Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-07-06 15:42:41.0Z
Shao Chan Posted on 2009-06-30 14:57:24.0Z
Reply-To: "Shao Chan" <noreply@noreply.com>
From: "Shao Chan" <noreply@noreply.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
Lines: 11
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 30 Jun 2009 07:57:24 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246373844 10.22.241.152 (30 Jun 2009 07:57:24 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Jun 2009 07:57:24 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1410
Article PK: 9409

Hi all,

Can the compression=zdlib parameter be used in the M-Biz client?

If so, where do I set it?

Thanks.

Shao


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-07-02 18:37:11.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 (Windows/20090605)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
References: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2009 11:37:11 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246559831 10.22.241.152 (2 Jul 2009 11:37:11 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Jul 2009 11:37:11 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 25
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1411
Article PK: 17974

Shao,

Yes, yhis is a network protocol option, so it should be set alongside
the rest of your network protocol options (e.g. host=, port=).

I also notice that you were missing the .dll on the deployment initially
from another thread. Hopefully with this in place, the protocol option
should work.

Regards,

Shao Chan wrote:
> Can the compression=zdlib parameter be used in the M-Biz client?
>
> If so, where do I set it?

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Shao Chan Posted on 2009-07-03 15:10:56.0Z
From: "Shao Chan" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
Lines: 49
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a4e1f80$2@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2009 08:10:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246633856 10.22.241.152 (3 Jul 2009 08:10:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Jul 2009 08:10:56 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1412
Article PK: 9412

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

Yes, I realised that we had not deployed a dll.

My current understanding of the compression functionality is that the whole
HTTP packet that you are sending is compressed to a fraction of its size.
How large that fraction is I don't know.

Once compressed, I assume that the size of the whole transmission is closer
to being on par with TCP?

What kind of improvements should we realistically be expecting?

Cheers,

Shao

"Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com...
> Shao,
>
> Yes, yhis is a network protocol option, so it should be set alongside the
> rest of your network protocol options (e.g. host=, port=).
>
> I also notice that you were missing the .dll on the deployment initially
> from another thread. Hopefully with this in place, the protocol option
> should work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shao Chan wrote:
>> Can the compression=zdlib parameter be used in the M-Biz client?
>>
>> If so, where do I set it?
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-07-03 19:24:21.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 (Windows/20090605)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
References: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4e1f80$2@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4a4e1f80$2@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a4e5ae5$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 3 Jul 2009 12:24:21 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246649061 10.22.241.152 (3 Jul 2009 12:24:21 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 3 Jul 2009 12:24:21 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 40
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1413
Article PK: 9413

Shao,

Shao Chan wrote:
> My current understanding of the compression functionality is that the whole
> HTTP packet that you are sending is compressed to a fraction of its size.
> How large that fraction is I don't know.

The data section of the HTTP packet will be compressed - headers will
not be able to be compressed (since that would defeat HTTP forwarding).

> Once compressed, I assume that the size of the whole transmission is closer
> to being on par with TCP?

TCP with compression, or without compression? :) Without compression,
you're probably a little closer, but I'd think that the HTTP headers
would probably still be a large overhead on the packet, even with the
compression in the data section.

> What kind of improvements should we realistically be expecting?

Unfortunately the accurate answer here is: "It depends." It depends
largely on the type of information you're transferring - much like the
problem of trying to compress already highly-compressed binary files.
(e.g. zipping an already zipped file doesn't gain any additional
compression). Plain text typically has a higher compressibility ratio
whereas binary files have a lower ratio. Testing should be done on a
known workload to try and see what kind of benefit will result with the
compression option.

Cheers,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Shao Chan Posted on 2009-07-06 15:42:41.0Z
Reply-To: "Shao Chan" <noreply@noreply.com>
From: "Shao Chan" <noreply@noreply.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4e1f80$2@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4e5ae5$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
Lines: 65
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a521b71@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 6 Jul 2009 08:42:41 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246894961 10.22.241.152 (6 Jul 2009 08:42:41 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Jul 2009 08:42:41 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1415
Article PK: 9411

Hi Jeff,

I've got compression working I think.

However, there is no indication in the logs that it is a compressed sync.

The sync times are exactly the same although in the Mobilink server log,
from Request From to Sync Complete, the time is shorter. The user
experience on the PDA is the same though.

What's the best method of measuring the difference when compression is
switched on?
Also, how can I be certain that the sync is a compressed sync - where can I
go to check?

cheers,

Shao

"Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4a4e5ae5$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com...
> Shao,
>
> Shao Chan wrote:
>> My current understanding of the compression functionality is that the
>> whole HTTP packet that you are sending is compressed to a fraction of its
>> size. How large that fraction is I don't know.
>
> The data section of the HTTP packet will be compressed - headers will not
> be able to be compressed (since that would defeat HTTP forwarding).
>
>> Once compressed, I assume that the size of the whole transmission is
>> closer to being on par with TCP?
>
> TCP with compression, or without compression? :) Without compression,
> you're probably a little closer, but I'd think that the HTTP headers would
> probably still be a large overhead on the packet, even with the
> compression in the data section.
>
>> What kind of improvements should we realistically be expecting?
>
> Unfortunately the accurate answer here is: "It depends." It depends
> largely on the type of information you're transferring - much like the
> problem of trying to compress already highly-compressed binary files.
> (e.g. zipping an already zipped file doesn't gain any additional
> compression). Plain text typically has a higher compressibility ratio
> whereas binary files have a lower ratio. Testing should be done on a known
> workload to try and see what kind of benefit will result with the
> compression option.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Shao Chan Posted on 2009-07-04 08:38:40.0Z
From: "Shao Chan" <NoSpam@NoSpam.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <4a4a27d4$1@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4cfe57$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4e1f80$2@forums-3-dub.sybase.com> <4a4e5ae5$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: compression= M-Biz 7.0 / Ultralite 11.0.1.2222
Lines: 56
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4a4f1510$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com>
Date: 4 Jul 2009 01:38:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-3-dub.sybase.com 1246696720 10.22.241.152 (4 Jul 2009 01:38:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 4 Jul 2009 01:38:40 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!forums-3-dub.sybase.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1414
Article PK: 17975

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for that. We'll do some tests next week and see how it goes.

I'll be very happy if I can get the sync times down close to TCP without
compression. :)

Cheers,

Shao

"Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4a4e5ae5$3@forums-3-dub.sybase.com...
> Shao,
>
> Shao Chan wrote:
>> My current understanding of the compression functionality is that the
>> whole HTTP packet that you are sending is compressed to a fraction of its
>> size. How large that fraction is I don't know.
>
> The data section of the HTTP packet will be compressed - headers will not
> be able to be compressed (since that would defeat HTTP forwarding).
>
>> Once compressed, I assume that the size of the whole transmission is
>> closer to being on par with TCP?
>
> TCP with compression, or without compression? :) Without compression,
> you're probably a little closer, but I'd think that the HTTP headers would
> probably still be a large overhead on the packet, even with the
> compression in the data section.
>
>> What kind of improvements should we realistically be expecting?
>
> Unfortunately the accurate answer here is: "It depends." It depends
> largely on the type of information you're transferring - much like the
> problem of trying to compress already highly-compressed binary files.
> (e.g. zipping an already zipped file doesn't gain any additional
> compression). Plain text typically has a higher compressibility ratio
> whereas binary files have a lower ratio. Testing should be done on a known
> workload to try and see what kind of benefit will result with the
> compression option.
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/