Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASA for web site..

5 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2005-01-09 21:43:05.0Z
BenS1901 Posted on 2003-02-05 19:34:07.0Z
From: BenS1901
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 14:34:07 -0500
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: ASA for web site..
Message-ID: <F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums>
Lines: 22
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com!webforums.sybase.com!news
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:176
Article PK: 2000

Hi. I am trying to start an internet business. I would like to have a
Windows2000 Production machine, with ASP pages thru IIS with and ODBC
connection to my iAnywhere database. I have a few questions...

1) Due to a limited budget, I would like to start using Windows 2000
Professional as my Production machine. If the web site is successful, then
I would upgrade to Windows 2000 Server. Does anyone know if an iAnywhere
database running on Win2k Professional would be capable of handling many
concurrent requests for a Production quality web site?

2) When setting up the iAnywhere database to serve dynamic content to a web
site that is hosted on the same machine..should I choose the personal
database server and the network database server? The database would only be
serving data to the machine it is running on, but it would be serving data
for a web site that is accessible to the world.

3) Are there any documents or sites that anyone would recommend for finding
tips and concepts for optimizing an iAnywhere database for a dynamic web
site?

Thanks in advance for any information.

-Ben


Kristine Middlemiss Posted on 2003-02-06 17:07:03.0Z
From: "Kristine Middlemiss" <nospam_kmiddlem@sybase.com>
References: <F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums>
Subject: Re: ASA for web site..
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 12:07:03 -0500
Lines: 38
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.50.4807.1700
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.50.4807.1700
Message-ID: <4exZYTgzCHA.339@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.140.5
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:172
Article PK: 1991

This document, Adaptive Server Anywhere Data Storage, is for general
optimization of a database, this can be applied to any database setup:

http://my.sybase.com/detail?id=1009483

-Kristine

<BenS1901> wrote in message
news:F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums...
> Hi. I am trying to start an internet business. I would like to have a
> Windows2000 Production machine, with ASP pages thru IIS with and ODBC
> connection to my iAnywhere database. I have a few questions...
>
> 1) Due to a limited budget, I would like to start using Windows 2000
> Professional as my Production machine. If the web site is successful,
then
> I would upgrade to Windows 2000 Server. Does anyone know if an iAnywhere
> database running on Win2k Professional would be capable of handling many
> concurrent requests for a Production quality web site?
>
> 2) When setting up the iAnywhere database to serve dynamic content to a
web
> site that is hosted on the same machine..should I choose the personal
> database server and the network database server? The database would only
be
> serving data to the machine it is running on, but it would be serving data
> for a web site that is accessible to the world.
>
> 3) Are there any documents or sites that anyone would recommend for
finding
> tips and concepts for optimizing an iAnywhere database for a dynamic web
> site?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> -Ben


Rick Blythe Posted on 2003-02-05 20:00:49.0Z
From: "Rick Blythe" <rickb@ianywhere.com>
References: <F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums>
Subject: Re: ASA for web site..
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:00:49 -0500
Lines: 39
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2720.3000
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2600.0000
Message-ID: <F0S2zPVzCHA.198@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: 172.31.141.16
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:175
Article PK: 1996

SQL Anywhere would be a good database for this use. An Internet license is
required for this application however.

You would want to use the server, even if it is on the same machine as the
web server because the standalone engine is limited to 10 connections
whereas the server is unlimited.

--
______________________
Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
______________________
<BenS1901> wrote in message
news:F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums...
Hi. I am trying to start an internet business. I would like to have a
Windows2000 Production machine, with ASP pages thru IIS with and ODBC
connection to my iAnywhere database. I have a few questions...

1) Due to a limited budget, I would like to start using Windows 2000
Professional as my Production machine. If the web site is successful, then
I would upgrade to Windows 2000 Server. Does anyone know if an iAnywhere
database running on Win2k Professional would be capable of handling many
concurrent requests for a Production quality web site?

2) When setting up the iAnywhere database to serve dynamic content to a web
site that is hosted on the same machine..should I choose the personal
database server and the network database server? The database would only be
serving data to the machine it is running on, but it would be serving data
for a web site that is accessible to the world.

3) Are there any documents or sites that anyone would recommend for finding
tips and concepts for optimizing an iAnywhere database for a dynamic web
site?

Thanks in advance for any information.

-Ben


Daniel James Posted on 2005-01-07 22:46:53.0Z
From: Daniel James <daniel@raideil.com>
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 0.9 (X11/20041127)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: ASA for web site..
References: <F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums> <F0S2zPVzCHA.198@forums.sybase.com>
In-Reply-To: <F0S2zPVzCHA.198@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpe-67-49-61-115.socal.rr.com
Message-ID: <41df1159$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 7 Jan 2005 14:46:49 -0800, cpe-67-49-61-115.socal.rr.com
Lines: 49
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 7 Jan 2005 14:46:50 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 7 Jan 2005 14:46:53 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1105138013 10.22.108.75 (7 Jan 2005 14:46:53 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Jan 2005 14:46:53 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4034
Article PK: 7927

Rick,

How do you obtain an Internet license? I've looked through eShop and
cannot find anything related to this license.

Thanks in advance,

Daniel James

Rick Blythe wrote:
> SQL Anywhere would be a good database for this use. An Internet license is
> required for this application however.
>
> You would want to use the server, even if it is on the same machine as the
> web server because the standalone engine is limited to 10 connections
> whereas the server is unlimited.
>
> --
> ______________________
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
> Developer Community at http://www.ianywhere.com/developer
> ______________________
> <BenS1901> wrote in message
> news:F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums...
> Hi. I am trying to start an internet business. I would like to have a
> Windows2000 Production machine, with ASP pages thru IIS with and ODBC
> connection to my iAnywhere database. I have a few questions...
>
> 1) Due to a limited budget, I would like to start using Windows 2000
> Professional as my Production machine. If the web site is successful, then
> I would upgrade to Windows 2000 Server. Does anyone know if an iAnywhere
> database running on Win2k Professional would be capable of handling many
> concurrent requests for a Production quality web site?
>
> 2) When setting up the iAnywhere database to serve dynamic content to a web
> site that is hosted on the same machine..should I choose the personal
> database server and the network database server? The database would only be
> serving data to the machine it is running on, but it would be serving data
> for a web site that is accessible to the world.
>
> 3) Are there any documents or sites that anyone would recommend for finding
> tips and concepts for optimizing an iAnywhere database for a dynamic web
> site?
>
> Thanks in advance for any information.
>
> -Ben
>
>


Greg Fenton Posted on 2005-01-09 21:43:05.0Z
From: Greg Fenton <greg.fenton_NOSPAM_@ianywhere.com>
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions Inc.
User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.6.3.2f (Windows/20041206)
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
Subject: Re: ASA for web site..
References: <F21296378DE40DB6006B7E9B85256CC4.006B7EB785256CC4@webforums> <F0S2zPVzCHA.198@forums.sybase.com> <41df1159$1@forums-2-dub>
In-Reply-To: <41df1159$1@forums-2-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Message-ID: <41e1a563$1@forums-2-dub>
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2005 13:42:59 -0800, cpec2cdc91b1d31-cm000f212f9e50.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com
Lines: 20
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2005 13:43:02 -0800, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 9 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1105306985 10.22.108.75 (9 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 9 Jan 2005 13:43:05 -0800, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:4035
Article PK: 7928


Daniel James wrote:
>
> How do you obtain an Internet license? I've looked through eShop and
> cannot find anything related to this license.
>

The post you replied to is nearly 2 years old. Licensing options have
likely changed somewhat. I suggest contacting an iAnywhere sales rep:

http://www.ianywhere.com/company/contact.html

Hope this helps,
greg.fenton
--
Greg Fenton
Consultant, Solution Services, iAnywhere Solutions
--------
Visit the iAnywhere Solutions Developer Community
Whitepapers, TechDocs, Downloads
http://www.ianywhere.com/developer/