Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"

12 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2008-11-27 19:50:48.0Z
Rajive Posted on 2008-11-20 18:43:14.0Z
Sender: 4fae.492561ba.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rajive
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4925afc2.580b.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 20 Nov 2008 10:43:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227206594 10.22.241.41 (20 Nov 2008 10:43:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Nov 2008 10:43:14 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 13
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7191
Article PK: 5409

If I use this:
dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db

I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in my
win32 folder.
But I have dbrsa9f.dll that produce "Missing or invalid
encryption DLL "dbrsa9f.dll"

This is after purchasing and installing all the ADD ONs and
putting EBF up to date.

Please help


Josh Savill [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2008-11-21 15:11:32.0Z
From: "Josh Savill [Sybase iAnywhere]" <no_spam_jsavill@ianywhere.com>
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 (Windows/20080914)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
References: <4925afc2.580b.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4925afc2.580b.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4926cfa4$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Nov 2008 07:11:32 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227280292 10.22.241.152 (21 Nov 2008 07:11:32 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Nov 2008 07:11:32 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 24
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7200
Article PK: 5417

You are using the FIPS encryption DLL. You need to modify the database server command line to the
following:

dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(FIPS=Y;certificate=myTestr.crt;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager

Rajive wrote:
> If I use this:
> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>
> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in my
> win32 folder.
> But I have dbrsa9f.dll that produce "Missing or invalid
> encryption DLL "dbrsa9f.dll"
>
> This is after purchasing and installing all the ADD ONs and
> putting EBF up to date.
>
> Please help


Rajive Posted on 2008-11-21 17:04:31.0Z
Sender: 4fae.492561ba.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rajive
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4926ea1f.7c20.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4926cfa4$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 21 Nov 2008 09:04:31 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227287071 10.22.241.41 (21 Nov 2008 09:04:31 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Nov 2008 09:04:31 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 34
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7202
Article PK: 5419

As I said eariler e-mail, everything should be in UPPER CASE
and your FIPS=Y is only good with 10 or 11 not with 9.0.2
The following is the correct command for FIPS on 9 (says on
the manual too). Otherwise I cannot even come to the above
error.

dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls_fips(certificate=myTestr.crt
;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db

> You are using the FIPS encryption DLL. You need to modify
> the database server command line to the following:
>
> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(FIPS=Y;certificate=myTestr.crt
> ;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>
> --
> Joshua Savill
> Sybase iAnywhere - Product Manager
>
>
> Rajive wrote:
> > If I use this:
> > dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
> > certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
> >
> > I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in my
> > win32 folder.
> > But I have dbrsa9f.dll that produce "Missing or invalid
> > encryption DLL "dbrsa9f.dll"
> >
> > This is after purchasing and installing all the ADD ONs
> > and putting EBF up to date.
> >
> > Please help


Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2008-11-21 21:45:01.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (Windows/20081105)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
References: <4926cfa4$1@forums-1-dub> <4926ea1f.7c20.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4926ea1f.7c20.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49272bdd$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:45:01 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227303901 10.22.241.152 (21 Nov 2008 13:45:01 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Nov 2008 13:45:01 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 59
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7205
Article PK: 5421

Rajive,

Rajive wrote:
> As I said eariler e-mail, everything should be in UPPER CASE

This should not be necessary - how are you starting the server? Are you
simply typing the commands in at a Command Prompt, or...?

> and your FIPS=Y is only good with 10 or 11 not with 9.0.2
> The following is the correct command for FIPS on 9 (says on
> the manual too). Otherwise I cannot even come to the above
> error.
>
> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls_fips(certificate=myTestr.crt
> ;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db

You can use either:

-ec rsa_tls_fips(...)

or:

-ec rsa_tls(...) -fips

on version 9.0.2.

>> Rajive wrote:
>>> If I use this:
>>> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
>>> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>>>
>>> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in my
>>> win32 folder.

If you specify encryption with FIPS, you need the dbrsa9f.dll file. If
you don't, you need the dbrsa9.dll file.

---

This configuration works fine on my installation:

dbsrv9 -ec
rsa_tls_fips(certificate=selfserver.pem;certificate_password=password)
-x tcpip v9.db

dbisql -c
"UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=v9;LINKS=tcpip;ENC=rsa_tls_fips(trusted_certificates=selfclient.pem)"

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0


Rajive Posted on 2008-11-23 19:46:56.0Z
Sender: 6c7d.4929b176.846930886@sybase.com
From: Rajive
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4929b330.6c9b.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <49272bdd$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 23 Nov 2008 11:46:56 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227469616 10.22.241.41 (23 Nov 2008 11:46:56 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Nov 2008 11:46:56 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 82
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7208
Article PK: 5426

Most of the command you have pointed out there does not
match with documentation. I like to follow the
documentation. Otherwise what is the purpose of the
documentation. None of the command that you have specified
does not work either.

The error is simple enough. The dbsrv9.exe version does not
have a matching dbrsa9.dll. or in FIPS case dbrsa9f.dll. I
have given enough information and it should be a simple fix.

Instead of going round the bush, why cannot you admit
problems and give a direct answer here.

If the commands given on the documentation is wrong admit it
first. So far it seems to me that was what you are trying to
state typing your won commands here.

> Rajive,
>
> Rajive wrote:
> > As I said eariler e-mail, everything should be in UPPER
> CASE
>
> This should not be necessary - how are you starting the
> server? Are you simply typing the commands in at a
> Command Prompt, or...?
>
> > and your FIPS=Y is only good with 10 or 11 not with
> > 9.0.2 The following is the correct command for FIPS on 9
> > (says on the manual too). Otherwise I cannot even come
> > to the above error.
> >
> > dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls_fips(certificate=myTestr.crt
> > ;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>
> You can use either:
>
> -ec rsa_tls_fips(...)
>
> or:
>
> -ec rsa_tls(...) -fips
>
> on version 9.0.2.
>
> >> Rajive wrote:
> >>> If I use this:
> >>> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
> >>> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
> >>>
> >>> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in
> my >>> win32 folder.
>
> If you specify encryption with FIPS, you need the
> dbrsa9f.dll file. If you don't, you need the dbrsa9.dll
> file.
>
> ---
>
> This configuration works fine on my installation:
>
> dbsrv9 -ec
> rsa_tls_fips(certificate=selfserver.pem
> ;certificate_password=password) -x tcpip v9.db
>
> dbisql -c
> "UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=v9;LINKS=tcpip
> ;ENC=rsa_tls_fips(trusted_certificates=selfclient.pem)"
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>

http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-11-23 21:40:33.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <f7jji4pmpin1mnqjbdssv72u8bbqpafead@4ax.com>
References: <49272bdd$1@forums-1-dub> <4929b330.6c9b.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 23 Nov 2008 13:40:33 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227476433 10.22.241.152 (23 Nov 2008 13:40:33 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Nov 2008 13:40:33 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 104
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7212
Article PK: 5425

Jeff has it working "This configuration works fine on my
installation"... I believe Jeff is telling the truth, and as far as I
can tell the syntax he specified in his last message matches the 9.0.2
Help file.

What docs are you referring to?

Was there some problem when you installed the FIPS Security Option
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1025772 ?

It does sound like a simple "missing dll" situation...

Breck

On 23 Nov 2008 11:46:56 -0800, Rajive wrote:

>Most of the command you have pointed out there does not
>match with documentation. I like to follow the
>documentation. Otherwise what is the purpose of the
>documentation. None of the command that you have specified
>does not work either.
>
>The error is simple enough. The dbsrv9.exe version does not
>have a matching dbrsa9.dll. or in FIPS case dbrsa9f.dll. I
>have given enough information and it should be a simple fix.
>
>Instead of going round the bush, why cannot you admit
>problems and give a direct answer here.
>
>If the commands given on the documentation is wrong admit it
>first. So far it seems to me that was what you are trying to
>state typing your won commands here.
>> Rajive,
>>
>> Rajive wrote:
>> > As I said eariler e-mail, everything should be in UPPER
>> CASE
>>
>> This should not be necessary - how are you starting the
>> server? Are you simply typing the commands in at a
>> Command Prompt, or...?
>>
>> > and your FIPS=Y is only good with 10 or 11 not with
>> > 9.0.2 The following is the correct command for FIPS on 9
>> > (says on the manual too). Otherwise I cannot even come
>> > to the above error.
>> >
>> > dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls_fips(certificate=myTestr.crt
>> > ;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>>
>> You can use either:
>>
>> -ec rsa_tls_fips(...)
>>
>> or:
>>
>> -ec rsa_tls(...) -fips
>>
>> on version 9.0.2.
>>
>> >> Rajive wrote:
>> >>> If I use this:
>> >>> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
>> >>> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>> >>>
>> >>> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in
>> my >>> win32 folder.
>>
>> If you specify encryption with FIPS, you need the
>> dbrsa9f.dll file. If you don't, you need the dbrsa9.dll
>> file.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> This configuration works fine on my installation:
>>
>> dbsrv9 -ec
>> rsa_tls_fips(certificate=selfserver.pem
>> ;certificate_password=password) -x tcpip v9.db
>>
>> dbisql -c
>> "UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=v9;LINKS=tcpip
>> ;ENC=rsa_tls_fips(trusted_certificates=selfclient.pem)"
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
>> Sybase iAnywhere
>>
>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>>
>http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> iAnywhere Documentation :
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
>> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>>
>http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com


Chris Keating [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2008-11-24 18:28:48.0Z
From: "Chris Keating [Sybase iAnywhere]" <keating_spam_free@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (Windows/20081105)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
References: <f7jji4pmpin1mnqjbdssv72u8bbqpafead@4ax.com> <492abf5d.7e2.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <492abf5d.7e2.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <492af260$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2008 10:28:48 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227551328 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2008 10:28:48 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2008 10:28:48 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 165
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7218
Article PK: 5438

The issue appears to stem from an install problem. As you indicated, you
are missing a file that should be installed and one of the files never
gets updated but should. It is that install problem that maybe root
cause or it may be side-effect of others problems which eventually
result in the other problems you are seeing. Since one file is not
getting installed, it is possible other files are not.

This will likely require more interactivity than can be provided in an
end-user newsgroup forum. I think that you may need to work with
technical support as they can work with you to isolate the cause and
bring resolution to your issue.

If you wish to continue in the forum, please understand that we are
helping you based on a volunteer basis.

BTW I just reinstalled ASA9.0.2 today for other reasons. I did get all
the expected files when I installed 9.0.2 and when I applied the EBF,
all the files were brought to the proper build. I then copied the sample
command lines from the documentation and tested. There was only a single
issue with the documentation. The sample command line contained a space
which resulted in an error - removing that space resolved the error. The
command line was case insensitive (as expected) and both rsa_tls (which
uses dbrsa9.dll) and rsa_tls_fips work. The files installed were:

Directory of C:\sa\asa9\win32\dbrsa*

10/28/08 19:40 341,296 dbrsa9.dll
10/28/08 19:40 242,992 dbrsa9f.dll


--

Chris Keating

****************************************
Please only post to the newsgroup

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
Maintenance releases and EBFs
http://downloads.sybase.com/swx/sdmain.stm
Use Case Express to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

Rajive wrote:
> I am reading the documentation came with the Sybase SQL
> anywhere 9.0.2 (created on 04/19/2005)
>
> The reason we posted questions here to get answers. Yes, you
> may say it works, but the question is how? Then why it does
> not work for me. I have even posted the dates of my dlls.
> So far what I am seen here is people from Sybase putting up
> answers pointing finger at me like I am some kind of jerk.
>
> You have error numbers, error messages, why cannot you tell
> what that means. There is no such error message on your
> documentation WHY?
> I simply install SQL Anywhere 9.0.2 and then install FIPS
> for 9.0.2 and then put the SQL Anywhere EBF 3746. No
> services or no programs from Sybase is in use. All the exe
> and dll dates change with the EBF, except dbrsa9f.dll. Then
> when I try to start it, I am getting the above error.
>
>> Jeff has it working "This configuration works fine on my
>> installation"... I believe Jeff is telling the truth, and
>> as far as I can tell the syntax he specified in his last
>> message matches the 9.0.2 Help file.
>>
>> What docs are you referring to?
>>
>> Was there some problem when you installed the FIPS
>> Security Option http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1025772 ?
>>
>> It does sound like a simple "missing dll" situation...
>>
>> Breck
>>
>> On 23 Nov 2008 11:46:56 -0800, Rajive wrote:
>>
>>> Most of the command you have pointed out there does not
>>> match with documentation. I like to follow the
>>> documentation. Otherwise what is the purpose of the
>>> documentation. None of the command that you have
>> specified >does not work either.
>>> The error is simple enough. The dbsrv9.exe version does
>> not >have a matching dbrsa9.dll. or in FIPS case
>> dbrsa9f.dll. I >have given enough information and it
>> should be a simple fix. >
>>> Instead of going round the bush, why cannot you admit
>>> problems and give a direct answer here.
>>>
>>> If the commands given on the documentation is wrong admit
>> it >first. So far it seems to me that was what you are
>> trying to >state typing your won commands here.
>>>> Rajive,
>>>>
>>>> Rajive wrote:
>>>>> As I said eariler e-mail, everything should be in
>> UPPER >> CASE
>>>> This should not be necessary - how are you starting the
>>>> server? Are you simply typing the commands in at a
>>>> Command Prompt, or...?
>>>>
>>>>> and your FIPS=Y is only good with 10 or 11 not with
>>>>> 9.0.2 The following is the correct command for FIPS
>> on 9 >> > (says on the manual too). Otherwise I cannot
>> even come >> > to the above error.
>>>>> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls_fips(certificate=myTestr.crt
>>>>> ;certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>>>> You can use either:
>>>>
>>>> -ec rsa_tls_fips(...)
>>>>
>>>> or:
>>>>
>>>> -ec rsa_tls(...) -fips
>>>>
>>>> on version 9.0.2.
>>>>
>>>>>> Rajive wrote:
>>>>>>> If I use this:
>>>>>>> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
>>>>>>> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll
>> in >> my >>> win32 folder.
>>>> If you specify encryption with FIPS, you need the
>>>> dbrsa9f.dll file. If you don't, you need the
>> dbrsa9.dll >> file.
>>>> ---
>>>>
>>>> This configuration works fine on my installation:
>>>>
>>>> dbsrv9 -ec
>>>> rsa_tls_fips(certificate=selfserver.pem
>>>> ;certificate_password=password) -x tcpip v9.db
>>>>
>>>> dbisql -c
>>>> "UID=dba;PWD=sql;ENG=v9;LINKS=tcpip
>>>> ;ENC=rsa_tls_fips(trusted_certificates=selfclient.pem)"
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>> Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
>>>> Sybase iAnywhere
>>>>
>>>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>>>>
>>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-tech
>> corner >> iAnywhere Documentation :
>>>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
>>>> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>>>>
>>> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&c
>> lient=ianywhere&timeframe=0
>>
>> --
>> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>>
>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
>> breck.carter@risingroad.com


Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere) Posted on 2008-11-24 16:44:40.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion (Sybase iAnywhere)" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.18 (Windows/20081105)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
References: <49272bdd$1@forums-1-dub> <4929b330.6c9b.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4929b330.6c9b.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <492ad9f8$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2008 08:44:40 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227545080 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2008 08:44:40 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2008 08:44:40 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 105
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7217
Article PK: 5432

Rajive,

Rajive wrote:
> The reason we posted questions here to get answers. Yes, you
> may say it works, but the question is how? Then why it does
> not work for me. I have even posted the dates of my dlls.
> So far what I am seen here is people from Sybase putting up
> answers pointing finger at me like I am some kind of jerk.

Please read point #14 of this document:
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=47613

Please reconsider the tone of your message postings here. We are here to
help you, but the accusatory nature of your messages is not appreciated
by the many volunteers that monitor these free newsgroups.

If you are unhappy with the responses you've been receiving on this
newsgroup to your problem, please open a paid technical support case by
calling 1-800-8SYBASE in North America, or contact your regional support
office: http://www.sybase.com/contactus/support

> Most of the command you have pointed out there does not
> match with documentation. I like to follow the
> documentation. Otherwise what is the purpose of the
> documentation. None of the command that you have specified
> does not work either.

The documentation I have linked to has been correct. I'm not sure what
other syntax or documentation you're referring to, but I assure you that
the links I have posted and the batch script I have provided are all
correct on a properly installed version of SQL Anywhere.

> The error is simple enough. The dbsrv9.exe version does not
> have a matching dbrsa9.dll. or in FIPS case dbrsa9f.dll. I
> have given enough information and it should be a simple fix.

There is no fix; as Breck pointed out, all of the commands work as
expected on my installation. (i.e. I cannot reproduce your problem). The
outstanding question is what's happening in your environment.

Neither of these files are present in the default install of SQL
Anywhere 9. These are add-on components. Which exact license DID you
purchase? The two licenses are separate -
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1025772 - unless you purchased both (?),
with separate keys, only one of these will be available to you.

1) Install the base SQL Anywhere 9 install, put in your SQL Anywhere
base installation product key.
2) Re-run the install, put in your RSA ("EEPER...") or RSA-FIPS ("
"EEPEF...") installation key. This should install the "dbrsa9.dll" or
"dbrsa9f.dll" files, respectively.
3) Apply the 9.0.2 maintenance patch, if required.
4) Apply the 9.0.2 EBF.

Please re-run the setup as described above. Check the versions of the
files (dbsrv9.exe and dbrsa9.dll) at each step. Please also list which
exact files you're installing from our website and in which order.

---

This is what happens when I install from the base installs:

1) Install 9.0.2 GA:

dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
dbrsa9.dll - Not found
dbrsa9f.dll - Not found

2) Install RSA (re-running the same setup, different key):
dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 442368 bytes
dbrsa9f.dll - Not found

3) Install RSA FIPS (re-running the same setup, different key):
dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 442368 bytes
dbrsa9f.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 380928 bytes

4) Install the 9.0.2.3746 EBF found here:
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/detail.do?relid=11900&baseprod=144&client=ianywhere
(SA9_Full_WIN32.902_EBF_3746.exe)

dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 83248 bytes
dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 341296 bytes
dbrsa9f.dll - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 242992 bytes

> If the commands given on the documentation is wrong admit it
> first. So far it seems to me that was what you are trying to
> state typing your won commands here.

Our documentation does indeed sometimes have errors that we actively
work to correct between minor point releases. Nonetheless, the -ec
section in the 9.0.2 documentation is correct.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0


Rajive Posted on 2008-11-24 19:42:02.0Z
Sender: 1007.492afb71.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rajive
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <492b038a.11b1.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <492ad9f8$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 24 Nov 2008 11:42:02 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227555722 10.22.241.41 (24 Nov 2008 11:42:02 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2008 11:42:02 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 153
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7220
Article PK: 5436

Jeff
Apologize for my frustration with Sybase trying to find an
answer for this problem by everyone of us in our place. A
co-worker is working with your tech guy but he is
no-show-no-go. Not worth the money so far.

Thank you for your detailed message. I wish the guy who was
this helpful. He always walk to the manager.

Anyway: We do not have a way to do the following. > 2)
Install RSA (re-running the same setup, different key):

> dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
> dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 442368 bytes
> dbrsa9f.dll - Not found

The reason is that the only files that we got from Sybase
are
SQL Anywhere 5 User 9.0.2 for Windows - 32/64bit (install
file with license key)
RSA FIPS Encryption Add-On 9.0.2 - 32bit (license key)
ECC Encryption Add-On 9.0.2 - 32bit (license key)

So I do not have a way to install dbrsa9.dll on the
computer. As you said when we do the first step there are no
files related to RSA. Then we do ECC and we can see
dbecc9.dll. Next we go to RSA FIPS and it install
dbrsa9f.dll 06/07/2007. Then we put EBF 3746. It changed our
files on win32 EXCEPT dbrsa9f.dll. Yes, there is no RSA
install or dbrsa9.dll on the system.

Interesting!!!!



> Rajive,
>
> Rajive wrote:
> > The reason we posted questions here to get answers. Yes,
> > you may say it works, but the question is how? Then why
> > it does not work for me. I have even posted the dates of
> > my dlls. So far what I am seen here is people from
> > Sybase putting up answers pointing finger at me like I
> am some kind of jerk.
>
> Please read point #14 of this document:
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=47613
>
> Please reconsider the tone of your message postings here.
> We are here to help you, but the accusatory nature of
> your messages is not appreciated by the many volunteers
> that monitor these free newsgroups.
>
> If you are unhappy with the responses you've been
> receiving on this newsgroup to your problem, please open
> a paid technical support case by calling 1-800-8SYBASE in
> North America, or contact your regional support office:
> http://www.sybase.com/contactus/support
>
> > Most of the command you have pointed out there does not
> > match with documentation. I like to follow the
> > documentation. Otherwise what is the purpose of the
> > documentation. None of the command that you have
> > specified does not work either.
>
> The documentation I have linked to has been correct. I'm
> not sure what other syntax or documentation you're
> referring to, but I assure you that the links I have
> posted and the batch script I have provided are all
> correct on a properly installed version of SQL Anywhere.
>
> > The error is simple enough. The dbsrv9.exe version does
> > not have a matching dbrsa9.dll. or in FIPS case
> > dbrsa9f.dll. I have given enough information and it
> should be a simple fix.
>
> There is no fix; as Breck pointed out, all of the commands
> work as expected on my installation. (i.e. I cannot
> reproduce your problem). The outstanding question is
> what's happening in your environment.
>
> Neither of these files are present in the default install
> of SQL Anywhere 9. These are add-on components. Which
> exact license DID you purchase? The two licenses are
> separate - http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=1025772 -
> unless you purchased both (?), with separate keys, only
> one of these will be available to you.
>
> 1) Install the base SQL Anywhere 9 install, put in your
> SQL Anywhere base installation product key.
> 2) Re-run the install, put in your RSA ("EEPER...") or
> RSA-FIPS (" "EEPEF...") installation key. This should
> install the "dbrsa9.dll" or "dbrsa9f.dll" files,
> respectively. 3) Apply the 9.0.2 maintenance patch, if
> required. 4) Apply the 9.0.2 EBF.
>
> Please re-run the setup as described above. Check the
> versions of the files (dbsrv9.exe and dbrsa9.dll) at each
> step. Please also list which exact files you're
> installing from our website and in which order.
>
> ---
>
> This is what happens when I install from the base
> installs:
>
> 1) Install 9.0.2 GA:
>
> dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
> dbrsa9.dll - Not found
> dbrsa9f.dll - Not found
>
> 2) Install RSA (re-running the same setup, different key):
> dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
> dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 442368 bytes
> dbrsa9f.dll - Not found
>
> 3) Install RSA FIPS (re-running the same setup, different
> key): dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 73728 bytes
> dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 442368 bytes
> dbrsa9f.dll - 9.0.2.2451 - 2004-10-19 - 380928 bytes
>
> 4) Install the 9.0.2.3746 EBF found here:
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/detail.do?relid=11900&baseprod=144&client=ianywhere
> (SA9_Full_WIN32.902_EBF_3746.exe)
>
> dbsrv9.exe - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 83248 bytes
> dbrsa9.dll - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 341296 bytes
> dbrsa9f.dll - 9.0.2.3746 - 2008-10-28 - 242992 bytes
>
> > If the commands given on the documentation is wrong
> > admit it first. So far it seems to me that was what you
> > are trying to state typing your won commands here.
>
> Our documentation does indeed sometimes have errors that
> we actively work to correct between minor point releases.
> Nonetheless, the -ec section in the 9.0.2 documentation
> is correct.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, SQL Anywhere Engineering
> Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0


"Stephen Rice [Sybase]" Posted on 2008-11-27 19:50:48.0Z
From: "Stephen Rice [Sybase]" <srice[at]sybase[dot]com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <4925afc2.580b.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Missing or invalid encryption DLL "dbrsa9.dll"
Lines: 35
Organization: Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <492efa18$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 Nov 2008 11:50:48 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227815448 10.22.241.152 (27 Nov 2008 11:50:48 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Nov 2008 11:50:48 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7240
Article PK: 5460

The problem has been identified and I wanted to document it for anyone who
sees this in the future,

The v9.0.2 EBFs do not correctly install the file sbgse2.dll if, when doing
your original install of the optional ECC and FIPS modules, you only
installed the components for the client and server (that is you de-selected
MobiLink). If you install using the defaults you will not see this problem.

--
/steve
Stephen Rice, Sybase iAnywhere
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Docs : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
-> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
-> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

<Rajive> wrote in message news:4925afc2.580b.1681692777@sybase.com...
> If I use this:
> dbsrv9 -ec rsa_tls(certificate=myTestr.crt;
> certificate_password=test) -x tcpip asademo.db
>
> I get the above error. Yes there is no dbrsa9.dll in my
> win32 folder.
> But I have dbrsa9f.dll that produce "Missing or invalid
> encryption DLL "dbrsa9f.dll"
>
> This is after purchasing and installing all the ADD ONs and
> putting EBF up to date.
>
> Please help