Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

4k logonly data cache

4 posts in Performance and Tuning Last posting was on 2011-09-23 09:32:26.0Z
dave Posted on 2011-09-13 11:10:02.0Z
Sender: 1bef.4e6f3319.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Dave
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning
Subject: 4k logonly data cache
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e6f3a0a.1f71.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 13 Sep 2011 04:10:02 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1315912202 10.22.241.41 (13 Sep 2011 04:10:02 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Sep 2011 04:10:02 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 5
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning:12958
Article PK: 91408

We have just created a 4k logonly data cache and assigned it
to its own buffer pool on out test system, however its not
showing up as being used via the output of sp_sysmon. is it
worth binding it to a database or droppign it as recommneded
by sp_sysmon


Bret Halford Posted on 2011-09-13 15:21:52.0Z
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 5.1; rv:6.0.2) Gecko/20110902 Thunderbird/6.0.2
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning
Subject: Re: 4k logonly data cache
References: <4e6f3a0a.1f71.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4e6f3a0a.1f71.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4e6f7510$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 13 Sep 2011 08:21:52 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1315927312 10.22.241.152 (13 Sep 2011 08:21:52 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 13 Sep 2011 08:21:52 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 10
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning:12961
Article PK: 91411


On 9/13/2011 5:10 AM, Dave wrote:
> We have just created a 4k logonly data cache and assigned it
> to its own buffer pool on out test system, however its not
> showing up as being used via the output of sp_sysmon. is it
> worth binding it to a database or droppign it as recommneded
> by sp_sysmon

Please post the output of sp_helpcache for this cache.


dave Posted on 2011-09-14 08:15:08.0Z
Sender: 2a0e.4e6f677d.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Dave
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning
Subject: Re: 4k logonly data cache
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e70628c.794a.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4e6f7510$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 14 Sep 2011 01:15:08 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1315988108 10.22.241.41 (14 Sep 2011 01:15:08 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 14 Sep 2011 01:15:08 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 43
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning:12964
Article PK: 91414


> On 9/13/2011 5:10 AM, Dave wrote:
> > We have just created a 4k logonly data cache and
> > assigned it to its own buffer pool on out test system,
> > however its not showing up as being used via the output
> > of sp_sysmon. is it worth binding it to a database or
> > droppign it as recommneded by sp_sysmon
>
>
> Please post the output of sp_helpcache for this cache.

Cache Name Config Size Run Size
Overhead
------------------------ ------------- ----------
----------
dbccdb_cache 50.00 Mb 50.00 Mb
3.55 Mb
default data cache 900.00 Mb 900.00 Mb
62.51 Mb
log_cache 100.00 Mb 100.00 Mb
7.08 Mb
tempdb_cache 200.00 Mb 200.00 Mb
14.13 Mb


Memory Available For Memory Configured
Named Caches To Named Caches
-------------------- ----------------
1250.01 Mb 1250.00 Mb


------------------ Cache Binding Information:
------------------

Cache Name Entity Name Type
Index Name Status
---------- ----------- ----
---------- ------
tempdb_cache tempdb database
V
(return status = 0)

>


'Mariano Corral ' [corral Posted on 2011-09-23 09:32:26.0Z
Sender: 3abe.4e7c4d3e.1804289383@sybase.com
From: 'Mariano Corral ' [corral@iname.com]
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning
Subject: Re: 4k logonly data cache
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4e7c522a.3baf.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4e70628c.794a.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.22.241.41
Date: 23 Sep 2011 02:32:26 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1316770346 10.22.241.41 (23 Sep 2011 02:32:26 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 23 Sep 2011 02:32:26 -0700, 10.22.241.41
Lines: 51
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.performance+tuning:12970
Article PK: 91423


> > On 9/13/2011 5:10 AM, Dave wrote:
> > > We have just created a 4k logonly data cache and
> > > assigned it to its own buffer pool on out test system,
> > > however its not showing up as being used via the
> > > output of sp_sysmon. is it worth binding it to a
> > > database or droppign it as recommneded by sp_sysmon
> >
> >
> > Please post the output of sp_helpcache for this cache.
>
>
> Cache Name Config Size Run Size
> Overhead
> ------------------------ ------------- ----------
> ----------
> dbccdb_cache 50.00 Mb 50.00 Mb
> 3.55 Mb
> default data cache 900.00 Mb 900.00 Mb
> 62.51 Mb
> log_cache 100.00 Mb 100.00 Mb
> 7.08 Mb
> tempdb_cache 200.00 Mb 200.00 Mb
> 14.13 Mb
>
>
> Memory Available For Memory Configured
> Named Caches To Named Caches
> -------------------- ----------------
> 1250.01 Mb 1250.00 Mb
>
>
> ------------------ Cache Binding Information:
> ------------------
>
> Cache Name Entity Name Type
>
> Index Name Status
> ---------- ----------- ----
>
> ---------- ------
> tempdb_cache tempdb database
>
> V
> (return status = 0)

You need to bind the cache to "syslogs" for every database
whose log you wish bound to this cache. IIRC, the database
must be first set to "single user".

Regards,
Mariano Corral