Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASA win windows don't respond on different port

4 posts in General Discussion (old) Last posting was on 2008-11-24 20:50:34.0Z
Jesus Campos Posted on 2008-11-21 17:28:23.0Z
Reply-To: "Jesus Campos" <jesus.gi@cm-barcelos.pt>
From: "Jesus Campos" <jesus.gi@cm-barcelos.pt>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere
Subject: ASA win windows don't respond on different port
Lines: 55
Organization: CMB
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4926efb7@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Nov 2008 09:28:23 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227288503 10.22.241.152 (21 Nov 2008 09:28:23 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Nov 2008 09:28:23 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere:224
Article PK: 866667

Hi there,



I have a big problem: I can't get odbc connections from client's.



The ASA 9.0.2.3746 server running in windows 2003 server sp2 on port 49155
with another's ASA servers in different ports.

The network is something like:

server <-> gateway <-> client



When in odbc manager on client side make a test connection, it fails with
"Connection failed: Database server not found". If I analyse the traffic in
gateway, I can see that the client send udp packets on port 2638 but the
server respond nothing, like you can see on attachment.



Anyone can help me, please?



Thanks,

JCampos



tcpdump -i eth1 host x.x.x.x
tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
16:39:52.052128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: S 4008225522:4008225522(0)
win 16384 <mss 576,nop,nop,sackOK>
16:39:52.052128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: S 2499006190:2499006190(0)
ack 4008225523 win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
16:39:52.084128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 1 win 16704
16:39:52.088128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: P 1:43(42) ack 1 win 16704
16:39:52.088128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: P 1:60(59) ack 43 win 65493
16:39:52.116128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: F 43:43(0) ack 60 win 16645
16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: . ack 44 win 65493
16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: F 60:60(0) ack 44 win 65493
16:39:52.120128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
16:39:52.148128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 61 win 16645
16:39:53.096128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
16:39:54.068128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
16:39:55.064128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
16:39:56.056128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30


Kory Hodgson [Sybase] Posted on 2008-11-21 21:46:48.0Z
From: "Kory Hodgson [Sybase]" <khodgson@nospam.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 (Windows/20080914)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere
Subject: Re: ASA win windows don't respond on different port
References: <4926efb7@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4926efb7@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49272c48$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Nov 2008 13:46:48 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227304008 10.22.241.152 (21 Nov 2008 13:46:48 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Nov 2008 13:46:48 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 72
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere:225
Article PK: 866668

It sounds like you need to enter a "LINKS" parameter to tell the client
how to connect to the server.

In the ODBC Administrator open the ODBC data source for this connection
and check the TCPIP option.
Then in the parameter box next to it enter PORT=49155, or whatever port
the server is listening on. You can also add HOST=<ip address>

Or if you just want to try connecting from a command line it would be
similar to the following:

dbisql -c "uid=dba;pwd=sql;links=tcpip(host=<ip address>;port=49155)"

Jesus Campos wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>
>
> I have a big problem: I can't get odbc connections from client's.
>
>
>
> The ASA 9.0.2.3746 server running in windows 2003 server sp2 on port 49155
> with another's ASA servers in different ports.
>
> The network is something like:
>
> server <-> gateway <-> client
>
>
>
> When in odbc manager on client side make a test connection, it fails with
> "Connection failed: Database server not found". If I analyse the traffic in
> gateway, I can see that the client send udp packets on port 2638 but the
> server respond nothing, like you can see on attachment.
>
>
>
> Anyone can help me, please?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
> JCampos
>
>
>
> tcpdump -i eth1 host x.x.x.x
> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol decode
> listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
> 16:39:52.052128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: S 4008225522:4008225522(0)
> win 16384 <mss 576,nop,nop,sackOK>
> 16:39:52.052128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: S 2499006190:2499006190(0)
> ack 4008225523 win 16384 <mss 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
> 16:39:52.084128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 1 win 16704
> 16:39:52.088128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: P 1:43(42) ack 1 win 16704
> 16:39:52.088128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: P 1:60(59) ack 43 win 65493
> 16:39:52.116128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: F 43:43(0) ack 60 win 16645
> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: . ack 44 win 65493
> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: F 60:60(0) ack 44 win 65493
> 16:39:52.120128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
> 16:39:52.148128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 61 win 16645
> 16:39:53.096128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
> 16:39:54.068128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
> 16:39:55.064128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
> 16:39:56.056128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>
>


Jesus Campos Posted on 2008-11-24 15:07:28.0Z
Reply-To: "Jesus Campos" <jesus.gi@cm-barcelos.pt>
From: "Jesus Campos" <jesus.gi@cm-barcelos.pt>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere
References: <4926efb7@forums-1-dub> <49272c48$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA win windows don't respond on different port
Lines: 90
Organization: CMB
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <492ac330@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2008 07:07:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227539248 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2008 07:07:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2008 07:07:28 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere:226
Article PK: 866671

Hi there,
Thanks for reply.

I know that I can set host=<ip>;serverport=<port> on odbc-> tcp
configuration, but it's not suppose to broadcast find it for me? It does for
the ASA instansces...

JCampos


"Kory Hodgson [Sybase]" <khodgson@nospam.com> escreveu na mensagem
news:49272c48$1@forums-1-dub...

> It sounds like you need to enter a "LINKS" parameter to tell the client
> how to connect to the server.
>
> In the ODBC Administrator open the ODBC data source for this connection
> and check the TCPIP option.
> Then in the parameter box next to it enter PORT=49155, or whatever port
> the server is listening on. You can also add HOST=<ip address>
>
> Or if you just want to try connecting from a command line it would be
> similar to the following:
>
> dbisql -c "uid=dba;pwd=sql;links=tcpip(host=<ip address>;port=49155)"
>
>
>
>
> Jesus Campos wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>>
>>
>> I have a big problem: I can't get odbc connections from client's.
>>
>>
>>
>> The ASA 9.0.2.3746 server running in windows 2003 server sp2 on port
>> 49155 with another's ASA servers in different ports.
>>
>> The network is something like:
>>
>> server <-> gateway <-> client
>>
>>
>>
>> When in odbc manager on client side make a test connection, it fails with
>> "Connection failed: Database server not found". If I analyse the traffic
>> in gateway, I can see that the client send udp packets on port 2638 but
>> the server respond nothing, like you can see on attachment.
>>
>>
>>
>> Anyone can help me, please?
>>
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> JCampos
>>
>>
>>
>> tcpdump -i eth1 host x.x.x.x
>> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol
>> decode
>> listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
>> 16:39:52.052128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: S
>> 4008225522:4008225522(0) win 16384 <mss 576,nop,nop,sackOK>
>> 16:39:52.052128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: S
>> 2499006190:2499006190(0) ack 4008225523 win 16384 <mss
>> 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
>> 16:39:52.084128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 1 win 16704
>> 16:39:52.088128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: P 1:43(42) ack 1 win
>> 16704
>> 16:39:52.088128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: P 1:60(59) ack 43 win
>> 65493
>> 16:39:52.116128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: F 43:43(0) ack 60 win
>> 16645
>> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: . ack 44 win 65493
>> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: F 60:60(0) ack 44 win
>> 65493
>> 16:39:52.120128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>> 16:39:52.148128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 61 win 16645
>> 16:39:53.096128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>> 16:39:54.068128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>> 16:39:55.064128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>> 16:39:56.056128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>


Kory Hodgson [Sybase] Posted on 2008-11-24 20:50:34.0Z
From: "Kory Hodgson [Sybase]" <khodgson@nospam.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.17 (Windows/20080914)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere
Subject: Re: ASA win windows don't respond on different port
References: <4926efb7@forums-1-dub> <49272c48$1@forums-1-dub> <492ac330@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <492ac330@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <492b139a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2008 12:50:34 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1227559834 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2008 12:50:34 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2008 12:50:34 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 96
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere:227
Article PK: 866669

I think the problem might be that it can't directly find your server
probably do to the "Gateway" piece in the middle of your network
diagram, but by giving the IP and port it should be able to find it
since it knows where to look.

Jesus Campos wrote:
> Hi there,
> Thanks for reply.
>
> I know that I can set host=<ip>;serverport=<port> on odbc-> tcp
> configuration, but it's not suppose to broadcast find it for me? It does for
> the ASA instansces...
>
> JCampos
>
>
> "Kory Hodgson [Sybase]" <khodgson@nospam.com> escreveu na mensagem
> news:49272c48$1@forums-1-dub...
>> It sounds like you need to enter a "LINKS" parameter to tell the client
>> how to connect to the server.
>>
>> In the ODBC Administrator open the ODBC data source for this connection
>> and check the TCPIP option.
>> Then in the parameter box next to it enter PORT=49155, or whatever port
>> the server is listening on. You can also add HOST=<ip address>
>>
>> Or if you just want to try connecting from a command line it would be
>> similar to the following:
>>
>> dbisql -c "uid=dba;pwd=sql;links=tcpip(host=<ip address>;port=49155)"
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> Jesus Campos wrote:
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> I have a big problem: I can't get odbc connections from client's.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> The ASA 9.0.2.3746 server running in windows 2003 server sp2 on port
>>> 49155 with another's ASA servers in different ports.
>>>
>>> The network is something like:
>>>
>>> server <-> gateway <-> client
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> When in odbc manager on client side make a test connection, it fails with
>>> "Connection failed: Database server not found". If I analyse the traffic
>>> in gateway, I can see that the client send udp packets on port 2638 but
>>> the server respond nothing, like you can see on attachment.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Anyone can help me, please?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> JCampos
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> tcpdump -i eth1 host x.x.x.x
>>> tcpdump: verbose output suppressed, use -v or -vv for full protocol
>>> decode
>>> listening on eth1, link-type EN10MB (Ethernet), capture size 96 bytes
>>> 16:39:52.052128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: S
>>> 4008225522:4008225522(0) win 16384 <mss 576,nop,nop,sackOK>
>>> 16:39:52.052128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: S
>>> 2499006190:2499006190(0) ack 4008225523 win 16384 <mss
>>> 1460,nop,nop,sackOK>
>>> 16:39:52.084128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 1 win 16704
>>> 16:39:52.088128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: P 1:43(42) ack 1 win
>>> 16704
>>> 16:39:52.088128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: P 1:60(59) ack 43 win
>>> 65493
>>> 16:39:52.116128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: F 43:43(0) ack 60 win
>>> 16645
>>> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: . ack 44 win 65493
>>> 16:39:52.116128 IP gateway.2638 > x.x.x.x.4495: F 60:60(0) ack 44 win
>>> 65493
>>> 16:39:52.120128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>> 16:39:52.148128 IP x.x.x.x.4495 > gateway.2638: . ack 61 win 16645
>>> 16:39:53.096128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>> 16:39:54.068128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>> 16:39:55.064128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>> 16:39:56.056128 IP x.x.x.x.4496 > gateway.2638: UDP, length 30
>>>
>