Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Check checks at compile time

4 posts in Product Futures Discussion Last posting was on 2003-04-15 15:16:31.0Z
Carl Kayser Posted on 2003-04-08 12:56:41.0Z
From: "Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov>
Subject: Check checks at compile time
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2003 08:56:41 -0400
Lines: 9
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <echbY6c$CHA.317@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: 146.142.35.25
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:1111
Article PK: 95351

Table-level constraints (and possibly column-level constraints) are not
checked at compile time for DDL:

check (existing_column < misspelled_column)

We "detect" this problem when we extract for SQL-Remote; ASA catches these
errors. With ASE the error is detected at insert/update execution.


Jason L. Froebe Posted on 2003-04-15 01:13:51.0Z
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2003 20:13:51 -0500
From: "Jason L. Froebe" <jfroebe@froebe.net>
User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.3) Gecko/20030312
X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Check checks at compile time
References: <echbY6c$CHA.317@forums-1-dub>
In-Reply-To: <echbY6c$CHA.317@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Message-ID: <#Nxa8yuADHA.221@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12-247-248-248.client.attbi.com 12.247.248.248
Lines: 14
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:1127
Article PK: 95367


Carl Kayser wrote:
> Table-level constraints (and possibly column-level constraints) are not
> checked at compile time for DDL:
>
> check (existing_column < misspelled_column)
>
> We "detect" this problem when we extract for SQL-Remote; ASA catches these
> errors. With ASE the error is detected at insert/update execution.
>
>

Hi Carl,

This looks more like a bug then a feature request. Have you talked to
Sybase TechSupport about this?

jason

--
Jason L. Froebe [Team Sybase]
http://jfroebe.bookcrossing.com


Bret Halford Posted on 2003-04-15 14:57:33.0Z
Message-ID: <3E9C1DDD.3ED34834@sybase.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 08:57:33 -0600
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.76 [en] (Windows NT 5.0; U)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: Check checks at compile time
References: <echbY6c$CHA.317@forums-1-dub> <#Nxa8yuADHA.221@forums-1-dub>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: vpn-dub-162.sybase.com 10.22.120.162
Lines: 25
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:1130
Article PK: 95370


"Jason L. Froebe" wrote:
>
> Carl Kayser wrote:
> > Table-level constraints (and possibly column-level constraints) are not
> > checked at compile time for DDL:
> >
> > check (existing_column < misspelled_column)
> >
> > We "detect" this problem when we extract for SQL-Remote; ASA catches these
> > errors. With ASE the error is detected at insert/update execution.
> >
> >
>
> Hi Carl,
>
> This looks more like a bug then a feature request. Have you talked to
> Sybase TechSupport about this?

The current behavior is not a bug and is documented. One reason to not
check
existing rows is to provide a way to allow exceptions to the
constraint. If
one wants to check existing rows, it is quite easy to run the
corresponding
query (although I do recognize that an option to check it at creation
time
would be easier still, and a useful enhancement.)

Feature request CR 289567 is open to have constraints checked at create
time.

-bret


Carl Kayser Posted on 2003-04-15 15:16:31.0Z
From: "Carl Kayser" <kayser_c@bls.gov>
References: <echbY6c$CHA.317@forums-1-dub> <#Nxa8yuADHA.221@forums-1-dub> <3E9C1DDD.3ED34834@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: Check checks at compile time
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 11:16:31 -0400
Lines: 49
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <uMOZaK2ADHA.200@forums-2-dub>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion
NNTP-Posting-Host: 146.142.35.25
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-2-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.ase.product_futures_discussion:1131
Article PK: 95371

"One reason to not check existing rows is to provide a way to allow
exceptions to the constraint." Huh? That won't work since the check will
be done at insert/update execution. (I want the DDL to be checked.)
Besides, I would think that "alter table" would be the way to temporarily
disable/enable a check constraint.

Has Bret been working too much lately? :). Or have I? Or both!

"Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3E9C1DDD.3ED34834@sybase.com...
>
>
> "Jason L. Froebe" wrote:
> >
> > Carl Kayser wrote:
> > > Table-level constraints (and possibly column-level constraints) are
not
> > > checked at compile time for DDL:
> > >
> > > check (existing_column < misspelled_column)
> > >
> > > We "detect" this problem when we extract for SQL-Remote; ASA catches
these
> > > errors. With ASE the error is detected at insert/update execution.
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Hi Carl,
> >
> > This looks more like a bug then a feature request. Have you talked to
> > Sybase TechSupport about this?
>
>
> The current behavior is not a bug and is documented. One reason to not
> check
> existing rows is to provide a way to allow exceptions to the
> constraint. If
> one wants to check existing rows, it is quite easy to run the
> corresponding
> query (although I do recognize that an option to check it at creation
> time
> would be easier still, and a useful enhancement.)
>
> Feature request CR 289567 is open to have constraints checked at create
> time.
>
> -bret