Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?

5 posts in Ultralite Last posting was on 2012-06-26 21:30:01.0Z
dave Posted on 2012-06-22 15:32:14.0Z
Sender: 58de.4fe48d19.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Dave
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4fe48ffe.5954.1681692777@sybase.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 22 Jun 2012 08:32:14 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1340379134 172.20.134.41 (22 Jun 2012 08:32:14 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 22 Jun 2012 08:32:14 -0700, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 13
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12738
Article PK: 1048548

I am in the process of an upgrade test from Ultralite 9 to
Ultralite 12. What i am noticing is that the existing
application code allows the user to retrieve a backup of the
database and synchronize after at least one synchronization
has completed after the backup was made. When i try the code
in 12, this fails with -794 and clearly conforms with
ultralite documentation here:
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/uladmin/mc-ul-s-5397602.html
aptly under the "Caution" box.
From what i am seeing, it seems either Ultralite 9 did not
have state tracking or mobilink 9 ignored it. Could you
please confirm?
TIA


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2012-06-25 18:41:20.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20120614 Thunderbird/13.0.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?
References: <4fe48ffe.5954.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4fe48ffe.5954.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4fe8b0d0$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 25 Jun 2012 11:41:20 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1340649680 172.20.134.152 (25 Jun 2012 11:41:20 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 25 Jun 2012 11:41:20 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 42
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12739
Article PK: 1048549

Hi Dave,

Synchronization Progress Counters have always been part of the UltraLite
product. The behaviour was first clarified in the 10.0.0 docs:

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1001/en/dbmnen10/mn-mc-ul-s-5397602.html

You can see UltraLite's progress values in version 9, by using the
"dbmlsrv9 -vp -ot dbmlsrv9.txt" switch to see the values logged in the
console log.

Regards,

On 22/06/2012 11:32 AM, Dave wrote:
> I am in the process of an upgrade test from Ultralite 9 to
> Ultralite 12. What i am noticing is that the existing
> application code allows the user to retrieve a backup of the
> database and synchronize after at least one synchronization
> has completed after the backup was made. When i try the code
> in 12, this fails with -794 and clearly conforms with
> ultralite documentation here:
> http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/uladmin/mc-ul-s-5397602.html
> aptly under the "Caution" box.
> From what i am seeing, it seems either Ultralite 9 did not
> have state tracking or mobilink 9 ignored it. Could you
> please confirm?
> TIA
>

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


dave Posted on 2012-06-26 16:36:09.0Z
Sender: 56c5.4fe9e332.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Dave
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4fe9e4f9.574b.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4fe8b0d0$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 26 Jun 2012 09:36:09 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1340728569 172.20.134.41 (26 Jun 2012 09:36:09 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Jun 2012 09:36:09 -0700, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 57
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12740
Article PK: 1048553

Jeff,
Thanks for the response. I couldnt find a mobilink switch to
ignore progress offset mismatches. Would you say it's a bad
idea to overwrite the progress offset at the server to match
the client in order to attempt to pass the sync?

Priyesh

> Hi Dave,
>
> Synchronization Progress Counters have always been part of
> the UltraLite product. The behaviour was first clarified
> in the 10.0.0 docs:
>
>
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1001/en/dbmnen10/mn-mc-ul-s-5397602.html
>
> You can see UltraLite's progress values in version 9, by
> using the "dbmlsrv9 -vp -ot dbmlsrv9.txt" switch to see
> the values logged in the console log.
>
> Regards,
>
> On 22/06/2012 11:32 AM, Dave wrote:
> > I am in the process of an upgrade test from Ultralite 9
> > to Ultralite 12. What i am noticing is that the existing
> > application code allows the user to retrieve a backup of
> > the database and synchronize after at least one
> > synchronization has completed after the backup was made.
> > When i try the code in 12, this fails with -794 and
> > clearly conforms with ultralite documentation here:
> >
>
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/uladmin/mc-ul-s-5397602.html
> > aptly under the "Caution" box.
> > From what i am seeing, it seems either Ultralite 9 did
> > not have state tracking or mobilink 9 ignored it. Could
> > you please confirm?
> > TIA
> >
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
> Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
> http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/
>
>


Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere] Posted on 2012-06-26 17:22:29.0Z
From: "Jeff Albion [Sybase iAnywhere]" <firstname.lastname@sybase.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:13.0) Gecko/20120614 Thunderbird/13.0.1
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?
References: <4fe8b0d0$1@forums-1-dub> <4fe9e4f9.574b.1681692777@sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <4fe9e4f9.574b.1681692777@sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4fe9efd5$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 26 Jun 2012 10:22:29 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1340731349 172.20.134.152 (26 Jun 2012 10:22:29 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Jun 2012 10:22:29 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 66
X-Authenticated-User: techsupp
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12741
Article PK: 1048554

Hello Priyesh,

Generally, yes - you should only have to reset the values if you had to
knowingly replace the remote database with the same unique database
information (e.g. restored from backup). Version 10.0.0 introduced the
'ml_reset_sync_state()' MobiLink system procedure to make this task
easier. (
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/mlserver/ml-storedproc-s-5993756.html
)

---

What behaviour are you really seeing here? Can you explain what you're
trying (going from working to non-working) in your upgrade process?

Also notably, it used to be the case that version 9 databases were
uniquely identified in the synchronization system by the 'ml_username'
value in the database:

===================================================
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MobiLink Administration Guide > Writing Synchronization Scripts > Script
parameters
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
...

ml_username The value of this parameter is the string that uniquely
identifies a MobiLink client. Each client must identify itself by this
name when initiating synchronization with a MobiLink synchronization
server. This parameter is available within most connection-level
scripts, all table-level scripts, and some cursor scripts.
===================================================

Whereas newer versions of MobiLink (10.0.0 and up) use a new property
'remote_id' to uniquely identify remote databases (which is a randomly
generated GUID, by default if you do not assign this property):

http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/mlclient/mc-asa-s-4872322.html

Perhaps this information explains how you're seeing progress mismatches
across different versions...?

Regards,

On 26/06/2012 12:36 PM, Dave wrote:
> Jeff,
> Thanks for the response. I couldnt find a mobilink switch to
> ignore progress offset mismatches. Would you say it's a bad
> idea to overwrite the progress offset at the server to match
> the client in order to attempt to pass the sync?
>
> Priyesh

--
Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company

SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
Report a Bug/Open a Case : http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/


Priyesh Posted on 2012-06-26 21:30:01.0Z
Sender: 56c5.4fe9e332.1804289383@sybase.com
From: Priyesh
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite
Subject: Re: Did Ultralite9 have sync state tracking?
X-Mailer: WebNews to Mail Gateway v1.1t
Message-ID: <4fea29d9.61c7.1681692777@sybase.com>
References: <4fe9efd5$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.20.134.41
Date: 26 Jun 2012 14:30:01 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1340746201 172.20.134.41 (26 Jun 2012 14:30:01 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 26 Jun 2012 14:30:01 -0700, 172.20.134.41
Lines: 99
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlanywhere.ultralite:12742
Article PK: 1048555

Hello Jeff,
Thanks again for the quick response. This is a state where
the system knowingly replaces the remote database. I still
have to figure out a way to possibly take a hint from the
sync and try to run ml_reset_sync_state().
However, after reading your reply, i am thinking it shouldnt
come to this and there must be something else that's wrong
here.
The test clients are working from an Ultralite12 database.
The database server ASA 12 unloaded and reloaded from an ASA
9 server. We are doing a side by side test to see if
upgrades are going to work without changes to client code.
So we have an ASA 9.0.2.x server and an ASA 12.0.1.x server
with existing clients syncing to the 9.0.2 server and
upgraded clients syncing to the new server. At a point in
test, the client code copies a database from backup and
syncs which passes in 9.0.2 and fails in 12.0.1. the server
logs show no progress offset mismatch in 9.0.2 but shows
offset mismatches in 12.0.1 and does not complete a sync. i
will ask for a verbose trace from the 12.0.1 system and see
if i can gather any more info.

> Hello Priyesh,
>
> Generally, yes - you should only have to reset the values
> if you had to knowingly replace the remote database with
> the same unique database information (e.g. restored from
> backup). Version 10.0.0 introduced the
> 'ml_reset_sync_state()' MobiLink system procedure to make
> this task easier. (
>
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/mlserver/ml-storedproc-s-5993756.html
> )
>
> ---
>
> What behaviour are you really seeing here? Can you explain
> what you're trying (going from working to non-working) in
> your upgrade process?
>
> Also notably, it used to be the case that version 9
> databases were uniquely identified in the synchronization
> system by the 'ml_username' value in the database:
>
> ===================================================
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------- MobiLink Administration Guide >
> Writing Synchronization Scripts > Script parameters
> ----------------------------------------------------------
> ---------------------- ....
>
> ml_username The value of this parameter is the string
> that uniquely identifies a MobiLink client. Each client
> must identify itself by this name when initiating
> synchronization with a MobiLink synchronization server.
> This parameter is available within most connection-level
> scripts, all table-level scripts, and some cursor scripts.
> ===================================================
>
> Whereas newer versions of MobiLink (10.0.0 and up) use a
> new property 'remote_id' to uniquely identify remote
> databases (which is a randomly generated GUID, by default
> if you do not assign this property):
>
>
http://dcx.sybase.com/index.html#1201/en/mlclient/mc-asa-s-4872322.html
>
> Perhaps this information explains how you're seeing
> progress mismatches across different versions...?
>
> Regards,
>
> On 26/06/2012 12:36 PM, Dave wrote:
> > Jeff,
> > Thanks for the response. I couldnt find a mobilink
> > switch to ignore progress offset mismatches. Would you
> > say it's a bad idea to overwrite the progress offset at
> > the server to match the client in order to attempt to
> pass the sync? >
> > Priyesh
>
> --
> Jeff Albion, Sybase iAnywhere, an SAP Company
>
> SQL Anywhere Developer Community :
>
http://www.sybase.com/developer/library/sql-anywhere-techcorner
> SQL Anywhere Documentation : http://dcx.sybase.com/
> Archived SQL Anywhere Documentation :
> http://manuals.sybase.com/onlinebooks/group-sas/
> SQL Anywhere Patches and EBFs :
>
http://downloads.sybase.com/swd/summary.do?baseprod=144&client=ianywhere&timeframe=0
> Report a Bug/Open a Case :
> http://case-express.sybase.com/cx/
>
>