Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Sevrer Enterprise

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2011-02-18 12:07:42.0Z
Robin Posted on 2011-02-17 17:17:53.0Z
Sender: 794f.4d5c0f52.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Robin
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Sevrer Enterprise
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4d5d5841.3ab0.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 17 Feb 2011 09:17:53 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1297963073 10.22.241.41 (17 Feb 2011 09:17:53 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Feb 2011 09:17:53 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 16
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29984
Article PK: 79213

Folks,

We've a systme using SQL Anywhere and replication
functionality to synchronise with external clients. Due to
some reasons, our management decided change these client app
to web and connect directly to the central database. We are
planning to change the database SQL Anywhere to Adaptive
Server Enterprise since we don't need replication.

Is there any compatibility issues between SQL Anywhere and
ASE? Is there anything used in SQL anywhere(other than
replication) which will not work in ASE? Any documents,
links etc.. Please advice.

Thanks in advance
Robin


Rob V [ Sybase ] Posted on 2011-02-17 18:47:03.0Z
From: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
Reply-To: robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
Organization: Sypron BV / TeamSybase / Sybase
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Sevrer Enterprise
References: <4d5d5841.3ab0.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4d5d5841.3ab0.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4d5d6d27$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Feb 2011 10:47:03 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1297968423 10.22.241.152 (17 Feb 2011 10:47:03 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Feb 2011 10:47:03 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 47
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29985
Article PK: 79214


On 17-Feb-2011 18:17, Robin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> We've a systme using SQL Anywhere and replication
> functionality to synchronise with external clients. Due to
> some reasons, our management decided change these client app
> to web and connect directly to the central database. We are
> planning to change the database SQL Anywhere to Adaptive
> Server Enterprise since we don't need replication.
>
> Is there any compatibility issues between SQL Anywhere and
> ASE? Is there anything used in SQL anywhere(other than
> replication) which will not work in ASE? Any documents,
> links etc.. Please advice.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Robin

Well, "it depends"...
SQL Anywhere supports both Transact SQL (ASE's SQL variant) as well as
Watcom SQL (SQLA's native SQL).
If your SQLA app uses T-SQL, it'll most likely run well in ASE.
But Watcom syntax has many aspects which are different from T-SQL, and
you'd need to rewrite.
I don't actually know if there is a document outlining the issues when
migrating from SQLA to ASE. The best I'm aware of is a chapter in the
SQLA documentation:
http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/index.jsp?topic=/com.sybase.help.sqlanywhere.11.0.1/dbusage_en11/ug-part-dialects.html

HTH,

Rob V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks& Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands | Chamber of Commerce 27138666
-----------------------------------------------------------------


Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase] Posted on 2011-02-18 04:06:49.0Z
From: "Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase]" <negandhi.manish.nospam@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4d5d5841.3ab0.1681692777@sybase.com> <4d5d6d27$1@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Sevrer Enterprise
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.2180
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Response
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2180
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4d5df059@forums-1-dub>
Date: 17 Feb 2011 20:06:49 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1298002009 10.22.241.152 (17 Feb 2011 20:06:49 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 17 Feb 2011 20:06:49 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29987
Article PK: 79216


> On 17-Feb-2011 18:17, Robin wrote:
>> Folks,
>>
>> We've a systme using SQL Anywhere and replication
>> functionality to synchronise with external clients. Due to
>> some reasons, our management decided change these client app
>> to web and connect directly to the central database. We are
>> planning to change the database SQL Anywhere to Adaptive
>> Server Enterprise since we don't need replication.
>>
>> Is there any compatibility issues between SQL Anywhere and
>> ASE? Is there anything used in SQL anywhere(other than
>> replication) which will not work in ASE? Any documents,
>> links etc.. Please advice.
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>> Robin
>

There is a good write up for ASA to ASE migration in the below given link
http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=20227


-HTH
Manish Negandhi
[TeamSybase]


Rob V [ Sybase ] Posted on 2011-02-18 12:07:42.0Z
Message-ID: <4D5E610A.4040207@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
From: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
Reply-To: robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY
Organization: Sypron BV / TeamSybase / Sybase
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
To: "Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase]" <negandhi.manish.nospam@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: SQL Anywhere to Adaptive Sevrer Enterprise
References: <4d5d5841.3ab0.1681692777@sybase.com> <4d5d6d27$1@forums-1-dub> <4d5df059@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <4d5df059@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 18 Feb 2011 04:07:42 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1298030862 10.22.241.152 (18 Feb 2011 04:07:42 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 18 Feb 2011 04:07:42 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 46
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:29988
Article PK: 79217


On 18-Feb-2011 05:06, Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase] wrote:
>> On 17-Feb-2011 18:17, Robin wrote:
>>> Folks,
>>>
>>> We've a systme using SQL Anywhere and replication
>>> functionality to synchronise with external clients. Due to
>>> some reasons, our management decided change these client app
>>> to web and connect directly to the central database. We are
>>> planning to change the database SQL Anywhere to Adaptive
>>> Server Enterprise since we don't need replication.
>>>
>>> Is there any compatibility issues between SQL Anywhere and
>>> ASE? Is there anything used in SQL anywhere(other than
>>> replication) which will not work in ASE? Any documents,
>>> links etc.. Please advice.
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance
>>> Robin
> There is a good write up for ASA to ASE migration in the below given link
> http://www.sybase.com/detail?id=20227
>
>
> -HTH
> Manish Negandhi
> [TeamSybase]
>

That's a good one.... only caveat is that it is from 1998, so a *lot*
has changed in SQL Anywhere ever since.

Rob V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks& Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition)
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

rob@NO.SPAM.sypron.nl | www.sypron.nl | Twitter: @rob_verschoor
Sypron B.V., The Netherlands | Chamber of Commerce 27138666
-----------------------------------------------------------------