Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

High level HA Cluster Questions from a Newbie

4 posts in Cluster Last posting was on 2011-08-12 15:28:24.0Z
Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2011-08-10 17:35:15.0Z
Sender: 7dd8.4e42bf18.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.cluster
Subject: High level HA Cluster Questions from a Newbie
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e42c153.7eb8.1681692777@sybase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 10 Aug 2011 10:35:15 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1312997715 10.22.241.41 (10 Aug 2011 10:35:15 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Aug 2011 10:35:15 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 37
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.cluster:229
Article PK: 48509

Greetings,

I was with a client a few days ago and the following
questions came up with regards to Sybase HA CE.

First, our asumptions:

1. Two nodes A and B and two ASE servers (both in up and
running)
2. Independent set of disks for each node (not necessary but
possible).
3. Shared disks for both nodes. Where the database(s)
reside.
4. One database residing on the shared disks.
5. In the case of a crash of node A, node B, running,
onlines
the shared disk, and the running ASE engine on node B,
onlines the shared database. All of this, automatically?

Second, my questions:

1. It sounds like the disk that is shared between nodes A
and B
is is a single point of failure. What can be done to
ensure
it´s availability and is it part of Sybase ASE HA CE?

The customer is considering Oracle RAC, as well as pure
hardware
mirroring at a distance of 10K using fiber optics.
Apparently, seconds to failover.

Thank you for your time and help.

Jean-Pierre

P.S. Sounds like the good old days. LOL


Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2011-08-11 15:06:23.0Z
Sender: 6822.4e43ee12.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.cluster
Subject: Re: High level HA Cluster Questions from a Newbie
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e43efef.68ab.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4e42c153.7eb8.1681692777@sybase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="ISO-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 11 Aug 2011 08:06:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1313075183 10.22.241.41 (11 Aug 2011 08:06:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Aug 2011 08:06:23 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.cluster:230
Article PK: 48505

The question remains the same. I am just writting to correct
the
product name. It is ASE 15.5 CE (cluster Edition)

> Greetings,
>
> I was with a client a few days ago and the following
> questions came up with regards to Sybase HA CE.
>
> First, our asumptions:
>
> 1. Two nodes A and B and two ASE servers (both in up and
> running)
> 2. Independent set of disks for each node (not necessary
> but
> possible).
> 3. Shared disks for both nodes. Where the database(s)
> reside.
> 4. One database residing on the shared disks.
> 5. In the case of a crash of node A, node B, running,
> onlines
> the shared disk, and the running ASE engine on node B,
> onlines the shared database. All of this,
> automatically?
>
> Second, my questions:
>
> 1. It sounds like the disk that is shared between nodes A
> and B
> is is a single point of failure. What can be done to
> ensure
> it´s availability and is it part of Sybase ASE HA CE?
>
> The customer is considering Oracle RAC, as well as pure
> hardware
> mirroring at a distance of 10K using fiber optics.
> Apparently, seconds to failover.
>
> Thank you for your time and help.
>
> Jean-Pierre
>
> P.S. Sounds like the good old days. LOL


J Posted on 2011-08-11 18:44:09.0Z
From: jtotally_bogus@sbcglobal.net (J)
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.cluster
Subject: Re: High level HA Cluster Questions from a Newbie
Reply-To: J@bogusemailAddress.com
Message-ID: <4e442261.1195309562@forums.sybase.com>
References: <4e42c153.7eb8.1681692777@sybase.com> <4e43efef.68ab.1681692777@sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Free Agent 1.21/32.243
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 11 Aug 2011 11:44:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1313088249 10.22.241.152 (11 Aug 2011 11:44:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 11 Aug 2011 11:44:09 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 55
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.cluster:231
Article PK: 48507

On 11 Aug 2011 08:06:23 -0700, Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:

With ASE CE the user databases are all shared except for instance/node
specific temporary databases.

SAN does not have to be a single point of failure as multiple
HBA/multipathing , secondary storage controllers and RAID/mirroring
are be possible.

Jay

>The question remains the same. I am just writting to correct
>the
>product name. It is ASE 15.5 CE (cluster Edition)
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>> I was with a client a few days ago and the following
>> questions came up with regards to Sybase HA CE.
>>
>> First, our asumptions:
>>
>> 1. Two nodes A and B and two ASE servers (both in up and
>> running)
>> 2. Independent set of disks for each node (not necessary
>> but
>> possible).
>> 3. Shared disks for both nodes. Where the database(s)
>> reside.
>> 4. One database residing on the shared disks.
>> 5. In the case of a crash of node A, node B, running,
>> onlines
>> the shared disk, and the running ASE engine on node B,
>> onlines the shared database. All of this,
>> automatically?
>>
>> Second, my questions:
>>
>> 1. It sounds like the disk that is shared between nodes A
>> and B
>> is is a single point of failure. What can be done to
>> ensure
>> it=b4s availability and is it part of Sybase ASE HA CE?
>>
>> The customer is considering Oracle RAC, as well as pure
>> hardware
>> mirroring at a distance of 10K using fiber optics.
>> Apparently, seconds to failover.
>>
>> Thank you for your time and help.
>>
>> Jean-Pierre
>>
>> P.S. Sounds like the good old days. LOL


Jean-Pierre Dareys Posted on 2011-08-12 15:28:24.0Z
Sender: 6567.4e454581.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Jean-Pierre Dareys
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.cluster
Subject: Re: High level HA Cluster Questions from a Newbie
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e454698.65cd.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4e442261.1195309562@forums.sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 12 Aug 2011 08:28:24 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1313162904 10.22.241.41 (12 Aug 2011 08:28:24 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 12 Aug 2011 08:28:24 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 104
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.cluster:232
Article PK: 48510

I got the following answer from Dr. Mich Talebzadeh on the
ISUG Web site:

Dr. Mich Talebzadeh
Sybase ASE 15 Gold Medal Award 2008

Mich Talebzadeh, A Winning Strategy: Running the most
Critical Financial Data on ASE 15
http://login.sybase.com/files/Product_Overviews/ASE-Winning-Strategy-091908.pdf

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=mich+talebzadeh+business+intelligence+sybase&metahttp://www.sybase.com/linux


A-> Well in CE situation both node A and node B can access
and use the shared database residing on shared disks. Oracle
RAC and Sybase CE areboth greared for scalability (although
these are more often used for high availability than
scalability these days). When one node goes offthe database
is still accecible by the other node and depending on theset
up the threads connected to node A fail over to node B.

A-> The shared disks can be mirrored at the hardware level
just the oldtraditional way so there should be no single
point of failure.

A-> I believe hardware mirroring is a vialble solution where
HA is concerned.Remember we are talking about HA as opposed
to SCALABILITY here. A goodexample of hardware mirroring is
using Sun Solaris with SRDF where all ASE disks bar tempdb
devices are mirrored. SRDF also introduces its
ownoverhead/latency however, that is is another discussion.
Harwaremirroring works quite well with more proven
technology and in my opinion
judging by the level of expertise that both Oracle RAC and
ASE CE
require, Harware Mirroring is a desirable option for HA.

Mi coment:

R--> Agreed, but more expensive. Hence the compromise.
Sybase ASE CE and hardware mirroring of the shared disk.

Any feedback from anyone else?

Thank you.

Jean-Pierre

> On 11 Aug 2011 08:06:23 -0700, Jean-Pierre Dareys wrote:
>
> With ASE CE the user databases are all shared except for
> instance/node specific temporary databases.
>
> SAN does not have to be a single point of failure as
> multiple HBA/multipathing , secondary storage controllers
> and RAID/mirroring are be possible.
>
> Jay
>
> >The question remains the same. I am just writting to
> correct >the
> >product name. It is ASE 15.5 CE (cluster Edition)
> >
> >> Greetings,
> >>
> >> I was with a client a few days ago and the following
> >> questions came up with regards to Sybase HA CE.
> >>
> >> First, our asumptions:
> >>
> >> 1. Two nodes A and B and two ASE servers (both in up
> and >> running)
> >> 2. Independent set of disks for each node (not
> necessary >> but
> >> possible).
> >> 3. Shared disks for both nodes. Where the database(s)
> >> reside.
> >> 4. One database residing on the shared disks.
> >> 5. In the case of a crash of node A, node B, running,
> >> onlines
> >> the shared disk, and the running ASE engine on node
> B, >> onlines the shared database. All of this,
> >> automatically?
> >>
> >> Second, my questions:
> >>
> >> 1. It sounds like the disk that is shared between nodes
> A >> and B
> >> is is a single point of failure. What can be done to
> >> ensure
> >> it=b4s availability and is it part of Sybase ASE HA
> CE? >>
> >> The customer is considering Oracle RAC, as well as pure
> >> hardware
> >> mirroring at a distance of 10K using fiber optics.
> >> Apparently, seconds to failover.
> >>
> >> Thank you for your time and help.
> >>
> >> Jean-Pierre
> >>
> >> P.S. Sounds like the good old days. LOL
>