Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

dbcc question

6 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2010-01-03 08:14:42.0Z
hiro Posted on 2010-01-01 04:51:39.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: dbcc question
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2009 20:51:39 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 160
Message-ID: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262321500 10431 127.0.0.1 (1 Jan 2010 04:51:40 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 04:51:40 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28816
Article PK: 78058

Dear ASE guru.

I'm trying to test dbcc and I don't understand what is this probelm.

* probelm

The following problem occurred. could you tell me how to solve it??

When I execute sp_configure 'number of worker processes',50
It work fine. but I don't understand. this value is proper or not.

SQL> dbcc checkstorage(dbcc_test)

Checking dbcc_test: Logical pagesize is 4096 bytes
Msg 9961, Level 17, State 6:
Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
DBCC failed to connect to the requested number of worker processes.
The number
of workers configured is insufficient, or the number of workers
exceeds 128. Use
sp_dbcc_updateconfig to reduce 'max worker processes' for this
database.
Msg 9960, Level 20, State 1:
Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
A non-recoverable error has occurred in the CHECKSTORAGE operation.
The
operation has been aborted.
Msg 9970, Level 20, State 1:
Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
DBCC cannot update the finish time in dbcc_operation_log table for
this
operation(opid = '28') of database 'dbcc_test'. This can be patched
by executing
sp_dbcc_patch_finishtime.
DBCC CHECKSTORAGE for database 'dbcc_test' encountered an error. Some
results
may not be available. Correct the problems reported and reexecute the
CHECKSTORAGE command.


* Environment

Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16743 ESD#2/P/Linux Intel/Linux
2.6.9-42.
ELsmp i686/ase1503/2707/32-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 23:03:48
2009

1> sp_configure 'max memory'
2> go
Parameter Name Default Memory Used
Config Value Run Value
Unit
Type
------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
-------------------- --------------------
--------------------
----------
max memory 49152 2831152
1415576 1415576 memory pages
(2k)
dynamic
(return status = 0)



1> sp_configure 'worker'
2> go
Msg 17411, Level 16, State 1:
Server 'ELEPHANT', Procedure 'sp_configure', Line 322:
Configuration option is not unique.

Parameter Name Default Memory Used
Config Value Run Value
Unit
Type
------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
-------------------- --------------------
--------------------
----------
memory per worker process 1024 4
1024 1024
bytes
dynamic
number of worker processes 0 0
0 0
number
dynamic
(return status = 1)


1> sp_poolconfig dbcc_cache
2> go
Cache Name Status
Type Config
Value
Run Value
------------------------------------ ------------------------
------------------------
------------------------------------------
------------------------------------
dbcc_cache Active
Mixed 5.00
Mb
5.00 Mb
------------ ------------
Total 5.00 Mb 5.00 Mb
==========================================================================
Cache: dbcc_cache, Status: Active, Type: Mixed
Config Size: 5.00 Mb, Run Size: 5.00 Mb
Config Replacement: strict LRU, Run Replacement: strict LRU
Config Partition: 1, Run Partition: 1
IO Size Wash Size Config Size Run Size APF Percent
-------- ------------- ------------ ------------ -----------
4 Kb 204 Kb 0.00 Mb 1.00 Mb 10
32 Kb 800 Kb 4.00 Mb 4.00 Mb 10
(return status = 0)



1> sp_dbcc_evaluatedb
2> go
Recommended values for workspace size, cache size and process count
are:

Database name : dbcc_test
current suggested
scan workspace size : 0K 288K
text workspace size : 0K 96K
cache size : 5120K 1280K
process count : 2 2



1> sp_dbcc_configreport
2> go


Reporting default DBCC configuration information.

Parameter Name Value Size

database name DEFAULT_VALUES
scan workspace def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876) 512K
text workspace def$text$ws (id = 1120003990) 256K
max worker processes 1


Reporting configuration information of database dbcc_test.

Parameter Name Value Size

database name dbcc_test 20480K
dbcc named cache dbcc_cache 5120K
operation sequence number 28
max worker processes 2
scan workspace def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876) 512K **
Default
text workspace def$text$ws (id = 1120003990) 256K **
Default
(return status = 0)


Rob V [ Sybase ] Posted on 2010-01-01 13:56:57.0Z
Reply-To: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
From: "Rob V [ Sybase ]" <robv@DO.NOT.SPAM.sypron.nl.REMOVE.THIS.DECOY>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
References: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: dbcc question
Lines: 190
Organization: Sypron BV / TeamSybase / Sybase
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5843
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5579
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <4b3dff29@forums-1-dub>
Date: 1 Jan 2010 05:56:57 -0800
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1262354217 10.22.241.152 (1 Jan 2010 05:56:57 -0800)
X-Original-Trace: 1 Jan 2010 05:56:57 -0800, vip152.sybase.com
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28817
Article PK: 78059

Looks like you need to post the result of running:

sp_configure 'number of worker processes',50

... since that seems not to have worked.

HTH,

Rob V.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Rob Verschoor

Certified Sybase Professional DBA for ASE 15.0/12.5/12.0/11.5/11.0
and Replication Server 15.0.1/12.5 // TeamSybase

Author of Sybase books (order online at www.sypron.nl/shop):
"Tips, Tricks & Recipes for Sybase ASE" (ASE 15 edition) post the result
"The Complete Sybase ASE Quick Reference Guide"
"The Complete Sybase Replication Server Quick Reference Guide"

mailto:rob@YOUR.SPAM.sypron.nl.NOT.FOR.ME
http://www.sypron.nl
Sypron B.V., Amersfoort, The Netherlands
Chamber of Commerce 27138666
-----------------------------------------------------------------

"hiro" <hiroysato@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com...
> Dear ASE guru.
>
> I'm trying to test dbcc and I don't understand what is this probelm.
>
> * probelm
>
> The following problem occurred. could you tell me how to solve it??
>
> When I execute sp_configure 'number of worker processes',50
> It work fine. but I don't understand. this value is proper or not.
>
> SQL> dbcc checkstorage(dbcc_test)
>
> Checking dbcc_test: Logical pagesize is 4096 bytes
> Msg 9961, Level 17, State 6:
> Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> DBCC failed to connect to the requested number of worker processes.
> The number
> of workers configured is insufficient, or the number of workers
> exceeds 128. Use
> sp_dbcc_updateconfig to reduce 'max worker processes' for this
> database.
> Msg 9960, Level 20, State 1:
> Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> A non-recoverable error has occurred in the CHECKSTORAGE operation.
> The
> operation has been aborted.
> Msg 9970, Level 20, State 1:
> Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> DBCC cannot update the finish time in dbcc_operation_log table for
> this
> operation(opid = '28') of database 'dbcc_test'. This can be patched
> by executing
> sp_dbcc_patch_finishtime.
> DBCC CHECKSTORAGE for database 'dbcc_test' encountered an error. Some
> results
> may not be available. Correct the problems reported and reexecute the
> CHECKSTORAGE command.
>
>
> * Environment
>
> Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16743 ESD#2/P/Linux Intel/Linux
> 2.6.9-42.
> ELsmp i686/ase1503/2707/32-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 23:03:48
> 2009
>
> 1> sp_configure 'max memory'
> 2> go
> Parameter Name Default Memory Used
> Config Value Run Value
> Unit
> Type
> ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
> -------------------- --------------------
> --------------------
> ----------
> max memory 49152 2831152
> 1415576 1415576 memory pages
> (2k)
> dynamic
> (return status = 0)
>
>
>
> 1> sp_configure 'worker'
> 2> go
> Msg 17411, Level 16, State 1:
> Server 'ELEPHANT', Procedure 'sp_configure', Line 322:
> Configuration option is not unique.
>
> Parameter Name Default Memory Used
> Config Value Run Value
> Unit
> Type
> ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
> -------------------- --------------------
> --------------------
> ----------
> memory per worker process 1024 4
> 1024 1024
> bytes
> dynamic
> number of worker processes 0 0
> 0 0
> number
> dynamic
> (return status = 1)
>
>
> 1> sp_poolconfig dbcc_cache
> 2> go
> Cache Name Status
> Type Config
> Value
> Run Value
> ------------------------------------ ------------------------
> ------------------------
> ------------------------------------------
> ------------------------------------
> dbcc_cache Active
> Mixed 5.00
> Mb
> 5.00 Mb
> ------------ ------------
> Total 5.00 Mb 5.00 Mb
> ==========================================================================
> Cache: dbcc_cache, Status: Active, Type: Mixed
> Config Size: 5.00 Mb, Run Size: 5.00 Mb
> Config Replacement: strict LRU, Run Replacement: strict LRU
> Config Partition: 1, Run Partition: 1
> IO Size Wash Size Config Size Run Size APF Percent
> -------- ------------- ------------ ------------ -----------
> 4 Kb 204 Kb 0.00 Mb 1.00 Mb 10
> 32 Kb 800 Kb 4.00 Mb 4.00 Mb 10
> (return status = 0)
>
>
>
> 1> sp_dbcc_evaluatedb
> 2> go
> Recommended values for workspace size, cache size and process count
> are:
>
> Database name : dbcc_test
> current suggested
> scan workspace size : 0K 288K
> text workspace size : 0K 96K
> cache size : 5120K 1280K
> process count : 2 2
>
>
>
> 1> sp_dbcc_configreport
> 2> go
>
>
> Reporting default DBCC configuration information.
>
> Parameter Name Value Size
>
> database name DEFAULT_VALUES
> scan workspace def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876) 512K
> text workspace def$text$ws (id = 1120003990) 256K
> max worker processes 1
>
>
> Reporting configuration information of database dbcc_test.
>
> Parameter Name Value Size
>
> database name dbcc_test 20480K
> dbcc named cache dbcc_cache 5120K
> operation sequence number 28
> max worker processes 2
> scan workspace def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876) 512K **
> Default
> text workspace def$text$ws (id = 1120003990) 256K **
> Default
> (return status = 0)


mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase] Posted on 2010-01-01 18:25:21.0Z
From: "mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase]" <michael.peppler@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: dbcc question
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:25:21 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 196
Message-ID: <4efa1065-ec1c-454d-a2ae-fd0b91bc096e@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
References: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 78.155.28.124
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262370321 24450 127.0.0.1 (1 Jan 2010 18:25:21 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 18:25:21 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com; posting-host=78.155.28.124; posting-account=9rHMzAoAAADtzToS8d2WKVGlkISAvPdk
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!newsfeed.news2me.com!newsfeed2.telusplanet.net!newsfeed.telus.net!npeer03.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!postnews.google.com!f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28818
Article PK: 78060

According to your message ASE wants to use 2 worker processes - so
setting the "number of worker processes" to 2 should be the correct
fix.

Note that for DBCC checkstorage ASE will normally use one worker
process per disk device used by a database, so you can quite easily
figure out how high to set the max number of worker processes
configuration parameter.

Michael

On Jan 1, 5:51 am, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear ASE guru.
>
> I'm trying to test dbcc and I don't understand what is this probelm.
>
> * probelm
>
>  The following problem occurred. could you tell me how to solve it??
>
>  When I execute sp_configure 'number of worker processes',50
>  It work fine. but I don't understand. this value is proper or not.
>
>  SQL> dbcc checkstorage(dbcc_test)
>
>  Checking dbcc_test: Logical pagesize is 4096 bytes
>  Msg 9961, Level 17, State 6:
>  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
>  DBCC failed to connect to the requested number of worker processes.
> The number
>  of workers configured is insufficient, or the number of workers
> exceeds 128. Use
>  sp_dbcc_updateconfig to reduce 'max worker processes' for this
> database.
>  Msg 9960, Level 20, State 1:
>  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
>  A non-recoverable error has occurred in the CHECKSTORAGE operation.
> The
>  operation has been aborted.
>  Msg 9970, Level 20, State 1:
>  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
>  DBCC cannot update the finish time in dbcc_operation_log table for
> this
>  operation(opid = '28') of database 'dbcc_test'. This can be patched
> by executing
>  sp_dbcc_patch_finishtime.
>  DBCC CHECKSTORAGE for database 'dbcc_test' encountered an error. Some
> results
>  may not be available. Correct the problems reported and reexecute the
>  CHECKSTORAGE command.
>
> * Environment
>
>  Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16743 ESD#2/P/Linux Intel/Linux
> 2.6.9-42.
>          ELsmp i686/ase1503/2707/32-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 23:03:48
> 2009
>
> 1> sp_configure 'max memory'
> 2> go
>  Parameter Name                 Default              Memory Used
>          Config Value         Run Value
> Unit
>          Type
>  ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
>          -------------------- --------------------
> --------------------
>          ----------
>  max memory                           49152              2831152
>               1415576              1415576         memory pages
> (2k)
>          dynamic
> (return status = 0)
>
> 1> sp_configure 'worker'
> 2> go
> Msg 17411, Level 16, State 1:
> Server 'ELEPHANT', Procedure 'sp_configure', Line 322:
> Configuration option is not unique.
>
>  Parameter Name                 Default              Memory Used
>          Config Value         Run Value
> Unit
>          Type
>  ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
>          -------------------- --------------------
> --------------------
>          ----------
>  memory per worker process             1024                    4
>                  1024                 1024
> bytes
>          dynamic
>  number of worker processes               0                    0
>                     0                    0
> number
>          dynamic
> (return status = 1)
>
> 1> sp_poolconfig dbcc_cache
> 2> go
>  Cache Name                           Status
>          Type                     Config
> Value
>          Run Value
>  ------------------------------------ ------------------------
>          ------------------------
> ------------------------------------------
>          ------------------------------------
>  dbcc_cache                           Active
>          Mixed                         5.00
> Mb
>               5.00 Mb
>                          ------------ ------------
>                     Total       5.00 Mb      5.00 Mb
> ==========================================================================
> Cache: dbcc_cache,   Status: Active,   Type: Mixed
>       Config Size: 5.00 Mb,   Run Size: 5.00 Mb
>       Config Replacement: strict LRU,   Run Replacement: strict LRU
>       Config Partition:            1,   Run Partition:            1
>  IO Size  Wash Size     Config Size  Run Size     APF Percent
>  -------- ------------- ------------ ------------ -----------
>      4 Kb        204 Kb      0.00 Mb      1.00 Mb     10
>     32 Kb        800 Kb      4.00 Mb      4.00 Mb     10
> (return status = 0)
>
> 1> sp_dbcc_evaluatedb
> 2> go
> Recommended values for workspace size, cache size and process count
> are:
>
> Database name : dbcc_test
>                                       current         suggested
> scan workspace size :                      0K              288K
> text workspace size :                      0K               96K
> cache size          :                   5120K             1280K
> process count       :                       2                 2
>
> 1> sp_dbcc_configreport
> 2> go
>
> Reporting default DBCC configuration information.
>
>  Parameter Name         Value                           Size
>
>  database name          DEFAULT_VALUES
>  scan workspace         def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876)   512K
>  text workspace         def$text$ws (id = 1120003990)   256K
>  max worker processes    1
>
> Reporting configuration information of database dbcc_test.
>
>  Parameter Name              Value                           Size
>
>  database name               dbcc_test                       20480K
>  dbcc named cache            dbcc_cache                      5120K
>  operation sequence number    28
>  max worker processes         2
>  scan workspace              def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876)   512K  **
> Default
>  text workspace              def$text$ws (id = 1120003990)   256K  **
> Default
> (return status = 0)


hiro Posted on 2010-01-02 00:32:09.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: dbcc question
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 16:32:09 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 128
Message-ID: <82854c18-bd31-41cc-a781-61463cebfbe5@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
References: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> <4efa1065-ec1c-454d-a2ae-fd0b91bc096e@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: base64
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262392329 30213 127.0.0.1 (2 Jan 2010 00:32:09 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 00:32:09 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!Xbb.tags.giganews.com!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28819
Article PK: 78061

Thanks Michael. (I'm using sybperl. also thanks)

I want to ask additional question.

1. What is mean default value ``0''
The default value of "number of worker processes" is 0
What is this mean??, It is mean that no limit??

2. What are process refer this value
What are process refer "number of process"??
only dbcc checkstorage??

3, maximum value of "number of process"
If a my ASE has some databases.
The maximum "number of process value" is
total of "max number of worker processes" each database?

Is this right??

Sincerely

On 1月2日, 午前3:25, "mpepp...@peppler.org [Team Sybase]"

<michael.pepp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> According to your message ASE wants to use 2 worker processes - so
> setting the "number of worker processes" to 2 should be the correct
> fix.
>
> Note that for DBCC checkstorage ASE will normally use one worker
> process per disk device used by a database, so you can quite easily
> figure out how high to set the max number of worker processes
> configuration parameter.
>
> Michael
>
> On Jan 1, 5:51 am, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>
>
> > Dear ASE guru.
>
> > I'm trying to test dbcc and I don't understand what is this probelm.
>
> > * probelm
>
> >  The following problem occurred. could you tell me how to solve it??
>
> >  When I execute sp_configure 'number of worker processes',50
> >  It work fine. but I don't understand. this value is proper or not.
>
> >  SQL> dbcc checkstorage(dbcc_test)
>
> >  Checking dbcc_test: Logical pagesize is 4096 bytes
> >  Msg 9961, Level 17, State 6:
> >  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> >  DBCC failed to connect to the requested number of worker processes.
> > The number
> >  of workers configured is insufficient, or the number of workers
> > exceeds 128. Use
> >  sp_dbcc_updateconfig to reduce 'max worker processes' for this
> > database.
> >  Msg 9960, Level 20, State 1:
> >  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> >  A non-recoverable error has occurred in the CHECKSTORAGE operation.
> > The
> >  operation has been aborted.
> >  Msg 9970, Level 20, State 1:
> >  Server 'ELEPHANT', Line 1:
> >  DBCC cannot update the finish time in dbcc_operation_log table for
> > this
> >  operation(opid = '28') of database 'dbcc_test'. This can be patched
> > by executing
> >  sp_dbcc_patch_finishtime.
> >  DBCC CHECKSTORAGE for database 'dbcc_test' encountered an error. Some
> > results
> >  may not be available. Correct the problems reported and reexecute the
> >  CHECKSTORAGE command.
>
> > * Environment
>
> >  Adaptive Server Enterprise/15.0.3/EBF 16743 ESD#2/P/Linux Intel/Linux
> > 2.6.9-42.
> >          ELsmp i686/ase1503/2707/32-bit/FBO/Sun Jul 26 23:03:48
> > 2009
>
> > 1> sp_configure 'max memory'
> > 2> go
> >  Parameter Name                 Default              Memory Used
> >          Config Value         Run Value
> > Unit
> >          Type
> >  ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
> >          -------------------- --------------------
> > --------------------
> >          ----------
> >  max memory                           49152              2831152
> >               1415576              1415576         memory pages
> > (2k)
> >          dynamic
> > (return status = 0)
>
> > 1> sp_configure 'worker'
> > 2> go
> > Msg 17411, Level 16, State 1:
> > Server 'ELEPHANT', Procedure 'sp_configure', Line 322:
> > Configuration option is not unique.
>
> >  Parameter Name                 Default              Memory Used
> >          Config Value         Run Value
> > Unit
> >          Type
> >  ------------------------------ -------------------- -----------
> >          -------------------- --------------------
> > --------------------
> >          ----------
> >  memory per worker process             1024                    4
> >                  1024                 1024
> > bytes
> >          dynamic
> >  number of worker processes               0                    0
> >                     0                    0
> > number
> >          dynamic
> > (return status = 1)
>
> > 1> sp_poolconfig dbcc_cache
> > 2> go
> >  Cache Name                           Status
> >          Type                     Config
> > Value
> >          Run Value
> >  ------------------------------------ ------------------------
> >          ------------------------
> > ------------------------------------------
> >          ------------------------------------
> >  dbcc_cache                           Active
> >          Mixed                         5.00
> > Mb
> >               5.00 Mb
> >                          ------------ ------------
> >                     Total       5.00 Mb      5.00 Mb
> > ==========================================================================
> > Cache: dbcc_cache,   Status: Active,   Type: Mixed
> >       Config Size: 5.00 Mb,   Run Size: 5.00 Mb
> >       Config Replacement: strict LRU,   Run Replacement: strict LRU
> >       Config Partition:            1,   Run Partition:            1
> >  IO Size  Wash Size     Config Size  Run Size     APF Percent
> >  -------- ------------- ------------ ------------ -----------
> >      4 Kb        204 Kb      0.00 Mb      1.00 Mb     10
> >     32 Kb        800 Kb      4.00 Mb      4.00 Mb     10
> > (return status = 0)
>
> > 1> sp_dbcc_evaluatedb
> > 2> go
> > Recommended values for workspace size, cache size and process count
> > are:
>
> > Database name : dbcc_test
> >                                       current         suggested
> > scan workspace size :                      0K              288K
> > text workspace size :                      0K               96K
> > cache size          :                   5120K             1280K
> > process count       :                       2                 2
>
> > 1> sp_dbcc_configreport
> > 2> go
>
> > Reporting default DBCC configuration information.
>
> >  Parameter Name         Value                           Size
>
> >  database name          DEFAULT_VALUES
> >  scan workspace         def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876)   512K
> >  text workspace         def$text$ws (id = 1120003990)   256K
> >  max worker processes    1
>
> > Reporting configuration information of database dbcc_test.
>
> >  Parameter Name              Value                           Size
>
> >  database name               dbcc_test                       20480K
> >  dbcc named cache            dbcc_cache                      5120K
> >  operation sequence number    28
> >  max worker processes         2
> >  scan workspace              def$scan$ws (id = 1088003876)   512K  **
> > Default
> >  text workspace              def$text$ws (id = 1120003990)   256K  **
> > Default
> > (return status = 0)


mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase] Posted on 2010-01-02 16:08:51.0Z
From: "mpeppler@peppler.org [Team Sybase]" <michael.peppler@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: dbcc question
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 08:08:51 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 40
Message-ID: <131b0e81-79af-4ab3-991c-757231da620a@s31g2000yqs.googlegroups.com>
References: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> <4efa1065-ec1c-454d-a2ae-fd0b91bc096e@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com> <82854c18-bd31-41cc-a781-61463cebfbe5@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 78.155.28.124
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262448532 3563 127.0.0.1 (2 Jan 2010 16:08:52 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 16:08:52 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: s31g2000yqs.googlegroups.com; posting-host=78.155.28.124; posting-account=9rHMzAoAAADtzToS8d2WKVGlkISAvPdk
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_6; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.2 Safari/525.20.1,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!npeer02.iad.highwinds-media.com!news.highwinds-media.com!feed-me.highwinds-media.com!postnews.google.com!s31g2000yqs.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28822
Article PK: 78064


On Jan 2, 1:32 am, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Michael. (I'm using sybperl. also thanks)
>
> I want to ask additional question.
>
> 1. What is mean default value ``0''
>  The default value of "number of worker processes" is 0
>  What is this mean??, It is mean that no limit??

No - 0 means 0 (i.e. none)



>
> 2. What are process refer this value
> What are process refer "number of process"??
> only dbcc checkstorage??
>

dbcc checkstorage uses this parameter, as well as queries that are
performed in parallel (e.g. over a partitioned table). You have to
turn on parallelism (also via sp_configure) to use that feature, and
in general it is not needed or beneficial to use it on "normal"
systems.



> 3, maximum value of "number of process"
>  If a my ASE has some databases.
>  The maximum "number of process value" is
>  total of "max number of worker processes" each database?
>
>  Is this right??

Not necessarily, unless you run the checkstorage process for each
database at the same time.
Otherwise, you only need to set the "max number of worker processes"
to the maximum needed by any single checkstorage check.

Michael


hiro Posted on 2010-01-03 08:14:42.0Z
From: hiro <hiroysato@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.general
Subject: Re: dbcc question
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 00:14:42 -0800 (PST)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 42
Message-ID: <51e4f11a-17ae-4b89-952d-5ac22e790722@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>
References: <c4905cb7-dea1-4662-b052-f9a657dab64c@a15g2000yqm.googlegroups.com> <4efa1065-ec1c-454d-a2ae-fd0b91bc096e@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com> <82854c18-bd31-41cc-a781-61463cebfbe5@f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com> <131b0e81-79af-4ab3-991c-757231da620a@s31g2000yqs.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 211.19.98.177
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1262506482 31981 127.0.0.1 (3 Jan 2010 08:14:42 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 08:14:42 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com; posting-host=211.19.98.177; posting-account=IEn8rgoAAACMLW-fH7jZGmn6B_AGW-5l
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; Intel Mac OS X 10_5_8; ja-jp) AppleWebKit/531.21.8 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.4 Safari/531.21.10,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!f5g2000yqh.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.general:28823
Article PK: 78065

Thanks Michael.

On Jan 3, 1:08 am, "mpepp...@peppler.org [Team Sybase]"

<michael.pepp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 2, 1:32 am, hiro <hiroys...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Thanks Michael. (I'm using sybperl. also thanks)
>
> > I want to ask additional question.
>
> > 1. What is mean default value ``0''
> >  The default value of "number of worker processes" is 0
> >  What is this mean??, It is mean that no limit??
>
> No - 0 means 0 (i.e. none)
>
>
>
> > 2. What are process refer this value
> > What are process refer "number of process"??
> > only dbcc checkstorage??
>
> dbcc checkstorage uses this parameter, as well as queries that are
> performed in parallel (e.g. over a partitioned table). You have to
> turn on parallelism (also via sp_configure) to use that feature, and
> in general it is not needed or beneficial to use it on "normal"
> systems.
>
> > 3, maximum value of "number of process"
> >  If a my ASE has some databases.
> >  The maximum "number of process value" is
> >  total of "max number of worker processes" each database?
>
> >  Is this right??
>
> Not necessarily, unless you run the checkstorage process for each
> database at the same time.
> Otherwise, you only need to set the "max number of worker processes"
> to the maximum needed by any single checkstorage check.
>
> Michael