777@sybase.com> <488492d8.68e8.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48854d2f$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Jul 2008 19:59:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216695599 10.22.241.152 (21 Jul 2008 19:59:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Jul 2008 19:59:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: Teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87427
Article PK: 416683

The limit is built into the function. It just adheres to MS specifications.
You don't require Excel to be installed on your computer to use.

--
Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
http://my.isug.com/index.php?mo=is&op=in

<KL> wrote in message news:488492d8.68e8.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> PB 10.5.2, Build 7662
>> If dw_1.SaveAs("", Excel!, True) fails,
>> is there a way to determine the exact error?
>> TIA
>>
>> Ken
>
> Ok, added simple return code check to report when ftn does
> not work.
> User originally said: 'Saveas no longer works.' Found out
> later that it 'works once, then quits.' Using the same
> parms in the ide, I some found that the times it 'does not
> work' is when the dw contains more than 65,536 rows -
> Excel's (2003) limit. Excel 2007 will have an increased
> limit, if we ever go to it.
>
> I thought Saveas() just built a file, but it must either
> connect to Excel to check the limit or have the limit
> built-in to the ftn. Wonder if it will work properly with
> Excel 2007?
>
> HTH someone.
>
> Ken


KL Posted on 2008-07-22 14:01:47.0Z
Sender: 67f5.48848a62.1804289383@sybase.com
From: KL
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4885e84b.1b04.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <48854d2f$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 22 Jul 2008 07:01:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216735307 10.22.241.41 (22 Jul 2008 07:01:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jul 2008 07:01:47 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 49
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87431
Article PK: 416687

I understand now that a Excel 2003 worksheet row limit is
65,536 rows,while Excel 2007's is 1,048,576 rows.
So would this ftn limit the save to 65,536 rows or would it
allow more than that, if you do have Excel 2007 installed?

I don't want to tell the user that installing Excel 2007
would solve the problem, if it doesn't.

Thanks

Ken

> The limit is built into the function. It just adheres to
> MS specifications. You don't require Excel to be
> installed on your computer to use.
>
> --
> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
> http://my.isug.com/index.php?mo=is&op=in
> <KL> wrote in message
> news:488492d8.68e8.1681692777@sybase.com... >> PB 10.5.2,
> Build 7662 >> If dw_1.SaveAs("", Excel!, True) fails,
> >> is there a way to determine the exact error?
> >> TIA
> >>
> >> Ken
> >
> > Ok, added simple return code check to report when ftn
> > does not work.
> > User originally said: 'Saveas no longer works.' Found
> > out later that it 'works once, then quits.' Using the
> > same parms in the ide, I some found that the times it
> > 'does not work' is when the dw contains more than 65,536
> > rows - Excel's (2003) limit. Excel 2007 will have an
> > increased limit, if we ever go to it.
> >
> > I thought Saveas() just built a file, but it must either
> > connect to Excel to check the limit or have the limit
> > built-in to the ftn. Wonder if it will work properly
> > with Excel 2007?
> >
> > HTH someone.
> >
> > Ken
>
>


M. Searer Posted on 2008-07-22 14:29:23.0Z
From: "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <48854d2f$1@forums-1-dub> <4885e84b.1b04.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4885e84b.1b04.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Trap dw_1.Saveas() Error?
Lines: 54
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6001.18000
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4885eec3$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Jul 2008 07:29:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1216736963 10.22.241.152 (22 Jul 2008 07:29:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jul 2008 07:29:23 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87433
Article PK: 416689

it doesn't.

"KL" wrote in message news:4885e84b.1b04.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I understand now that a Excel 2003 worksheet row limit is
> 65,536 rows,while Excel 2007's is 1,048,576 rows.
> So would this ftn limit the save to 65,536 rows or would it
> allow more than that, if you do have Excel 2007 installed?
>
> I don't want to tell the user that installing Excel 2007
> would solve the problem, if it doesn't.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ken
>
>
>> The limit is built into the function. It just adheres to
>> MS specifications. You don't require Excel to be
>> installed on your computer to use.
>>
>> --
>> Terry Dykstra (TeamSybase)
>> http://powerbuilder.codeXchange.sybase.com/
>> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/welcome.do
>> http://my.isug.com/index.php?mo=is&op=in
>> <KL> wrote in message
>> news:488492d8.68e8.1681692777@sybase.com... >> PB 10.5.2,
>> Build 7662 >> If dw_1.SaveAs("", Excel!, True) fails,
>> >> is there a way to determine the exact error?
>> >> TIA
>> >>
>> >> Ken
>> >
>> > Ok, added simple return code check to report when ftn
>> > does not work.
>> > User originally said: 'Saveas no longer works.' Found
>> > out later that it 'works once, then quits.' Using the
>> > same parms in the ide, I some found that the times it
>> > 'does not work' is when the dw contains more than 65,536
>> > rows - Excel's (2003) limit. Excel 2007 will have an
>> > increased limit, if we ever go to it.
>> >
>> > I thought Saveas() just built a file, but it must either
>> > connect to Excel to check the limit or have the limit
>> > built-in to the ftn. Wonder if it will work properly
>> > with Excel 2007?
>> >
>> > HTH someone.
>> >
>> > Ken
>>
>>