Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Requirements for client machine to save as pdf

7 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2009-02-21 11:21:03.0Z
Scot Styer Posted on 2008-12-12 16:09:08.0Z
Sender: 2caa.49427cd7.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Scot Styer
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 12 Dec 2008 08:09:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229098148 10.22.241.41 (12 Dec 2008 08:09:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Dec 2008 08:09:08 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 5
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88391
Article PK: 417645

what is needed for a client to save as a pdf?
and, why does it work for a development machine? I can save
as a pdf on my machine without problems. We seem to be
missing something on the client machine. It always says
unable to save file.


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-12-12 16:22:25.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
Lines: 24
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49428fc1$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 12 Dec 2008 08:22:25 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229098945 10.22.241.152 (12 Dec 2008 08:22:25 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Dec 2008 08:22:25 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88392
Article PK: 417646

You should always post the version of PB you are using. I will presume that
it is new enough to have SaveAs(PDF!).
In general, two pieces: the GhostScript http://www.ghostscript.com/ open
source software must be installed on the client, and the Sybase PS Driver
must be installed on the client. GhostScript cannot be included in the PB
install due to licensing issues.
If you include the drivers folder (C:\Program
Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers) in the client install in the same
directory as the application, the driver will install automatically the
first time the user does a SaveAs(PDF!) - IF the user has authority to
install a printer. If not, you may have to have a support
person/adminsitrator do it manually <PITA>.
Details may be found in the HTML books under Help: PowerBuilder Users Guide,
Chapter 19, topic Saving data in an external file.

<Scot Styer> wrote in message news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com...
> what is needed for a client to save as a pdf?
> and, why does it work for a development machine? I can save
> as a pdf on my machine without problems. We seem to be
> missing something on the client machine. It always says
> unable to save file.


Scot Styer Posted on 2008-12-15 12:46:08.0Z
Sender: 31c0.49465066.846930886@sybase.com
From: Scot Styer
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <49465190.31de.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <49428fc1$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Dec 2008 04:46:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229345168 10.22.241.41 (15 Dec 2008 04:46:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2008 04:46:08 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88397
Article PK: 417649

sorry about that... pb11.1
ok, but I'm kind of curious though.
I haven't installed the ghostscript software on my
powerbuilder development machine, and it works fine on it.
any reason for that?

> You should always post the version of PB you are using. I
> will presume that it is new enough to have SaveAs(PDF!).
> In general, two pieces: the GhostScript
> http://www.ghostscript.com/ open source software must be
> installed on the client, and the Sybase PS Driver must be
> installed on the client. GhostScript cannot be included in
> the PB install due to licensing issues.
> If you include the drivers folder (C:\Program
> Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers) in the client
> install in the same directory as the application, the
> driver will install automatically the first time the user
> does a SaveAs(PDF!) - IF the user has authority to
> install a printer. If not, you may have to have a support
> person/adminsitrator do it manually <PITA>. Details may be
> found in the HTML books under Help: PowerBuilder Users
> Guide, Chapter 19, topic Saving data in an external file.
>
>
> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
> > news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com... what is
> > needed for a client to save as a pdf? and, why does it
> > work for a development machine? I can save as a pdf on
> > my machine without problems. We seem to be missing
> > something on the client machine. It always says unable
> to save file.
>
>


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-12-15 14:16:26.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <49428fc1$1@forums-1-dub> <49465190.31de.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
Lines: 45
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <494666ba$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Dec 2008 06:16:26 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229350586 10.22.241.152 (15 Dec 2008 06:16:26 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2008 06:16:26 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88399
Article PK: 417653

Maybe someone else did? Or maybe you are using the XSL-FO method, which uses
Java files that would have been installed with PB but are not include in the
client install. Check the Data Export tab on the DW.
See the Application Techniques book. Help, contents, HTML Books, Application
Techniques, Deployment Techiniques, Chapter 41, PDF and XSL-FO export for
all the gruesome details.

<Scot Styer> wrote in message news:49465190.31de.1681692777@sybase.com...
> sorry about that... pb11.1
> ok, but I'm kind of curious though.
> I haven't installed the ghostscript software on my
> powerbuilder development machine, and it works fine on it.
> any reason for that?
>
>
>
>> You should always post the version of PB you are using. I
>> will presume that it is new enough to have SaveAs(PDF!).
>> In general, two pieces: the GhostScript
>> http://www.ghostscript.com/ open source software must be
>> installed on the client, and the Sybase PS Driver must be
>> installed on the client. GhostScript cannot be included in
>> the PB install due to licensing issues.
>> If you include the drivers folder (C:\Program
>> Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers) in the client
>> install in the same directory as the application, the
>> driver will install automatically the first time the user
>> does a SaveAs(PDF!) - IF the user has authority to
>> install a printer. If not, you may have to have a support
>> person/adminsitrator do it manually <PITA>. Details may be
>> found in the HTML books under Help: PowerBuilder Users
>> Guide, Chapter 19, topic Saving data in an external file.
>>
>>
>> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
>> > news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com... what is
>> > needed for a client to save as a pdf? and, why does it
>> > work for a development machine? I can save as a pdf on
>> > my machine without problems. We seem to be missing
>> > something on the client machine. It always says unable
>> to save file.
>>
>>


Scot Styer Posted on 2008-12-15 16:07:51.0Z
Sender: 31c0.49465066.846930886@sybase.com
From: Scot Styer
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <494680d7.3739.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <494666ba$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Dec 2008 08:07:51 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229357271 10.22.241.41 (15 Dec 2008 08:07:51 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2008 08:07:51 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 63
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88403
Article PK: 417656

Hate to beat this into the ground
so... does every datawindow have to have the
data export format set to PDF, and distill in order
for it to make use of the ghost script route

and... when we go to save as a pdf
the programmer was doing the following
ls_ret =dw_report.Modify("datawindow.Export.PDF.Method =
'1'")
ls_ret
=dw_report.Modify("datawindow.Export.PDF.xslfop.print=no")
li_res = dw_report.saveas(ls_path, pdf!, true)

I take it that this method was trying to use the XSL-FO...
which uses the java method

> Maybe someone else did? Or maybe you are using the XSL-FO
> method, which uses Java files that would have been
> installed with PB but are not include in the client
> install. Check the Data Export tab on the DW. See the
> Application Techniques book. Help, contents, HTML Books,
> Application Techniques, Deployment Techiniques, Chapter
> 41, PDF and XSL-FO export for all the gruesome details.
>
> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
> > news:49465190.31de.1681692777@sybase.com... sorry about
> > that... pb11.1 ok, but I'm kind of curious though.
> > I haven't installed the ghostscript software on my
> > powerbuilder development machine, and it works fine on
> > it. any reason for that?
> >
> >
> >
> >> You should always post the version of PB you are using.
> I >> will presume that it is new enough to have
> SaveAs(PDF!). >> In general, two pieces: the GhostScript
> >> http://www.ghostscript.com/ open source software must
> be >> installed on the client, and the Sybase PS Driver
> must be >> installed on the client. GhostScript cannot be
> included in >> the PB install due to licensing issues.
> >> If you include the drivers folder (C:\Program
> >> Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers) in the client
> >> install in the same directory as the application, the
> >> driver will install automatically the first time the
> user >> does a SaveAs(PDF!) - IF the user has authority to
> >> install a printer. If not, you may have to have a
> support >> person/adminsitrator do it manually <PITA>.
> Details may be >> found in the HTML books under Help:
> PowerBuilder Users >> Guide, Chapter 19, topic Saving
> data in an external file. >>
> >>
> >> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
> >> > news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com... what is
> >> > needed for a client to save as a pdf? and, why does
> it >> > work for a development machine? I can save as a
> pdf on >> > my machine without problems. We seem to be
> missing >> > something on the client machine. It always
> says unable >> to save file.
> >>
> >>
>
>


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-12-15 16:27:45.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <494666ba$1@forums-1-dub> <494680d7.3739.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
Lines: 75
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49468581@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Dec 2008 08:27:45 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1229358465 10.22.241.152 (15 Dec 2008 08:27:45 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Dec 2008 08:27:45 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88406
Article PK: 417661

Distill is the default, so you shouldn't have to change that. Unless of
course some of them have been set to XSLFO.
That's what the code looks like to me. Is there some reason not to use
GhostScript, like a PHB prohibition on open source code? Most shops do use
GS, since XSLFO has some limitations.
You might want to mention your needs in the thread in General titled Rich
Text and PDF - it sounds like Sybase is looking for feedback to decide how
to handle them in 12.

<Scot Styer> wrote in message news:494680d7.3739.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hate to beat this into the ground
> so... does every datawindow have to have the
> data export format set to PDF, and distill in order
> for it to make use of the ghost script route
>
> and... when we go to save as a pdf
> the programmer was doing the following
> ls_ret =dw_report.Modify("datawindow.Export.PDF.Method =
> '1'")
> ls_ret
> =dw_report.Modify("datawindow.Export.PDF.xslfop.print=no")
> li_res = dw_report.saveas(ls_path, pdf!, true)
>
> I take it that this method was trying to use the XSL-FO...
> which uses the java method
>
>
>> Maybe someone else did? Or maybe you are using the XSL-FO
>> method, which uses Java files that would have been
>> installed with PB but are not include in the client
>> install. Check the Data Export tab on the DW. See the
>> Application Techniques book. Help, contents, HTML Books,
>> Application Techniques, Deployment Techiniques, Chapter
>> 41, PDF and XSL-FO export for all the gruesome details.
>>
>> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
>> > news:49465190.31de.1681692777@sybase.com... sorry about
>> > that... pb11.1 ok, but I'm kind of curious though.
>> > I haven't installed the ghostscript software on my
>> > powerbuilder development machine, and it works fine on
>> > it. any reason for that?
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >> You should always post the version of PB you are using.
>> I >> will presume that it is new enough to have
>> SaveAs(PDF!). >> In general, two pieces: the GhostScript
>> >> http://www.ghostscript.com/ open source software must
>> be >> installed on the client, and the Sybase PS Driver
>> must be >> installed on the client. GhostScript cannot be
>> included in >> the PB install due to licensing issues.
>> >> If you include the drivers folder (C:\Program
>> >> Files\Sybase\Shared\PowerBuilder\drivers) in the client
>> >> install in the same directory as the application, the
>> >> driver will install automatically the first time the
>> user >> does a SaveAs(PDF!) - IF the user has authority to
>> >> install a printer. If not, you may have to have a
>> support >> person/adminsitrator do it manually <PITA>.
>> Details may be >> found in the HTML books under Help:
>> PowerBuilder Users >> Guide, Chapter 19, topic Saving
>> data in an external file. >>
>> >>
>> >> <Scot Styer> wrote in message
>> >> > news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com... what is
>> >> > needed for a client to save as a pdf? and, why does
>> it >> > work for a development machine? I can save as a
>> pdf on >> > my machine without problems. We seem to be
>> missing >> > something on the client machine. It always
>> says unable >> to save file.
>> >>
>> >>
>>
>>


Arthur Hefti Posted on 2009-02-21 11:21:03.0Z
From: "Arthur Hefti" <arthur@catsoft.ch>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Requirements for client machine to save as pdf
Lines: 17
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <499fe39f@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Feb 2009 03:21:03 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235215263 10.22.241.152 (21 Feb 2009 03:21:03 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Feb 2009 03:21:03 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:88844
Article PK: 418097

We created CATsoftPDF, a PowerBuilder DataWindow PDF creator that works
without installing a printer driver. It has some limitations when it comes
to dynamic sizes. You can download a trial/beta at
http://www.catsoft.ch/en/asp/page.aspx?key=sandbox, scroll down to the
PowerBuilder section.

All input will be welcome.
Arthur

<Scot Styer> wrote in message news:49428ca4.2e5d.1681692777@sybase.com...
> what is needed for a client to save as a pdf?
> and, why does it work for a development machine? I can save
> as a pdf on my machine without problems. We seem to be
> missing something on the client machine. It always says
> unable to save file.