Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Dblocate

9 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-04-10 14:45:44.0Z
Herman Miller Posted on 2009-02-20 00:49:57.0Z
Sender: 7f68.499dfdd4.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman Miller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Dblocate
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <499dfe35.7f70.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 19 Feb 2009 16:49:57 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235090997 10.22.241.41 (19 Feb 2009 16:49:57 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Feb 2009 16:49:57 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 7
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7367
Article PK: 5779

Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534

We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate I
only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show with
dblocate?

Thanks


"Chris Keating [Sybase iAnywhere]" <keating_no Posted on 2009-02-20 03:13:51.0Z
From: "Chris Keating [Sybase iAnywhere]" <keating_no@spam_sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
References: <499dfe35.7f70.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <499dfe35.7f70.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <499e1fef$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 19 Feb 2009 19:13:51 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235099631 10.22.241.152 (19 Feb 2009 19:13:51 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Feb 2009 19:13:51 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 13
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7368
Article PK: 5783

The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server Anywhere database
servers running over TCP/IP on the *immediate* network. Are the 4
unlisted servers in the immediate network?

Herman Miller wrote:
> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>
> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate I
> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show with
> dblocate?
>
> Thanks


Herman Miller Posted on 2009-02-20 11:10:22.0Z
Sender: 7f68.499dfdd4.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman Miller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <499e8f9e.9f4.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <499e1fef$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 20 Feb 2009 03:10:22 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235128222 10.22.241.41 (20 Feb 2009 03:10:22 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Feb 2009 03:10:22 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 22
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7369
Article PK: 5784

What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more strange is
that using sybase central from a computer where the database
servers are not running, I can connect to some database
servers but not others. The database servers I can't connect
to are running on the same physcal machine as the ones I can
connect to.

> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server Anywhere
> database servers running over TCP/IP on the *immediate*
> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the immediate
> network?
>
>
> Herman Miller wrote:
> > Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
> >
> > We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate I
> > only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
> > with dblocate?
> >
> > Thanks


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-02-20 13:32:56.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
References: <499e1fef$1@forums-1-dub> <499e8f9e.9f4.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <499e8f9e.9f4.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 20 Feb 2009 05:32:56 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235136776 10.22.241.152 (20 Feb 2009 05:32:56 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Feb 2009 05:32:56 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 46
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7370
Article PK: 5786

Are these machines running Windows? We have seen broadcasting issues on
Windows -- if multiple servers are running on the same machine, some of
the servers may not receive broadcasts that they should receive. The
problem is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length about
it, but have never been able to reproduce it reliably enough for them to
fix it.

To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases on a single
server. This is a good idea in general, since that single server will
actually make better use of machine resources than two separate servers
running on the same machine.

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

Herman Miller wrote:
> What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more strange is
> that using sybase central from a computer where the database
> servers are not running, I can connect to some database
> servers but not others. The database servers I can't connect
> to are running on the same physcal machine as the ones I can
> connect to.
>
>
>> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server Anywhere
>> database servers running over TCP/IP on the *immediate*
>> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the immediate
>> network?
>>
>>
>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>>>
>>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate I
>>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
>>> with dblocate?
>>>
>>> Thanks


Herman Miller Posted on 2009-02-20 14:07:46.0Z
Sender: 7f68.499dfdd4.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Herman Miller
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:07:46 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235138866 10.22.241.41 (20 Feb 2009 06:07:46 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Feb 2009 06:07:46 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 54
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7371
Article PK: 5787

Can you send me an example of commandline to do this? Each
database that I start must be able to be assigned a seperate
alias for example -n devsystem1 -n devsystem2.

> Are these machines running Windows? We have seen
> broadcasting issues on Windows -- if multiple servers are
> running on the same machine, some of the servers may not
> receive broadcasts that they should receive. The problem
> is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length
> about it, but have never been able to reproduce it
> reliably enough for them to fix it.
>
> To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases
> on a single server. This is a good idea in general, since
> that single server will actually make better use of
> machine resources than two separate servers running on
> the same machine.
>
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>
>
> Herman Miller wrote:
> > What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more
> > strange is that using sybase central from a computer
> > where the database servers are not running, I can
> > connect to some database servers but not others. The
> > database servers I can't connect to are running on the
> > same physcal machine as the ones I can connect to.
> >
> >
> >> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server
> Anywhere >> database servers running over TCP/IP on the
> *immediate* >> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the
> immediate >> network?
> >>
> >>
> >> Herman Miller wrote:
> >>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
> >>>
> >>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate
> I >>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
> >>> with dblocate?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-02-20 14:56:14.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.19 (Windows/20081209)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
References: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub> <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 20 Feb 2009 06:56:14 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1235141774 10.22.241.152 (20 Feb 2009 06:56:14 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Feb 2009 06:56:14 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 76
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7372
Article PK: 5788

dbsrv10 -n servername C:\Path\to\dbfile1.db -n dbname1
C:\Path\to\dbfile2.db -n dbname2 ...

This will start a server called "servername" running two databases
called dbname1 and dbname2. When connecting, use both the ENG and DBN
parameters to indicate which database you want to connect to:
ENG=servername;DBN=dbname1 will connect to the first one, while
ENG=servername;DBN=dbname2 will connect to the second. You can run up to
250 databases on one server.

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

Herman Miller wrote:
> Can you send me an example of commandline to do this? Each
> database that I start must be able to be assigned a seperate
> alias for example -n devsystem1 -n devsystem2.
>
>> Are these machines running Windows? We have seen
>> broadcasting issues on Windows -- if multiple servers are
>> running on the same machine, some of the servers may not
>> receive broadcasts that they should receive. The problem
>> is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length
>> about it, but have never been able to reproduce it
>> reliably enough for them to fix it.
>>
>> To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases
>> on a single server. This is a good idea in general, since
>> that single server will actually make better use of
>> machine resources than two separate servers running on
>> the same machine.
>>
>> Graeme Perrow
>> Senior Software Developer
>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>>
>>
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>
>>
>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>> What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more
>>> strange is that using sybase central from a computer
>>> where the database servers are not running, I can
>>> connect to some database servers but not others. The
>>> database servers I can't connect to are running on the
>>> same physcal machine as the ones I can connect to.
>>>
>>>
>>>> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server
>> Anywhere >> database servers running over TCP/IP on the
>> *immediate* >> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the
>> immediate >> network?
>>>>
>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>>>>>
>>>>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate
>> I >>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
>>>>> with dblocate?
>>>>>
>>>>> Thanks


<Ingmar> Posted on 2009-04-09 08:57:59.0Z
From: <Ingmar>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub> <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com> <499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Dblocate
Lines: 91
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49ddb897$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 01:57:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239267479 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 01:57:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 01:57:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7494
Article PK: 5909

hello

If I connect via ODBC with DSN... do I have to use servername and
databasename as well... to indicate which database i wanna use?
What would happen if i use only the servername with multiple database?
(if both database have nearly the same structure (e.g.table-name))

Ingmar

"Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]"
<ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> schrieb im
Newsbeitrag news:499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub...

>
> dbsrv10 -n servername C:\Path\to\dbfile1.db -n dbname1
> C:\Path\to\dbfile2.db -n dbname2 ...
>
> This will start a server called "servername" running two databases called
> dbname1 and dbname2. When connecting, use both the ENG and DBN parameters
> to indicate which database you want to connect to:
> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname1 will connect to the first one, while
> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname2 will connect to the second. You can run up to
> 250 databases on one server.
>
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>
>
> Herman Miller wrote:
>> Can you send me an example of commandline to do this? Each
>> database that I start must be able to be assigned a seperate
>> alias for example -n devsystem1 -n devsystem2.
>>
>>> Are these machines running Windows? We have seen
>>> broadcasting issues on Windows -- if multiple servers are
>>> running on the same machine, some of the servers may not
>>> receive broadcasts that they should receive. The problem
>>> is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length
>>> about it, but have never been able to reproduce it
>>> reliably enough for them to fix it.
>>>
>>> To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases
>>> on a single server. This is a good idea in general, since
>>> that single server will actually make better use of
>>> machine resources than two separate servers running on
>>> the same machine.
>>>
>>> Graeme Perrow
>>> Senior Software Developer
>>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>>
>>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>>>
>>>
>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>>
>>>
>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>> What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more
>>>> strange is that using sybase central from a computer
>>>> where the database servers are not running, I can
>>>> connect to some database servers but not others. The
>>>> database servers I can't connect to are running on the
>>>> same physcal machine as the ones I can connect to.
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server
>>> Anywhere >> database servers running over TCP/IP on the
>>> *immediate* >> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the
>>> immediate >> network?
>>>>>
>>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>>>>>>
>>>>>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate
>>> I >>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
>>>>>> with dblocate?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Thanks
>


Stephen Rice [Sybase] Posted on 2009-04-09 12:41:56.0Z
From: "Stephen Rice [Sybase]" <stevedotriceatsybasedotcom>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub> <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com> <499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub> <49ddb897$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Dblocate
Lines: 113
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49dded14$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 05:41:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239280916 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 05:41:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 05:41:56 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7495
Article PK: 5908

Yes all connections need to have a server name and database name. There is
a somewhat complex set of defaulting that goes on if you do not explicitly
set these and this often results in you connecting to something you didn't
mean to connect to.

I always advise explicitly specifying all connection parameters to avoid
accidents

--
/steve
Stephen Rice, Sybase iAnywhere
Please reply only to the newsgroup

iAnywhere Developer Community : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
iAnywhere Docs : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
ASA Patches and EBFs : http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/base.do
-> Choose SQL Anywhere Studio
-> Set filter to "Display ALL platforms IN ALL MONTHS"

<Ingmar> wrote in message news:49ddb897$1@forums-1-dub...
> hello
>
> If I connect via ODBC with DSN... do I have to use servername and
> databasename as well... to indicate which database i wanna use?
> What would happen if i use only the servername with multiple database?
> (if both database have nearly the same structure (e.g.table-name))
>
> Ingmar
>
> "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]"
> <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> schrieb im
> Newsbeitrag news:499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub...
>>
>> dbsrv10 -n servername C:\Path\to\dbfile1.db -n dbname1
>> C:\Path\to\dbfile2.db -n dbname2 ...
>>
>> This will start a server called "servername" running two databases called
>> dbname1 and dbname2. When connecting, use both the ENG and DBN parameters
>> to indicate which database you want to connect to:
>> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname1 will connect to the first one, while
>> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname2 will connect to the second. You can run up to
>> 250 databases on one server.
>>
>> Graeme Perrow
>> Senior Software Developer
>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>
>>
>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>> Can you send me an example of commandline to do this? Each
>>> database that I start must be able to be assigned a seperate
>>> alias for example -n devsystem1 -n devsystem2.
>>>
>>>> Are these machines running Windows? We have seen
>>>> broadcasting issues on Windows -- if multiple servers are
>>>> running on the same machine, some of the servers may not
>>>> receive broadcasts that they should receive. The problem
>>>> is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length
>>>> about it, but have never been able to reproduce it
>>>> reliably enough for them to fix it.
>>>>
>>>> To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases
>>>> on a single server. This is a good idea in general, since
>>>> that single server will actually make better use of
>>>> machine resources than two separate servers running on
>>>> the same machine.
>>>>
>>>> Graeme Perrow
>>>> Senior Software Developer
>>>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>>>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>>>
>>>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>>>>
>>>>
>>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>>>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>>>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>> What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more
>>>>> strange is that using sybase central from a computer
>>>>> where the database servers are not running, I can
>>>>> connect to some database servers but not others. The
>>>>> database servers I can't connect to are running on the
>>>>> same physcal machine as the ones I can connect to.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server
>>>> Anywhere >> database servers running over TCP/IP on the
>>>> *immediate* >> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the
>>>> immediate >> network?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>>>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate
>>>> I >>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
>>>>>>> with dblocate?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks
>>
>
>


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-04-10 14:45:44.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Dblocate
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <8bmut45uhjtfqpr5thqcnjcb8q2fv512ml@4ax.com>
References: <499eb108$1@forums-1-dub> <499eb932.dfb.1681692777@sybase.com> <499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub> <49ddb897$1@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 10 Apr 2009 07:45:44 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239374744 10.22.241.152 (10 Apr 2009 07:45:44 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Apr 2009 07:45:44 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 122
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7506
Article PK: 5918

I agree 100% with what Stephen said...

>I always advise explicitly specifying all connection parameters to avoid accidents

In addition to the server name and database name, if the connection is
made across the network via TCPIP in a complex network environment, I
also recommend explicitly specifying the host (server) IP address or
host name, plus an option to force ONLY that host address to be used;
i.e., if the host address/name cannot be found, give an error rather
than hunt around on the network.

For example, on the ODBC Adminstrator Network tab, next to the TCP/IP
checkbox:

host=192.168.1.51;dobroad=none

or

host=tsunami;dobroad=none

Breck

On 9 Apr 2009 01:57:59 -0700, <Ingmar> wrote:

>hello
>
>If I connect via ODBC with DSN... do I have to use servername and
>databasename as well... to indicate which database i wanna use?
>What would happen if i use only the servername with multiple database?
>(if both database have nearly the same structure (e.g.table-name))
>
>Ingmar
>
>"Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]"
><ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom> schrieb im
>Newsbeitrag news:499ec48e$1@forums-1-dub...
>>
>> dbsrv10 -n servername C:\Path\to\dbfile1.db -n dbname1
>> C:\Path\to\dbfile2.db -n dbname2 ...
>>
>> This will start a server called "servername" running two databases called
>> dbname1 and dbname2. When connecting, use both the ENG and DBN parameters
>> to indicate which database you want to connect to:
>> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname1 will connect to the first one, while
>> ENG=servername;DBN=dbname2 will connect to the second. You can run up to
>> 250 databases on one server.
>>
>> Graeme Perrow
>> Senior Software Developer
>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>
>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>
>>
>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>> Can you send me an example of commandline to do this? Each
>>> database that I start must be able to be assigned a seperate
>>> alias for example -n devsystem1 -n devsystem2.
>>>
>>>> Are these machines running Windows? We have seen
>>>> broadcasting issues on Windows -- if multiple servers are
>>>> running on the same machine, some of the servers may not
>>>> receive broadcasts that they should receive. The problem
>>>> is sporadic, and we have talked with Microsoft at length
>>>> about it, but have never been able to reproduce it
>>>> reliably enough for them to fix it.
>>>>
>>>> To get around this problem, you can run multiple databases
>>>> on a single server. This is a good idea in general, since
>>>> that single server will actually make better use of
>>>> machine resources than two separate servers running on
>>>> the same machine.
>>>>
>>>> Graeme Perrow
>>>> Senior Software Developer
>>>> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
>>>> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>>>>
>>>> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>>>>
>>>>
>>> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>>>> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
>>>> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>> What do you mean "immediate network"? What's more
>>>>> strange is that using sybase central from a computer
>>>>> where the database servers are not running, I can
>>>>> connect to some database servers but not others. The
>>>>> database servers I can't connect to are running on the
>>>>> same physcal machine as the ones I can connect to.
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>> The dblocate utility locates any Adaptive Server
>>>> Anywhere >> database servers running over TCP/IP on the
>>>> *immediate* >> network. Are the 4 unlisted servers in the
>>>> immediate >> network?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Herman Miller wrote:
>>>>>>> Sybase ASA 9.0.2.3534
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> We have 16 ASA DB Servers running. When I run dblocate
>>>> I >>> only see 12, is there a reason why all wouldn't show
>>>>>>> with dblocate?
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Thanks
>>
>

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com