Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

T-SQL issue

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2011-04-01 08:01:11.0Z
Alexander Posted on 2011-03-30 22:11:43.0Z
Sender: 69d8.4d939fcd.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Alexander
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: T-SQL issue
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4d93aa9f.6b3d.1681692777@sybase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 30 Mar 2011 14:11:43 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1301523103 10.22.241.41 (30 Mar 2011 14:11:43 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 30 Mar 2011 14:11:43 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 24
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30085
Article PK: 79314

Hello everybody!
Accidentally i've found this artical
(http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa196318(v=sql.80).aspx).
It's about outter joins in MS SQL Server 2000. "In earlier
versions of Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000, left and right
outer join conditions were specified in the WHERE clause
using the *= and =* operators. In some cases, this
syntax results in an ambiguous query that can be interpreted
in more than one way. SQL-92 compliant outer joins are
specified in the FROM clause and do not result in this
ambiguity. Because the SQL-92 syntax is more precise,
detailed information about using the old Transact-SQL outer
join syntax in the WHERE clause is not included with this
release. The syntax may not be supported in a future version
of SQL Server. Any statements using the Transact-SQL outer
joins should be changed to use the SQL-92 syntax.

The SQL-92 standard does support the specification of inner
joins in either the FROM or WHERE clause. Inner joins
specified in the WHERE clause do not have the same problems
with ambiguity as the Transact-SQL outer join syntax."
As i know MS SQL Server is based on Sybase SQL Server. So,
is there any possibility, that Sybase has same problems with
outter joins?


Bret Halford Posted on 2011-03-31 15:21:37.0Z
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Thunderbird/3.1.9
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: T-SQL issue
References: <4d93aa9f.6b3d.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4d93aa9f.6b3d.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=windows-1252; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4d949c01$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Mar 2011 07:21:37 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1301584897 10.22.241.152 (31 Mar 2011 07:21:37 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Mar 2011 07:21:37 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 34
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30086
Article PK: 79315


On 3/30/2011 4:11 PM, Alexander wrote:
> Hello everybody!
> Accidentally i've found this artical
> (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa196318(v=sql.80).aspx).
> It's about outter joins in MS SQL Server 2000. "In earlier
> versions of Microsoft® SQL Server™ 2000, left and right
> outer join conditions were specified in the WHERE clause
> using the *= and =* operators. In some cases, this
> syntax results in an ambiguous query that can be interpreted
> in more than one way. SQL-92 compliant outer joins are
> specified in the FROM clause and do not result in this
> ambiguity. Because the SQL-92 syntax is more precise,
> detailed information about using the old Transact-SQL outer
> join syntax in the WHERE clause is not included with this
> release. The syntax may not be supported in a future version
> of SQL Server. Any statements using the Transact-SQL outer
> joins should be changed to use the SQL-92 syntax.
>
> The SQL-92 standard does support the specification of inner
> joins in either the FROM or WHERE clause. Inner joins
> specified in the WHERE clause do not have the same problems
> with ambiguity as the Transact-SQL outer join syntax."
> As i know MS SQL Server is based on Sybase SQL Server. So,
> is there any possibility, that Sybase has same problems with
> outter joins?

Adaptive Server does have the same issue with the *= and =*
syntax resulting in ambiguous queries. ANSI joins (the FROM
clause version) resolve the ambiguity and have been available
since version ASE version 12.0. I recommend using the ANSI
Join syntax.

http://infocenter.sybase.com/help/topic/com.sybase.dc37429_1251/html/whatsnew/CHDCHBCF.htm


Alexander Posted on 2011-03-31 19:34:50.0Z
Sender: 182d.4d94d395.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Alexander
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: T-SQL issue
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4d94d759.18c0.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4d949c01$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 31 Mar 2011 11:34:50 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1301600090 10.22.241.41 (31 Mar 2011 11:34:50 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Mar 2011 11:34:50 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 2
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30088
Article PK: 79317

Thank you for answer, Bret! Does this issue still exists in
new versions of ASE 15 and 15.5?


Bret Halford Posted on 2011-03-31 21:11:54.0Z
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.15) Gecko/20110303 Thunderbird/3.1.9
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: T-SQL issue
References: <4d949c01$1@forums-1-dub> <4d94d759.18c0.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4d94d759.18c0.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4d94ee1a$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 31 Mar 2011 13:11:54 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1301605914 10.22.241.152 (31 Mar 2011 13:11:54 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 31 Mar 2011 13:11:54 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 11
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30089
Article PK: 79318


On 3/31/2011 1:34 PM, Alexander wrote:
> Thank you for answer, Bret! Does this issue still exists in
> new versions of ASE 15 and 15.5?

Yes, I think it is a fundamental issue with the syntax,
so the issue would exist until the syntax is no longer
supported - something that is unlikely to happen for a long time
due to the amount of existing user code out there.

-bret


Alexander Posted on 2011-04-01 08:01:11.0Z
Sender: 2cbd.4d958604.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Alexander
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: T-SQL issue
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4d958647.2cc7.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4d94ee1a$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 1 Apr 2011 00:01:11 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1301644871 10.22.241.41 (1 Apr 2011 00:01:11 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Apr 2011 00:01:11 -0800, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 14
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30090
Article PK: 79319


> On 3/31/2011 1:34 PM, Alexander wrote:
> > Thank you for answer, Bret! Does this issue still exists
> > in new versions of ASE 15 and 15.5?
>
> Yes, I think it is a fundamental issue with the syntax,
> so the issue would exist until the syntax is no longer
> supported - something that is unlikely to happen for a
> long time due to the amount of existing user code out
> there.
>
> -bret
>

Thanks a lot!