Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASE 15 too slow!

7 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2009-12-23 16:43:29.0Z
RGS Posted on 2009-12-02 00:55:49.0Z
Sender: 59d8.4b15b97e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: RGS
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: ASE 15 too slow!
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 1 Dec 2009 16:55:49 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259715349 10.22.241.41 (1 Dec 2009 16:55:49 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Dec 2009 16:55:49 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 26
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28725
Article PK: 77967

We migrated our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two
weeks ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
transactions and batch processes

Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they are
exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system

I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan between a
machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they are the same
but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is 10 or 100 times
greater

In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER BY
clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4

Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:

- Update statistics
- The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
- Bad managed for DATA CACHE

What I have to review?

Thanks a lot!!!

RGS


Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-12-02 17:43:22.0Z
From: "Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
Lines: 38
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b16a73a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 2 Dec 2009 09:43:22 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259775802 10.22.241.152 (2 Dec 2009 09:43:22 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Dec 2009 09:43:22 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28726
Article PK: 77968

I assume this is your TEST system? Have you reviewed any of the ASE 15.x
migration white papers published by Sybase?

As stated, your problem could be any number of things. I suggest you search
these newsgroups for similar posts about ASE 15 performance.

Just curious, can you post the query plans that you compared between 12.5.4
and 15 that are the same, but produce different IO as you assert?

<RGS> wrote in message news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We migrated our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two
> weeks ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
> transactions and batch processes
>
> Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they are
> exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
>
> I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan between a
> machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they are the same
> but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is 10 or 100 times
> greater
>
> In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER BY
> clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
>
> Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
>
> - Update statistics
> - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
> - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
>
> What I have to review?
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> RGS


Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-12-02 17:45:38.0Z
From: "Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com> <4b16a73a$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
Lines: 44
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3138
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3198
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b16a7c2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 2 Dec 2009 09:45:38 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259775938 10.22.241.152 (2 Dec 2009 09:45:38 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Dec 2009 09:45:38 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28727
Article PK: 77969

http://www.sybase.com/products/databasemanagement/adaptiveserverenterprise/migrate

"Sherlock, Kevin [TeamSybase]" <kevin.sherlock@teamsybase.com> wrote in
message news:4b16a73a$1@forums-1-dub...
>I assume this is your TEST system? Have you reviewed any of the ASE 15.x
>migration white papers published by Sybase?
>
> As stated, your problem could be any number of things. I suggest you
> search these newsgroups for similar posts about ASE 15 performance.
>
> Just curious, can you post the query plans that you compared between
> 12.5.4 and 15 that are the same, but produce different IO as you assert?
>
> <RGS> wrote in message news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> We migrated our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two
>> weeks ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
>> transactions and batch processes
>>
>> Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they are
>> exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
>>
>> I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan between a
>> machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they are the same
>> but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is 10 or 100 times
>> greater
>>
>> In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER BY
>> clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
>>
>> Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
>>
>> - Update statistics
>> - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
>> - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
>>
>> What I have to review?
>>
>> Thanks a lot!!!
>>
>> RGS
>
>


Cory Sane [TeamSybase] Posted on 2009-12-03 05:32:07.0Z
From: "Cory Sane [TeamSybase]" <cory!=sane>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
Lines: 37
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1"; reply-type=original
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Windows Mail 6.0.6002.18005
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.0.6002.18005
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b174d57@forums-1-dub>
Date: 2 Dec 2009 21:32:07 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1259818327 10.22.241.152 (2 Dec 2009 21:32:07 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 2 Dec 2009 21:32:07 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28728
Article PK: 77970

You give us very little detail about the underlying problems.
Are you making use of tools like optdiag?
Are you running Update Statistics or "Update Index Statistics" often?
Are you evaluating information in the MDA tables?
If you are truly using ASE Cluster edition, surely your organization has been working with Sybase for some time.

--
Cory Sane
[TeamSybase]
Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0

"RGS" wrote in message news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com...
> We migrated our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two
> weeks ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
> transactions and batch processes
>
> Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they are
> exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
>
> I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan between a
> machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they are the same
> but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is 10 or 100 times
> greater
>
> In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER BY
> clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
>
> Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
>
> - Update statistics
> - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
> - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
>
> What I have to review?
>
> Thanks a lot!!!
>
> RGS


Qamar Posted on 2009-12-22 23:15:44.0Z
Sender: 22b5.4b3151b9.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Qamar
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4b315320.22d3.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4b174d57@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 22 Dec 2009 15:15:44 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1261523744 10.22.241.41 (22 Dec 2009 15:15:44 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Dec 2009 15:15:44 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28802
Article PK: 78045

if you are using ASE 15.0.3 then turm compatibility mode on
for server to use ASE 12.5.4 optimizer.

> You give us very little detail about the underlying
> problems. Are you making use of tools like optdiag?
> Are you running Update Statistics or "Update Index
> Statistics" often? Are you evaluating information in the
> MDA tables? If you are truly using ASE Cluster edition,
> surely your organization has been working with Sybase for
> some time.
>
> --
> Cory Sane
> [TeamSybase]
> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
> "RGS" wrote in message
> > news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com... We migrated
> > our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two weeks
> > ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
> > transactions and batch processes
> > Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they
> > are exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
> >
> > I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan
> > between a machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they
> > are the same but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is
> > 10 or 100 times greater
> >
> > In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER
> > BY clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
> >
> > Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
> >
> > - Update statistics
> > - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
> > - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
> >
> > What I have to review?
> >
> > Thanks a lot!!!
> >
> > RGS


J Posted on 2009-12-23 16:43:29.0Z
From: jtotally_bogus@sbcglobal.net (J)
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
Reply-To: J@bogusemailAddress.com
Message-ID: <4b32480e.68687767@forums.sybase.com>
References: <4b174d57@forums-1-dub> <4b315320.22d3.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 23 Dec 2009 08:43:29 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1261586609 10.22.241.152 (23 Dec 2009 08:43:29 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Dec 2009 08:43:29 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 55
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28805
Article PK: 78046

On 22 Dec 2009 15:15:44 -0800, Qamar wrote:

He is using ASE 15.0.3 CE which is based on the features and functions
available at the 15.0.3 SMP codeline.

compatibility_mode was not available until the ESD#1 level of code for
SMP so it is not available for CE until the 15.5 release. That release
is scheduled for 1Q10.

Jay

>if you are using ASE 15.0.3 then turm compatibility mode on
>for server to use ASE 12.5.4 optimizer.
>
>
>> You give us very little detail about the underlying
>> problems. Are you making use of tools like optdiag?
>> Are you running Update Statistics or "Update Index
>> Statistics" often? Are you evaluating information in the
>> MDA tables? If you are truly using ASE Cluster edition,
>> surely your organization has been working with Sybase for
>> some time.
>>
>> --
>> Cory Sane
>> [TeamSybase]
>> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
>> "RGS" wrote in message
>> > news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com... We migrated
>> > our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two weeks
>> > ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
>> > transactions and batch processes
>> > Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they
>> > are exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
>> >
>> > I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan
>> > between a machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they
>> > are the same but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is
>> > 10 or 100 times greater
>> >
>> > In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER
>> > BY clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
>> >
>> > Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
>> >
>> > - Update statistics
>> > - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
>> > - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
>> >
>> > What I have to review?
>> >
>> > Thanks a lot!!!
>> >
>> > RGS


Eugene Posted on 2009-12-23 14:53:28.0Z
From: Eugene <ekorolkov@davidsohn.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.23 (Windows/20090812)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: ASE 15 too slow!
References: <4b174d57@forums-1-dub> <4b315320.22d3.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4b315320.22d3.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b322ee8$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Dec 2009 06:53:28 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1261580008 10.22.241.152 (23 Dec 2009 06:53:28 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Dec 2009 06:53:28 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 45
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28804
Article PK: 78047

We got stack trace with that on ESD#1...

Qamar wrote:
> if you are using ASE 15.0.3 then turm compatibility mode on
> for server to use ASE 12.5.4 optimizer.
>
>
>> You give us very little detail about the underlying
>> problems. Are you making use of tools like optdiag?
>> Are you running Update Statistics or "Update Index
>> Statistics" often? Are you evaluating information in the
>> MDA tables? If you are truly using ASE Cluster edition,
>> surely your organization has been working with Sybase for
>> some time.
>>
>> --
>> Cory Sane
>> [TeamSybase]
>> Certified Sybase Associate DBA for ASE 15.0
>> "RGS" wrote in message
>>> news:4b15bb15.5a45.1681692777@sybase.com... We migrated
>>> our system from ASE 12.5.4 to ASE 15 Cluster two weeks
>>> ago but now, the system is very slow either on-line
>>> transactions and batch processes
>>> Objects and data were migrated with backup's then, they
>>> are exactly to ASE 12.5.4 old system
>>>
>>> I take a slow query, then I compare the show plan
>>> between a machine with ASE 15 and ASE 12.5.4 and they
>>> are the same but, the I/O es different, in ASE 15 it is
>>> 10 or 100 times greater
>>>
>>> In our sistem we turn on a FLAG for simulate the ORDER
>>> BY clausule in the same way that ASE 12.5.4
>>>
>>> Why ASE 15 system is very slower?:
>>>
>>> - Update statistics
>>> - The FLAG for ASE 12.5.4 ORDER BY
>>> - Bad managed for DATA CACHE
>>>
>>> What I have to review?
>>>
>>> Thanks a lot!!!
>>>
>>> RGS