Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-03-08 13:50:24.0Z
Robin Posted on 2009-09-22 06:33:56.0Z
From: "robin" <.@iol.it>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem
Lines: 12
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ab86fd4@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253601236 10.22.241.152 (21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7738
Article PK: 6777

ASA 10.0.1.3784

I'm trying to send mail trough SMTP using authentication but specifying the
argument "smtp_auth_password" xp_startsmtp returns 504 error (Command
parameter not implemented.).

What I'm doing worng?

Thanks and regards,
Robin


Breck Carter [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-09-22 11:07:20.0Z
From: "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem
Organization: RisingRoad Professional Services
Reply-To: NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com
Message-ID: <6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com>
References: <4ab86fd4@forums-1-dub>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.640
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 22 Sep 2009 04:07:20 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253617640 10.22.241.152 (22 Sep 2009 04:07:20 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 04:07:20 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 30
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7739
Article PK: 6778

Was the database itself created by version 10, or with an earlier
version?

If an earlier version, dbupgrad.exe might add the new version of
xp_startsmtp... but dbunload/dbinit/dbisql reload is highly
recommended to get *all* the benefits of V10.

Breck

On 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700, "robin" <.@iol.it> wrote:

>ASA 10.0.1.3784
>
>I'm trying to send mail trough SMTP using authentication but specifying the
>argument "smtp_auth_password" xp_startsmtp returns 504 error (Command
>parameter not implemented.).
>
>What I'm doing worng?
>
>Thanks and regards,
>Robin
>

--
Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/

RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
breck.carter@risingroad.com


Robin Posted on 2009-09-22 13:04:19.0Z
From: "robin" <.@iol.it>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
References: <4ab86fd4@forums-1-dub> <6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem
Lines: 52
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ab8cb53$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Sep 2009 06:04:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253624659 10.22.241.152 (22 Sep 2009 06:04:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 06:04:19 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7740
Article PK: 6779

Thank you Breck,
the DB has been unloaded from 9.0.2 then reloaded in a newly created v.10
DB.

In the functions xp_startsmtp and xp_real_startsmtp I can see both
smtp_auth_username and smtp_auth_password input parameters but the
xp_real_startsmtp does something I can't understand (returns integer
external name 'xp_startsmtp@dbextf;Unix:xp_startsmtp@libdbextf').

Please notice that I get the 504 error with smtp_auth_password argument;
passing smtp_auth_username does not produce errors.

Thanks and regards,
Robin



"Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com> ha scritto nel
messaggio news:6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com...

> Was the database itself created by version 10, or with an earlier
> version?
>
> If an earlier version, dbupgrad.exe might add the new version of
> xp_startsmtp... but dbunload/dbinit/dbisql reload is highly
> recommended to get *all* the benefits of V10.
>
> Breck
>
>
>
> On 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700, "robin" <.@iol.it> wrote:
>
>>ASA 10.0.1.3784
>>
>>I'm trying to send mail trough SMTP using authentication but specifying
>>the
>>argument "smtp_auth_password" xp_startsmtp returns 504 error (Command
>>parameter not implemented.).
>>
>>What I'm doing worng?
>>
>>Thanks and regards,
>>Robin
>>
>
> --
> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>
> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
> breck.carter@risingroad.com


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-09-22 14:31:48.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem
References: <4ab86fd4@forums-1-dub> <6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com> <4ab8cb53$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4ab8cb53$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ab8dfd4$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Sep 2009 07:31:48 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253629908 10.22.241.152 (22 Sep 2009 07:31:48 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 07:31:48 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 69
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7741
Article PK: 6781

SA only uses PLAIN authentication, so it's possible that the mail server
you're connecting to does not support that type of authentication.

If you don't supply both a username AND password, we do not attempt
authentication.

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

robin wrote:
> Thank you Breck,
> the DB has been unloaded from 9.0.2 then reloaded in a newly created v.10
> DB.
>
> In the functions xp_startsmtp and xp_real_startsmtp I can see both
> smtp_auth_username and smtp_auth_password input parameters but the
> xp_real_startsmtp does something I can't understand (returns integer
> external name 'xp_startsmtp@dbextf;Unix:xp_startsmtp@libdbextf').
>
> Please notice that I get the 504 error with smtp_auth_password argument;
> passing smtp_auth_username does not produce errors.
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Robin
>
>
>
> "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]" <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com> ha scritto nel
> messaggio news:6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com...
>> Was the database itself created by version 10, or with an earlier
>> version?
>>
>> If an earlier version, dbupgrad.exe might add the new version of
>> xp_startsmtp... but dbunload/dbinit/dbisql reload is highly
>> recommended to get *all* the benefits of V10.
>>
>> Breck
>>
>>
>>
>> On 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700, "robin" <.@iol.it> wrote:
>>
>>> ASA 10.0.1.3784
>>>
>>> I'm trying to send mail trough SMTP using authentication but specifying
>>> the
>>> argument "smtp_auth_password" xp_startsmtp returns 504 error (Command
>>> parameter not implemented.).
>>>
>>> What I'm doing worng?
>>>
>>> Thanks and regards,
>>> Robin
>>>
>> --
>> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
>>
>> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional Services
>> breck.carter@risingroad.com
>
>


sapan.babber Posted on 2010-03-08 13:50:24.0Z
Sender: 5666.4b94fd84.1804289383@sybase.com
From: sapan.babber@igt.in
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: xp_startsmtp - smtp_auth_password argument problem
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4b9500a0.56e9.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ab8dfd4$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 8 Mar 2010 05:50:24 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1268056224 10.22.241.41 (8 Mar 2010 05:50:24 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 8 Mar 2010 05:50:24 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 82
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7972
Article PK: 7000

We are getting the same problem and we are MS Exchange
server and that supports Basic/Plain Authentication.
We have used a third part tool Addemail to check the same
and its connecting through that but with SA 10 we are still
getting same retun code(504).



SA only uses PLAIN authentication, so it's possible that

> the mail server you're connecting to does not support
> that type of authentication.
>
> If you don't supply both a username AND password, we do
> not attempt authentication.
>
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>
>
> robin wrote:
> > Thank you Breck,
> > the DB has been unloaded from 9.0.2 then reloaded in a
> > newly created v.10 DB.
> >
> > In the functions xp_startsmtp and xp_real_startsmtp I
> > can see both smtp_auth_username and smtp_auth_password
> > input parameters but the xp_real_startsmtp does
> > something I can't understand (returns integer external
> > name 'xp_startsmtp@dbextf;Unix:xp_startsmtp@libdbextf').
> > Please notice that I get the 504 error with
> > smtp_auth_password argument; passing smtp_auth_username
> > does not produce errors.
> > Thanks and regards,
> > Robin
> >
> >
> >
> > "Breck Carter [TeamSybase]"
> > <NOSPAM__breck.carter@gmail.com> ha scritto nel
> messaggio
> news:6sbhb55hojllng2k7akq6hbqfme3ejqv6b@4ax.com... >> Was
> the database itself created by version 10, or with an
> earlier >> version?
> >>
> >> If an earlier version, dbupgrad.exe might add the new
> version of >> xp_startsmtp... but dbunload/dbinit/dbisql
> reload is highly >> recommended to get *all* the benefits
> of V10. >>
> >> Breck
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >> On 21 Sep 2009 23:33:56 -0700, "robin" <.@iol.it>
> wrote: >>
> >>> ASA 10.0.1.3784
> >>>
> >>> I'm trying to send mail trough SMTP using
> authentication but specifying >>> the
> >>> argument "smtp_auth_password" xp_startsmtp returns 504
> error (Command >>> parameter not implemented.).
> >>>
> >>> What I'm doing worng?
> >>>
> >>> Thanks and regards,
> >>> Robin
> >>>
> >> --
> >> Breck Carter http://sqlanywhere.blogspot.com/
> >>
> >> RisingRoad SQL Anywhere and MobiLink Professional
> Services >> breck.carter@risingroad.com
> >
> >