Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista

10 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-11-02 18:07:18.0Z
Rick Posted on 2009-10-16 21:22:31.0Z
Sender: 36a4.4ad8e23c.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ad8e417.36ce.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 16 Oct 2009 14:22:31 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255728151 10.22.241.41 (16 Oct 2009 14:22:31 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Oct 2009 14:22:31 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 9
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7759
Article PK: 6797

I seem to be unable to assign a port with -x
tcpip(port=49152) on Vista. The SQL Anywhere 10 service
simply says "Unable to initialize communication links". If I
take the port designation away, the service starts up just
fine.

Does anyone have an idea what I might be missing or if this
is a known issue on Vista?
Thanks.


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-10-16 22:29:08.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
References: <4ad8e417.36ce.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4ad8e417.36ce.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ad8f3b4$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Oct 2009 15:29:08 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255732148 10.22.241.152 (16 Oct 2009 15:29:08 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Oct 2009 15:29:08 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 26
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7760
Article PK: 6794

There is likely something already listening on that port on your
machine. Start the server with the -z switch and it should tell you --
if you see "TCP/IP link, function bind, error code 10048", then that's
the problem.

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

Rick wrote:
> I seem to be unable to assign a port with -x
> tcpip(port=49152) on Vista. The SQL Anywhere 10 service
> simply says "Unable to initialize communication links". If I
> take the port designation away, the service starts up just
> fine.
>
> Does anyone have an idea what I might be missing or if this
> is a known issue on Vista?
> Thanks.


Rick Posted on 2009-10-19 19:35:24.0Z
Sender: f89.4adcbb44.1804289383@sybase.com
From: rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4adcbf7c.1036.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ad8f3b4$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 19 Oct 2009 12:35:24 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255980924 10.22.241.41 (19 Oct 2009 12:35:24 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Oct 2009 12:35:24 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7762
Article PK: 6800

I added the -z switch, and the event viewer did not give me
any additional information. It still only reports "Unable to
initialize communication links".

Sybase Central only reports an Unknown error occured
attempting to start the database.

This is a relatively clean Vista box with no other (third
party) services running, and no other database services
running.

I am even trying tcpip(port=49158) with Windows Firewall
off.

> There is likely something already listening on that port
> on your machine. Start the server with the -z switch and
> it should tell you -- if you see "TCP/IP link, function
> bind, error code 10048", then that's the problem.
>
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>
>
> Rick wrote:
> > I seem to be unable to assign a port with -x
> > tcpip(port=49152) on Vista. The SQL Anywhere 10 service
> > simply says "Unable to initialize communication links".
> > If I take the port designation away, the service starts
> > up just fine.
> >
> > Does anyone have an idea what I might be missing or if
> > this is a known issue on Vista?
> > Thanks.


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-10-19 21:14:29.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
References: <4ad8f3b4$1@forums-1-dub> <4adcbf7c.1036.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4adcbf7c.1036.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4adcd6b5$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 19 Oct 2009 14:14:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1255986869 10.22.241.152 (19 Oct 2009 14:14:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 19 Oct 2009 14:14:29 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 22
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7763
Article PK: 6799

Hi Rick,

Try using:

-x tcpip(port=49158;IPV6=No)

Regards,

rick wrote:
> I added the -z switch, and the event viewer did not give me
> any additional information. It still only reports "Unable to
> initialize communication links".

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Rick Posted on 2009-10-20 20:31:27.0Z
Sender: 508f.4ade1972.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ade1e1f.5170.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4adcd6b5$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 20 Oct 2009 13:31:27 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256070687 10.22.241.41 (20 Oct 2009 13:31:27 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Oct 2009 13:31:27 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 57
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7770
Article PK: 6805

No, that did not work either.

If I start up multiple servers without designating a port,
they all start up fine even on the ports that I was trying
to specify explicitly. So I know that SQL Any 10 can find
and start up services on those ports.

This starts up from Sybase Central without a problem:

-n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip -ti 0
-n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x tcpip -ti 0

(server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up on port
49152)


This will refuse to start up:
-n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
-n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0

(Neither database will start up -- with or without the
IPV6=No switch)

I have also tried using the -o switch to start a console
log, but since the service doesn't start up, the console log
doesn't get created.

> Hi Rick,
>
> Try using:
>
> -x tcpip(port=49158;IPV6=No)
>
> Regards,
>
> rick wrote:
> > I added the -z switch, and the event viewer did not give
> > me any additional information. It still only reports
> > "Unable to initialize communication links".
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-10-20 20:53:27.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
References: <4adcd6b5$1@forums-1-dub> <4ade1e1f.5170.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4ade1e1f.5170.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ade2347$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 20 Oct 2009 13:53:27 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256072007 10.22.241.152 (20 Oct 2009 13:53:27 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 20 Oct 2009 13:53:27 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 52
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7771
Article PK: 6806

Hi Rick,

This sounds very strange.

Have you done any experiments with starting the server just at the
command-line and not as a service? Are there any observed problems /
discrepancies with just starting it up on these ports?

Is your service started with the LOCAL SYSTEM account or is it starting
underneath a specific user? Does it interact with the desktop?

Regards,

Rick wrote:
> No, that did not work either.
>
> If I start up multiple servers without designating a port,
> they all start up fine even on the ports that I was trying
> to specify explicitly. So I know that SQL Any 10 can find
> and start up services on those ports.
>
> This starts up from Sybase Central without a problem:
>
> -n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip -ti 0
> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x tcpip -ti 0
>
> (server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up on port
> 49152)
>
>
> This will refuse to start up:
> -n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
> tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
> tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0
>
> (Neither database will start up -- with or without the
> IPV6=No switch)
>
> I have also tried using the -o switch to start a console
> log, but since the service doesn't start up, the console log
> doesn't get created.

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Rick Posted on 2009-10-21 21:26:16.0Z
Sender: 1a1e.4adf6e75.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4adf7c78.1c5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ade2347$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 21 Oct 2009 14:26:16 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256160376 10.22.241.41 (21 Oct 2009 14:26:16 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Oct 2009 14:26:16 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 68
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7772
Article PK: 6807

OK... Starting from the command line gave me more info and a
console window. (Why can't we get the console window from
starting the service in Sybase Central?!)

I indeed have something listening on ports 49152 through
49157...

I got the services to start past those port #s.

> Hi Rick,
>
> This sounds very strange.
>
> Have you done any experiments with starting the server
> just at the command-line and not as a service? Are there
> any observed problems / discrepancies with just starting
> it up on these ports?
>
> Is your service started with the LOCAL SYSTEM account or
> is it starting underneath a specific user? Does it
> interact with the desktop?
>
> Regards,
>
> Rick wrote:
> > No, that did not work either.
> >
> > If I start up multiple servers without designating a
> > port, they all start up fine even on the ports that I
> > was trying to specify explicitly. So I know that SQL Any
> > 10 can find and start up services on those ports.
> >
> > This starts up from Sybase Central without a problem:
> >
> > -n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip -ti 0
> > -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x tcpip -ti 0
> >
> > (server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up on
> > port 49152)
> >
> >
> > This will refuse to start up:
> > -n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
> > tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
> > -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
> > tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0
> >
> > (Neither database will start up -- with or without the
> > IPV6=No switch)
> >
> > I have also tried using the -o switch to start a console
> > log, but since the service doesn't start up, the console
> > log doesn't get created.
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-10-21 22:58:30.0Z
From: "Graeme Perrow [Sybase iAnywhere]" <ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom>
Reply-To: ReplyToNewsgroupOnly-gperrowNO@SPAMianywhere.PLEASEcom
Organization: Sybase iAnywhere
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
References: <4ade2347$1@forums-1-dub> <4adf7c78.1c5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4adf7c78.1c5d.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4adf9216$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Oct 2009 15:58:30 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256165910 10.22.241.152 (21 Oct 2009 15:58:30 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Oct 2009 15:58:30 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 84
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7773
Article PK: 6809

The server console information is available using the -o switch. The
fact that this is not working for you is very puzzling.

Have you tried using dbsvc to create the services?

Graeme Perrow
Senior Software Developer
gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
Sybase iAnywhere Engineering

SQL Anywhere Developer Community
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Blog Center
http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs

Rick wrote:
> OK... Starting from the command line gave me more info and a
> console window. (Why can't we get the console window from
> starting the service in Sybase Central?!)
>
> I indeed have something listening on ports 49152 through
> 49157...
>
> I got the services to start past those port #s.
>
>
>> Hi Rick,
>>
>> This sounds very strange.
>>
>> Have you done any experiments with starting the server
>> just at the command-line and not as a service? Are there
>> any observed problems / discrepancies with just starting
>> it up on these ports?
>>
>> Is your service started with the LOCAL SYSTEM account or
>> is it starting underneath a specific user? Does it
>> interact with the desktop?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Rick wrote:
>>> No, that did not work either.
>>>
>>> If I start up multiple servers without designating a
>>> port, they all start up fine even on the ports that I
>>> was trying to specify explicitly. So I know that SQL Any
>>> 10 can find and start up services on those ports.
>>>
>>> This starts up from Sybase Central without a problem:
>>>
>>> -n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip -ti 0
>>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x tcpip -ti 0
>>>
>>> (server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up on
>>> port 49152)
>>>
>>>
>>> This will refuse to start up:
>>> -n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
>>> tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
>>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
>>> tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0
>>>
>>> (Neither database will start up -- with or without the
>>> IPV6=No switch)
>>>
>>> I have also tried using the -o switch to start a console
>>> log, but since the service doesn't start up, the console
>>> log doesn't get created.
>> --
>> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>>
>> iAnywhere Developer Community :
>>
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
>> iAnywhere Documentation :
>> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
>> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>>
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
>> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
>> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Rick Posted on 2009-10-30 15:04:51.0Z
Sender: f6e.4aeafeee.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aeb0093.fb7.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4adf9216$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Oct 2009 07:04:51 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256915091 10.22.241.41 (30 Oct 2009 07:04:51 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Oct 2009 07:04:51 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 110
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7787
Article PK: 6823

No, up until it was mentioned to use the command line
utilities, I have only been working in Sybase Central.

The command line utilities don't seem to have any problem
creating, starting or stopping services.

Sybase Central, however, is having all the issues.

Now, I've upgraded to Windows 7, and Sybase Central cannot
create, start or stop anything. I am getting "Service
'<name>' cannot be accessed" on everything.

I'm sure this is a permissions thing, but I have no idea
where or what to look for.

I'd really hate to use the command line tools for
everything. That seems like a real backward step in the
wrong direction!

> The server console information is available using the -o
> switch. The fact that this is not working for you is very
> puzzling.
>
> Have you tried using dbsvc to create the services?
>
> Graeme Perrow
> Senior Software Developer
> gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community
>
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
>
>
> Rick wrote:
> > OK... Starting from the command line gave me more info
> > and a console window. (Why can't we get the console
> > window from starting the service in Sybase Central?!)
> >
> > I indeed have something listening on ports 49152 through
> > 49157...
> >
> > I got the services to start past those port #s.
> >
> >
> >> Hi Rick,
> >>
> >> This sounds very strange.
> >>
> >> Have you done any experiments with starting the server
> >> just at the command-line and not as a service? Are
> there >> any observed problems / discrepancies with just
> starting >> it up on these ports?
> >>
> >> Is your service started with the LOCAL SYSTEM account
> or >> is it starting underneath a specific user? Does it
> >> interact with the desktop?
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >>
> >> Rick wrote:
> >>> No, that did not work either.
> >>>
> >>> If I start up multiple servers without designating a
> >>> port, they all start up fine even on the ports that I
> >>> was trying to specify explicitly. So I know that SQL
> Any >>> 10 can find and start up services on those ports.
> >>>
> >>> This starts up from Sybase Central without a problem:
> >>>
> >>> -n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip -ti
> 0 >>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x tcpip
> -ti 0 >>>
> >>> (server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up
> on >>> port 49152)
> >>>
> >>>
> >>> This will refuse to start up:
> >>> -n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
> >>> tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
> >>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
> >>> tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0
> >>>
> >>> (Neither database will start up -- with or without the
> >>> IPV6=No switch)
> >>>
> >>> I have also tried using the -o switch to start a
> console >>> log, but since the service doesn't start up,
> the console >>> log doesn't get created.
> >> --
> >> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
> >>
> >> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> >>
> >
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> >> iAnywhere Documentation :
> >> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals SQL
> >> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> >>
> >
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> >> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> >> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Rick Posted on 2009-11-02 18:07:18.0Z
Sender: 5cfe.4aef1ac4.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rick
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: Assigning TCPIP PORT with SQL Any10 on Vista
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4aef1fd6.5dfe.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4aeb0093.fb7.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 2 Nov 2009 10:07:18 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1257185238 10.22.241.41 (2 Nov 2009 10:07:18 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Nov 2009 10:07:18 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 119
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:7790
Article PK: 6826

OK... found the solution: I reinstalled Java (should that
have had any affect) and set scjview to run in compatibility
mode for Vista Service Pack 2... Now Sybase Central can
start, stop, and create services again.

> No, up until it was mentioned to use the command line
> utilities, I have only been working in Sybase Central.
>
> The command line utilities don't seem to have any problem
> creating, starting or stopping services.
>
> Sybase Central, however, is having all the issues.
>
> Now, I've upgraded to Windows 7, and Sybase Central cannot
> create, start or stop anything. I am getting "Service
> '<name>' cannot be accessed" on everything.
>
> I'm sure this is a permissions thing, but I have no idea
> where or what to look for.
>
> I'd really hate to use the command line tools for
> everything. That seems like a real backward step in the
> wrong direction!
>
> > The server console information is available using the -o
> > switch. The fact that this is not working for you is
> > very puzzling.
> >
> > Have you tried using dbsvc to create the services?
> >
> > Graeme Perrow
> > Senior Software Developer
> > gperrow _at_ ianywhere _dot_ com
> > Sybase iAnywhere Engineering
> >
> > SQL Anywhere Developer Community
> >
> >
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> > SQL Anywhere Blog Center
> > http://www.sybase.com/sqlanyblogs
> >
> >
> > Rick wrote:
> > > OK... Starting from the command line gave me more info
> > > and a console window. (Why can't we get the console
> > > window from starting the service in Sybase Central?!)
> > >
> > > I indeed have something listening on ports 49152
> > > through 49157...
> > >
> > > I got the services to start past those port #s.
> > >
> > >
> > >> Hi Rick,
> > >>
> > >> This sounds very strange.
> > >>
> > >> Have you done any experiments with starting the
> > server >> just at the command-line and not as a
> > service? Are there >> any observed problems /
> > discrepancies with just starting >> it up on these
> > ports? >>
> > >> Is your service started with the LOCAL SYSTEM account
> > or >> is it starting underneath a specific user? Does
> > it >> interact with the desktop?
> > >>
> > >> Regards,
> > >>
> > >> Rick wrote:
> > >>> No, that did not work either.
> > >>>
> > >>> If I start up multiple servers without designating a
> > >>> port, they all start up fine even on the ports that
> > I >>> was trying to specify explicitly. So I know that
> > SQL Any >>> 10 can find and start up services on those
> > ports. >>>
> > >>> This starts up from Sybase Central without a
> > problem: >>>
> > >>> -n server_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x tcpip
> > -ti 0 >>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
> > tcpip -ti 0 >>>
> > >>> (server_A starts up on port 2638, server_B starts up
> > on >>> port 49152)
> > >>>
> > >>>
> > >>> This will refuse to start up:
> > >>> -n server10_A C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_a.db -x
> > >>> tcpip(port=2638) -ti 0
> > >>> -n server_B C:\mydatabase\mydatabase_b.db -x
> > >>> tcpip(port=49152) -ti 0
> > >>>
> > >>> (Neither database will start up -- with or without
> > the >>> IPV6=No switch)
> > >>>
> > >>> I have also tried using the -o switch to start a
> > console >>> log, but since the service doesn't start up,
> > the console >>> log doesn't get created.
> > >> --
> > >> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
> > >>
> > >> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> > >>
> > >
> >
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> > >> iAnywhere Documentation :
> > >> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> > SQL >> Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> > >>
> > >
> >
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> > >> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> > >> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/