Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASE Table schema editor

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2008-08-08 06:37:42.0Z
"Pieter Coene" Posted on 2008-08-07 07:28:12.0Z
From: "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: ASE Table schema editor
Lines: 16
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2008 00:28:12 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1218094092 10.22.241.152 (7 Aug 2008 00:28:12 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2008 00:28:12 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:733
Article PK: 1088399

Hi,

the ASE Table Schema Editor seems to be a good replacement for sp_help,
except for the time it needs to open. On a table with 138 columns, it takes
55 seconds to open the Table Schema Editor. I would use it as an replacement
of sp_help (cause of the better stucture), but with this speed, its more
frustrating than useful.

A search option would also be great in the grid view of the column (in fact,
in all tabs). Specially when you have a table with > 250 columns, searching
for one column by scrolling is again time-consuming...

Greetz
Pieter


Daniel Huang Posted on 2008-08-07 09:13:22.0Z
Reply-To: "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com>
From: "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASE Table schema editor
Lines: 41
Organization: Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2008 02:13:22 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1218100402 10.22.241.152 (7 Aug 2008 02:13:22 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2008 02:13:22 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:734
Article PK: 1088404

Hi, Pieter:

Really thank you for your good suggestions!

Is it a remoted ASE server you connected?

About the second question, we will consider to add filter option so that you
can find the column quickly (CR540327-1).

--
Thanks and regards,

Daniel Huang

Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
Room 1202-1203, Building One,
Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
3000 Longdong Avenue
Pudong, Shanghai 201203
Email: lihuang@sybase.com

"Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
news:489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi,
>
> the ASE Table Schema Editor seems to be a good replacement for sp_help,
> except for the time it needs to open. On a table with 138 columns, it
> takes 55 seconds to open the Table Schema Editor. I would use it as an
> replacement of sp_help (cause of the better stucture), but with this
> speed, its more frustrating than useful.
>
> A search option would also be great in the grid view of the column (in
> fact, in all tabs). Specially when you have a table with > 250 columns,
> searching for one column by scrolling is again time-consuming...
>
> Greetz
> Pieter
>


"Pieter Coene" Posted on 2008-08-07 10:36:29.0Z
From: "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub> <489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASE Table schema editor
Lines: 55
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489ad02d@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2008 03:36:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1218105389 10.22.241.152 (7 Aug 2008 03:36:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2008 03:36:29 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:735
Article PK: 1088407

Hi daniel,

its our local ASE server. No slow network here (i can imagine lots of
traffic for the DDL). In Sybase Central, this is a lot quicker. Is WS
generating all the DDL for all tabs in one time? Maybe its only needed when
a tab is clicked (most of the time i only need one or two tabs)...

Greetz
Pieter

"Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi, Pieter:
>
> Really thank you for your good suggestions!
>
> Is it a remoted ASE server you connected?
>
> About the second question, we will consider to add filter option so that
> you can find the column quickly (CR540327-1).
>
> --
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Daniel Huang
>
> Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
> Room 1202-1203, Building One,
> Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
> 3000 Longdong Avenue
> Pudong, Shanghai 201203
> Email: lihuang@sybase.com
>
>
> "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
> news:489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi,
>>
>> the ASE Table Schema Editor seems to be a good replacement for sp_help,
>> except for the time it needs to open. On a table with 138 columns, it
>> takes 55 seconds to open the Table Schema Editor. I would use it as an
>> replacement of sp_help (cause of the better stucture), but with this
>> speed, its more frustrating than useful.
>>
>> A search option would also be great in the grid view of the column (in
>> fact, in all tabs). Specially when you have a table with > 250 columns,
>> searching for one column by scrolling is again time-consuming...
>>
>> Greetz
>> Pieter
>>
>
>


Daniel Huang Posted on 2008-08-08 01:37:46.0Z
Reply-To: "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com>
From: "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub> <489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub> <489ad02d@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASE Table schema editor
Lines: 81
Organization: Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489ba36a@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2008 18:37:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1218159466 10.22.241.152 (7 Aug 2008 18:37:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2008 18:37:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:736
Article PK: 1088409

Hi, Pieter:

About performance issue, we will consider to improve it in the next release
including one tab loaded in one time for schema editor.

Thank you for your feedbacks!



--
Thanks and regards,

Daniel Huang

Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
Room 1202-1203, Building One,
Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
3000 Longdong Avenue
Pudong, Shanghai 201203
Email: lihuang@sybase.com

"Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
news:489ad02d@forums-1-dub...
> Hi daniel,
>
> its our local ASE server. No slow network here (i can imagine lots of
> traffic for the DDL). In Sybase Central, this is a lot quicker. Is WS
> generating all the DDL for all tabs in one time? Maybe its only needed
> when a tab is clicked (most of the time i only need one or two tabs)...
>
> Greetz
> Pieter
>
> "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com> wrote in message
> news:489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi, Pieter:
>>
>> Really thank you for your good suggestions!
>>
>> Is it a remoted ASE server you connected?
>>
>> About the second question, we will consider to add filter option so that
>> you can find the column quickly (CR540327-1).
>>
>> --
>> Thanks and regards,
>>
>> Daniel Huang
>>
>> Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
>> Room 1202-1203, Building One,
>> Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
>> 3000 Longdong Avenue
>> Pudong, Shanghai 201203
>> Email: lihuang@sybase.com
>>
>>
>> "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
>> news:489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> the ASE Table Schema Editor seems to be a good replacement for sp_help,
>>> except for the time it needs to open. On a table with 138 columns, it
>>> takes 55 seconds to open the Table Schema Editor. I would use it as an
>>> replacement of sp_help (cause of the better stucture), but with this
>>> speed, its more frustrating than useful.
>>>
>>> A search option would also be great in the grid view of the column (in
>>> fact, in all tabs). Specially when you have a table with > 250 columns,
>>> searching for one column by scrolling is again time-consuming...
>>>
>>> Greetz
>>> Pieter
>>>
>>
>>
>
>


"Pieter Coene" Posted on 2008-08-08 06:37:42.0Z
From: "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
References: <489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub> <489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub> <489ad02d@forums-1-dub> <489ba36a@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASE Table schema editor
Lines: 92
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <489be9b6@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2008 23:37:42 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1218177462 10.22.241.152 (7 Aug 2008 23:37:42 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2008 23:37:42 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:737
Article PK: 1088408

Hi Daniel,

Great ! Looking forward for the next release ;);)

Geetz
Pieter

"Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:489ba36a@forums-1-dub...
> Hi, Pieter:
>
> About performance issue, we will consider to improve it in the next
> release including one tab loaded in one time for schema editor.
>
> Thank you for your feedbacks!
>
>
>
> --
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Daniel Huang
>
> Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
> Room 1202-1203, Building One,
> Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
> 3000 Longdong Avenue
> Pudong, Shanghai 201203
> Email: lihuang@sybase.com
>
>
> "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
> news:489ad02d@forums-1-dub...
>> Hi daniel,
>>
>> its our local ASE server. No slow network here (i can imagine lots of
>> traffic for the DDL). In Sybase Central, this is a lot quicker. Is WS
>> generating all the DDL for all tabs in one time? Maybe its only needed
>> when a tab is clicked (most of the time i only need one or two tabs)...
>>
>> Greetz
>> Pieter
>>
>> "Daniel Huang" <lihuang@sybase.com> wrote in message
>> news:489abcb2$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> Hi, Pieter:
>>>
>>> Really thank you for your good suggestions!
>>>
>>> Is it a remoted ASE server you connected?
>>>
>>> About the second question, we will consider to add filter option so that
>>> you can find the column quickly (CR540327-1).
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>>
>>> Daniel Huang
>>>
>>> Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
>>> Room 1202-1203, Building One,
>>> Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
>>> 3000 Longdong Avenue
>>> Pudong, Shanghai 201203
>>> Email: lihuang@sybase.com
>>>
>>>
>>> "Pieter Coene" <pieter at tauris dot be> wrote in message
>>> news:489aa40c$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>> Hi,
>>>>
>>>> the ASE Table Schema Editor seems to be a good replacement for sp_help,
>>>> except for the time it needs to open. On a table with 138 columns, it
>>>> takes 55 seconds to open the Table Schema Editor. I would use it as an
>>>> replacement of sp_help (cause of the better stucture), but with this
>>>> speed, its more frustrating than useful.
>>>>
>>>> A search option would also be great in the grid view of the column (in
>>>> fact, in all tabs). Specially when you have a table with > 250 columns,
>>>> searching for one column by scrolling is again time-consuming...
>>>>
>>>> Greetz
>>>> Pieter
>>>>
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>
>