Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before

7 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2008-08-02 10:35:53.0Z
Gungor Senyurt Posted on 2008-07-31 15:58:53.0Z
From: Gungor Senyurt <gungorsATsuperonline.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-9; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2008 08:58:53 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217519933 10.22.241.152 (31 Jul 2008 08:58:53 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2008 08:58:53 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 21
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87477
Article PK: 416734

Hi all,

We have migrated an application from PB10 to PB11 and having a problem
with some DW expressions that include Left, Right, Mid (and probably
many other) functions.

If the second argument to Left function is a decimal(0) column value for
example(which is actually a numeric(5,0) column in an ASA9 db table), DW
builder does not accept the expression saying "Expecting NUMBER
expression".

This can be easily corrected by converting the value to int using int()
function. But we have many of those things, which were working in all
versions from PB6.5 up to PB10, but not working now. We also don't know
how many of the DW expression functions have changed behavior.

Also, PB does not verify DW expressions in full builds, DW editor saves etc.

Any suggestions?

Gungor


Chris Pollach Posted on 2008-07-31 16:42:37.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
Lines: 46
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2008 09:42:37 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217522557 10.22.241.152 (31 Jul 2008 09:42:37 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2008 09:42:37 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87478
Article PK: 416733

Gungor;

I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of these
built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.

Can you tell us:

1) What your ASA connection settings are?
2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?

Thanks!

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director
http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"Gungor Senyurt" <gungorsATsuperonline.com> wrote in message
news:4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi all,
>
> We have migrated an application from PB10 to PB11 and having a problem
> with some DW expressions that include Left, Right, Mid (and probably many
> other) functions.
>
> If the second argument to Left function is a decimal(0) column value for
> example(which is actually a numeric(5,0) column in an ASA9 db table), DW
> builder does not accept the expression saying "Expecting NUMBER
> expression".
>
> This can be easily corrected by converting the value to int using int()
> function. But we have many of those things, which were working in all
> versions from PB6.5 up to PB10, but not working now. We also don't know
> how many of the DW expression functions have changed behavior.
>
> Also, PB does not verify DW expressions in full builds, DW editor saves
> etc.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Gungor


Gungor Senyurt Posted on 2008-07-31 17:03:44.0Z
From: Gungor Senyurt <gungorsATsuperonline.com>
Reply-To: gungorsATsuperonline.com
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-9; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4891f070$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2008 10:03:44 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217523824 10.22.241.152 (31 Jul 2008 10:03:44 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2008 10:03:44 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87479
Article PK: 416735

Chris,

PB: 11.2 build 8542
ASA: 9.0.1.1751
Locale: U.S.
Windows: XP SP2

* Create a table:dummy
id:numeric(3,0)
name:varchar(50)

* create a simple table datawindow with the SQL:
select id,name from dummy
* add a computed field with expression:
left('AAAAAAAAAAA',id)
* validate expression -> "Expecting NUMBER expression"

Same environment, same table, PB10 does verify the expression.

Thanks.
Chris Pollach:

> Gungor;
>
> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of these
> built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>
> Can you tell us:
>
> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>
> Thanks!
>


Chris Pollach Posted on 2008-08-01 18:15:38.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891f070$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
Lines: 952
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489352ca@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Aug 2008 11:15:38 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217614538 10.22.241.152 (1 Aug 2008 11:15:38 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Aug 2008 11:15:38 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87486
Article PK: 416742

Gungor;

This works great for me (see attached) in PB 11.2 - build 8407 (official
MR release).
It does not matter if I include string data in quotes or use another
column's value.

Note: Also works OK in PB 11.5 Beta.

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director
http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com

"Gungor Senyurt" <gungorsATsuperonline.com> wrote in message
news:4891f070$1@forums-1-dub...
> Chris,
>
> PB: 11.2 build 8542
> ASA: 9.0.1.1751
> Locale: U.S.
> Windows: XP SP2
>
> * Create a table:dummy
> id:numeric(3,0)
> name:varchar(50)
>
> * create a simple table datawindow with the SQL:
> select id,name from dummy
> * add a computed field with expression:
> left('AAAAAAAAAAA',id)
> * validate expression -> "Expecting NUMBER expression"
>
> Same environment, same table, PB10 does verify the expression.
>
> Thanks.
> Chris Pollach:
>> Gungor;
>>
>> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of these
>> built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>>
>> Can you tell us:
>>
>> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
>> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
>> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
>> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

DW_CC_Expression.JPG

Gungor Senyurt Posted on 2008-07-31 20:04:23.0Z
From: Gungor Senyurt <gungorsATsuperonline.com>
Reply-To: gungorsATsuperonline.com
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-9; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48921ac7@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2008 13:04:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217534663 10.22.241.152 (31 Jul 2008 13:04:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2008 13:04:23 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 23
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87483
Article PK: 416738

Chris;

It's not related to the database.
I can even reproduce the case with an external datawindow.

Either there is a new bug, or an old bug is fixed; I don't know. But I
could not find any documentation for this change of behaviour.

Chris Pollach:

> Gungor;
>
> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of these
> built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>
> Can you tell us:
>
> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>
> Thanks!
>


M. Searer Posted on 2008-07-31 21:39:07.0Z
From: "M. Searer" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub> <48921ac7@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <48921ac7@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
Lines: 31
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="ISO-8859-9"; reply-type=response
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6001.18000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6001.18000
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489230fb$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Jul 2008 14:39:07 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217540347 10.22.241.152 (31 Jul 2008 14:39:07 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Jul 2008 14:39:07 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87484
Article PK: 416740

IIRC, there was some weird stuff going on with decimal(0) defined columns in datawindows.
I think it was more to do with it being seen as a small int vs a 32bit int; and was limited to only certain databases.

But, just for grins, change the datawindow definition from decimal(0) to long (edit datawindow directly via source)
And see if that makes any difference?

"Gungor Senyurt" <gungorsATsuperonline.com> wrote in message news:48921ac7@forums-1-dub...
> Chris;
>
> It's not related to the database.
> I can even reproduce the case with an external datawindow.
>
> Either there is a new bug, or an old bug is fixed; I don't know. But I
> could not find any documentation for this change of behaviour.
>
> Chris Pollach:
>> Gungor;
>>
>> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of these
>> built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>>
>> Can you tell us:
>>
>> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
>> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
>> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
>> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>>
>> Thanks!
>>


Gungor Senyurt Posted on 2008-08-02 10:35:53.0Z
From: Gungor Senyurt <gungorsATsuperonline.com>
Reply-To: gungorsATsuperonline.com
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (Windows/20080708)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: PB11 Datawindow expressions with Left, Mid not working as before
References: <4891e13d$1@forums-1-dub> <4891eb7d$1@forums-1-dub> <48921ac7@forums-1-dub> <489230fb$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <489230fb$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-9; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <48943889@forums-1-dub>
Date: 2 Aug 2008 03:35:53 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1217673353 10.22.241.152 (2 Aug 2008 03:35:53 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Aug 2008 03:35:53 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 77
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:87487
Article PK: 416743

If I use a long column, it doesn't give verification error.
Even with an external DW (one column number, other decimal(0)) I can use
the nuneric column, but not the decimal(0) one.
This was not so before 11.2. It might be due to the latest EBF; I have
to check this.

M. Searer:

> IIRC, there was some weird stuff going on with decimal(0) defined
> columns in datawindows. I think it was more to do with it being seen as
> a small int vs a 32bit int; and was limited to only certain databases.
>
> But, just for grins, change the datawindow definition from decimal(0) to
> long (edit datawindow directly via source) And see if that makes any
> difference?
>
>
> "Gungor Senyurt" <gungorsATsuperonline.com> wrote in message
> news:48921ac7@forums-1-dub...
>> Chris;
>>
>> It's not related to the database.
>> I can even reproduce the case with an external datawindow.
>>
>> Either there is a new bug, or an old bug is fixed; I don't know. But I
>> could not find any documentation for this change of behaviour.
>>
>> Chris Pollach:M. Searer yazmýþ:

>>> Gungor;
>>>
>>> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of
>>> these built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>>>
>>> Can you tell us:
>>>
>>> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
>>> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
>>> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
>>> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

> IIRC, there was some weird stuff going on with decimal(0) defined
> columns in datawindows. I think it was more to do with it being seen as
> a small int vs a 32bit int; and was limited to only certain databases.
>
> But, just for grins, change the datawindow definition from decimal(0) to
> long (edit datawindow directly via source) And see if that makes any
> difference?
>
>
> "Gungor Senyurt" <gungorsATsuperonline.com> wrote in message
> news:48921ac7@forums-1-dub...
>> Chris;
>>
>> It's not related to the database.
>> I can even reproduce the case with an external datawindow.
>>
>> Either there is a new bug, or an old bug is fixed; I don't know. But I
>> could not find any documentation for this change of behaviour.
>>
>> Chris Pollach:
>>> Gungor;
>>>
>>> I have been using PB 11.x and ASA 9 and SA10/11 using lots of
>>> these built-in methods with no such problems like you have indicated.
>>>
>>> Can you tell us:
>>>
>>> 1) What your ASA connection settings are?
>>> 2) What version of PB (build) are you using?
>>> 3) What version of ASA (build) are you using?
>>> 4) What version of MS-Windows are you using?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>