Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Cross training to Sybase from Microsoft SQL Server

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-09-23 18:34:49.0Z
Mark Allison Posted on 2010-09-21 18:37:18.0Z
From: Mark Allison <home@markallison.no.tinned.meat.co.uk>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100825 Thunderbird/3.1.3
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Cross training to Sybase from Microsoft SQL Server
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c98fb5e@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Sep 2010 11:37:18 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285094238 10.22.241.152 (21 Sep 2010 11:37:18 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Sep 2010 11:37:18 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 20
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29583
Article PK: 78814

Hi there,

I started my DBA career on Sybase System 10 on OS/2. I then moved to
Microsoft SQL Server v4.21 and 6.0 in 1996 and have stayed on
Microsoft SQL Server for the last 14 years or so. I want to cross-
train onto Sybase ASE 15/15.5 - can you tell me the best place to
start? Are there any documents for skilled DBAs/devleopers on other
RDBMSs that want to cross-train to Sybase?

Where are the best Sybase communities on the internet? I am compiling
a list of common tasks that I do on Microsoft SQL Server and want to
learn how to do them on Sybase.

I would love to do a sybase version of this:
http://www.learnitfirst.com/Course/157/SQL-Server-2008-DBA.aspx and
really like this community for Microsoft SQL Server:
http://www.sqlservercentral.com/

Thanks,
Mark.


Rob V [ Sybase ] Posted on 2010-09-21 20:56:05.0Z
From: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
Reply-To: robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
Organization: Sypron BV / TeamSybase / Sybase
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Thunderbird/3.1.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Cross training to Sybase from Microsoft SQL Server
References: <4c98fb5e@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4c98fb5e@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c991be5@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Sep 2010 13:56:05 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285102565 10.22.241.152 (21 Sep 2010 13:56:05 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Sep 2010 13:56:05 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 53
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29584
Article PK: 78813


On 21-Sep-2010 20:37, Mark Allison wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I started my DBA career on Sybase System 10 on OS/2. I then moved to
> Microsoft SQL Server v4.21 and 6.0 in 1996 and have stayed on
> Microsoft SQL Server for the last 14 years or so. I want to cross-
> train onto Sybase ASE 15/15.5 - can you tell me the best place to
> start? Are there any documents for skilled DBAs/devleopers on other
> RDBMSs that want to cross-train to Sybase?
>
> Where are the best Sybase communities on the internet? I am compiling
> a list of common tasks that I do on Microsoft SQL Server and want to
> learn how to do them on Sybase.
>
> I would love to do a sybase version of this:
> http://www.learnitfirst.com/Course/157/SQL-Server-2008-DBA.aspx and
> really like this community for Microsoft SQL Server:
> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/
>
> Thanks,
> Mark.

I would recommend going through the T-SQL User's Guide and the System
Admin Guide in the ASE documentation set:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.help.ase.15.5/title.htm
.
You could also work through the "new features guide" for the various
past versions (all versions since 12.5.4 are in the same document)
since it has focus on newly introduced features so that might be handy:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01165.1550/doc/html/title.html
.

HTH,

Rob V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks& Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

mailto:rob@YOUR.SPAM.sypron.nl.NOT.FOR.ME
http://www.sypron.nl
Sypron B.V., Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce 27138666
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Rob V [ Sybase ] Posted on 2010-09-21 20:57:11.0Z
From: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
Reply-To: robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
Organization: Sypron BV / TeamSybase / Sybase
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Thunderbird/3.1.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Cross training to Sybase from Microsoft SQL Server
References: <4c98fb5e@forums-1-dub> <4c991be5@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4c991be5@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c991c27@forums-1-dub>
Date: 21 Sep 2010 13:57:11 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285102631 10.22.241.152 (21 Sep 2010 13:57:11 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 21 Sep 2010 13:57:11 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 39
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29585
Article PK: 78815


On 21-Sep-2010 22:56, Rob V [ Sybase ] wrote:
> On 21-Sep-2010 20:37, Mark Allison wrote:
>> Hi there,
>>
>> I started my DBA career on Sybase System 10 on OS/2. I then moved to
>> Microsoft SQL Server v4.21 and 6.0 in 1996 and have stayed on
>> Microsoft SQL Server for the last 14 years or so. I want to cross-
>> train onto Sybase ASE 15/15.5 - can you tell me the best place to
>> start? Are there any documents for skilled DBAs/devleopers on other
>> RDBMSs that want to cross-train to Sybase?
>>
>> Where are the best Sybase communities on the internet? I am compiling
>> a list of common tasks that I do on Microsoft SQL Server and want to
>> learn how to do them on Sybase.
>>
>> I would love to do a sybase version of this:
>> http://www.learnitfirst.com/Course/157/SQL-Server-2008-DBA.aspx and
>> really like this community for Microsoft SQL Server:
>> http://www.sqlservercentral.com/
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Mark.
>
>
> I would recommend going through the T-SQL User's Guide and the System
> Admin Guide in the ASE documentation set:
> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.help.ase.15.5/title.htm
> .
> You could also work through the "new features guide" for the various
> past versions (all versions since 12.5.4 are in the same document)
> since it has focus on newly introduced features so that might be
> handy:
> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01165.1550/doc/html/title.html
> .

And I forgot to mention: pick up a free copy of the ASE Express Edition
or Developer Edition. Directions are at www.sypron.nl/ase_free .

R.


Mark Allison Posted on 2010-09-23 18:34:49.0Z
From: Mark Allison <home@markallison.no.tinned.meat.co.uk>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 6.1; en-GB; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Thunderbird/3.1.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Cross training to Sybase from Microsoft SQL Server
References: <4c98fb5e@forums-1-dub> <4c991be5@forums-1-dub> <4c991c27@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4c991c27@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4c9b9dc9$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 23 Sep 2010 11:34:49 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285266889 10.22.241.152 (23 Sep 2010 11:34:49 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2010 11:34:49 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 17
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29600
Article PK: 78830


>> I would recommend going through the T-SQL User's Guide and the System
>> Admin Guide in the ASE documentation set:
>> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.help.ase.15.5/title.htm
>> .
>> You could also work through the "new features guide" for the various
>> past versions (all versions since 12.5.4 are in the same document)
>> since it has focus on newly introduced features so that might be
>> handy:
>> http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.infocenter.dc01165.1550/doc/html/title.html
>> .
>
> And I forgot to mention: pick up a free copy of the ASE Express Edition
> or Developer Edition. Directions are at www.sypron.nl/ase_free .
>
> R.

Thanks Rob I will work my way through those things.