Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

log segment becomes - % usage

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2012-01-10 23:20:58.0Z
tom-tom Posted on 2012-01-10 00:47:19.0Z
Sender: 1a67.4f0b87d9.1804289383@sybase.com
From: tom-tom
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: log segment becomes - % usage
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4f0b8a97.1af7.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 9 Jan 2012 16:47:19 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1326156439 172.20.134.41 (9 Jan 2012 16:47:19 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2012 16:47:19 -0800, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 9
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30819
Article PK: 73705

Hi,

Has anyone come across this kind of issue, when the usage of
the log segment of database becomes negative? Using a sybase
central my total allocated for log is 3 MB, but the
consumption is -2.7 which eventually leads to higher
"free/unused" MB than what was actually allocated. But
running sp_helpdb and sp_spaceused via isql gives a normal
result. Thank you very much


Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase] Posted on 2012-01-10 03:21:59.0Z
From: "Manish Negandhi [TeamSybase]" <nospam_negandhi.manish@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <4f0b8a97.1af7.1681692777@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: log segment becomes - % usage
Lines: 35
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.3664
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.3664
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4f0baed7@forums-1-dub>
Date: 9 Jan 2012 19:21:59 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1326165719 10.22.241.152 (9 Jan 2012 19:21:59 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2012 19:21:59 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30820
Article PK: 73710

There have been several CRs for this issue. What ASE version you are using ?
below is the workaround given in a solved case for Sybase Central

sp_role "grant", sybase_ts_role, loginname
go
set role sybase_ts_role on
go

then to update the dbtable
dbcc traceon(3604)
dbcc usedextents(dbid, 0, 1, 1)
go

Recycle the Adaptive Server Enterprise after executing the dbcc
usedextents



-HTH
Manish Negandhi
[TeamSybase]

<tom-tom> wrote in message news:4f0b8a97.1af7.1681692777@sybase.com...
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone come across this kind of issue, when the usage of
> the log segment of database becomes negative? Using a sybase
> central my total allocated for log is 3 MB, but the
> consumption is -2.7 which eventually leads to higher
> "free/unused" MB than what was actually allocated. But
> running sp_helpdb and sp_spaceused via isql gives a normal
> result. Thank you very much


tom-tom Posted on 2012-01-10 07:51:23.0Z
Sender: 1a67.4f0b87d9.1804289383@sybase.com
From: tom-tom
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: log segment becomes - % usage
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4f0bedfb.30e7.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4f0baed7@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 9 Jan 2012 23:51:23 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1326181883 172.20.134.41 (9 Jan 2012 23:51:23 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2012 23:51:23 -0800, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 44
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30821
Article PK: 73712

Hi,

I am using ASE 12.5.4, not sure how to know the exact EBF.
It is running in Sun Solaris 10 server. 1 question before
proceeding, is there actually wrong with my Sybase ASE
server or just the Sybase Central? Thank you.

> There have been several CRs for this issue. What ASE
> version you are using ? below is the workaround given in
> a solved case for Sybase Central
>
> sp_role "grant", sybase_ts_role, loginname
> go
> set role sybase_ts_role on
> go
>
> then to update the dbtable
> dbcc traceon(3604)
> dbcc usedextents(dbid, 0, 1, 1)
> go
>
> Recycle the Adaptive Server Enterprise after
> executing the dbcc usedextents
>
>
>
> -HTH
> Manish Negandhi
> [TeamSybase]
>
>
> <tom-tom> wrote in message
> > news:4f0b8a97.1af7.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi,
> >
> > Has anyone come across this kind of issue, when the
> > usage of the log segment of database becomes negative?
> > Using a sybase central my total allocated for log is 3
> > MB, but the consumption is -2.7 which eventually leads
> > to higher "free/unused" MB than what was actually
> > allocated. But running sp_helpdb and sp_spaceused via
> > isql gives a normal result. Thank you very much
>
>


"Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse Posted on 2012-01-10 23:20:58.0Z
From: "Mark A. Parsons" <iron_horse@no_spamola.compuserve.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9.2.13) Gecko/20101207 Lightning/1.0b2 Thunderbird/3.1.7
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: log segment becomes - % usage
References: <4f0baed7@forums-1-dub> <4f0bedfb.30e7.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4f0bedfb.30e7.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4f0cc7da$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 10 Jan 2012 15:20:58 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1326237658 10.22.241.152 (10 Jan 2012 15:20:58 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 10 Jan 2012 15:20:58 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 54
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:30822
Article PK: 73711

If you can log into the dataserver with the isql command line tool ($SYBASE/$SYBASE_OCS/bin/isql) that came with the
dataserver and get valid/acceptable results from running stored procs ... but you get different/questionable results
from Sybase Central ... then yes, there's probably a bug with Sybase Central (or you're using the wrong version of
Sybase Central; or you're using the wrong plug-in).

As Manish has pointed out there are some CRs that address similar issues that show up when running stored procs from
within the isql command line tool.

On 01/10/2012 00:51, tom-tom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am using ASE 12.5.4, not sure how to know the exact EBF.
> It is running in Sun Solaris 10 server. 1 question before
> proceeding, is there actually wrong with my Sybase ASE
> server or just the Sybase Central? Thank you.
>
>
>> There have been several CRs for this issue. What ASE
>> version you are using ? below is the workaround given in
>> a solved case for Sybase Central
>>
>> sp_role "grant", sybase_ts_role, loginname
>> go
>> set role sybase_ts_role on
>> go
>>
>> then to update the dbtable
>> dbcc traceon(3604)
>> dbcc usedextents(dbid, 0, 1, 1)
>> go
>>
>> Recycle the Adaptive Server Enterprise after
>> executing the dbcc usedextents
>>
>>
>>
>> -HTH
>> Manish Negandhi
>> [TeamSybase]
>>
>>
>> <tom-tom> wrote in message
>>> news:4f0b8a97.1af7.1681692777@sybase.com... Hi,
>>>
>>> Has anyone come across this kind of issue, when the
>>> usage of the log segment of database becomes negative?
>>> Using a sybase central my total allocated for log is 3
>>> MB, but the consumption is -2.7 which eventually leads
>>> to higher "free/unused" MB than what was actually
>>> allocated. But running sp_helpdb and sp_spaceused via
>>> isql gives a normal result. Thank you very much
>>
>>