Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?

6 posts in Product Futures Discussion Last posting was on 2003-03-28 21:29:22.0Z
Bill Clinton NoSpam Account Posted on 2002-01-09 03:12:14.0Z
From: "Bill Clinton NoSpam Account" <Bill_Clinton@whitehouse.com>
Subject: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 20:12:14 -0700
Lines: 7
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: h24-67-25-10.cg.shawcable.net 24.67.25.10
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:957
Article PK: 95197

Hi,
Is there any wishlist I could send some suggestions for Sybase?

Thanks
Gaspar G


Johan Posted on 2002-01-09 07:48:21.0Z
From: Johan
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2002 02:48:21 -0500
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
Subject: Re: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
Message-ID: <C7EBD9E44885BC61002AE08E85256B3C.0015A8F585256B3C@webforums>
References: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Lines: 47
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:956
Article PK: 95195

1.
A proper solution to get tempdb in memory. Overdue.

2.
Shared memory drivers for Open-client.
This is Overdue too, as MS is kicking ass (big-time) with theirs.

3.
Allow for SQL based user-defined functions.

4.
Optimise ASE for Intel / Linux.
Admittedly it is not Sybase's bread & butter, but maybe that just a
question of... not yet.

5.
Allow for easier admin.

eg: very low-priority update stats for background.
Can't this be automated then ? DBA only specifies which stats, the server
does the rest throughout the day.
Allow to prioritise tables for this activity, which means crtitical tables
are updated more frequently.
Update join stats (specifying a number of tables & keys at a time) would be
nice too.

6.
Clean up the row-level locking thing to allow us all to use it as default,
or else extend (at least some) features such as oupdate stats without a
shared table lock to page-locking.
How about some of the 11.9 index changes (eg leaf-level compression) for
page-locking too ?)

7.
Get back into the benchmarks. We want to see you there. Be it TPC, or
application.

8.
Sybase central has some room for improvements too.

9.
Also pay attention to what a number of smaller clients want, and not just
to what the big clients are asking for.


J


Bill Clinton NoSpam Account Posted on 2002-01-11 03:54:18.0Z
From: "Bill Clinton NoSpam Account" <Bill_Clinton@whitehouse.com>
References: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com> <C7EBD9E44885BC61002AE08E85256B3C.0015A8F585256B3C@webforums>
Subject: Re: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2002 20:54:18 -0700
Lines: 74
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2600.0000
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID: <oXbUWRlmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: h24-67-25-10.cg.shawcable.net 24.67.25.10
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:946
Article PK: 95186

Hi Johan,
I'm with you on some of you ideas.

1.- Personally I think is Ok (bind tempdb to a named cache)
2.- I don't know Ct-Lib that much.
3.- What in hell is Sybase waiting for?
4.- Mmhhh Sybase has bigger fishes to go after...
5.- It is already easy (I'm an Oracle DBA too, and believe me Sybase is
easy)
6.- I'm not fan of row-level locking, personally I think that a well written
app will not need this which is a big overhead in the server.
7.- Yeah! Let's see how Sybase kick ass (it used to be the f-a-s-t-e-s-t and
this was well know in the industry)
8.- What you pay is what you get and Sybase Central is free....
9.- I'm sure they're already listening.....


Bye
Gaspar

<Johan> wrote in message
news:C7EBD9E44885BC61002AE08E85256B3C.0015A8F585256B3C@webforums...
>
> 1.
> A proper solution to get tempdb in memory. Overdue.
>
> 2.
> Shared memory drivers for Open-client.
> This is Overdue too, as MS is kicking ass (big-time) with theirs.
>
> 3.
> Allow for SQL based user-defined functions.
>
> 4.
> Optimise ASE for Intel / Linux.
> Admittedly it is not Sybase's bread & butter, but maybe that just a
> question of... not yet.
>
> 5.
> Allow for easier admin.
>
> eg: very low-priority update stats for background.
> Can't this be automated then ? DBA only specifies which stats, the server
> does the rest throughout the day.
> Allow to prioritise tables for this activity, which means crtitical tables
> are updated more frequently.
> Update join stats (specifying a number of tables & keys at a time) would
be
> nice too.
>
> 6.
> Clean up the row-level locking thing to allow us all to use it as default,
> or else extend (at least some) features such as oupdate stats without a
> shared table lock to page-locking.
> How about some of the 11.9 index changes (eg leaf-level compression) for
> page-locking too ?)
>
> 7.
> Get back into the benchmarks. We want to see you there. Be it TPC, or
> application.
>
> 8.
> Sybase central has some room for improvements too.
>
> 9.
> Also pay attention to what a number of smaller clients want, and not just
> to what the big clients are asking for.
>
>
> J
>


Roger Broadbent Posted on 2002-01-15 11:07:02.0Z
From: "Roger Broadbent" <RBroadbent@wilco-int.com>
References: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com> <C7EBD9E44885BC61002AE08E85256B3C.0015A8F585256B3C@webforums> <oXbUWRlmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:07:02 -0000
Lines: 117
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2314.1300
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2314.1300
Message-ID: <GKgKIWbnBHA.374@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: wilcohost-180.wilco-int.com 212.36.174.180
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:932
Article PK: 95172

See below.

--
Roger Broadbent
Technical Consultant
Wilco International Ltd

Bill Clinton NoSpam Account <Bill_Clinton@whitehouse.com> wrote in message
news:oXbUWRlmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com...
> Hi Johan,
> I'm with you on some of you ideas.
>
> 1.- Personally I think is Ok (bind tempdb to a named cache)

But this means double-buffering - for fastest performance you still need a
reasonable cache for tempdb on top of the tmpfs device. A Sybase solution
would reduce the overall memoryt requirement for a given tempdb usage
profile.

> 2.- I don't know Ct-Lib that much.
> 3.- What in hell is Sybase waiting for?
> 4.- Mmhhh Sybase has bigger fishes to go after...
> 5.- It is already easy (I'm an Oracle DBA too, and believe me Sybase is
> easy)
> 6.- I'm not fan of row-level locking, personally I think that a well
written
> app will not need this which is a big overhead in the server.

Really the big advantage is not row-level locking at all, but data only
locking. You may not be aware that on an Allpages locked table, every index
page that is modified has a lock held out on it for the duration of a
transaction. This effectively locks out hundreds or thousands of rows. This
takes quite a lot of coding around, especially for busy queue tables. Such
workarounds can never be perfect, and data only locking is really a
requirement for heavy OLTP (at least for the apps I've used).

Sybase clearly believe in it, or they wouldn't be bothering to reimplement
existing system tables using row level locking.

Also, to be honest I've not detected much of an overhead to data only
locking in practice - either in performance or in database size. One of our
clients did some pretty thorough testing and found that for their
application data only tables were neither bigger nor grew faster than
allpages tables. Performance was also improved with data only locking,
despite the fact the application has already had significant re-architecting
to get around the allpages locking issues.

> 7.- Yeah! Let's see how Sybase kick ass (it used to be the f-a-s-t-e-s-t
and
> this was well know in the industry)
> 8.- What you pay is what you get and Sybase Central is free....
> 9.- I'm sure they're already listening.....
>
>
> Bye
> Gaspar
>
>
> <Johan> wrote in message
> news:C7EBD9E44885BC61002AE08E85256B3C.0015A8F585256B3C@webforums...
> >
> > 1.
> > A proper solution to get tempdb in memory. Overdue.
> >
> > 2.
> > Shared memory drivers for Open-client.
> > This is Overdue too, as MS is kicking ass (big-time) with theirs.
> >
> > 3.
> > Allow for SQL based user-defined functions.
> >
> > 4.
> > Optimise ASE for Intel / Linux.
> > Admittedly it is not Sybase's bread & butter, but maybe that just a
> > question of... not yet.
> >
> > 5.
> > Allow for easier admin.
> >
> > eg: very low-priority update stats for background.
> > Can't this be automated then ? DBA only specifies which stats, the
server
> > does the rest throughout the day.
> > Allow to prioritise tables for this activity, which means crtitical
tables
> > are updated more frequently.
> > Update join stats (specifying a number of tables & keys at a time) would
> be
> > nice too.
> >
> > 6.
> > Clean up the row-level locking thing to allow us all to use it as
default,
> > or else extend (at least some) features such as oupdate stats without a
> > shared table lock to page-locking.
> > How about some of the 11.9 index changes (eg leaf-level compression) for
> > page-locking too ?)
> >
> > 7.
> > Get back into the benchmarks. We want to see you there. Be it TPC, or
> > application.
> >
> > 8.
> > Sybase central has some room for improvements too.
> >
> > 9.
> > Also pay attention to what a number of smaller clients want, and not
just
> > to what the big clients are asking for.
> >
> >
> > J
> >
>
>


Bret Halford Posted on 2002-01-09 17:31:13.0Z
Message-ID: <3C3C7E61.29EA0C8D@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2002 10:31:13 -0700
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.76 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
References: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
Lines: 7
NNTP-Posting-Host: 157.133.80.180
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:954
Article PK: 95196

The International Sybase Users Group maintains such a list, see
http://www.isug.com.

-bret

Bill Clinton NoSpam Account wrote:

> Hi,
> Is there any wishlist I could send some suggestions for Sybase?
>
> Thanks
> Gaspar G


Thorsten Möller Posted on 2003-03-28 21:29:22.0Z
From: "Thorsten Möller" <ThorstenMoeller@web.de>
References: <9QyWdwLmBHA.189@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Is there any wishlist for Sybase 13/14/15?
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2003 22:29:22 +0100
Lines: 5
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <uYhT5GX9CHA.331@forums-2-dub>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: 141.30.215.79
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:1076
Article PK: 95322

Update the Java VM from Version 1.2.2 to 1.4, at least to 1.3.

Thorsten