Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

Saving Data in upper case in Data Window

5 posts in DataWindow Last posting was on 2008-05-27 23:10:46.0Z
hkhokhar Posted on 2008-05-27 07:23:33.0Z
From: hkhokhar <haroonkhokhar@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Saving Data in upper case in Data Window
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 00:23:33 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 8
Message-ID: <f7f0c0c5-fc57-4515-af34-b55910aa2157@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.173.41.46
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1211873013 23036 127.0.0.1 (27 May 2008 07:23:33 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 07:23:33 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com; posting-host=203.173.41.46; posting-account=KUkQVwoAAADo0EZafRQ9XiwIqMCGr5_c
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!nntp1.phx1.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!border2.nntp.dca.giganews.com!nntp.giganews.com!postnews.google.com!i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86960
Article PK: 416219

Hi All,

Is it possible to save any new data entered into Data Window in upper
case when using the Data Window Update feature.

Thanks,

Haroon


Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase] Posted on 2008-05-27 13:11:47.0Z
From: "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Saving Data in upper case in Data Window
Reply-To: NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com
Message-ID: <m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com>
References: <f7f0c0c5-fc57-4515-af34-b55910aa2157@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com>
X-Newsreader: Forte Agent 2.0/32.652
MIME-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Date: 27 May 2008 06:11:47 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1211893907 10.22.241.152 (27 May 2008 06:11:47 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 May 2008 06:11:47 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
Lines: 16
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86968
Article PK: 416225

Even though the user entered it in some other case? Why not just put
an Upper limit on the edit mask for the data?

On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:23:33 -0700 (PDT), hkhokhar

<haroonkhokhar@gmail.com> wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>Is it possible to save any new data entered into Data Window in upper
>case when using the Data Window Update feature.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Haroon


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-05-27 15:15:46.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <f7f0c0c5-fc57-4515-af34-b55910aa2157@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com> <m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com>
Subject: Re: Saving Data in upper case in Data Window
Lines: 28
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <483c25a2$1@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 May 2008 08:15:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1211901346 10.22.241.152 (27 May 2008 08:15:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 May 2008 08:15:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86969
Article PK: 416227

EditMask Mask property can use ! as an uppercase character, Edit has a Case
property which can be set to upper.
You could also alter the data in the ItemChanged event (with the advantage
that the user can see that the change has been done even before the update),
modify the SQL in the SQLPreview event to update with the DBMS uppercase
function, or (my favorite because it enforces the business rule whereever
the data comes from) an update trigger on the table.

"Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstrong@teamsybase.com>

wrote in message news:m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com...
>
> Even though the user entered it in some other case? Why not just put
> an Upper limit on the edit mask for the data?
>
> On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:23:33 -0700 (PDT), hkhokhar
> <haroonkhokhar@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Hi All,
>>
>>Is it possible to save any new data entered into Data Window in upper
>>case when using the Data Window Update feature.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>Haroon
>


hkhokhar Posted on 2008-05-27 22:42:08.0Z
From: hkhokhar <hkhokhar12@gmail.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
Subject: Re: Saving Data in upper case in Data Window
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:42:08 -0700 (PDT)
Organization: http://groups.google.com
Lines: 38
Message-ID: <91e06c59-ac34-4a56-bb1c-1be6d5e3bec9@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>
References: <f7f0c0c5-fc57-4515-af34-b55910aa2157@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com> <m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com> <483c25a2$1@forums-1-dub>
NNTP-Posting-Host: 203.173.41.46
Mime-Version: 1.0
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
X-Trace: posting.google.com 1211928128 28945 127.0.0.1 (27 May 2008 22:42:08 GMT)
X-Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
NNTP-Posting-Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 22:42:08 +0000 (UTC)
Complaints-To: groups-abuse@google.com
Injection-Info: v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com; posting-host=203.173.41.46; posting-account=QIUCmQoAAACIHVQC19hfEp5jIySLdlMD
User-Agent: G2/1.0
X-HTTP-UserAgent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.14) Gecko/20080404 Firefox/2.0.0.14,gzip(gfe),gzip(gfe)
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master!newssvr.sybase.com!news-sj-1.sprintlink.net!news-peer1.sprintlink.net!newsfeed.yul.equant.net!nntp1.roc.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nntp.gblx.net!nlpi057.nbdc.sbc.com!prodigy.net!nx01.iad01.newshosting.com!newshosting.com!198.186.194.250.MISMATCH!news-out.readnews.com!news-xxxfer.readnews.com!postnews.google.com!v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86972
Article PK: 416229

On May 28, 1:15 am, "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]"

<jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com> wrote:
> EditMask Mask property can use ! as an uppercase character, Edit has a Case
> property which can be set to upper.
> You could also alter the data in the ItemChanged event (with the advantage
> that the user can see that the change has been done even before the update),
> modify the SQL in the SQLPreview event to update with the DBMS uppercase
> function, or (my favorite because it enforces the business rule whereever
> the data comes from) an update trigger on the table.
>
> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com>
> wrote in messagenews:m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com...
>
>
>
> > Even though the user entered it in some other case? Why not just put
> > an Upper limit on the edit mask for the data?
>
> > On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:23:33 -0700 (PDT), hkhokhar
> > <haroonkhok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >>Hi All,
>
> >>Is it possible to save any new data entered into Data Window in upper
> >>case when using the Data Window Update feature.
>
> >>Thanks,
>
> >>Haroon

Thanks guys, appreciated, I feel the trigger technique is the best
option. You are right Jerry, if I set data to be uppercase from
application level, i need to make sure all paths connected to the
database, have uppercase property set. Why now just set it at database
level.

Thanks,
Haroon


"Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel Posted on 2008-05-27 23:10:46.0Z
From: "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]" <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow
References: <f7f0c0c5-fc57-4515-af34-b55910aa2157@i36g2000prf.googlegroups.com> <m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com> <483c25a2$1@forums-1-dub> <91e06c59-ac34-4a56-bb1c-1be6d5e3bec9@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: Saving Data in upper case in Data Window
Lines: 49
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2900.5512
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.5512
X-RFC2646: Format=Flowed; Original
NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
X-Original-NNTP-Posting-Host: vip152.sybase.com
Message-ID: <483c94f6@forums-1-dub>
Date: 27 May 2008 16:10:46 -0700
X-Trace: forums-1-dub 1211929846 10.22.241.152 (27 May 2008 16:10:46 -0700)
X-Original-Trace: 27 May 2008 16:10:46 -0700, vip152.sybase.com
X-Authenticated-User: TeamSybase
Path: forums-1-dub!not-for-mail
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.powerbuilder.datawindow:86973
Article PK: 416230

But bear in mind if the user enters lowercase it won't show as uppercase
until after update and retrieve, so you may want to set Upper in the edit
property as well, just as a visual cue to the user.

"hkhokhar" <hkhokhar12@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:91e06c59-ac34-4a56-bb1c-1be6d5e3bec9@v26g2000prm.googlegroups.com...
> On May 28, 1:15 am, "Jerry Siegel [TeamSybase]"
> <jNOsSPAMsiegel@yahoo!.com> wrote:
>> EditMask Mask property can use ! as an uppercase character, Edit has a
>> Case
>> property which can be set to upper.
>> You could also alter the data in the ItemChanged event (with the
>> advantage
>> that the user can see that the change has been done even before the
>> update),
>> modify the SQL in the SQLPreview event to update with the DBMS uppercase
>> function, or (my favorite because it enforces the business rule whereever
>> the data comes from) an update trigger on the table.
>>
>> "Bruce Armstrong [TeamSybase]" <NOCANSPAM_bruce.armstr...@teamsybase.com>
>> wrote in messagenews:m42o34tfk539ad57f9qngmnhm7o3fjmn1q@4ax.com...
>>
>>
>>
>> > Even though the user entered it in some other case? Why not just put
>> > an Upper limit on the edit mask for the data?
>>
>> > On Tue, 27 May 2008 00:23:33 -0700 (PDT), hkhokhar
>> > <haroonkhok...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> >>Hi All,
>>
>> >>Is it possible to save any new data entered into Data Window in upper
>> >>case when using the Data Window Update feature.
>>
>> >>Thanks,
>>
>> >>Haroon
>
> Thanks guys, appreciated, I feel the trigger technique is the best
> option. You are right Jerry, if I set data to be uppercase from
> application level, i need to make sure all paths connected to the
> database, have uppercase property set. Why now just set it at database
> level.
>
> Thanks,
> Haroon