Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?

7 posts in Replication Last posting was on 2009-07-15 10:02:10.0Z
mike grace Posted on 2009-07-10 18:44:10.0Z
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 18:44:10 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <b9f6cef87d568cbcfadedb67c2f@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: mike grace <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk>
Subject: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Reader 1098.1
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 090709-0, 09/07/2009), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.24.129.66
X-Trace: 10 Jul 2009 12:43:08 -0700, 217.24.129.66
Lines: 14
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!217.24.129.66
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:355
Article PK: 1134210

Hi,

I have just discovered after 3 days that replication has been failing and
a backlog of 35,000 rows have been held up.

Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email that replication/errors
have occured or is my only choice to write an application to look at the
error logs?

Regards

Mike


Peter Funk (ADS) Posted on 2009-07-10 21:47:16.0Z
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2009 21:47:16 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <864d0bcb18dba8cbcf8cd5eb15cc@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: Peter Funk (ADS) <pfunk@nospam.com>
Subject: Re: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <b9f6cef87d568cbcfadedb67c2f@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Pro 1098.1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.38.185
X-Trace: 10 Jul 2009 15:46:14 -0700, 10.24.38.185
Lines: 12
X-Authenticated-User: upreview
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.38.185
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:356
Article PK: 1134211


> Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email
> that replication/errors have occured or is my only choice to write an
> application to look at the error logs?

Not currently. We are looking for ideas like this to improve replication,
but as of now your only choice is to write it yourself.

Regards,
Peter Funk
Advantage R&D


Edgar Sherman Posted on 2009-07-13 16:10:21.0Z
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 10:10:21 -0600
From: Edgar Sherman <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 (Windows/20090605)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
Subject: Re: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
References: <b9f6cef87d568cbcfadedb67c2f@devzone.advantagedatabase.com> <864d0bcb18dba8cbcf8cd5eb15cc@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
In-Reply-To: <864d0bcb18dba8cbcf8cd5eb15cc@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.34.164
Message-ID: <4a5b5c1f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 13 Jul 2009 10:09:03 -0700, 10.24.34.164
Lines: 21
X-Authenticated-User: upreview
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.34.164
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:358
Article PK: 1134214

Mike,

Be sure to post the idea/suggestion to Uservoice

http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/

Edgar

Peter Funk (ADS) wrote:
>> Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email
>> that replication/errors have occured or is my only choice to write an
>> application to look at the error logs?
>
> Not currently. We are looking for ideas like this to improve
> replication, but as of now your only choice is to write it yourself.
>
> Regards,
> Peter Funk
> Advantage R&D
>
>


Edgar Sherman Posted on 2009-07-14 23:08:16.0Z
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 2009 17:08:16 -0600
From: Edgar Sherman <no@email.com>
User-Agent: Thunderbird 2.0.0.22 (Windows/20090605)
MIME-Version: 1.0
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
Subject: Re: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
References: <4a5b5c1f@solutions.advantagedatabase.com> <b9f6cef87e058cbd27b2a04b547@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
In-Reply-To: <b9f6cef87e058cbd27b2a04b547@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.24.34.164
Message-ID: <4a5d0f91@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
X-Trace: 14 Jul 2009 17:06:57 -0700, 10.24.34.164
Lines: 42
X-Authenticated-User: upreview
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.24.34.164
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:360
Article PK: 1134215

I had a vote left and saw that there is a similar one to what you are
looking for and added a vote.

Add Database Monitor Email Alerts ->
http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/pages/2671-general/suggestions/41698-add-database-monitor-email-alerts

There was also a suggestion to add system triggers (i.e.
OnReplicationError) which can then be a DLL trigger that sends an e-mail.
Add system triggers ->
http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/pages/2671-general/suggestions/24703-add-system-triggers

Edgar

mike grace wrote:
> Hello Edgar,
>
> I don't have any votes left therefore I can't create it.
>
> Mike
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> Be sure to post the idea/suggestion to Uservoice
>>
>> http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/
>>
>> Edgar
>>
>> Peter Funk (ADS) wrote:
>>
>>>> Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email
>>>> that replication/errors have occured or is my only choice to write
>>>> an application to look at the error logs?
>>>>
>>> Not currently. We are looking for ideas like this to improve
>>> replication, but as of now your only choice is to write it yourself.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Peter Funk
>>> Advantage R&D
>
>


mike grace Posted on 2009-07-15 10:02:10.0Z
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 10:02:10 +0000 (UTC)
Message-ID: <b9f6cef87e468cbd352d5ba418a@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
From: mike grace <mikeg@computastat-group.co.uk>
Subject: Re: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <4a5d0f91@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1; format=flowed
X-Newsreader: JetBrains Omea Reader 1098.1
X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 090714-0, 14/07/2009), Outbound message
X-Antivirus-Status: Clean
NNTP-Posting-Host: 217.24.129.66
X-Trace: 15 Jul 2009 04:01:07 -0700, 217.24.129.66
Lines: 52
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!217.24.129.66
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:361
Article PK: 1134217

Hello Edgar,

Thanks

Mike

> I had a vote left and saw that there is a similar one to what you are
> looking for and added a vote.
>
> Add Database Monitor Email Alerts ->
> http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/pages/2671-general/suggestions/4
> 1698-add-database-monitor-email-alerts
>
> There was also a suggestion to add system triggers (i.e.
> OnReplicationError) which can then be a DLL trigger that sends an
> e-mail. Add system triggers ->
> http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/pages/2671-general/suggestions/2
> 4703-add-system-triggers
>
> Edgar
>
> mike grace wrote:
>
>> Hello Edgar,
>>
>> I don't have any votes left therefore I can't create it.
>>
>> Mike
>>
>>> Mike,
>>>
>>> Be sure to post the idea/suggestion to Uservoice
>>>
>>> http://feedback.advantagedatabase.com/
>>>
>>> Edgar
>>>
>>> Peter Funk (ADS) wrote:
>>>
>>>>> Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email
>>>>> that replication/errors have occured or is my only choice to write
>>>>> an application to look at the error logs?
>>>>>
>>>> Not currently. We are looking for ideas like this to improve
>>>> replication, but as of now your only choice is to write it
>>>> yourself.
>>>>
>>>> Regards,
>>>> Peter Funk
>>>> Advantage R&D


Joachim Duerr (ADS) Posted on 2009-07-13 08:46:22.0Z
From: "Joachim Duerr (ADS)" <jojo.duerr@gmx.de>
Subject: Re: Is there any way to be notified when replication fails?
Newsgroups: Advantage.Replication
References: <b9f6cef87d568cbcfadedb67c2f@devzone.advantagedatabase.com>
User-Agent: XanaNews/1.19.1.194
X-Face: u2p+</,mb|Ah!x!/qxX5q0t:O~.<1&JzwNHYhSqcviY{~&|iDc"U.Je1A.ZeHR`d;;y#R
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
NNTP-Posting-Host: 10.56.66.155
Message-ID: <4a5ae64e@solutions.advantagedatabase.com>
Date: 13 Jul 2009 01:46:22 -0700
X-Trace: 13 Jul 2009 01:46:22 -0700, 10.56.66.155
Lines: 19
Path: solutions.advantagedatabase.com!solutions.advantagedatabase.com!10.56.66.155
Xref: solutions.advantagedatabase.com Advantage.Replication:357
Article PK: 1134212


mike grace wrote:

>I have just discovered after 3 days that replication has been failing
>and a backlog of 35,000 rows have been held up.
>
>Is there a mechanism already built in that can notify me via email
>that replication/errors have occured or is my only choice to write an
>application to look at the error logs?

one possibility is to create a trigger on the replication queue which
checks for the oldest entry. If it's greater than, let's say, 5
minutes, then send a notification.
You just need a listener for that notification to create an email or
SMS message to the admin.

--
Joachim Duerr
Advantage Presales
check out my new ADS book on http://www.jd-engineering.de/adsbuch