Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Invalid MAL command

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-11-26 08:46:42.0Z
Shao Chan Posted on 2009-11-24 14:49:58.0Z
Reply-To: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
From: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Invalid MAL command
Lines: 240
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2009 06:49:58 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259074198 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2009 06:49:58 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2009 06:49:58 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1451
Article PK: 17986

Hi all,

What would cause the enclosed error message?

Error: The client received an invalid MAL command.

Thanks.

Shao

Invalid MAL Command.png

Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-11-24 17:38:02.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Invalid MAL command
References: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b0c19fa$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 24 Nov 2009 09:38:02 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259084282 10.22.241.152 (24 Nov 2009 09:38:02 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 24 Nov 2009 09:38:02 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 30
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1454
Article PK: 17988

Hi Shao,

What's the version and build of the M-Business server and the client?
There's possibly a build mismatch or other protocol issue happening here.

Regards,

Shao Chan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> What would cause the enclosed error message?
>
> Error: The client received an invalid MAL command.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Shao
>
>
>

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Shao Chan Posted on 2009-11-25 09:27:39.0Z
Reply-To: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
From: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub> <4b0c19fa$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Invalid MAL command
Lines: 66
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b0cf88b@forums-1-dub>
Date: 25 Nov 2009 01:27:39 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259141259 10.22.241.152 (25 Nov 2009 01:27:39 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Nov 2009 01:27:39 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1455
Article PK: 17989

Hi Jeff,

It's 6.2 b254 on the server. The client is 6.7.512
(MBEntPPCEN_6_7_512.exe).

We'll be moving off from 6.2 server to 7.0 within the next month or so, but
we'll always have mismatched clients.

In practice, most organisations will source devices gradually and so we will
always have devices at the start of their life cycle on the latest M-Biz
client version and devices towards the end of their life cycle on one of the
older versions. At the moment, we have 6.7 and 7.0 clients.

The server gets upgraded during a major system upgrade so this customer is
due.

As far as we can tell, having mismatched client/server versions doesn't
affect application synchronisation in any way. But possibly these error
messages suggest otherwise.

The problem we have is that when newer versions of the M-Biz client have
come out in the past, they tended to work very well on current devices but
tended to have problems on older devices especially if they were on an older
operating system version. Therefore it was less risk to keep the customer
on the same version they had for existing devices. This also saved them
from having to do a global upgrade of all devices.

What's the support policy for mismatched versions of client/server?

Cheers,

Shao

"Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4b0c19fa$1@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Shao,
>
> What's the version and build of the M-Business server and the client?
> There's possibly a build mismatch or other protocol issue happening here.
>
> Regards,
>
> Shao Chan wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> What would cause the enclosed error message?
>>
>> Error: The client received an invalid MAL command.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Shao
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2009-11-25 18:12:09.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
Subject: Re: Invalid MAL command
References: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub> <4b0c19fa$1@forums-1-dub> <4b0cf88b@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4b0cf88b@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b0d7379@forums-1-dub>
Date: 25 Nov 2009 10:12:09 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259172729 10.22.241.152 (25 Nov 2009 10:12:09 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Nov 2009 10:12:09 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 55
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1460
Article PK: 9436

Hi Shao,

Shao Chan wrote:
> It's 6.2 b254 on the server. The client is 6.7.512
> (MBEntPPCEN_6_7_512.exe).

I'm not sure about the compatibility between 6.2 and 6.7. 6.5 and 6.7
may have better luck. Has this setup worked before?

> We'll be moving off from 6.2 server to 7.0 within the next month or so, but
> we'll always have mismatched clients.

This will be a large problem when moving to 7.0. 7.0 does not support
6.x clients:

http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/mbusiness_anywhere/70/en/html/mba_installen70/install-ig-install-win-upgrade.html

==============
Note

Upgrading to M-Business Server version 7.0 requires all current
M-Business Client versions to be upgraded to version 7.0 at the same
time. Do not proceed with the upgrade of your production M-Business
Server to version 7.0 until you are ready to upgrade your users to
M-Business Client version 7.0.
==============

> In practice, most organisations will source devices gradually and so we will
> always have devices at the start of their life cycle on the latest M-Biz
> client version and devices towards the end of their life cycle on one of the
> older versions. At the moment, we have 6.7 and 7.0 clients.

This is understandable, although many companies will purchase and deploy
device management software to help with automating this task. This would
help keep all devices at current software levels.

> What's the support policy for mismatched versions of client/server?

Due to past product history, this would likely be an answer of "it
depends." There isn't a general formula or rubric that works in all
cases - in some cases it will work just fine, and in other cases it
won't. Version 7 is the first time we have enforced the same version for
the client.

Regards,

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere

iAnywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
iAnywhere Documentation : http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Shao Chan Posted on 2009-11-26 08:46:42.0Z
Reply-To: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
From: "Shao Chan" <nospam@nospam.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general
References: <4b0bf296@forums-1-dub> <4b0c19fa$1@forums-1-dub> <4b0cf88b@forums-1-dub> <4b0d7379@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: Invalid MAL command
Lines: 110
Organization: Civica
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b0e4072$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Nov 2009 00:46:42 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259225202 10.22.241.152 (26 Nov 2009 00:46:42 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Nov 2009 00:46:42 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.mbusinessanywhere.general:1462
Article PK: 17990

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the response.

We've never found any problems synchronising any client with any server
version. They all work except in one case....if you've got a new client
installed and then move to an older client, if syncing to the server
afterwards and the versions don't match, then it will give a mismatch error.
However, a device clean from scratch will not error.

Synchronisation works fine.

I can understand not wanting to support old clients and normally we'd
consider migrating all clients to the newer version, but we've been stung
quite heavily in the past such that no support on tried and tested
combinations is better than supported newer combinations that have probably
never been tested much.

We used to have:
- older devices on the M-Biz 6.2 client on Windows Mobile 5.
- newer devices on M-Biz 6.7 client on Windows Mobile 6.

We made the mistake of upgrading the M-Biz 6.2 PDAs to M-Biz 6.7 and then
realised that the M-Biz 6.7 client crashes on Windows Mobile 5 devices quite
badly.

I would assume that while iAnywhere support M-Biz 6.7 on Windows Mobile 5,
because at the time of iAnywhere's internal testing, greater emphasis was
placed on Windows Mobile 6 as that had been out for a while, then that's why
we experienced the problems we did.

The problem we had was that we had got customers to do a recall of devices
to upgrade the client and then had to ask them to do it a second time round
to roll back.

Given this scenario, we decided that the way forward would be to keep the
PDA on the version that we know works for that device.

We have customers that use device management software, but not all of them
do remote installation and much of this software is very expensive so only
the really large customers consider this option.

Cheers,

Shao

"Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@ianywhere.com> wrote in
message news:4b0d7379@forums-1-dub...
> Hi Shao,
>
> Shao Chan wrote:
>> It's 6.2 b254 on the server. The client is 6.7.512
>> (MBEntPPCEN_6_7_512.exe).
>
> I'm not sure about the compatibility between 6.2 and 6.7. 6.5 and 6.7 may
> have better luck. Has this setup worked before?
>
>> We'll be moving off from 6.2 server to 7.0 within the next month or so,
>> but we'll always have mismatched clients.
>
> This will be a large problem when moving to 7.0. 7.0 does not support 6.x
> clients:
>
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals/mbusiness_anywhere/70/en/html/mba_installen70/install-ig-install-win-upgrade.html
>
> ==============
> Note
>
> Upgrading to M-Business Server version 7.0 requires all current M-Business
> Client versions to be upgraded to version 7.0 at the same time. Do not
> proceed with the upgrade of your production M-Business Server to version
> 7.0 until you are ready to upgrade your users to M-Business Client version
> 7.0.
> ==============
>
>> In practice, most organisations will source devices gradually and so we
>> will always have devices at the start of their life cycle on the latest
>> M-Biz client version and devices towards the end of their life cycle on
>> one of the older versions. At the moment, we have 6.7 and 7.0 clients.
>
> This is understandable, although many companies will purchase and deploy
> device management software to help with automating this task. This would
> help keep all devices at current software levels.
>
>> What's the support policy for mismatched versions of client/server?
>
> Due to past product history, this would likely be an answer of "it
> depends." There isn't a general formula or rubric that works in all
> cases - in some cases it will work just fine, and in other cases it won't.
> Version 7 is the first time we have enforced the same version for the
> client.
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere
>
> iAnywhere Developer Community :
> http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> iAnywhere Documentation :
> http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/product_manuals
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
> http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/