Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Sybase roles

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-10-22 10:15:18.0Z
dominicus Posted on 2009-10-21 07:27:39.0Z
Sender: 6c19.4ade83eb.1804289383@sybase.com
From: dominicus
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Sybase roles
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4adeb7eb.7800.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 21 Oct 2009 00:27:39 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256110059 10.22.241.41 (21 Oct 2009 00:27:39 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Oct 2009 00:27:39 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 7
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28514
Article PK: 77756

Hi,

What are the differences between the different roles in
sybase?(operator_role, sybase_ts_role, sa_role, sso_role,
replication_role)

Thanks in advance


lparodi Posted on 2009-10-21 12:38:37.0Z
From: lparodi <laurent.parodi@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Sybase roles
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 05:38:37 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 14
Message-ID: <43efbd75-4d27-4c8d-9c41-2eff6556632b@e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>
References: <4adeb7eb.7800.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 170.148.198.156
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1256128717 3249 127.0.0.1 (21 Oct 2009 12:38:37 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2009 12:38:37 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com; posting-host=170.148.198.156; posting-account=e8FvQwoAAACnChHYhuBzug04rV3c2QoN
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.3) Gecko/20090824 Firefox/3.5.3,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!news-raspail.gip.net!news.gsl.net!gip.net!aotearoa.belnet.be!news.belnet.be!feed.xsnews.nl!border-1.ams.xsnews.nl!news.glorb.com!news2.glorb.com!postnews.google.com!e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28516
Article PK: 77758

Let's start with the documentation :
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sag1/html/sag1/sag1581.htm

If you have any question, please let us know

On Oct 21, 9:27 am, dominicus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What are the differences between the different roles in
> sybase?(operator_role, sybase_ts_role, sa_role, sso_role,
> replication_role)
>
> Thanks in advance


dominicus Posted on 2009-10-22 01:35:42.0Z
Sender: 6c19.4ade83eb.1804289383@sybase.com
From: dominicus
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Sybase roles
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <43efbd75-4d27-4c8d-9c41-2eff6556632b@e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 21 Oct 2009 18:35:42 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256175342 10.22.241.41 (21 Oct 2009 18:35:42 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Oct 2009 18:35:42 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 22
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28518
Article PK: 77761

Hi,

Thanks again. Would you mind to elaborate further the roles
particularly the first
five?(sa_role,sso_role,oper_role,sybase_ts_role and
relpication_role)When do I use these roles?

> Let's start with the documentation :
>
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sag1/html/sag1/sag1581.htm
>
> If you have any question, please let us know
> On Oct 21, 9:27 am, dominicus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What are the differences between the different roles in
> > sybase?(operator_role, sybase_ts_role, sa_role, sso_role
> > , replication_role)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>


Cory Sane [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-10-22 03:07:13.0Z
From: "Cory Sane [TeamSybase]" <cory!=sane>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <43efbd75-4d27-4c8d-9c41-2eff6556632b@e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com> <4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Sybase roles
Lines: 34
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18005
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6002.18005
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4adfcc61@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Oct 2009 20:07:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256180833 10.22.241.152 (21 Oct 2009 20:07:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Oct 2009 20:07:13 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28519
Article PK: 77760

sa_role can shutdown the ASE instance and make configuration changes
sso_role can grant/revoke object permissions
oper_role can do issue "dump commands"
sybase_ts_role is not used in normal operations
replication_role is used by logins that manage the rep services.


--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
"dominicus" wrote in message news:4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com...
Hi,

Thanks again. Would you mind to elaborate further the roles
particularly the first
five?(sa_role,sso_role,oper_role,sybase_ts_role and
relpication_role)When do I use these roles?

> Let's start with the documentation :
>
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sag1/html/sag1/sag1581.htm
>
> If you have any question, please let us know
> On Oct 21, 9:27 am, dominicus wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > What are the differences between the different roles in
> > sybase?(operator_role, sybase_ts_role, sa_role, sso_role
> > , replication_role)
> >
> > Thanks in advance
>


Carl Kayser Posted on 2009-10-22 10:15:18.0Z
From: "Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <43efbd75-4d27-4c8d-9c41-2eff6556632b@e34g2000vbc.googlegroups.com> <4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com> <4adfcc61@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Sybase roles
Lines: 48
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3598
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3350
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ae030b6$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 22 Oct 2009 03:15:18 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1256206518 10.22.241.152 (22 Oct 2009 03:15:18 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Oct 2009 03:15:18 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ase1251
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28521
Article PK: 77762


"Cory Sane [TeamSybase]" <cory!=sane> wrote in message
news:4adfcc61@forums-1-dub...
> sa_role can shutdown the ASE instance and make configuration changes
> sso_role can grant/revoke object permissions

Not really accurate for sso_role at the database object level.

> oper_role can do issue "dump commands"
> sybase_ts_role is not used in normal operations
> replication_role is used by logins that manage the rep services.


See pages 403-408 at
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.infocenter.dc31654.1502/pdf/sag1.pdf
for better descriptions of the functionality of the system roles.

>
>
> --
> Cory Sane
> [TeamSybase]
> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
> "dominicus" wrote in message news:4adfb6ee.249a.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> Thanks again. Would you mind to elaborate further the roles
> particularly the first
> five?(sa_role,sso_role,oper_role,sybase_ts_role and
> relpication_role)When do I use these roles?
>
>
>> Let's start with the documentation :
>>
> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.help.ase_15.0.sag1/html/sag1/sag1581.htm
>>
>> If you have any question, please let us know
>> On Oct 21, 9:27 am, dominicus wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > What are the differences between the different roles in
>> > sybase?(operator_role, sybase_ts_role, sa_role, sso_role
>> > , replication_role)
>> >
>> > Thanks in advance
>>