Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Connection_property doesnt work in events

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-02-03 16:46:06.0Z
Zuzana Posted on 2009-01-28 08:37:06.0Z
From: "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Connection_property doesnt work in events
Lines: 16
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3350
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49801932@forums-1-dub>
Date: 28 Jan 2009 00:37:06 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233131826 10.22.241.152 (28 Jan 2009 00:37:06 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 28 Jan 2009 00:37:06 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7321
Article PK: 5531

Hi,

I have problems with property connection_property when I want to read it in
events.
It is always set to N/A .
As an example,
I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
[event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
[connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the connection has
failed? that I cannot access "connection_property"?

please any help?

thanks, Zuzana


David Fishburn Posted on 2009-01-28 14:37:12.0Z
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Connection_property doesnt work in events
From: David Fishburn <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com>
References: <49801932@forums-1-dub>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
Message-ID: <Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106>
User-Agent: Xnews/2005.10.18
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 28 Jan 2009 06:37:12 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233153432 10.22.241.152 (28 Jan 2009 06:37:12 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 28 Jan 2009 06:37:12 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 43
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7323
Article PK: 5533

"Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk> wrote in news:49801932@forums-1-dub of
ianywhere.public.general:

Z> I have problems with property connection_property when I want to read
Z> it in events.
Z> It is always set to N/A .
Z> As an example,
Z> I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
Z> [event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
Z> [connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the
Z> connection has failed? that I cannot access "connection_property"?

Events fire on a _separate_ database connection. So you cannot
retrieve information about the failed connect except what is passed
into the event through the event_parameter function.

I will talk with engineering about adding the AppInfo as another user
parameter to this event.

--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
EACH post (dbeng11 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

Case-Express - to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

Documentation
http://dcx.sybase.com/


David Fishburn Posted on 2009-02-03 04:22:28.0Z
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Connection_property doesnt work in events
From: David Fishburn <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com>
References: <49801932@forums-1-dub> <Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
Message-ID: <Xns9BA6EDC76D8EDfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106>
User-Agent: Xnews/2005.10.18
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 2 Feb 2009 20:22:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233634948 10.22.241.152 (2 Feb 2009 20:22:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Feb 2009 20:22:28 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 63
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7345
Article PK: 5761

David Fishburn <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> wrote in
news:Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106
of ianywhere.public.general:

DF> "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk> wrote in news:49801932@forums-1-dub of
DF> ianywhere.public.general:
DF>
DF> Z> I have problems with property connection_property when I want to
read
DF> Z> it in events.
DF> Z> It is always set to N/A .
DF> Z> As an example,
DF> Z> I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
DF> Z> [event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
DF> Z> [connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the
DF> Z> connection has failed? that I cannot access
"connection_property"?
DF>
DF> Events fire on a _separate_ database connection. So you cannot
DF> retrieve information about the failed connect except what is passed
DF> into the event through the event_parameter function.
DF>
DF> I will talk with engineering about adding the AppInfo as another
user
DF> parameter to this event.

So, it looks like AppInfo is already passed as a parameter to this
event (thanks Bruce).

create event myevt type connectfailed
handler
begin
message 'connect failed: ' || current time || ' ' ||
event_parameter('AppInfo') to console;
end

It contains the host machine information you were looking for.


--
David Fishburn
Certified ASA Developer Version 8
iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
Professional Services
Please only post to the newsgroup
Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
EACH post (dbeng11 -v).

EBFs and Maintenance Releases
http://downloads.sybase.com/

Developer Community / Whitepapers
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer

Case-Express - to report bugs
http://case-express.sybase.com

CodeXchange - Free samples
http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList

Documentation
http://dcx.sybase.com/


Zuzana Posted on 2009-02-03 15:49:09.0Z
From: "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <49801932@forums-1-dub> <Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106> <Xns9BA6EDC76D8EDfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106>
Subject: Re: Connection_property doesnt work in events
Lines: 74
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3350
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49886775$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 3 Feb 2009 07:49:09 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233676149 10.22.241.152 (3 Feb 2009 07:49:09 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Feb 2009 07:49:09 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7349
Article PK: 5765

Thanks much,
and what about event_parameter('AppInfo') in event type "Connect" ?
When I look in the documentation (ASA10), it looks it might be there. but
the reality is different.

Zuzana

"David Fishburn" <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> napísal v správe
news:Xns9BA6EDC76D8EDfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106...

> David Fishburn <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> wrote in
> news:Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106
> of ianywhere.public.general:
>
> DF> "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk> wrote in news:49801932@forums-1-dub of
> DF> ianywhere.public.general:
> DF>
> DF> Z> I have problems with property connection_property when I want to
> read
> DF> Z> it in events.
> DF> Z> It is always set to N/A .
> DF> Z> As an example,
> DF> Z> I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
> DF> Z> [event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
> DF> Z> [connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the
> DF> Z> connection has failed? that I cannot access
> "connection_property"?
> DF>
> DF> Events fire on a _separate_ database connection. So you cannot
> DF> retrieve information about the failed connect except what is passed
> DF> into the event through the event_parameter function.
> DF>
> DF> I will talk with engineering about adding the AppInfo as another
> user
> DF> parameter to this event.
>
> So, it looks like AppInfo is already passed as a parameter to this
> event (thanks Bruce).
>
> create event myevt type connectfailed
> handler
> begin
> message 'connect failed: ' || current time || ' ' ||
> event_parameter('AppInfo') to console;
> end
>
> It contains the host machine information you were looking for.
>
>
> --
> David Fishburn
> Certified ASA Developer Version 8
> iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
> Professional Services
> Please only post to the newsgroup
> Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
> EACH post (dbeng11 -v).
>
> EBFs and Maintenance Releases
> http://downloads.sybase.com/
>
> Developer Community / Whitepapers
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
>
> Case-Express - to report bugs
> http://case-express.sybase.com
>
> CodeXchange - Free samples
> http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
>
> Documentation
> http://dcx.sybase.com/
>


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-02-03 16:46:06.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Connection_property doesnt work in events
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <m2tgo4hdmjsi5qb99n9oho9cp1ei1oai49@4ax.com>
References: <49801932@forums-1-dub> <Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106> <Xns9BA6EDC76D8EDfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106> <49886775$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 3 Feb 2009 08:46:06 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233679566 10.22.241.152 (3 Feb 2009 08:46:06 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Feb 2009 08:46:06 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 90
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7351
Article PK: 5764

As far as I know, you can get the connection number of the "calling"
connection, and from there determine all the properties of THAT
connection. There are a whackload of functions for investigating
properties, and you can call them from a FROM clause.

If you want more details, just ask.

Breck

On 3 Feb 2009 07:49:09 -0800, "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk> wrote:

>Thanks much,
>and what about event_parameter('AppInfo') in event type "Connect" ?
>When I look in the documentation (ASA10), it looks it might be there. but
>the reality is different.
>
>Zuzana
>
>"David Fishburn" <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> napísal v správe
>news:Xns9BA6EDC76D8EDfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106...
>> David Fishburn <fishburn_spam_off@ianywhere.com> wrote in
>> news:Xns9BA161DC42CAEfishburnsybasecom@10.22.241.106
>> of ianywhere.public.general:
>>
>> DF> "Zuzana" <cintalovaz@mcr.sk> wrote in news:49801932@forums-1-dub of
>> DF> ianywhere.public.general:
>> DF>
>> DF> Z> I have problems with property connection_property when I want to
>> read
>> DF> Z> it in events.
>> DF> Z> It is always set to N/A .
>> DF> Z> As an example,
>> DF> Z> I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
>> DF> Z> [event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
>> DF> Z> [connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the
>> DF> Z> connection has failed? that I cannot access
>> "connection_property"?
>> DF>
>> DF> Events fire on a _separate_ database connection. So you cannot
>> DF> retrieve information about the failed connect except what is passed
>> DF> into the event through the event_parameter function.
>> DF>
>> DF> I will talk with engineering about adding the AppInfo as another
>> user
>> DF> parameter to this event.
>>
>> So, it looks like AppInfo is already passed as a parameter to this
>> event (thanks Bruce).
>>
>> create event myevt type connectfailed
>> handler
>> begin
>> message 'connect failed: ' || current time || ' ' ||
>> event_parameter('AppInfo') to console;
>> end
>>
>> It contains the host machine information you were looking for.
>>
>>
>> --
>> David Fishburn
>> Certified ASA Developer Version 8
>> iAnywhere Solutions - Sybase
>> Professional Services
>> Please only post to the newsgroup
>> Please ALWAYS include version and MORE importantly BUILD number with
>> EACH post (dbeng11 -v).
>>
>> EBFs and Maintenance Releases
>> http://downloads.sybase.com/
>>
>> Developer Community / Whitepapers
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
>>
>> Case-Express - to report bugs
>> http://case-express.sybase.com
>>
>> CodeXchange - Free samples
>> http://ianywhere.codexchange.sybase.com/servlets/ProjectDocumentList
>>
>> Documentation
>> http://dcx.sybase.com/
>>
>

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-01-28 15:47:07.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Connection_property doesnt work in events
References: <49801932@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <49801932@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49807dfb@forums-1-dub>
Date: 28 Jan 2009 07:47:07 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233157627 10.22.241.152 (28 Jan 2009 07:47:07 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 28 Jan 2009 07:47:07 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 31
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7329
Article PK: 5539

Look in the documentation for the event_parameter function. You need to
use that rather than connection_property.

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

Zuzana wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have problems with property connection_property when I want to read it in
> events.
> It is always set to N/A .
> As an example,
> I have ConnectFailed event and I would like to get User name
> [event_parameter('User')] and IPaddress
> [connection_property('NodeAddress')]=N/A. Is that because the connection has
> failed? that I cannot access "connection_property"?
>
> please any help?
>
> thanks, Zuzana
>
>