Sybase NNTP forums - End Of Life (EOL)

The NNTP forums from Sybase - forums.sybase.com - are now closed.

All new questions should be directed to the appropriate forum at the SAP Community Network (SCN).

Individual products have links to the respective forums on SCN, or you can go to SCN and search for your product in the search box (upper right corner) to find your specific developer center.

slow query when >17 columns in PB select list

4 posts in Windows NT Last posting was on 2001-01-18 01:41:16.0Z
joe buhl Posted on 2001-01-17 23:04:25.0Z
Reply-To: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
From: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
Subject: slow query when >17 columns in PB select list
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:04:25 -0700
Lines: 24
Organization: video-on
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
Message-ID: <uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.41.162.201
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:1306
Article PK: 1088773

Hello,

We already asked this on the Power Builder list and didn't really get much
help so I thought I would try here.

ASE 12.0 SWR 9264 ESD on Solaris 2.6
open Client-(what ever shipped with 12.0)
Power biulder 7.0.2
Windows NT and 2000

When power builder executes a query with more than 17 columns in select list
it runs 3x slower. If we reduce select list down below this query speeds
up. How bizare. Running the query through a simple sql window within PB or
SQL ADV the queries run fine.

This leads me to believe the problem is related to the relationship betwee
open client and PB. We just came from a MSSQL 6.5 and did not have this
problem.

Anyone familiar with this problem?

Joe Buhl


joe buhl Posted on 2001-01-17 23:24:19.0Z
Reply-To: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
From: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
References: <uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com>
Subject: Re: slow query when >17 columns in PB select list
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:24:19 -0700
Lines: 34
Organization: video-on
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
Message-ID: <$qd1K9NgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.41.162.201
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:1305
Article PK: 1088772

Oooops. I just found the open client news group so pardon me for cross
posting.

Joe

"joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com> wrote in message
news:uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com...
> Hello,
>
> We already asked this on the Power Builder list and didn't really get much
> help so I thought I would try here.
>
> ASE 12.0 SWR 9264 ESD on Solaris 2.6
> open Client-(what ever shipped with 12.0)
> Power biulder 7.0.2
> Windows NT and 2000
>
> When power builder executes a query with more than 17 columns in select
list
> it runs 3x slower. If we reduce select list down below this query speeds
> up. How bizare. Running the query through a simple sql window within PB
or
> SQL ADV the queries run fine.
>
> This leads me to believe the problem is related to the relationship betwee
> open client and PB. We just came from a MSSQL 6.5 and did not have this
> problem.
>
> Anyone familiar with this problem?
>
> Joe Buhl
>
>


Bret Halford Posted on 2001-01-18 01:07:04.0Z
Message-ID: <3A6641B7.F1D38821@sybase.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:07:04 -0700
From: Bret Halford <bret@sybase.com>
Organization: Sybase, Inc.
X-Mailer: Mozilla 4.5 [en]C-CCK-MCD (WinNT; I)
X-Accept-Language: en
MIME-Version: 1.0
Subject: Re: slow query when >17 columns in PB select list
References: <uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com> <$qd1K9NgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
Lines: 29
NNTP-Posting-Host: bret-pc.sybase.com 157.133.80.211
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:1304
Article PK: 1088770

I think this may happen if you cross the boundery for a row fitting nto a single
network
packet.

-bret

joe buhl wrote:

> Oooops. I just found the open client news group so pardon me for cross
> posting.
>
> Joe
> "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com> wrote in message
> news:uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com...
> > Hello,
> >
> > We already asked this on the Power Builder list and didn't really get much
> > help so I thought I would try here.
> >
> > ASE 12.0 SWR 9264 ESD on Solaris 2.6
> > open Client-(what ever shipped with 12.0)
> > Power biulder 7.0.2
> > Windows NT and 2000
> >
> > When power builder executes a query with more than 17 columns in select
> list
> > it runs 3x slower. If we reduce select list down below this query speeds
> > up. How bizare. Running the query through a simple sql window within PB
> or
> > SQL ADV the queries run fine.
> >
> > This leads me to believe the problem is related to the relationship betwee
> > open client and PB. We just came from a MSSQL 6.5 and did not have this
> > problem.
> >
> > Anyone familiar with this problem?
> >
> > Joe Buhl
> >
> >


joe buhl Posted on 2001-01-18 01:41:16.0Z
Reply-To: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
From: "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com>
References: <uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com> <$qd1K9NgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com> <3A6641B7.F1D38821@sybase.com>
Subject: Re: slow query when >17 columns in PB select list
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 18:41:16 -0700
Lines: 60
Organization: video-on
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Newsreader: Microsoft Outlook Express 5.00.2919.6600
X-MimeOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V5.00.2919.6600
Message-ID: <xpXesJPgAHA.216@forums.sybase.com>
Newsgroups: sybase.public.sqlserver.nt
NNTP-Posting-Host: 12.41.162.201
Path: forums-1-dub!forums-master.sybase.com!forums.sybase.com
Xref: forums-1-dub sybase.public.sqlserver.nt:1303
Article PK: 1088771

Bret,

should I bump up the packet size to 1024?

joe

"Bret Halford" <bret@sybase.com> wrote in message
news:3A6641B7.F1D38821@sybase.com...
> I think this may happen if you cross the boundery for a row fitting nto a
single
> network
> packet.
>
> -bret
>
>
> joe buhl wrote:
>
> > Oooops. I just found the open client news group so pardon me for cross
> > posting.
> >
> > Joe
> > "joe buhl" <jbuhl@video-on.com> wrote in message
> > news:uISYDyNgAHA.316@forums.sybase.com...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > We already asked this on the Power Builder list and didn't really get
much
> > > help so I thought I would try here.
> > >
> > > ASE 12.0 SWR 9264 ESD on Solaris 2.6
> > > open Client-(what ever shipped with 12.0)
> > > Power biulder 7.0.2
> > > Windows NT and 2000
> > >
> > > When power builder executes a query with more than 17 columns in
select
> > list
> > > it runs 3x slower. If we reduce select list down below this query
speeds
> > > up. How bizare. Running the query through a simple sql window within
PB
> > or
> > > SQL ADV the queries run fine.
> > >
> > > This leads me to believe the problem is related to the relationship
betwee
> > > open client and PB. We just came from a MSSQL 6.5 and did not have
this
> > > problem.
> > >
> > > Anyone familiar with this problem?
> > >
> > > Joe Buhl
> > >
> > >
>