Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

where is JavaVM vm.out ??

6 posts in EJB Client Last posting was on 2004-08-07 15:50:27.0Z
Ben (bede) Posted on 2004-08-06 12:38:40.0Z
From: Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Message-ID: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>
Organization: Sofico
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
User-Agent: MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.70.2067
NNTP-Posting-Host: uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
Date: 6 Aug 2004 05:38:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091795920 194.7.38.226 (6 Aug 2004 05:38:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 05:38:40 -0700, uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
Lines: 26
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:330
Article PK: 424506

Hi,

Using PB9.0.1#7204

according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
isdebug)
"The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
current application is located."

=> However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current directory,
not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)

reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
"org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
of this.

If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
properly like this?

Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that PB
uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?

Should i open a case about this?

Ben


Ben (bede) Posted on 2004-08-06 13:00:40.0Z
From: Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Message-ID: <MPG.1b7d9dee62921c7c98968c@forums.sybase.com>
References: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>
Organization: Sofico
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
User-Agent: MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.70.2067
NNTP-Posting-Host: uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
Date: 6 Aug 2004 06:00:40 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091797240 194.7.38.226 (6 Aug 2004 06:00:40 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 06:00:40 -0700, uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
Lines: 31
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:331
Article PK: 424507

Case is logged (#11060893)

In article <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>,
bedeNOSP@Msofico.be says...

> Hi,
>
> Using PB9.0.1#7204
>
> according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
> isdebug)
> "The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
> including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
> current application is located."
>
> => However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current directory,
> not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)
>
> reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
> "org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
> of this.
>
> If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
> properly like this?
>
> Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that PB
> uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?
>
> Should i open a case about this?
>
> Ben
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2004-08-06 14:29:00.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_AT_sybase_DOT_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Message-ID: <9t47h093kcisb8qcfgdngd67l4uo8ljidq@4ax.com>
References: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com> <MPG.1b7d9dee62921c7c98968c@forums.sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:33:56 -0700, joneilw2k.sybase.com
Lines: 36
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:20:45 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 6 Aug 2004 07:29:00 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091802540 10.22.108.75 (6 Aug 2004 07:29:00 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:29:00 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:332
Article PK: 424510

What JDK are you using? vm.out doesn't work with JDK 1.4.

On 6 Aug 2004 06:00:40 -0700, Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be> wrote:

>Case is logged (#11060893)
>
>In article <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>,
>bedeNOSP@Msofico.be says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using PB9.0.1#7204
>>
>> according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
>> isdebug)
>> "The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
>> including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
>> current application is located."
>>
>> => However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current directory,
>> not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)
>>
>> reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
>> "org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
>> of this.
>>
>> If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
>> properly like this?
>>
>> Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that PB
>> uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?
>>
>> Should i open a case about this?
>>
>> Ben
>>


Ben (bede) Posted on 2004-08-06 14:36:23.0Z
From: Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Message-ID: <MPG.1b7db456a50ec4a1989690@forums.sybase.com>
References: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>
Organization: Sofico
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-15"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
User-Agent: MicroPlanet-Gravity/2.70.2067
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:41:21 -0700, uu194-7-38-226.unknown.uunet.be
Lines: 40
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-2-dub.sybase.com
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:28:11 -0700, forums-2-dub.sybase.com
NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: forums-master.sybase.com
Date: 6 Aug 2004 07:36:23 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091802983 10.22.108.75 (6 Aug 2004 07:36:23 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 07:36:23 -0700, forums-master.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: ngsysop
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:333
Article PK: 424508

thanks Jim

jeez.. 1.4 is exactly the one we're using. how come?
our server uses 1.4, i think we may get serialization problems when
using 1.3

Ben

btw, anything on the question about javaVM extra options?


In article <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>,
bedeNOSP@Msofico.be says...

> Hi,
>
> Using PB9.0.1#7204
>
> according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
> isdebug)
> "The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
> including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
> current application is located."
>
> => However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current directory,
> not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)
>
> reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
> "org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
> of this.
>
> If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
> properly like this?
>
> Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that PB
> uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?
>
> Should i open a case about this?
>
> Ben
>


Jim O'Neil [Sybase] Posted on 2004-08-06 17:19:21.0Z
From: "Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_AT_sybase_DOT_com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
Subject: Re: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Message-ID: <8he7h0t4pv7i3pmvi75ij8o79jq7a9v5cl@4ax.com>
References: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com> <MPG.1b7db456a50ec4a1989690@forums.sybase.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: joneilw2k.sybase.com
Date: 6 Aug 2004 10:19:21 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091812761 10.18.63.187 (6 Aug 2004 10:19:21 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 6 Aug 2004 10:19:21 -0700, joneilw2k.sybase.com
Lines: 55
X-Authenticated-User: teamsybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:334
Article PK: 424509

Well, I thought it was a known issue that vm.out doesn't work with
1.4, but I can't find a reference to it. To my recollection, it's a
JDK thing not a PowerBuilder thing.

As for additional options, yes there are registry keys in PB that
handle options to the java command (<plug>covered in chapter 23 of the
PB 9 Internet and Distributed Application Development book</plug>).
The hive (for runtime) is \\HKLM\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder
9.0\Java\PBRTConfig and there are PBJVMconfig and PBJVMprops keys you
can populate. You have one for \\HKLM\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder
9.0\Java\PBIDEConfig as well.

On 6 Aug 2004 07:36:23 -0700, Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be> wrote:

>thanks Jim
>
>jeez.. 1.4 is exactly the one we're using. how come?
>our server uses 1.4, i think we may get serialization problems when
>using 1.3
>
>Ben
>
>btw, anything on the question about javaVM extra options?
>
>
>In article <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>,
>bedeNOSP@Msofico.be says...
>> Hi,
>>
>> Using PB9.0.1#7204
>>
>> according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
>> isdebug)
>> "The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
>> including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
>> current application is located."
>>
>> => However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current directory,
>> not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)
>>
>> reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
>> "org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
>> of this.
>>
>> If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
>> properly like this?
>>
>> Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that PB
>> uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?
>>
>> Should i open a case about this?
>>
>> Ben
>>


bede Posted on 2004-08-07 15:50:27.0Z
From: "bede" <nospam>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient
References: <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com> <MPG.1b7db456a50ec4a1989690@forums.sybase.com> <8he7h0t4pv7i3pmvi75ij8o79jq7a9v5cl@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: where is JavaVM vm.out ??
Lines: 62
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1437
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1441
NNTP-Posting-Host: d51538d32.kabel.telenet.be
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: d51538d32.kabel.telenet.be
Message-ID: <4114fa43@forums-1-dub>
Date: 7 Aug 2004 08:50:27 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1091893827 81.83.141.50 (7 Aug 2004 08:50:27 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 7 Aug 2004 08:50:27 -0700, d51538d32.kabel.telenet.be
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.ejbclient:335
Article PK: 424511

i see.. thanks!
"Jim O'Neil [Sybase]" <joneil_AT_sybase_DOT_com> schreef in bericht
news:8he7h0t4pv7i3pmvi75ij8o79jq7a9v5cl@4ax.com...

> Well, I thought it was a known issue that vm.out doesn't work with
> 1.4, but I can't find a reference to it. To my recollection, it's a
> JDK thing not a PowerBuilder thing.
>
> As for additional options, yes there are registry keys in PB that
> handle options to the java command (<plug>covered in chapter 23 of the
> PB 9 Internet and Distributed Application Development book</plug>).
> The hive (for runtime) is \\HKLM\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder
> 9.0\Java\PBRTConfig and there are PBJVMconfig and PBJVMprops keys you
> can populate. You have one for \\HKLM\Software\Sybase\PowerBuilder
> 9.0\Java\PBIDEConfig as well.
>
> On 6 Aug 2004 07:36:23 -0700, Ben (bede) <bedeNOSP@Msofico.be> wrote:
>
> >thanks Jim
> >
> >jeez.. 1.4 is exactly the one we're using. how come?
> >our server uses 1.4, i think we may get serialization problems when
> >using 1.3
> >
> >Ben
> >
> >btw, anything on the question about javaVM extra options?
> >
> >
> >In article <MPG.1b7d982b2f9fa36798968b@forums.sybase.com>,
> >bedeNOSP@Msofico.be says...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> Using PB9.0.1#7204
> >>
> >> according to the help: javavm.createJavaVM(string classpath, boolean
> >> isdebug)
> >> "The isdebug argument is used to record information about the Java VM,
> >> including class loads, into the file VM.out in the directory where the
> >> current application is located."
> >>
> >> => However, i can't find vm.out anywhere.. not in the current
directory,
> >> not in the classpath, nowhere! (did a find on MyComputer)
> >>
> >> reason: we got an exception that doesn't provide a lot more than
> >> "org/apache/log4j/layout" and I'd like to be able to see the stacktrace
> >> of this.
> >>
> >> If this is another unfinished feature then how are we supposed to debug
> >> properly like this?
> >>
> >> Secondly, it would be interesting to be able to start the JavaVM that
PB
> >> uses with extra options (like -v ) is that possible?
> >>
> >> Should i open a case about this?
> >>
> >> Ben
> >>
>