Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

client application does not support more than 255 bytes...

4 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2009-11-18 01:03:43.0Z
Geeru Posted on 2009-11-17 18:09:31.0Z
Sender: 1bcc.4b02e692.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Geeru
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: client application does not support more than 255 bytes...
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4b02e6db.1bda.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 17 Nov 2009 10:09:31 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1258481371 10.22.241.41 (17 Nov 2009 10:09:31 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Nov 2009 10:09:31 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 16
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:90291
Article PK: 409895

I'm compiling a PB 10 project, but I get the following error
when running the exe,

'select error: character or binary data returned from
Adaptive Server has been truncated. The client application
does not support more than 255 bytes of data as a result
column or output parameter.'

I've researched it and it appears that when I compile, it
uses an older version of open client, because the error
doesn't occur when I'm debugging. So, how and where do I
check the version of open client included when a project is
compiled?

Many thanks,
Geeru


Chris Pollach Posted on 2009-11-17 18:21:08.0Z
From: "Chris Pollach" <cpollach@travel-net.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <4b02e6db.1bda.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: client application does not support more than 255 bytes...
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b02e994$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Nov 2009 10:21:08 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1258482068 10.22.241.152 (17 Nov 2009 10:21:08 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Nov 2009 10:21:08 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:90292
Article PK: 409897

Hi Geeru;

Can you tell us ...

1) Exact PB 10.x release / build?
2) Version of ASE?
3) Expected OC release?
4) How you are connecting to ASE from your PB application?

--
Regards ... Chris
ISUG - NA RUG Director
Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass

<Geeru> wrote in message news:4b02e6db.1bda.1681692777@sybase.com...
> I'm compiling a PB 10 project, but I get the following error
> when running the exe,
>
> 'select error: character or binary data returned from
> Adaptive Server has been truncated. The client application
> does not support more than 255 bytes of data as a result
> column or output parameter.'
>
> I've researched it and it appears that when I compile, it
> uses an older version of open client, because the error
> doesn't occur when I'm debugging. So, how and where do I
> check the version of open client included when a project is
> compiled?
>
> Many thanks,
> Geeru


Geeru Posted on 2009-11-17 18:45:37.0Z
Sender: 1c0d.4b02e86a.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Geeru
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: client application does not support more than 255 bytes...
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4b02ef51.1d32.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4b02e994$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 17 Nov 2009 10:45:37 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1258483537 10.22.241.41 (17 Nov 2009 10:45:37 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Nov 2009 10:45:37 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 45
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:90293
Article PK: 409898

Hi Chris:
PB 10.2.1, build 9799
ASE 12.5
OC 12.5 (I believe, where can I confirm this?)
Yes, connecting from a deployed PB application.

Thanks,
Geeru

> Hi Geeru;
>
> Can you tell us ...
>
> 1) Exact PB 10.x release / build?
> 2) Version of ASE?
> 3) Expected OC release?
> 4) How you are connecting to ASE from your PB application?
>
> --
> Regards ... Chris
> ISUG - NA RUG Director
> Blog: http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
> SourceForge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
>
> <Geeru> wrote in message
> > news:4b02e6db.1bda.1681692777@sybase.com... I'm
> > compiling a PB 10 project, but I get the following error
> when running the exe, >
> > 'select error: character or binary data returned from
> > Adaptive Server has been truncated. The client
> > application does not support more than 255 bytes of data
> > as a result column or output parameter.'
> >
> > I've researched it and it appears that when I compile,
> > it uses an older version of open client, because the
> > error doesn't occur when I'm debugging. So, how and
> > where do I check the version of open client included
> > when a project is compiled?
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > Geeru
>
>


Jeremy Lakeman Posted on 2009-11-18 01:03:43.0Z
From: Jeremy Lakeman <jeremy.lakeman@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: client application does not support more than 255 bytes...
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 17:03:43 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 51
Message-ID: <fb93f1cd-ac40-4173-b7c0-b2c561c091a2@f20g2000vbl.googlegroups.com>
References: <4b02e994$1@forums-1-dub> <4b02ef51.1d32.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.122.242.105
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1258506223 2066 127.0.0.1 (18 Nov 2009 01:03:43 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Wed, 18 Nov 2009 01:03:43 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: f20g2000vbl.googlegroups.com; posting-host=203.122.242.105; posting-account=euaBtgoAAAC_vDxfsxmpMKlBxHaHpmRS
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-Via: 1.1 fly.essential.com.au:3128 (squid/2.5.STABLE8), 1.0 asp.essential.intranet:3128 (squid/2.5.STABLE8)
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.1.4) Gecko/20091016 Firefox/3.5.4 (.NET CLR 3.5.30729),gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!novia!news-out.readnews.com!transit4.readnews.com!postnews.google.com!f20g2000vbl.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:90294
Article PK: 409899

I believe the application will use your PATH, SYBASE & SYBASE_OCS
environment variables to find the database client to load. You might
want to check if these are pointing to the right locations.

You may also need to set your dbparm;
<transaction>.DBParm = "Release='12.5', ...

On Nov 18, 4:45 am, Geeru wrote:
> Hi Chris:
> PB 10.2.1, build 9799
> ASE 12.5
> OC 12.5 (I believe, where can I confirm this?)
> Yes, connecting from a deployed PB application.
>
> Thanks,
> Geeru
>
> > Hi Geeru;
>
> >     Can you tell us ...
>
> > 1) Exact PB 10.x release / build?
> > 2) Version of ASE?
> > 3) Expected OC release?
> > 4) How you are connecting to ASE from your PB application?
>
> > --
> > Regards ... Chris
> > ISUG - NA RUG Director
> > Blog:http://chrispollach.pbdjmagazine.com
> > SourceForge:http://sourceforge.net/projects/stdfndclass
>
> > <Geeru> wrote in message
> > >news:4b02e6db.1bda.1681692777@sybase.com... I'm
> > > compiling a PB 10 project, but I get the following error
> > when running the exe, >
> > > 'select error: character or binary data returned from
> > > Adaptive Server has been truncated.  The client
> > > application does not support more than 255 bytes of data
> > > as a result column or output parameter.'
>
> > > I've researched it and it appears that when I compile,
> > > it uses an older version of open client, because the
> > > error doesn't occur when I'm debugging.  So, how and
> > > where do I check the version of open client included
> > > when a project is compiled?
>
> > > Many thanks,
> > > Geeru