Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Workspace 2.1.2

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-09-30 04:24:43.0Z
Pieter Coene Posted on 2009-09-09 06:40:09.0Z
Sender: 2803.4aa74d8e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter Coene
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Workspace 2.1.2
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aa74dc9.280e.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 8 Sep 2009 23:40:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1252478409 10.22.241.41 (8 Sep 2009 23:40:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Sep 2009 23:40:09 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 23
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:884
Article PK: 1088551

Hi,

i just noticed there was a new release. I immediately tested
some of the things i posted earlier. (the ones i remember
cause searching in this post, well, ... ;) ) The following
things i must remark:

1. Connection commit mode: 'Manual'. Ok, now rollback works,
but i notice that the @@trancount is always at least 1. Now
i can't run a sp_help <table> command any more (SELECT INTO
command not allowed within multi-statement transaction).

How can i solve this?

2. My simple select still wraps up wrong...
SQL statement: select 1, 10
Result:

- --
1 10

Greetz
Pieter


Pieter Coene Posted on 2009-09-09 06:47:10.0Z
Sender: 2803.4aa74d8e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter Coene
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: Workspace 2.1.2
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aa74f6e.2849.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4aa74dc9.280e.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 8 Sep 2009 23:47:10 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1252478830 10.22.241.41 (8 Sep 2009 23:47:10 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Sep 2009 23:47:10 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 28
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:885
Article PK: 1088550

I forgot to mention: when switching the connection commit
mode, i have to quit workspace to take affect (disconnect
and reconnect doesn't even work)

> Hi,
>
> i just noticed there was a new release. I immediately
> tested some of the things i posted earlier. (the ones i
> remember cause searching in this post, well, ... ;) ) The
> following things i must remark:
>
> 1. Connection commit mode: 'Manual'. Ok, now rollback
> works, but i notice that the @@trancount is always at
> least 1. Now i can't run a sp_help <table> command any
> more (SELECT INTO command not allowed within
> multi-statement transaction).
>
> How can i solve this?
>
> 2. My simple select still wraps up wrong...
> SQL statement: select 1, 10
> Result:
>
> - --
> 1 10
>
> Greetz
> Pieter


Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase] Posted on 2009-09-15 07:19:26.0Z
From: "Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase]" <lihuang@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: Workspace 2.1.2
References: <4aa74dc9.280e.1681692777@sybase.com> <4aa74f6e.2849.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4aa74f6e.2849.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4aaf3ffe@forums-1-dub>
Date: 15 Sep 2009 00:19:26 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1252999166 10.22.241.152 (15 Sep 2009 00:19:26 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2009 00:19:26 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 70
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:890
Article PK: 1088553

Hi, Pieter:

1. Connection commit mode issue:
When setting connection commit mode to 'Manual', WorkSpace considers all
executions in scrapbook or SQL Editor are in one transaction.
Thus, commit and rollback only work for DML but not DDL.
Some helpful info can be found at
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1250e/svrtsg/@Generic__BookTextView/34899
Workaround: 1)set commit mode to 'Auto' and open a scrapbook 2)set
commit mode to 'manual' and open a scrapbook 3) all DDL(such as sp_help)
can be executed in first scrapbook 4)other DML can be executed in second
scrapbook
After switching connection commit mode, just close and reopen the
scrapbook or sql editor, the option may work


2. Issue 2 (My simple select still wraps up wrong) will be fixed in the
next release(WorkSpace 3.0). CR number is 574842.

3. Issue 3(switch connection commit mode)
You just need to close the current SQL Scrapbook and open a new SQL
Scrapbook to switch commit mode.

Pieter Coene wrote:
> I forgot to mention: when switching the connection commit
> mode, i have to quit workspace to take affect (disconnect
> and reconnect doesn't even work)
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i just noticed there was a new release. I immediately
>> tested some of the things i posted earlier. (the ones i
>> remember cause searching in this post, well, ... ;) ) The
>> following things i must remark:
>>
>> 1. Connection commit mode: 'Manual'. Ok, now rollback
>> works, but i notice that the @@trancount is always at
>> least 1. Now i can't run a sp_help <table> command any
>> more (SELECT INTO command not allowed within
>> multi-statement transaction).
>>
>> How can i solve this?
>>
>> 2. My simple select still wraps up wrong...
>> SQL statement: select 1, 10
>> Result:
>>
>> - --
>> 1 10
>>
>> Greetz
>> Pieter

--
Thanks and regards,

Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase]
WorkSpace Database Development Tooling Dev Manager

Sybase
Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
Room 1202-1203, Building One,
Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
3000 Longdong Avenue
Pudong, Shanghai 201203
Tel 8621-38657420
Email: lihuang@sybase.com


Pieter Coene Posted on 2009-09-15 09:24:19.0Z
Sender: 2c85.4aae2cde.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Pieter Coene
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
Subject: Re: Workspace 2.1.2
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aaf5d43.54c7.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4aaf3ffe@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Sep 2009 02:24:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253006659 10.22.241.41 (15 Sep 2009 02:24:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2009 02:24:19 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 96
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:892
Article PK: 1088558

Hi,

thx for the response.

1. The workaround might seem useful, but much work. The
option-switch works wen closing and re-opening the file
again, but when workspace is started (every morning) all the
open files use the last chosen option. So we have to repeat
this action every morning :(. Maybe introducing a shortcut
or icon for switching this mode will spare us some great
time...

ps: Every stored procedure that uses a temp-table, can't be
run in the Manual-mode, so we hit this problem a lot.

2. Thx

3. This works indeed, much better than closing and
re-opening my whole workspace ;)

Greetz
Pieter

> Hi, Pieter:
>
> 1. Connection commit mode issue:
> When setting connection commit mode to 'Manual', WorkSpace
> considers all executions in scrapbook or SQL Editor are
> in one transaction. Thus, commit and rollback only work
> for DML but not DDL. Some helpful info can be found at
>
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-as/asg1250e/svrtsg/@Generic__BookTextView/34899
> Workaround: 1)set commit mode to 'Auto' and open a
> scrapbook 2)set commit mode to 'manual' and open a
> scrapbook 3) all DDL(such as sp_help) can be executed in
> first scrapbook 4)other DML can be executed in second
> scrapbook After switching connection commit mode, just
> close and reopen the scrapbook or sql editor, the option
> may work
>
>
> 2. Issue 2 (My simple select still wraps up wrong) will be
> fixed in the next release(WorkSpace 3.0). CR number is
> 574842.
>
> 3. Issue 3(switch connection commit mode)
> You just need to close the current SQL Scrapbook and open
> a new SQL Scrapbook to switch commit mode.
>
>
>
> Pieter Coene wrote:
> > I forgot to mention: when switching the connection
> > commit mode, i have to quit workspace to take affect
> > (disconnect and reconnect doesn't even work)
> >
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> i just noticed there was a new release. I immediately
> >> tested some of the things i posted earlier. (the ones i
> >> remember cause searching in this post, well, ... ;) )
> The >> following things i must remark:
> >>
> >> 1. Connection commit mode: 'Manual'. Ok, now rollback
> >> works, but i notice that the @@trancount is always at
> >> least 1. Now i can't run a sp_help <table> command any
> >> more (SELECT INTO command not allowed within
> >> multi-statement transaction).
> >>
> >> How can i solve this?
> >>
> >> 2. My simple select still wraps up wrong...
> >> SQL statement: select 1, 10
> >> Result:
> >>
> >> - --
> >> 1 10
> >>
> >> Greetz
> >> Pieter
>
>
> --
> Thanks and regards,
>
> Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase]
> WorkSpace Database Development Tooling Dev Manager
>
> Sybase
> Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
> Room 1202-1203, Building One,
> Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
> 3000 Longdong Avenue
> Pudong, Shanghai 201203
> Tel 8621-38657420
> Email: lihuang@sybase.com


john.dunford Posted on 2009-09-24 12:37:14.0Z
From: john.dunford@bnymellon.com
Subject: Re: Workspace 2.1.2
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
MIME-Version: 1.0
References: <4aaf3ffe@forums-1-dub> <4aaf5d43.54c7.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Lotus Notes Release 8.0.2 FP1 December 23, 2008
X-MIMETrack: Serialize by Notes Client on John Dunford/BRU/INTL/BNY(Release 8.0.2 FP1|December 23, 2008) at 24/09/2009 14:37:12, Serialize complete at 24/09/2009 14:37:12
Content-Type: multipart/alternative; boundary="=_alternative 00455331C125763B_="
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4abb67fa@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Sep 2009 05:37:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253795834 10.22.241.152 (24 Sep 2009 05:37:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Sep 2009 05:37:14 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 11
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:900
Article PK: 1088567


How do you switch commit mode?


Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase] Posted on 2009-09-30 04:24:43.0Z
Message-ID: <4AC2DD8A.1040307@sybase.com>
From: "Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase]" <lihuang@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.workspace.general
To: john.dunford@bnymellon.com
Subject: Re: Workspace 2.1.2
References: <4aaf3ffe@forums-1-dub> <4aaf5d43.54c7.1681692777@sybase.com> <4abb67fa@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4abb67fa@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 29 Sep 2009 21:24:43 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1254284683 10.22.241.152 (29 Sep 2009 21:24:43 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 29 Sep 2009 21:24:43 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 27
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.workspace.general:905
Article PK: 1088570

Hi, John:
In WorkSpace, choose Window->Preferences.
In preferences dialog, choose Sybase,Inc->Database Development->SQL
Editor->SQL Files/scrapbook.
User can select connection commit mode on the right side.
After mode set, the option works for newly opened SQL Editor/scrapbook.

john.dunford@bnymellon.com wrote:
>
> How do you switch commit mode?

--
Thanks and regards,

Daniel(Li) Huang [Sybase]
WorkSpace Database Development Tooling Dev Manager

Sybase
Sybase Software (China) Co., Ltd
Room 1202-1203, Building One,
Zhangjiang Semiconductor Industry Park
3000 Longdong Avenue
Pudong, Shanghai 201203
Tel 8621-38657420
Email: lihuang@sybase.com