Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Disabling free-space counting

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-09-17 05:05:06.0Z
Rajasekhar Reddy Posted on 2010-09-16 01:09:21.0Z
Sender: 49a6.4c916cc5.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rajasekhar Reddy
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Disabling free-space counting
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Sep 2010 18:09:21 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284599361 10.22.241.41 (15 Sep 2010 18:09:21 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2010 18:09:21 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 11
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29562
Article PK: 78794

Hi,

I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing it ?
Not drop and re-create threshold. I think sp_dboption "no
free space acctg" is also not a good ooption.

Any other ways of doing it ?

Thanks,
Raj


ET Posted on 2010-09-16 06:50:11.0Z
Sender: bd9.4c8e1855.1804289383@sybase.com
From: ET
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Disabling free-space counting
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4c91be23.4e0e.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 15 Sep 2010 23:50:11 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284619811 10.22.241.41 (15 Sep 2010 23:50:11 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 15 Sep 2010 23:50:11 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 19
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29563
Article PK: 78793

Hello,

disabling free space accounting is valid for data segments
only. May be you can increase the threshold to a big value
and reduce it after you maintenance.

Emmanuel

> Hi,
>
> I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
> maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing it
> ? Not drop and re-create threshold. I think sp_dboption
> "no free space acctg" is also not a good ooption.
>
> Any other ways of doing it ?
>
> Thanks,
> Raj


Carl Kayser Posted on 2010-09-16 10:04:09.0Z
From: "Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com> <4c91be23.4e0e.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Disabling free-space counting
Lines: 28
Organization: BLS
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5931
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5931
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c91eb99$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Sep 2010 03:04:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284631449 10.22.241.152 (16 Sep 2010 03:04:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2010 03:04:09 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29565
Article PK: 78796


<ET> wrote in message news:4c91be23.4e0e.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hello,
>
> disabling free space accounting is valid for data segments
> only. May be you can increase the threshold to a big value
> and reduce it after you maintenance.
>

I think that you mean the reverse. Set the value as close to the lct value
as possible via sp_modifythreshold and reset it after the maintenence is
finsihed. But I think that Mark's solutions are better.

> Emmanuel
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
>> maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing it
>> ? Not drop and re-create threshold. I think sp_dboption
>> "no free space acctg" is also not a good ooption.
>>
>> Any other ways of doing it ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Raj


ET Posted on 2010-09-16 11:52:40.0Z
From: ET <ET>
Reply-To: ET
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100825 Thunderbird/3.1.3
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Disabling free-space counting
References: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com> <4c91be23.4e0e.1681692777@sybase.com> <4c91eb99$1@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4c91eb99$1@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c920508$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Sep 2010 04:52:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284637960 10.22.241.152 (16 Sep 2010 04:52:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2010 04:52:40 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 35
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29566
Article PK: 78797

Hello,

I meant enabling this option stops free space monitoring in data
segments. Log segment stays monitored. Sorry if it was unclear.

Emmanuel

Le 16/09/2010 12:04, Carl Kayser a écrit :

> <ET> wrote in message news:4c91be23.4e0e.1681692777@sybase.com...
>> Hello,
>>
>> disabling free space accounting is valid for data segments
>> only. May be you can increase the threshold to a big value
>> and reduce it after you maintenance.
>>
>
> I think that you mean the reverse. Set the value as close to the lct value
> as possible via sp_modifythreshold and reset it after the maintenence is
> finsihed. But I think that Mark's solutions are better.
>
>> Emmanuel
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
>>> maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing it
>>> ? Not drop and re-create threshold. I think sp_dboption
>>> "no free space acctg" is also not a good ooption.
>>>
>>> Any other ways of doing it ?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Raj
>
>


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2010-09-16 08:25:14.0Z
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 1.5.0.10 (Windows/20070221)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Disabling free-space counting
References: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4c916e40.49c2.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c91d46a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 16 Sep 2010 01:25:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284625514 10.22.241.152 (16 Sep 2010 01:25:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2010 01:25:14 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 25
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29564
Article PK: 78795

Instead of dropping or modifying your thresholds, consider adding logic to your threshold proc(s) which take the desired
action (eg, do nothing) when a particular situation is present, eg:

- check a table for a enable/disable flag; idea would be to set this flag to 'disable' as initial part of your maint
job, then set back to 'enable' at end of maint job; threshold proc would then do nothing if it find the flag is set to
'disable'

- hard code the threshold procedure to do nothing if it sees the maint job's login connected; alternatively store this
info in a table

- hard code the threshold procedure to do nothing during certain time frames (eg, all day Sat and first half of Sunday);
alternatively store this info in a table

Rajasekhar Reddy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
> maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing it ?
> Not drop and re-create threshold. I think sp_dboption "no
> free space acctg" is also not a good ooption.
>
> Any other ways of doing it ?
>
> Thanks,
> Raj


Rajasekhar Reddy Posted on 2010-09-17 05:05:06.0Z
Sender: 49a6.4c916cc5.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Rajasekhar Reddy
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Disabling free-space counting
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4c92f702.6362.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4c91d46a$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 16 Sep 2010 22:05:06 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1284699906 10.22.241.41 (16 Sep 2010 22:05:06 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 16 Sep 2010 22:05:06 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 33
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29570
Article PK: 78801

Thanks Mark.

> Instead of dropping or modifying your thresholds, consider
> adding logic to your threshold proc(s) which take the
> desired action (eg, do nothing) when a particular
> situation is present, eg:
>
> - check a table for a enable/disable flag; idea would be
> to set this flag to 'disable' as initial part of your
> maint job, then set back to 'enable' at end of maint job;
> threshold proc would then do nothing if it find the flag
> is set to 'disable'
>
> - hard code the threshold procedure to do nothing if it
> sees the maint job's login connected; alternatively store
> this info in a table
>
> - hard code the threshold procedure to do nothing during
> certain time frames (eg, all day Sat and first half of
> Sunday); alternatively store this info in a table
>
> Rajasekhar Reddy wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I would need to disable my thresholds when Weekend
> > maintenance job runs. Is there any better way of doing
> > it ? Not drop and re-create threshold. I think
> > sp_dboption "no free space acctg" is also not a good
> > ooption.
> > Any other ways of doing it ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Raj