Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Sybase ASE 15.5 compatible with windows vista?

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-10-01 04:28:13.0Z
Jesse Hersch Posted on 2010-09-26 01:40:04.0Z
Sender: 69ae.4c9e923f.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jesse Hersch
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Sybase ASE 15.5 compatible with windows vista?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4c9ea474.6aa2.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 25 Sep 2010 18:40:04 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285465204 10.22.241.41 (25 Sep 2010 18:40:04 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Sep 2010 18:40:04 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 27
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29605
Article PK: 78835

Hello,

today I downloaded and installed the developer version of
ASE 15.5. It installed ok, but when I go to start the
SQLServer service in windows service control manager, it
will not start. I get this in the windows event log:

Faulting application sqlsrvr.exe, version 0.0.0.0, time
stamp 0x4af89873, faulting module libsybunic.dll, version
6.0.6002.18005, time stamp 0x49e03821, exception code
0xc0000135, fault offset 0x00009eed, process id 0xde0,
application start time 0x01cb5d1a3f823b2e.

I did find some nonfatal errors in the ase.log file:

Status: ERROR
Additional Notes: ERROR -
WindowsEnvironmentVariableAction.updateEnv() : can not set
env PATH because value exceed max length.

Could that cause the service not to start? seems unlikely
that the service would rely on %PATH% for anything - that
would be a fragile design indeed!

Thanks,

Jesse Hersch


Jesse Hersch Posted on 2010-09-26 04:15:51.0Z
Sender: 6c52.4c9ec183.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jesse Hersch
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Sybase ASE 15.5 compatible with windows vista?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4c9ec8f7.6cd2.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4c9ea474.6aa2.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 25 Sep 2010 21:15:51 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285474551 10.22.241.41 (25 Sep 2010 21:15:51 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Sep 2010 21:15:51 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 49
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29606
Article PK: 78833

Update on this - just to see if PATH indeed was the root
cause here, I tried removing a bunch of chaff from my PATH
env var, uninstalling ASE, then reinstalling. This time the
install succeeded with no errors or warnings. From the
ASE_Suite.log file:

Installation: Successful.
98 Successes
0 Warnings
0 NonFatalErrors
0 FatalErrors

Then tried again to start the service, but got this: "The
Sybase SQLServer _ SPRING service on Local Computer started
and then stopped."

In the windows event log I find these:

40078: basis_dlock: file 'G:\Sybase\data\master.dat' already
in use by an ASE
110020: kiconfig: read of config block failed
40010: kdconfig: unable to read primary master device

This makes me think there must be an instance of
sqlservr.exe running somewhere left over from the install
phase which has master.dat locked. Sure enough there is.

So I rebooted, and then the service starts without errors!
yay! The installer didn't tell me I needed to reboot before
starting ASE service though - seems like an oversight.

As a server-side programmer with many yrs experience, I have
to say I am very surprised that the proper functioning of
ASE seems to depend on the PATH environment variable.
That's a very fragile design if that is in fact the design.

For completeness, here's what ASE added to the PATH:

G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\jobscheduler\bin;
G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\dll;
G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\bin;
G:\Sybase\DBISQL\bin;
G:\Sybase\DataAccess\ADONET\dll;
G:\Sybase\DataAccess\ODBC\dll;
G:\Sybase\DataAccess\OLEDB\dll;G:\Sybase\UAF-2_5\bin;
G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\lib3p;
G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\dll;G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\bin;

Jesse


ET Posted on 2010-09-27 19:01:16.0Z
From: ET <ET>
Reply-To: ET
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; fr; rv:1.9.2.9) Gecko/20100915 Thunderbird/3.1.4
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Sybase ASE 15.5 compatible with windows vista?
References: <4c9ea474.6aa2.1681692777@sybase.com> <4c9ec8f7.6cd2.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4c9ec8f7.6cd2.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4ca0e9fc$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 Sep 2010 12:01:16 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285614076 10.22.241.152 (27 Sep 2010 12:01:16 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 Sep 2010 12:01:16 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 71
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29612
Article PK: 78843

Hi Jesse

> 40078: basis_dlock: file 'G:\Sybase\data\master.dat' already

> in use by an ASE
> 110020: kiconfig: read of config block failed
> 40010: kdconfig: unable to read primary master device

----> This generally means ASE process is already running. A simple
kill of the sqlsrvr.exe could have done the trick, without reboot.

> As a server-side programmer with many yrs experience, I have
> to say I am very surprised that the proper functioning of
> ASE seems to depend on the PATH environment variable.
> That's a very fragile design if that is in fact the des

----> Many programs rely on PATH, in what this is "weak point". Would
it be better in registry ?

Regards
Emmanuel

Le 26/09/2010 06:15, Jesse Hersch a écrit :
> Update on this - just to see if PATH indeed was the root
> cause here, I tried removing a bunch of chaff from my PATH
> env var, uninstalling ASE, then reinstalling. This time the
> install succeeded with no errors or warnings. From the
> ASE_Suite.log file:
>
> Installation: Successful.
> 98 Successes
> 0 Warnings
> 0 NonFatalErrors
> 0 FatalErrors
>
> Then tried again to start the service, but got this: "The
> Sybase SQLServer _ SPRING service on Local Computer started
> and then stopped."
>
> In the windows event log I find these:
>
> 40078: basis_dlock: file 'G:\Sybase\data\master.dat' already
> in use by an ASE
> 110020: kiconfig: read of config block failed
> 40010: kdconfig: unable to read primary master device
>
> This makes me think there must be an instance of
> sqlservr.exe running somewhere left over from the install
> phase which has master.dat locked. Sure enough there is.
>
> So I rebooted, and then the service starts without errors!
> yay! The installer didn't tell me I needed to reboot before
> starting ASE service though - seems like an oversight.
>
> As a server-side programmer with many yrs experience, I have
> to say I am very surprised that the proper functioning of
> ASE seems to depend on the PATH environment variable.
> That's a very fragile design if that is in fact the design.
>
> For completeness, here's what ASE added to the PATH:
>
> G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\jobscheduler\bin;
> G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\dll;
> G:\Sybase\ASE-15_0\bin;
> G:\Sybase\DBISQL\bin;
> G:\Sybase\DataAccess\ADONET\dll;
> G:\Sybase\DataAccess\ODBC\dll;
> G:\Sybase\DataAccess\OLEDB\dll;G:\Sybase\UAF-2_5\bin;
> G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\lib3p;
> G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\dll;G:\Sybase\OCS-15_0\bin;
>
> Jesse


Jesse Hersch Posted on 2010-10-01 04:28:13.0Z
Sender: 13a0.4ca56042.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jesse Hersch
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: Sybase ASE 15.5 compatible with windows vista?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4ca5635d.13dd.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4ca0e9fc$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Sep 2010 21:28:13 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1285907293 10.22.241.41 (30 Sep 2010 21:28:13 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Sep 2010 21:28:13 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 16
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29622
Article PK: 78850


> ----> Many programs rely on PATH, in what this is "weak
> point". Would it be better in registry ?

Yes. creating your own keys to store your own data would be
far better. Users tend to muck with their PATH. In so
doing they could easily break ASE.

At a minimum, the ASE installer should have failed hard
(instead of logging a non-fatal error) if it's not able to
append to the PATH var since it's relying on it to work.
The server is completely broken if the PATH is set wrong, so
that's a fatal error in my book.

I can see adding the locations to client tools like isql etc
to the path for convenience to the user. But having a
server component rely on PATH? No way. my 2 cents.