Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Tax on Products

7 posts in Commercial ISV's Last posting was on 2009-02-14 04:43:12.0Z
Brad Wery[TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-02-05 20:15:14.0Z
From: "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Tax on Products
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 5 Feb 2009 12:15:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233864914 10.22.241.152 (5 Feb 2009 12:15:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 5 Feb 2009 12:15:14 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 17
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:199
Article PK: 103915

When selling software online, do you have to do anything about
collecting taxes?

--

******************************************************************************************************
www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
- Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

******************************************************************************************************
www.iCrazySQL.com
- Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

******************************************************************************************************


"jeff" Posted on 2009-02-06 13:33:34.0Z
Reply-To: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
From: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
Lines: 43
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <498c3c2e$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Feb 2009 05:33:34 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233927214 10.22.241.152 (6 Feb 2009 05:33:34 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Feb 2009 05:33:34 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: pb110beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:202
Article PK: 103919

Brad, you live in canada, correct.

HST / GST has an exemption amount - if you make less than 30k from the
proceeds of your service and products per 4 quarter period you are exempt
from collecting and filing an hst return. Once you make over the magic 30k,
you need to register and obtain a GST number and start collecting it and
file a GST/HST return. I am not sure how this works for international
sales.

PST is a province thing (and where I live I do not have to worry about it -
we have HST in NB). You would need to find out about this from your
provincial government. I am pretty sure though, there is not magic
threshold here ... if you are selling a product, you need to charge and
collect provincial sales tax.

Saying this, look at the following for leads on this ...

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/GST_and_HST_Goods_and_Services_Tax.htm

Jeff.

"Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
news:498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub...
> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about collecting
> taxes?
>
> --
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.iCrazySQL.com
> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
> SQL Anywhere
>
> ******************************************************************************************************


Brad Wery[TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-02-06 15:13:29.0Z
From: "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub> <498c3c2e$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <498c3c2e$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <498c5399$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Feb 2009 07:13:29 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233933209 10.22.241.152 (6 Feb 2009 07:13:29 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Feb 2009 07:13:29 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 70
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:204
Article PK: 103921

Excellent link. Thanks a lot.

It sounds like I only have to charge GST for Canadian's who purchase the
software:

http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/f/chargenonresGST.htm

Provincial tax seems to be very complicated. If I use a 3rd party online
e-commerce company to handle payments, would they take care of all of this?

jeff wrote:
> Brad, you live in canada, correct.
>
> HST / GST has an exemption amount - if you make less than 30k from the
> proceeds of your service and products per 4 quarter period you are exempt
> from collecting and filing an hst return. Once you make over the magic 30k,
> you need to register and obtain a GST number and start collecting it and
> file a GST/HST return. I am not sure how this works for international
> sales.
>
> PST is a province thing (and where I live I do not have to worry about it -
> we have HST in NB). You would need to find out about this from your
> provincial government. I am pretty sure though, there is not magic
> threshold here ... if you are selling a product, you need to charge and
> collect provincial sales tax.
>
> Saying this, look at the following for leads on this ...
>
> http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/GST_and_HST_Goods_and_Services_Tax.htm
>
> Jeff.
>
> "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub...
>> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about collecting
>> taxes?
>>
>> --
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.iCrazySQL.com
>> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
>> SQL Anywhere
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>
>

--

******************************************************************************************************
www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
- Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

******************************************************************************************************
www.iCrazySQL.com
- Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

******************************************************************************************************


"jeff" Posted on 2009-02-06 16:21:54.0Z
Reply-To: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
From: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub> <498c3c2e$1@forums-1-dub> <498c5399$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
Lines: 91
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <498c63a2@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Feb 2009 08:21:54 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233937314 10.22.241.152 (6 Feb 2009 08:21:54 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Feb 2009 08:21:54 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: pb110beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:207
Article PK: 103924

As for PST, I have no clue ... i do not need to worry about PST as I live in
a province with only HST and I only supply services within the city, I do
not sell products. You would be best to contact somebody from CCRA or your
provincial government ... I know when I had HST / GST questions, I could've
had a person from the federal government come by and tell me all about ...
however, I did not have to do this - my wife took care of it for me (she's a
CA, tax accountant, with an international accounting firm and set me up with
all I needed know).


As a side note, any GST you pay during the course of business (ie purchasing
a desk, office supplies or what ever) can be debucted from the gst you
collect from your customers. A small incentive for being a tax collector
for the government.

"Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
news:498c5399$1@forums-1-dub...
> Excellent link. Thanks a lot.
>
> It sounds like I only have to charge GST for Canadian's who purchase the
> software:
>
> http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/f/chargenonresGST.htm
>
> Provincial tax seems to be very complicated. If I use a 3rd party online
> e-commerce company to handle payments, would they take care of all of
> this?
>
>
>
> jeff wrote:
>> Brad, you live in canada, correct.
>>
>> HST / GST has an exemption amount - if you make less than 30k from the
>> proceeds of your service and products per 4 quarter period you are exempt
>> from collecting and filing an hst return. Once you make over the magic
>> 30k, you need to register and obtain a GST number and start collecting it
>> and file a GST/HST return. I am not sure how this works for
>> international sales.
>>
>> PST is a province thing (and where I live I do not have to worry about
>> it - we have HST in NB). You would need to find out about this from your
>> provincial government. I am pretty sure though, there is not magic
>> threshold here ... if you are selling a product, you need to charge and
>> collect provincial sales tax.
>>
>> Saying this, look at the following for leads on this ...
>>
>> http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/GST_and_HST_Goods_and_Services_Tax.htm
>>
>> Jeff.
>>
>> "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
>> news:498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub...
>>> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about
>>> collecting taxes?
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>>> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>>
>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>> www.iCrazySQL.com
>>> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
>>> SQL Anywhere
>>>
>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>
>>
>
> --
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.iCrazySQL.com
> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
> SQL Anywhere
>
> ******************************************************************************************************


Brad Wery[TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-02-06 19:34:58.0Z
From: "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub> <498c3c2e$1@forums-1-dub> <498c5399$1@forums-1-dub> <498c63a2@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <498c63a2@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <498c90e2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 6 Feb 2009 11:34:58 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1233948898 10.22.241.152 (6 Feb 2009 11:34:58 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Feb 2009 11:34:58 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 107
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:209
Article PK: 103925

I think what I need is an accountant.

jeff wrote:
> As for PST, I have no clue ... i do not need to worry about PST as I live in
> a province with only HST and I only supply services within the city, I do
> not sell products. You would be best to contact somebody from CCRA or your
> provincial government ... I know when I had HST / GST questions, I could've
> had a person from the federal government come by and tell me all about ...
> however, I did not have to do this - my wife took care of it for me (she's a
> CA, tax accountant, with an international accounting firm and set me up with
> all I needed know).
>
>
> As a side note, any GST you pay during the course of business (ie purchasing
> a desk, office supplies or what ever) can be debucted from the gst you
> collect from your customers. A small incentive for being a tax collector
> for the government.
>
>
> "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
> news:498c5399$1@forums-1-dub...
>> Excellent link. Thanks a lot.
>>
>> It sounds like I only have to charge GST for Canadian's who purchase the
>> software:
>>
>> http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/f/chargenonresGST.htm
>>
>> Provincial tax seems to be very complicated. If I use a 3rd party online
>> e-commerce company to handle payments, would they take care of all of
>> this?
>>
>>
>>
>> jeff wrote:
>>> Brad, you live in canada, correct.
>>>
>>> HST / GST has an exemption amount - if you make less than 30k from the
>>> proceeds of your service and products per 4 quarter period you are exempt
>>> from collecting and filing an hst return. Once you make over the magic
>>> 30k, you need to register and obtain a GST number and start collecting it
>>> and file a GST/HST return. I am not sure how this works for
>>> international sales.
>>>
>>> PST is a province thing (and where I live I do not have to worry about
>>> it - we have HST in NB). You would need to find out about this from your
>>> provincial government. I am pretty sure though, there is not magic
>>> threshold here ... if you are selling a product, you need to charge and
>>> collect provincial sales tax.
>>>
>>> Saying this, look at the following for leads on this ...
>>>
>>> http://sbinfocanada.about.com/od/gsthst/GST_and_HST_Goods_and_Services_Tax.htm
>>>
>>> Jeff.
>>>
>>> "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
>>> news:498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub...
>>>> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about
>>>> collecting taxes?
>>>>
>>>> --
>>>>
>>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>>> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>>> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>>>> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>>> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>>>
>>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>>> www.iCrazySQL.com
>>>> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
>>>> SQL Anywhere
>>>>
>>>> ******************************************************************************************************
>>>
>> --
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
>> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>> www.iCrazySQL.com
>> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
>> SQL Anywhere
>>
>> ******************************************************************************************************
>
>

--

******************************************************************************************************
www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
- Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

******************************************************************************************************
www.iCrazySQL.com
- Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

******************************************************************************************************


Brad Wery[TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-02-13 21:32:00.0Z
From: "Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4995e6d0$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Feb 2009 13:32:00 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1234560720 10.22.241.152 (13 Feb 2009 13:32:00 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Feb 2009 13:32:00 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 26
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:220
Article PK: 103936

It turns out that the e-commerce company I use to sell the software will
act as the "middle-man". This means that they will be buying the product
from me, and they would be out side of Canada. I don't have to worry
about any sales taxes.

Brad Wery[TeamSybase] wrote:
> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about
> collecting taxes?
>

--

******************************************************************************************************
www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
- Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
- Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com

******************************************************************************************************
www.iCrazySQL.com
- Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server
and SQL Anywhere

******************************************************************************************************


"jeff" Posted on 2009-02-14 04:43:12.0Z
Reply-To: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
From: "jeff" <jhersey at allnorth dottt com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.commercial-isv.general
References: <498b48d2$1@forums-1-dub> <4995e6d0$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Tax on Products
Lines: 32
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49964be0$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Feb 2009 20:43:12 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1234586592 10.22.241.152 (13 Feb 2009 20:43:12 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Feb 2009 20:43:12 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: pb110beta
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.commercial-isv.general:221
Article PK: 103937

... just income tax :-(

"Brad Wery[TeamSybase]" <bradweryatgmail.com> wrote in message
news:4995e6d0$1@forums-1-dub...
> It turns out that the e-commerce company I use to sell the software will
> act as the "middle-man". This means that they will be buying the product
> from me, and they would be out side of Canada. I don't have to worry about
> any sales taxes.
>
>
>
> Brad Wery[TeamSybase] wrote:
>> When selling software online, do you have to do anything about collecting
>> taxes?
>>
>
> --
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Take control of your GUI with a free PB user control library
> - Get updates from my blog - blog.PowerToTheBuilder.com
> - Get support from - forum.PowerToTheBuilder.com
>
> ******************************************************************************************************
> www.iCrazySQL.com
> - Free, full featured database development tool for ASE, SQL Server and
> SQL Anywhere
>
> ******************************************************************************************************