Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

ASA Clustering Fail-over Capability

4 posts in General Discussion Last posting was on 2003-03-27 16:19:16.0Z
Doug Stone Posted on 2003-03-26 17:02:28.0Z
From: "Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com>
Subject: ASA Clustering Fail-over Capability
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 09:02:28 -0800
Lines: 10
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: user-112vkdk.biz.mindspring.com 66.47.209.180
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:841
Article PK: 4000

We have a new customer that wants to use our pb8 product against ASA, but
wants a Fail-Over capability.
Does ASA support a scheme where the database duties of a failed box would be
seamlessly assumed by another ASA box

Thanks,
Doug


Jason Hinsperger Posted on 2003-03-26 18:07:45.0Z
From: "Jason Hinsperger" <NOJason_HinspergerSPAM@hotmail.com>
References: <edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA Clustering Fail-over Capability
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 13:07:45 -0500
Lines: 38
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <uZ4SuL88CHA.317@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: hinsperg-pc1.sybase.com 172.31.143.226
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:842
Article PK: 3996

ASA is not 'cluster aware', but the failover can be made to happen without
any human intervention. However, clients will be disconnected, uncommitted
transactions will be rolled back and they will have to reconnect to the
database after failover to continue working.
See a recent post (by me) in the
sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion for more details
specifically related to a cluster environment.

I haven't thought much about this idea, but if they are not using a cluster
set up, you may be able to set something similar up using database events on
the server to periodically poll for the ability to connect to a database and
if the database is unavailable, start it up.

--
Jason Hinsperger
International and Sustaining Engineering
iAnywhere Solutions

Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
--

"Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
news:edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub...
>
> We have a new customer that wants to use our pb8 product against ASA, but
> wants a Fail-Over capability.
> Does ASA support a scheme where the database duties of a failed box would
be
> seamlessly assumed by another ASA box
>
> Thanks,
> Doug
>
>


Doug Stone Posted on 2003-03-26 22:12:38.0Z
From: "Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com>
References: <edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub> <uZ4SuL88CHA.317@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA Clustering Fail-over Capability
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 14:12:38 -0800
Lines: 64
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1106
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1106
Message-ID: <eVkq$T#8CHA.324@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: user-112vkdk.biz.mindspring.com 66.47.209.180
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:845
Article PK: 3286

Jason, is the following true:
"I've found that Sybase ASA does not support Clustering.
However, ASA does suppport database replication. So, using the replication
capabilities of ASA, one would be able to setup any number of ASA servers
that are all receiving their data from the main ASA server. Then, should the
main server become unavailable, one of the replicated servers could become
the main server."
Thank you,

Doug

"Jason Hinsperger" <NOJason_HinspergerSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:uZ4SuL88CHA.317@forums-1-dub...
> ASA is not 'cluster aware', but the failover can be made to happen without
> any human intervention. However, clients will be disconnected,
uncommitted
> transactions will be rolled back and they will have to reconnect to the
> database after failover to continue working.
> See a recent post (by me) in the
> sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion for more details
> specifically related to a cluster environment.
>
> I haven't thought much about this idea, but if they are not using a
cluster
> set up, you may be able to set something similar up using database events
on
> the server to periodically poll for the ability to connect to a database
and
> if the database is unavailable, start it up.
>
> --
> Jason Hinsperger
> International and Sustaining Engineering
> iAnywhere Solutions
>
> Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
iAnywhere
> Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
> --
>
>
> "Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
> news:edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub...
> >
> > We have a new customer that wants to use our pb8 product against ASA,
but
> > wants a Fail-Over capability.
> > Does ASA support a scheme where the database duties of a failed box
would
> be
> > seamlessly assumed by another ASA box
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Doug
> >
> >
>
>


Stephen Rice Posted on 2003-03-27 16:19:16.0Z
From: "Stephen Rice" <srice_nospam@ianywhere.com>
References: <edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub> <uZ4SuL88CHA.317@forums-1-dub> <eVkq$T#8CHA.324@forums-1-dub>
Subject: Re: ASA Clustering Fail-over Capability
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:19:16 -0500
Lines: 88
Organization: iAnywhere Solutions
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1123
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2800.1123
Message-ID: <uvTcxzH9CHA.324@forums-1-dub>
Newsgroups: ianywhere.public.general
NNTP-Posting-Host: charger.intuit.com 208.240.243.170
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums-1-dub.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub ianywhere.public.general:847
Article PK: 3294

yes...though there is possibility of some latency depending on your setup.

Our Professional Services organization has setup systems like this on a
number of occasions

/steve

--
Stephen Rice
Technical Services Manager
iAnywhere Solutions

- Please Post-
Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the iAnywhere
Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer

"Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
news:eVkq$T#8CHA.324@forums-1-dub...
> Jason, is the following true:
> "I've found that Sybase ASA does not support Clustering.
> However, ASA does suppport database replication. So, using the replication
> capabilities of ASA, one would be able to setup any number of ASA servers
> that are all receiving their data from the main ASA server. Then, should
the
> main server become unavailable, one of the replicated servers could become
> the main server."
> Thank you,
>
> Doug
>
>
>
>
>
> "Jason Hinsperger" <NOJason_HinspergerSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:uZ4SuL88CHA.317@forums-1-dub...
> > ASA is not 'cluster aware', but the failover can be made to happen
without
> > any human intervention. However, clients will be disconnected,
> uncommitted
> > transactions will be rolled back and they will have to reconnect to the
> > database after failover to continue working.
> > See a recent post (by me) in the
> > sybase.public.sqlanywhere.product_futures_discussion for more details
> > specifically related to a cluster environment.
> >
> > I haven't thought much about this idea, but if they are not using a
> cluster
> > set up, you may be able to set something similar up using database
events
> on
> > the server to periodically poll for the ability to connect to a database
> and
> > if the database is unavailable, start it up.
> >
> > --
> > Jason Hinsperger
> > International and Sustaining Engineering
> > iAnywhere Solutions
> >
> > Whitepapers, TechDocs, and bug fixes are all available through the
> iAnywhere
> > Developer Community at www.ianywhere.com/developer
> > --
> >
> >
> > "Doug Stone" <nospamdstone@res-q.com> wrote in message
> > news:edV1sm78CHA.259@forums-1-dub...
> > >
> > > We have a new customer that wants to use our pb8 product against ASA,
> but
> > > wants a Fail-Over capability.
> > > Does ASA support a scheme where the database duties of a failed box
> would
> > be
> > > seamlessly assumed by another ASA box
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Doug
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>