Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Questions related to MDA tables.

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-10-20 01:40:13.0Z
Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2009-10-16 19:01:44.0Z
Sender: 3153.4ad8bafa.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Questions related to MDA tables.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ad8c318.32aa.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 16 Oct 2009 12:01:44 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255719704 10.22.241.41 (16 Oct 2009 12:01:44 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Oct 2009 12:01:44 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 26
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28490
Article PK: 77731

Greetings,

I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide -
Monitoring section, trying to clarify something regarding
MDA tables.

A query of the system catalog shows that some of these
"%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and others are
type "P", stored procedures.

I know about the loopback entry in sysservers, necessary for
the install, and having to enable CIS and the fact that some
of these tables are proxy tables acording to their creation
DDL.

Is this the case with all of them? This might sound like a
dumb question but the materials I read did not specify
clearly and a sharp student pointed out they are all proxy
tables.

Can someone shed more light or point me to the right manual
page.

Many thanks.

Jean-PIerre


Bret Halford [Sybase] Posted on 2009-10-16 19:22:39.0Z
From: "Bret Halford [Sybase]" <bret@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Questions related to MDA tables.
References: <4ad8c318.32aa.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4ad8c318.32aa.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ad8c7ff$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Oct 2009 12:22:39 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255720959 10.22.241.152 (16 Oct 2009 12:22:39 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Oct 2009 12:22:39 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 44
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28491
Article PK: 77733


Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide -
> Monitoring section, trying to clarify something regarding
> MDA tables.
>
> A query of the system catalog shows that some of these
> "%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and others are
> type "P", stored procedures.
>
> I know about the loopback entry in sysservers, necessary for
> the install, and having to enable CIS and the fact that some
> of these tables are proxy tables acording to their creation
> DDL.
>
> Is this the case with all of them? This might sound like a
> dumb question but the materials I read did not specify
> clearly and a sharp student pointed out they are all proxy
> tables.
>
> Can someone shed more light or point me to the right manual
> page.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jean-PIerre

Yes, the MDA tables are all proxy tables, and they all show up as type 'U'.

There are in addition stored procedures whose name starts with "mon",
but they are not MDA tables.

Note that the loopback entry is not necessary as of 15.0.2.
See the "Monitoring and Diagnostic (MDA) tables" section about 5 pages
in from
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc73430.1502/html/aserbsol/BHACJBDA.htm


Cheers,
-bret


Carl Kayser Posted on 2009-10-17 12:43:06.0Z
From: "Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4ad8c7ff$1@forums-1-dub> <4ad8ccbc.3475.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Questions related to MDA tables.
Lines: 65
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3350
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ad9bbda@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Oct 2009 05:43:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255783386 10.22.241.152 (17 Oct 2009 05:43:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Oct 2009 05:43:06 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ase1251
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28497
Article PK: 77739


<Jean-Pierre Dareys> wrote in message
news:4ad8ccbc.3475.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Bret,
>
> Thank you for the response. Well, if they are all proxy
> tables, what do they access? Another dumb question?
>

As I remember from an article or presentation they are RPC calls to
in-memory C structures.

p.s. There is a seperate forum for MDA tables:
sybase.public.ase.mda_tables.

> Jean-Pierre
>
>> Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
>> > Greetings,
>> >
>> > I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide -
>> > Monitoring section, trying to clarify something
>> > regarding MDA tables.
>> >
>> > A query of the system catalog shows that some of these
>> > "%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and others
>> > are type "P", stored procedures.
>> >
>> > I know about the loopback entry in sysservers, necessary
>> > for the install, and having to enable CIS and the fact
>> > that some of these tables are proxy tables acording to
>> > their creation DDL.
>> >
>> > Is this the case with all of them? This might sound like
>> > a dumb question but the materials I read did not specify
>> > clearly and a sharp student pointed out they are all
>> > proxy tables.
>> >
>> > Can someone shed more light or point me to the right
>> > manual page.
>> >
>> > Many thanks.
>> >
>> > Jean-PIerre
>>
>> Yes, the MDA tables are all proxy tables, and they all
>> show up as type 'U'.
>>
>> There are in addition stored procedures whose name starts
>> with "mon", but they are not MDA tables.
>>
>> Note that the loopback entry is not necessary as of
>> 15.0.2. See the "Monitoring and Diagnostic (MDA) tables"
>> section about 5 pages in from
>>
> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc73430.1502/html/aserbsol/BHACJBDA.htm
>>
>>
>> Cheers,
>> -bret
>>
>>
>>


Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2009-10-17 18:37:52.0Z
Sender: 6311.4ada0e63.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Questions related to MDA tables.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ada0f00.6329.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ad9bbda@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 17 Oct 2009 11:37:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255804672 10.22.241.41 (17 Oct 2009 11:37:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Oct 2009 11:37:52 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 68
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28500
Article PK: 77742

Thank you for the response. You rule!

> <Jean-Pierre Dareys> wrote in message
> news:4ad8ccbc.3475.1681692777@sybase.com...
> > Bret,
> >
> > Thank you for the response. Well, if they are all proxy
> > tables, what do they access? Another dumb question?
> >
>
> As I remember from an article or presentation they are RPC
> calls to in-memory C structures.
>
> p.s. There is a seperate forum for MDA tables:
> sybase.public.ase.mda_tables.
>
> > Jean-Pierre
> >
> >> Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
> >> > Greetings,
> >> >
> >> > I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide
> - >> > Monitoring section, trying to clarify something
> >> > regarding MDA tables.
> >> >
> >> > A query of the system catalog shows that some of
> these >> > "%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and
> others >> > are type "P", stored procedures.
> >> >
> >> > I know about the loopback entry in sysservers,
> necessary >> > for the install, and having to enable CIS
> and the fact >> > that some of these tables are proxy
> tables acording to >> > their creation DDL.
> >> >
> >> > Is this the case with all of them? This might sound
> like >> > a dumb question but the materials I read did not
> specify >> > clearly and a sharp student pointed out they
> are all >> > proxy tables.
> >> >
> >> > Can someone shed more light or point me to the right
> >> > manual page.
> >> >
> >> > Many thanks.
> >> >
> >> > Jean-PIerre
> >>
> >> Yes, the MDA tables are all proxy tables, and they all
> >> show up as type 'U'.
> >>
> >> There are in addition stored procedures whose name
> starts >> with "mon", but they are not MDA tables.
> >>
> >> Note that the loopback entry is not necessary as of
> >> 15.0.2. See the "Monitoring and Diagnostic (MDA)
> tables" >> section about 5 pages in from
> >>
> >
>
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc73430.1502/html/aserbsol/BHACJBDA.htm
> >>
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> -bret
> >>
> >>
> >>
>
>


mconway Posted on 2009-10-18 16:46:54.0Z
From: mconway <michelle.conway@kmhp.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Questions related to MDA tables.
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 09:46:54 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 73
Message-ID: <edf4e747-5c96-4967-a926-c5dda71628f3@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
References: <4ad8c318.32aa.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 63.167.114.204
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1255884414 8768 127.0.0.1 (18 Oct 2009 16:46:54 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 16:46:54 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com; posting-host=63.167.114.204; posting-account=ddaQPgoAAADmS-4EDxbh3e8FGpPcw0lv
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; GTB6; .NET CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; InfoPath.1; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.30; .NET CLR 3.0.04506.648; .NET CLR 3.5.21022; MS-RTC LM 8; .NET CLR 3.0.4506.2152; .NET CLR 3.5.30729),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!novia!news-out.readnews.com!news-xxxfer.readnews.com!postnews.google.com!k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28502
Article PK: 77744


On Oct 16, 3:01 pm, Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide -
> Monitoring section, trying to clarify something regarding
> MDA tables.
>
> A query of the system catalog shows that some of these
> "%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and others are
> type "P", stored procedures.
>
> I know about the loopback entry in sysservers, necessary for
> the install, and having to enable CIS and the fact that some
> of these tables are proxy tables acording to their creation
> DDL.
>
> Is this the case with all of them? This might sound like a
> dumb question but the materials I read did not specify
> clearly and a sharp student pointed out they are all proxy
> tables.
>
> Can someone shed more light or point me to the right manual
> page.
>
> Many thanks.
>
> Jean-PIerre

Jean- Pierre -
MDA collects a lot of data, to be sure to collect an adequate amount
make sure your config settings are optimal - we chose these, your
needs may be different.
sp_configure "enable monitoring", 1
go
sp_configure "sql text pipe active", 1
go
sp_configure "sql text pipe max messages", 100
go
sp_configure "plan text pipe active", 1
go
sp_configure "plan text pipe max messages", 100
go
sp_configure "statement pipe active", 1
go
sp_configure "statement pipe max messages", 100
go
sp_configure "errorlog pipe active", 1
go
sp_configure "errorlog pipe max messages", 100
go
sp_configure "deadlock pipe active", 1
go
sp_configure "deadlock pipe max messages", 100
go
sp_configure "wait event timing", 1
go
sp_configure "process wait events", 1
go
sp_configure "object lockwait timing", 1
go
sp_configure "SQL batch capture", 1
go
sp_configure "statement statistics active", 1
go
sp_configure "per object statistics active", 1
go

also found lot's of good information at www.sypron.nl/mda
also check out the DB diagram at
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc70002.1502/pdf/asemtpst.pdf?noframes=true
Don't know if this helps, but these resources helped us gather this
important monitoring information


Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2009-10-20 01:40:13.0Z
Sender: 1e84.4add13af.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Questions related to MDA tables.
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4add14fd.1ea1.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <edf4e747-5c96-4967-a926-c5dda71628f3@k17g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 19 Oct 2009 18:40:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256002813 10.22.241.41 (19 Oct 2009 18:40:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Oct 2009 18:40:13 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 78
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28509
Article PK: 77752

Thank you for the parameter information. I took mine from
Rob´s site and will continue tuning as necessary.

Jean-Pierre

> On Oct 16, 3:01 pm, Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I just reviewed the ASE 15.0 documentation, P&T guide -
> > Monitoring section, trying to clarify something
> > regarding MDA tables.
> >
> > A query of the system catalog shows that some of these
> > "%mon%" objects are type "U", user tables, and others
> > are type "P", stored procedures.
> >
> > I know about the loopback entry in sysservers, necessary
> > for the install, and having to enable CIS and the fact
> > that some of these tables are proxy tables acording to
> > their creation DDL.
> >
> > Is this the case with all of them? This might sound like
> > a dumb question but the materials I read did not specify
> > clearly and a sharp student pointed out they are all
> > proxy tables.
> >
> > Can someone shed more light or point me to the right
> > manual page.
> >
> > Many thanks.
> >
> > Jean-PIerre
>
> Jean- Pierre -
> MDA collects a lot of data, to be sure to collect an
> adequate amount make sure your config settings are optimal
> - we chose these, your needs may be different.
> sp_configure "enable monitoring", 1
> go
> sp_configure "sql text pipe active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "sql text pipe max messages", 100
> go
> sp_configure "plan text pipe active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "plan text pipe max messages", 100
> go
> sp_configure "statement pipe active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "statement pipe max messages", 100
> go
> sp_configure "errorlog pipe active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "errorlog pipe max messages", 100
> go
> sp_configure "deadlock pipe active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "deadlock pipe max messages", 100
> go
> sp_configure "wait event timing", 1
> go
> sp_configure "process wait events", 1
> go
> sp_configure "object lockwait timing", 1
> go
> sp_configure "SQL batch capture", 1
> go
> sp_configure "statement statistics active", 1
> go
> sp_configure "per object statistics active", 1
> go
>
> also found lot's of good information at www.sypron.nl/mda
> also check out the DB diagram at
>
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc70002.1502/pdf/asemtpst.pdf?noframes=true
> Don't know if this helps, but these resources helped us
> gather this important monitoring information