Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-04-10 16:50:59.0Z
Bill Williams Posted on 2009-04-09 14:49:59.0Z
From: "Bill Williams" <billwilliams@qcsoftware.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?
Lines: 7
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 07:49:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239288599 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 07:49:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 07:49:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7496
Article PK: 5910

I am looking for a programmer's reference for the iAnywhere JDBC driver.
Specifically, I am looking for information regarding the various classes
that are in the driver.

Thanks


Josh Savill [Sybase] Posted on 2009-04-09 14:51:43.0Z
From: "Josh Savill [Sybase]" <no_spam_jsavill_no_spam@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?
References: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49de0b7f$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 07:51:43 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239288703 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 07:51:43 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 07:51:43 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 16
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7497
Article PK: 5911

Yes:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.php#http%3A%2F%2Fdcx.sybase.com%2F1101en%2Fdbprogramming_en11%2Fpg-jdbc.html

--
Joshua Savill
Sybase Inc. - Product Manager

Bill Williams wrote:
> I am looking for a programmer's reference for the iAnywhere JDBC driver.
> Specifically, I am looking for information regarding the various classes
> that are in the driver.
>
> Thanks
>
>


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-04-09 15:10:28.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?
References: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49de0fe4@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 08:10:28 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239289828 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 08:10:28 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 08:10:28 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 30
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7499
Article PK: 5912

Bill,

We implement the standard objects in java.sql as it applies to our driver.

See: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/package-summary.html

To you the programmer, implementation details underneath the covers are
abstracted away by the interfaces.

Any differences in standard behaviour from the API are noted in Josh's
link. And as Karim has noted in the other thread, there are some
features that are not supported (e.g. Statement.addBatch()), or aren't
supported until later EBFs (e.g. Connection.getMetaData()).

Bill Williams wrote:
> I am looking for a programmer's reference for the iAnywhere JDBC driver.
> Specifically, I am looking for information regarding the various classes
> that are in the driver.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Karim Khamis [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-04-09 16:00:59.0Z
From: "Karim Khamis [Sybase iAnywhere]" <kkhamis@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?
References: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub> <49de0fe4@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <49de0fe4@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49de1bbb$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Apr 2009 09:00:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239292859 10.22.241.152 (9 Apr 2009 09:00:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Apr 2009 09:00:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 37
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7500
Article PK: 5917

Actually, Connection.getMetaData() is a required feature and has always
been supported in the iAnywhere JDBC driver. I believe Jeff is probably
referring to optional features in the JDBC spec, one of which is
PreparedStatement.addBatch() which was not originally supported in the
iAnywhere JDBC driver but was supported in later EBFs. Another example
would be ResultSet.getBlob() and ResultSet.setBlob() which is also an
optional feature according to the JDBC spec and which was not originally
supported but was supported in later EBFs.

In general, all required features in the JDBC 3.0 spec are supported
within the iAnywhere JDBC driver, but optional features are for the most
part not supported with the exception of very useful optional features
such as batch support and Blob support.

Karim

Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] wrote:
> Bill,
>
> We implement the standard objects in java.sql as it applies to our driver.
>
> See: http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/java/sql/package-summary.html
>
> To you the programmer, implementation details underneath the covers are
> abstracted away by the interfaces.
>
> Any differences in standard behaviour from the API are noted in Josh's
> link. And as Karim has noted in the other thread, there are some
> features that are not supported (e.g. Statement.addBatch()), or aren't
> supported until later EBFs (e.g. Connection.getMetaData()).
>
> Bill Williams wrote:
>> I am looking for a programmer's reference for the iAnywhere JDBC
>> driver. Specifically, I am looking for information regarding the
>> various classes that are in the driver.
>
> Regards,
>


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-04-10 16:50:59.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 (Windows/20090302)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Is there documentation available for the iAnywhere JDBC driver?
References: <49de0b17$1@forums-1-dub> <49de0fe4@forums-1-dub> <49de1bbb$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <49de1bbb$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <49df78f3@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Apr 2009 09:50:59 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1239382259 10.22.241.152 (10 Apr 2009 09:50:59 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Apr 2009 09:50:59 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 37
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7509
Article PK: 5922

Actually, I was thinking about another method we had implemented in a
later EBF - I got the wrong object / method though when I had posted.

DatabaseMetaData.getUDTs() was added in CR #534307. (See:
http://search.sybase.com/kbx/changerequests?bug_id=534307 )

---

What Karim says regarding the general support in the driver though is
still absolutely correct. :)

Cheers,

Karim Khamis [Sybase iAnywhere] wrote:
> Actually, Connection.getMetaData() is a required feature and has always
> been supported in the iAnywhere JDBC driver. I believe Jeff is probably
> referring to optional features in the JDBC spec, one of which is
> PreparedStatement.addBatch() which was not originally supported in the
> iAnywhere JDBC driver but was supported in later EBFs. Another example
> would be ResultSet.getBlob() and ResultSet.setBlob() which is also an
> optional feature according to the JDBC spec and which was not originally
> supported but was supported in later EBFs.
>
> In general, all required features in the JDBC 3.0 spec are supported
> within the iAnywhere JDBC driver, but optional features are for the most
> part not supported with the exception of very useful optional features
> such as batch support and Blob support.

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/