Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch

9 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-09-23 21:38:14.0Z
Schwam Posted on 2009-09-22 13:50:30.0Z
Sender: 4824.4ab8d2f3.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Schwam
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 22 Sep 2009 06:50:30 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253627430 10.22.241.41 (22 Sep 2009 06:50:30 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 06:50:30 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 9
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28342
Article PK: 77587

We're getting the error below when retrieving data to one of
our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or provide
some insight as to what it means?

'select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows;
resubmit query batch'

Thank-you,
Schwam


Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-09-22 14:38:47.0Z
From: "Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
Lines: 15
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ab8e177$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Sep 2009 07:38:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253630327 10.22.241.152 (22 Sep 2009 07:38:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 07:38:47 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28343
Article PK: 77585

Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this question to that
newsgroup.

<Schwam> wrote in message news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We're getting the error below when retrieving data to one of
> our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or provide
> some insight as to what it means?
>
> 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows;
> resubmit query batch'
>
> Thank-you,
> Schwam


Schwam Posted on 2009-09-22 22:55:43.0Z
Sender: 4824.4ab8d2f3.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Schwam
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ab955ef.6758.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ab8e177$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253660143 10.22.241.41 (22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28347
Article PK: 77590

I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be a
Sybase error...

'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:

502
18
Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
query batch.

Explanation:

Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
problem. Perform any
diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error to
your System
Administrator'.

> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
> question to that newsgroup.
>
> <Schwam> wrote in message
> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one of
> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or provide
> some insight as to what it means? >
> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
> > rows; resubmit query batch'
> >
> > Thank-you,
> > Schwam
>
>


J Posted on 2009-09-22 23:17:58.0Z
From: jtotally_bogus@sbcglobal.net (J)
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
Reply-To: J@bogusemailAddress.com
Message-ID: <4ab95b07.27937251@forums.sybase.com>
References: <4ab8e177$1@forums-1-dub> <4ab955ef.6758.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 22 Sep 2009 16:17:58 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253661478 10.22.241.152 (22 Sep 2009 16:17:58 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Sep 2009 16:17:58 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28348
Article PK: 77592

On 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, Schwam wrote:

Did you look at the dataserver's log to see if there was an error
there related to the query?

J

>I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be a
>Sybase error...
>
>'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
>
> 502
> 18
> Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
>query batch.
>
> Explanation:
>
> Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
>problem. Perform any
>diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error to
>your System
>Administrator'.
>
>
>
>> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
>> question to that newsgroup.
>>
>> <Schwam> wrote in message
>> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
>> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one of
>> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or provide
>> some insight as to what it means? >
>> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
>> > rows; resubmit query batch'
>> >
>> > Thank-you,
>> > Schwam
>>
>>


Schwam Posted on 2009-09-23 14:24:19.0Z
Sender: fa6.4aba1846.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Schwam
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ab95b07.27937251@forums.sybase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 23 Sep 2009 07:24:19 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253715859 10.22.241.41 (23 Sep 2009 07:24:19 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2009 07:24:19 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 60
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28350
Article PK: 77595

Thanks for the reply.

I ran the script through another query analyzer and the
first message that comes up is...“There is not enough
procedure cache to run this procedure, trigger, or SQL
batch. Retry later, or ask your SA to reconfigure SQL Server
with more procedure cache.” However, why does this work
if I make the date range larger, which includes the original
date range data? Does the smaller date range really require
more procedure cache than the larger date range? This makes
no sense. Anyone?

Thanks,
Schwam

> On 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, Schwam wrote:
>
> Did you look at the dataserver's log to see if there was
> an error there related to the query?
>
> J
>
> >I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be
> a >Sybase error...
> >
> >'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
> >
> > 502
> > 18
> > Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
> >query batch.
> >
> > Explanation:
> >
> > Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
> >problem. Perform any
> >diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error
> to >your System
> >Administrator'.
> >
> >
> >
> >> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
> >> question to that newsgroup.
> >>
> >> <Schwam> wrote in message
> >> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
> >> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one
> of >> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or
> provide >> some insight as to what it means? >
> >> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
> >> > rows; resubmit query batch'
> >> >
> >> > Thank-you,
> >> > Schwam
> >>
> >>
>


J Posted on 2009-09-23 15:39:00.0Z
From: jtotally_bogus@sbcglobal.net (J)
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
Reply-To: J@bogusemailAddress.com
Message-ID: <4aba404d.1963453@forums.sybase.com>
References: <4ab95b07.27937251@forums.sybase.com> <4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 23 Sep 2009 08:39:00 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253720340 10.22.241.152 (23 Sep 2009 08:39:00 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2009 08:39:00 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 71
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28351
Article PK: 77594

On 23 Sep 2009 07:24:19 -0700, Schwam wrote:

This can make sense if you look at the plans which are involved. The
plan might be very simple if it is decided that a table scan is
involved. With a small number of dates, indices might be used and
more complexity to the plan (merges/sorts etc). Hard to say without
details.

Jay

>Thanks for the reply.
>
>I ran the script through another query analyzer and the
>first message that comes up is...=93There is not enough
>procedure cache to run this procedure, trigger, or SQL
>batch. Retry later, or ask your SA to reconfigure SQL Server
>with more procedure cache.=94 However, why does this work
>if I make the date range larger, which includes the original
>date range data? Does the smaller date range really require
>more procedure cache than the larger date range? This makes
>no sense. Anyone?
>
>Thanks,
>Schwam
>
>
>
>> On 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, Schwam wrote:
>>
>> Did you look at the dataserver's log to see if there was
>> an error there related to the query?
>>
>> J
>>
>> >I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be
>> a >Sybase error...
>> >
>> >'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
>> >
>> > 502
>> > 18
>> > Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
>> >query batch.
>> >
>> > Explanation:
>> >
>> > Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
>> >problem. Perform any
>> >diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error
>> to >your System
>> >Administrator'.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> >> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
>> >> question to that newsgroup.
>> >>
>> >> <Schwam> wrote in message
>> >> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
>> >> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one
>> of >> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or
>> provide >> some insight as to what it means? >
>> >> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
>> >> > rows; resubmit query batch'
>> >> >
>> >> > Thank-you,
>> >> > Schwam
>> >>
>> >>
>>


Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-09-23 16:18:30.0Z
From: "Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4ab95b07.27937251@forums.sybase.com> <4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
Lines: 71
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4aba4a56@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Sep 2009 09:18:30 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253722710 10.22.241.152 (23 Sep 2009 09:18:30 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2009 09:18:30 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28352
Article PK: 77597

procedure cache is a very transient resource and is used for much more than
just procedure execution plans. if it is undersized, one minute it might be
big enough to work for you, the next minute it may not due to either a
different access path being chosen, or simply due to it being used for other
connections processing requirements. Bottom line is that you need to
increase it, and monitor it with: "exec sp_monitorconfig 'procedure cache'
" or MDA tables.

<Schwam> wrote in message news:4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com...
Thanks for the reply.

I ran the script through another query analyzer and the
first message that comes up is..."There is not enough
procedure cache to run this procedure, trigger, or SQL
batch. Retry later, or ask your SA to reconfigure SQL Server
with more procedure cache." However, why does this work
if I make the date range larger, which includes the original
date range data? Does the smaller date range really require
more procedure cache than the larger date range? This makes
no sense. Anyone?

Thanks,
Schwam

> On 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, Schwam wrote:
>
> Did you look at the dataserver's log to see if there was
> an error there related to the query?
>
> J
>
> >I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be
> a >Sybase error...
> >
> >'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
> >
> > 502
> > 18
> > Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
> >query batch.
> >
> > Explanation:
> >
> > Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
> >problem. Perform any
> >diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error
> to >your System
> >Administrator'.
> >
> >
> >
> >> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
> >> question to that newsgroup.
> >>
> >> <Schwam> wrote in message
> >> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
> >> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one
> of >> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or
> provide >> some insight as to what it means? >
> >> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
> >> > rows; resubmit query batch'
> >> >
> >> > Thank-you,
> >> > Schwam
> >>
> >>
>


Jeff Tallman [Sybase] Posted on 2009-09-23 21:38:14.0Z
From: "Jeff Tallman [Sybase]" <jeff.tallman@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
References: <4ab95b07.27937251@forums.sybase.com> <4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com> <4aba4a56@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4aba4a56@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4aba9546$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Sep 2009 14:38:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253741894 10.22.241.152 (23 Sep 2009 14:38:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2009 14:38:14 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 80
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28354
Article PK: 77598

...along with that, depending on what all is evaluated based on the
plans you *might* have too many index histogram steps.... Do you know
what indexes are on the tables for the query and do you know how many
index steps were requested???/

Jeff Tallman
Enterprise Data Management Products Technical Evangelism
jeff.tallman@sybase.com
http://blogs.sybase.com/database

Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] wrote:
> procedure cache is a very transient resource and is used for much more than
> just procedure execution plans. if it is undersized, one minute it might be
> big enough to work for you, the next minute it may not due to either a
> different access path being chosen, or simply due to it being used for other
> connections processing requirements. Bottom line is that you need to
> increase it, and monitor it with: "exec sp_monitorconfig 'procedure cache'
> " or MDA tables.
>
> <Schwam> wrote in message news:4aba2f93.1469.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I ran the script through another query analyzer and the
> first message that comes up is..."There is not enough
> procedure cache to run this procedure, trigger, or SQL
> batch. Retry later, or ask your SA to reconfigure SQL Server
> with more procedure cache." However, why does this work
> if I make the date range larger, which includes the original
> date range data? Does the smaller date range really require
> more procedure cache than the larger date range? This makes
> no sense. Anyone?
>
> Thanks,
> Schwam
>
>
>
>> On 22 Sep 2009 15:55:43 -0700, Schwam wrote:
>>
>> Did you look at the dataserver's log to see if there was
>> an error there related to the query?
>>
>> J
>>
>>> I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be
>> a >Sybase error...
>>> 'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
>>>
>>> 502
>>> 18
>>> Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
>>> query batch.
>>>
>>> Explanation:
>>>
>>> Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
>>> problem. Perform any
>>> diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error
>> to >your System
>>> Administrator'.
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
>>>> question to that newsgroup.
>>>>
>>>> <Schwam> wrote in message
>>>>> news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
>>>>> getting the error below when retrieving data to one
>> of >> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or
>> provide >> some insight as to what it means? >
>>>>> 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
>>>>> rows; resubmit query batch'
>>>>>
>>>>> Thank-you,
>>>>> Schwam
>>>>
>
>


Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-09-23 16:19:34.0Z
From: "Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4ab8e177$1@forums-1-dub> <4ab955ef.6758.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: select error: Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit query batch
Lines: 41
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4aba4a96$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1253722774 10.22.241.152 (23 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2009 09:19:34 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28353
Article PK: 77596

Sorry about that. I didn't recognize the error and I didn't mean to send
you on a chase.

<Schwam> wrote in message news:4ab955ef.6758.1681692777@sybase.com...
>I posted in the PB newsgroup and the error appears to be a
> Sybase error...
>
> 'Well, according the the Sybase ASE manual:
>
> 502
> 18
> Internal error encountered in merging rows; resubmit
> query batch.
>
> Explanation:
>
> Command failed due to internal Adaptive Server
> problem. Perform any
> diagnostic action indicated by message. Report the error to
> your System
> Administrator'.
>
>
>
>> Looks like a PB error. You might want to post this
>> question to that newsgroup.
>>
>> <Schwam> wrote in message
>> > news:4ab8d626.48e5.1681692777@sybase.com... We're
>> > getting the error below when retrieving data to one of
>> > our PB5 datawindows. Can anyone explain this or provide
>> some insight as to what it means? >
>> > 'select error: Internal error encountered in merging
>> > rows; resubmit query batch'
>> >
>> > Thank-you,
>> > Schwam
>>
>>